LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Can you tell me where the restriction on a UK registered vehicle you mention in your post comes from. This is the first time I have come across this and I'm a bit puzzled to say the least. My Saga insurance policy gives me unlimited cover in the E.U. for the life of the policy so I assume there must be something else that I don't know about!

I was under the impression that a British registered vehicle was only allowed in Europe for a maximum of 6months after which time it had to be registered on Spanish plates etc, and I assume that the same applied to the rest of Europe, this was before Bre$#!T, but I don’t know what the rules are now regarding temporary inmport of a vehicle is.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Just checked it out on Gov. website & confirmed by RAC. its 12 months ! Your guy must have breeched a different rule. I did think it wierd that the 90/180 would apply to vehicles but then again this is Fun and all sorts of weird things get posted.

Totally agree with you, the thing is that when you hear of these incidents of people being refused entry etc,etc, it appears that the person who relates it to you or posts it has always been told about it by someone else who was talking to some guy down the pub, it’s never straight from the actual person who something has happened to, which eventually turns out to be a world away from the original version that the person posted or told you about, so If I’m told something that sounds a little controversial, unless I get something first hand I am always a little dubious about it’s content. Just sayin....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
question

am I reading this correctly, 90 days in shengen, 90 days in non shengen such as Croatia, then up to 90 days back in shengen is doable for the traveller but not for his/her UK registered motorhome?

Is this correct, if so what are the penalties?

another question

does anyone want to adopt me and/or maybe marriage is on the cards, so i can apply for a new non Uk passport.

All expenses paid, even the divorce and i’ll throw a few quid in for the “do” 🤣

serious enquiries only need reply

Al 👍😉
I think your first question sounds about right, though I don’t know what the penalties would be, as for your second question if you find a suitable adopter will you pass them on once you’ve got your E.U. passport, thanks.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Would be interested to know where will the permanent camper go after 90 days especially those with permanent converted pitches. Thxs
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Those who have permanent pitches and UK passports will be subject to the 80/190 rule and will continue to pay for their pitch when there in the UK. If Your referring to full timers they too will have to leave the E.U. after completing 80/180. There are no exceptions for UK Passport holders with the exception of those who are too ill to travel.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
We too have been on Villajo(y)sa and found it OK but a little cramped. My mother was Irish as is my wife (a red head too !). Paddy passports we have and not subject to the 90m day rule.
Only just started reading this thread and I'm confused
PhilandMena i see your location as Corby thus your ancestry must be Scottish, are you telling porkies somewhere.
😄😄🙁😷😇

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp

Not a bad site but a bit isolated..BUSBY.

We used to stay on Los Jarales campsite up until 20 years ago as we had a caravan then it’s about a mile up the carriageway from Cabopino and we found Los J to be better positioned for local supermarket shops and bars, Cabopino on the other hand was a bit isolated not being near shops etc, but you are on a bus route to Marbella in one direction and Fuengirola in the other.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Totally incorrect.
Whilst in the EU & still in force for all other member states it is 90 consecutive days & yo become a "resident" Some states require yo to register your residency bt even if they don't in the event of problems you would be treated as one.In states were they require yo to register, Like Spain , Greece or Cyprus, you cannot be thrown out if you fail to register but the offence you are fined for is " failing to register"
You could leave after 89 days pop next door & return after 24 hors for another 89 days but you could not & cannot do 180 days straight off.
If yo stay 183 cumulative days in a calendar year you become "tax resident"
You can be tax resident without being a resident & vice -versa.

& as i posted on the other thread the reply from the EU was specific in stating that national laws now took precedence over how long a Uk vehicle could be in a state.
Germany & Romania both use 90 days regardless of what passport the driver is using. I doubt that many other countries will be any different.
The UK government website is specific in its ability to state nothing that will upset the UK public. They will absolutely refuse to state anyting that will get ridicule heaped on them.

When I asked the same question of them at the same time as the EU they replied with mutiple different answers without stating anything whatsoever . Even when I sent them the direct EU reply stating that national laws cover the amount of time a UK vehicle is now allowed in the country they refused to reply.
I said further up the quote that UK citizens could spend 2 x 90 day periods in EU, just not in period, so if you quote the comment in context, my assertion is not 'totally incorrect'

Steve

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Only just started reading this thread and I'm confused
PhilandMena i see your location as Corby thus your ancestry must be Scottish, are you telling porkies somewhere.
😄😄🙁😷😇
I still find it amazing the amount of people who live within a stones throw of my home town Corby and know so little of its history. In 1936 Stewarts and LLoyds started to build what was to become the largest steel manufacturing producing plant in Europe. When the second world war started, my mother who was 15 at the time and worked in a mill in Bessbrook (Nr. Ireland) came to Corby on her own and started to work in the Bessemer Converter steel making plant. She worked alongside countless other women at that time and this is where she met my father, who was born in a local village and refused entry into the armed forces because he was a locomotive driver and was needed for the war effort.
Before and during this time the town had a great influx of Scottish workers to support the steel production and the town soon came to be known as little Scotland.
After the war we had a huge influx of Polish, Irish and workers from most countries working in Corby. A dirty, rough and ready town but very sociable.
I was born here and do not consider myself a sweaty sock !. I can well understand why your avatar is the 1and only. I feel for you ! Keep Safe. Don't go out on your own.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
First time I went to Corby as a young lad I stopped at a fuel station, the Lady must be from Scotland I thought.. Next I stopped at a pedestrian to ask directions, another Scot, wow what are the chances of that. Later I get to the pub I was working at and the landlady and her husband are Scottish! 😳 Holy moly I'm in the twilight zone... The customers... Scottish! I must be having an accent identification breakdown 😵. They were very nice, got drinks and dinner while I was there.

Later on at home, mummy explained it to me 🤭

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Hello,
We use ACSI but most sites give a good discount if staying 31 night plus, so Rate 2 looks the best option. We are booked on Villajoysa Camping Imperium for 31 nights with metered electric.

Don't forget that now, you can't stay in the EU for more than 90 days at a time, but you can get a Visa for longer I think? (not sure on that)

Enjoy Villasol.
Al.
No such thing as a tourist visa for beyond 90 days I’m afraid. Basically 4 types of visa. Work, student, non lucrative (for retirees with about 32000e per couple ‘per annum’ non earned income) and a visa where you have a shed load of dosh. All need to be applied for in the UK and there are a lot of hoops and for ‘people of a certain age’ the big ones are private medical cover and Spanish driving test.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hello,
We use ACSI but most sites give a good discount if staying 31 night plus, so Rate 2 looks the best option. We are booked on Villajoysa Camping Imperium for 31 nights with metered electric.

Don't forget that now, you can't stay in the EU for more than 90 days at a time, but you can get a Visa for longer I think? (not sure on that)

Enjoy Villasol.
Al.
The staff at Villasol confirmed to me the ACSI rate was the better deal if staying for no longer than 2 months , after that the non ACSI long term rate worked out cheaper.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
I think most Funsters have got this by now Clive. Well I would hope so. Still a friendly reminder does no harm.
Spoke to at least half a dozen Funsters at recent meets and they had absolutely no idea about the 90 day stuff. To be fair if they weren’t ‘long termers’ then it’s understandable.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We used to stay on Los Jarales campsite up until 20 years ago as we had a caravan then it’s about a mile up the carriageway from Cabopino and we found Los J to be better positioned for local supermarket shops and bars, Cabopino on the other hand was a bit isolated not being near shops etc, but you are on a bus route to Marbella in one direction and Fuengirola in the other.
Thanks Gwyntaxi! We decided to book Cabopino from end Nov until middle April. We love to cycle and walk, so bars, restaurants and supermarkets being a few kilometres away is not an issue :giggle:. Being on a bus route will help on those wet days and allow us to get to the railway station in Fuengirola for ventures further afield!

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Spoke to at least half a dozen Funsters at recent meets and they had absolutely no idea about the 90 day stuff. To be fair if they weren’t ‘long termers’ then it’s understandable.
I’m amazed that these folk had not heard of the 90 days rule given that they are motorhome owners, that said if they stick to the UK then I suppose it’s possible I suppose 😉

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Let us know when you are there Phil and we will pop through for the day and have a catch up, if you'll have us!

We're hoping to be over again early November til early jan - then off to maroc 🇲🇦
We will be passing through at some point too. It would be great if the timings work out to meet up.

We too are lucky enough to have one Irish passport between us (Colins) and an application in for Citizenship for me. But yes there is no movement on citizenship applications since covid started.
Hi Dazzlin,
Have you made enquiries regarding the ferry to Morocco, I have read that they are only taking freight and residents but not Motorhomes and general public, it’s a Moroccan issue apparently not Spanish. Just sayin

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Lidle a walk down the dual carriageway but you come across dead dogs and loads of rubbish on the way.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks for the info. So I could go to France for 89 days then move to Portugal for 89 days and then Spain for 89 if I wish (Irish passport holder). All I need to check is my Motorhome Insurance. For info I don't intend to do this but hypothetically I could.
For you as a person yes ,correct. If the vehicle is Irish that is also ok. According to the EU if you are using an Irish passport & driving a Uk registered vehicle then the vehicles ability to stay in a country depends on national laws. Germany & Romania both only allow 90 days for the UK vehicle.,as was posted far back in the thread. Other countries could be 🤷‍♂️

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Hi Dazzlin,
Have you made enquiries regarding the ferry to Morocco, I have read that they are only taking freight and residents but not Motorhomes and general public, it’s a Moroccan issue apparently not Spanish. Just sayin

Thanks, yes, we are aware that the ferries are not yet confirmed.

Due to that, and the fact our van is not back on the road yet, we are flying to our villa in Spain on Tuesday - til end of December, then flying to Cyprus (non-schengen) January - march, before flying back to our place in Spain, April to July. 😎

Hoping to be on the road again for UK summer... 🤞🏻

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We're booked into Villasol from December until March but it now depends on DVLA. Sent my driving licence renewal off with all medical stuff in August and nothing has happened. As they are now on a lazy protest I'm doubting if it will arrive in time. Gutted.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We're booked into Villasol from December until March but it now depends on DVLA. Sent my driving licence renewal off with all medical stuff in August and nothing has happened. As they are now on a lazy protest I'm doubting if it will arrive in time. Gutted.
If your van is less than 3.5t you can request an ordinary licence without the C1 to drive abroad untill your C1 licence is cleared. but if you have any medical history to obtain your C1 you may have to have a treadmill test.(y)

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If your van is less than 3.5t you can request an ordinary licence without the C1 to drive abroad untill your C1 licence is cleared. but if you have any medical history to obtain your C1 you may have to have a treadmill test.(y)
My van is over 4.5t so not that easy. According to the brain dead at Swansea I am allowed to drive until my licence arrives but only in the UK.
I'm not due the antiquated treadmill test this year. I assume my hospital have given it to our local Beamish Museum.
No wonder there is a shortage of HGV drivers if they cannot get licences.
Rant over, for now.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
PhilandMena Hi, just a question about gas and electric prices on Villasol, last time we managed to get by on solar and gas. What are they charging per kW now and what does an 11kg bottle of propane cost? What would you recommend? Hoping to be over in January

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
PhilandMena Hi, just a question about gas and electric prices on Villasol, last time we managed to get by on solar and gas. What are they charging per kW now and what does an 11kg bottle of propane cost? What would you recommend? Hoping to be over in January
Electricity is 0.41€ per Kwh (Wow that's expensive. twice the cost of electricity in our apartment and 4 times the cost of our off peak rate..)
15€ for a Propane 11kg on official Repsol, when bought locally, web site, increasing though, as is all fuel.
Average cost of Autogas 0.80€ can be found cheaper, (for information purposes only.)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My recommendation would be to get the ACSI rate if staying for less than two months as you get 4 KW/h of electricity free. (This was also the recommendation made by Villasol office staff when I enquired about the two different rates on offer). If your staying for more than two months then pay the lower daily rate without the free Lecce. I will use gas for my fridge and will not be connected to the lecce point during the day, as like you I have solar and a 200 AH battery bank. I will connect the EHU after dark to run a small oil heater for an hour or so at night and again first thing in the morning when its freezing. I will monitor my lecce usage and adjust accordingly. Lets hope its going to be a warmer winter in Beni this year, compared to last year. Edit! I would book sharpish as energy prices are going up in Spain and I would not be surprised if campsite energy costs rise accordingly for those who have yet to make a booking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back