Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
question

am I reading this correctly, 90 days in shengen, 90 days in non shengen such as Croatia, then up to 90 days back in shengen is doable for the traveller but not for his/her UK registered motorhome?

Is this correct, if so what are the penalties?

another question

does anyone want to adopt me and/or maybe marriage is on the cards, so i can apply for a new non Uk passport.

All expenses paid, even the divorce and i’ll throw a few quid in for the “do” 🤣

serious enquiries only need reply

Al 👍😉

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
i must admit this has been making me wonder how it would work when people are using a second passport from an EU state but driving a UK registered vehicle? It can also all get a bit messy as the general rules now do not apply to UK nationals residing in the EU and EU nationals residing in the UK. National rules are applicable in these cases.

It is worse when you have a UK vehicle being driven by a UK national & resident, but using an Eu passport in whilst in europe? Is the actual vehicle being legally driven?
It is far different to a person alone travelling by plane & using multiple passports as it is only the person who has to be legal, whereas
I'd not want to be involved in an accident with it all undecided?
My uncle lives in Germany. He was on his way back to Dusseldorf, and teamed up with this ppl. He actually intervened at the border being a German speaker, and the border stuff told him frankly to mind his business as this ppl are in breach of the law in regards overstaying a vehicle registered in UK. That’s all I know now. He rung us up and gave the heads up so we don’t fall in trouble. We will be on time as we’ll stop to service the van in Germany. Better service, and parts are there already. In Ro you are allowed only 90days stay with a UK vehicle now. Each state I guess is different. The reason they hot on the plates now, allot of them about overstayed before brexit. I will look into getting German plates in the future,

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
question

am I reading this correctly, 90 days in shengen, 90 days in non shengen such as Croatia, then up to 90 days back in shengen is doable for the traveller but not for his/her UK registered motorhome?

Is this correct, if so what are the penalties?

another question

does anyone want to adopt me and/or maybe marriage is on the cards, so i can apply for a new non Uk passport.

All expenses paid, even the divorce and i’ll throw a few quid in for the “do” 🤣

serious enquiries only need reply

Al 👍😉
I think it's all nonsense and scare and possibly a bit of mischeif to suggest the 90/180 rule applies to U.K. registered vehicles. The Gov website is clear that a UK registered vehicle can be used in the E.U. for 12 months. Nobody has produced any information from an official source to the contrary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Looking into this in more detail, it is possible that a limitation of 3 months could be imposed by one's Insurance company as quite a few insurance companies will only issue a green card for 3 months ! However, my recent trip into the E.U. from the U.K. involved no vehicle paperwork checks on entering or leaving the E.U. and no checks what so ever when crossing E.U. boarders. My insurance covers me in the E.U. for the duration of the policy. I really can't image plod starting to check insurance policies at boarder crossings, for me it does not quite add up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looking into this in more detail, it is possible that a limitation of 3 months could be 8mposed by one's Insurance company as quite a few insurance companies will only issue a green card for 3 months ! However, my recent trip into the E.U. from the U.K. involved no vehicle paperwork checks on entering or leaving the E.U. and no checks what so ever when crossing E.U. boarders.
Since early August no Green Card is required.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I think it's all nonsense and scare and possibly a bit of mischeif to suggest the 90/180 rule applies to U.K. registered vehicles. The Gov website is clear that a UK registered vehicle can be used in the E.U. for 12 months. Nobody has produced any information from an official source to the contrary.
i’m very much thinking the same Phil tbh, i’ve seen nothing from anyone anywhere to back it up as yet. I think as long as your vehicle does not remain in the same country for more than 180 days then there shouldn’t be an issue.

Time will tell I suppose

Just got to get this EU passport job sorted now, the missus isn’t thrilled about me seeking a new “foreign” partner but needs must 🤣

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Could it be more to do with having to reregister the vehicle in the country after a certain time ? I know we always carried copies of our ferry crossings when visiting in the UK because there were checks on how long foreign registered vehicles had been in the country.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Just checked it out on Gov. website & confirmed by RAC. its 12 months ! Your guy must have breeched a different rule. I did think it wierd that the 90/180 would apply to vehicles but then again this is Fun and all sorts of weird things get posted.
I have no idea about the 90 day rule for UK vehicles in Schengen but it's an interesting thought.

You refer to the Gov website which really isn't the definitive law authority ......

For example, as Raul says, in Romania a UK reg vehicle can only stay there 90 days. There is also no mention of the usual ' no more than six months in one country rule"

Screenshot_20210914-203306-213.png

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Could it be more to do with having to reregister the vehicle in the country after a certain time ? I know we always carried copies of our ferry crossings when visiting in the UK because there were checks on how long foreign registered vehicles had been in the country.
yes this is how understand it, with regards to Spain i believe that after 180 consecutive days the vehicle has to be registered onto Spanish plates.
As with a lot of things it’s been overlooked for many years but things are different since Jan 1st 2021 😉

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Unfortunately since Brexit you can’t stay longer than 90 days

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
m I reading this correctly, 90 days in shengen, 90 days in non shengen such as Croatia, then up to 90 days back in shengen is doable for the traveller but not for his/her UK registered motorhome?
No you aren't. The 'traveller' is using an Eu passport but driving a UK vehicle.The question is what are the NATIONAL country rules as Eu rules do not apply as per my last post.
The Gov website is clear that a UK registered vehicle can be used in the E.U. for 12 months.
Yes but that is the UK governmenets allowance for the UK citizens.It has noting to do with what the E U or individual countries now require?

You may need to quantify that statement as it does not apply to us and for that matter many other UK citizens living in the UK.
But you aren't a " UK citizen living in the UK" when you are using an EU country passport?
You are an Irish passport holder driving a UK registered vehicle= Why?
To the foreign official you are something fishy as they are not going to be able to comprehend an Irish citizen allowed to live in the UK without registering & having " permanent right of abode" stamped in the UK passport ?
The same as they could/cannot comprehend a Jersey vehicle not requiring an MOt?

AS I said in the previous post & stated the
""rules now do not apply to UK nationals residing in the EU and EU nationals residing in the UK. National rules are applicable in these cases."

from here

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/registration-abroad/index_en.htm

scroll to the ! in triangle at bottom.

& to me you would come under " EU nationals residing in the UK", when presenting an irish passport in a UK vehicle.

Don't get me wrong I am merely presenting the probabilities& possibilities that you should be aware of that could likely happen,& probably will do in the future , which is what I do.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No you aren't. The 'traveller' is using an Eu passport but driving a UK vehicle.The question is what are the NATIONAL country rules as Eu rules do not apply as per my last post.

Yes but that is the UK governmenets allowance for the UK citizens.It has noting to do with what the E U or individual countries now require?

But you aren't a " UK citizen living in the UK" when you are using an EU country passport?
You are an Irish passport holder driving a UK registered vehicle= Why?
To the foreign official you are something fishy as they are not going to be able to comprehend an Irish citizen allowed to live in the UK without registering & having " permanent right of abode" stamped in the UK passport ?
The same as they could/cannot comprehend a Jersey vehicle not requiring an MOt?

AS I said in the previous post & stated the
""rules now do not apply to UK nationals residing in the EU and EU nationals residing in the UK. National rules are applicable in these cases."

from here

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/registration-abroad/index_en.htm

scroll to the ! in triangle at bottom.

& to me you would come under " EU nationals residing in the UK", when presenting an irish passport in a UK vehicle.

Don't get me wrong I am merely presenting the probabilities& possibilities that you should be aware of that could likely happen,& probably will do in the future , which is what I do.
Gus, me old friut pastel! That must be one of your most feeble replies to date. Talk about clutching at straws and muddying the waters. I am a UK citizen with dual nationality. I have a UK N.I. number, U.K. passport, registered with a U.K. medical practice, am intimate with Coventry and a fully fledged FLT. I also shower at least once a month and change my underwear weekly, you can't get more British than that mate.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Gus, me old friut pastel! That must be one of your most feeble replies to date. Talk about clutching at straws and muddying the waters. I am a UK citizen with dual nationality. I have a UK N.I. number, U.K. passport, registered with a U.K. medical practice, am intimate with Coventry and a fully fledged FLT. I also shower at least once a month and change my underwear weekly, you can't get more British than that mate.
None of which matters. All of the above counts for nothing ,& always has done, when you are out for over the allowed periods.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I didn’t meant to spoil anyone’s plans. I was just intrigued how you can stay with a UK plate more than 90 days in a EU country. I share what I know from personal experience and what happened to others. Each will pass a judgement for them self’s. Some ppl can be caught out without knowing. I’m not trying to contradict anyone, just present some facts. It seems (maybe), not every country has the same allowances for UK vehicles. I can tell you for sure, the MOT is something you can’t do on line, and they know that. They also know about askmid for quite some time.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We are like Phil and Mena, dual nationals through parents birth.

Some weeks ago, I contacted the Irish Consulate and asked the question if we could remain in EU for longer than 90 days. I was advised we could as we have Irish passports.

The UK and Ireland have a special, reciprocal arrangement regarding living in the UK nationality in that you do not need to change nationality / have indefinite leave to remain stamped in your passport if staying in the UK permanently. You can travel to Ireland on a Driving Licence, no passport required, no indefinite leave to remain stamped in your passport. These rules are recognised by the EU.

We just need to abide by the countries own import rules regarding the van.

My mother and father are Irish, they have lived in England since 1950's, both have Irish passports, never changed nationality and are free to travel in there UK registered vehicle across the EU, the same as us.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I am also not sure how Irish passport and U.K. vehicles work. Maybe it does but thankfully French registered vehicle and french passport does !

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am also not sure how Irish passport and U.K. vehicles work. Maybe it does but thankfully French registered vehicle and french passport does !
It's fancyful speculation, mischeif and probably a lot of bordem thrown in for good measure. So far, no one who questions the legality of having a UK registered vehicle in the E.U. for 90 days plus has been able to back it up with any official source, just hearsay and speculation.
The thread has now been hijacked away from its original course and we have drifted into the realm of fantasy and speculation.

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Sorry Phil, will let the thread return to OP and report back on how we get on returning to UK after 106 days at end of October and our return to Europe on 24th November, for a further 5 months.

We are thinking of staying around Beni or poss Marbella, does anyone have any feedback on on Cabopino?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes your so right! We have found campsites in Spain this coming winter, offering much, much lower prices, some including electricity too. However, these do tend to be somewhat isolated with smaller pitches and minimal facilities. We have overwintered on Villasol before, it's a very well run modern campsite with very good facilities and good sized plots. The location is one of the best places in Spain to over winter.
Sorry Phil, will let the thread return to OP and report back on how we get on returning to UK after 106 days at end of October and our return to Europe on 24th November, for a further 5 months.

We are thinking of staying around Beni or poss Marbella, does anyone have any feedback on on Cabopino?
Not a bad site but a bit isolated..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back