LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you don't want it stolen then find a way to disable it rather than add things remove one thing 😉

If its to prevent it being broken in to then deadlocks and an alarm perhaps.

But all the well known security devices can be cut off with a cordless grinder in under a few minutes. Professional theives come tooled up for that. But i guarantee they dont bring a selection of spare parts to get it running.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hmm 3 minutes they lasted on test.

Theres videos on youtube
Per my earlier post can you share one as I cannot seem to find any , perhaps it is my search terms .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't know if diesels have any easily removed and carried parts like the old petrol cars. In my youth it was common to remove the rotor arm, easy to get at and put in your pocket.
Been looking at steering locks and eventually went for stoplock Pro elite. Obviously can still be removed with power tools but took the longest in trials. Cutting the steering wheel, if correctly fitted over a spoke wouldn't leave much to steer with. The diskloc at twice the price took less time and is an awkward shape to store. Apparently the older Crooklock types can be removed in seconds.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Per my earlier post can you share one as I cannot seem to find any , perhaps it is my search terms .
I've posted them in the past when disklok was mentioned. I can't remember the titles of the videos but they were from TV shows etc showing how easy they were removed. With the now easily accessible cordless tools . Nothing made out of metal is a big detterant to a thief.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I've posted them in the past when disklok was mentioned. I can't remember the titles of the videos but they were from TV shows etc showing how easy they were removed. With the now easily accessible cordless tools . Nothing made out of metal is a big detterant to a thief.
Post in thread 'Disklok - Silly Question!' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/disklok-silly-question.164514/post-2589766

Diskloc cut and removed. Approx. 2/5 of the way through the video I think.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I sometimes think some people get a false sense of security staying on a site rather than an aire or wilding. Although I have no figures I would expect there were more thefts on sites, just an easier target with more potential vehicles and because of the large numbers staying, nobody would be alert to a stranger wandering about.
When we were invited to see a new friends vehicle on a camp site we arrive and just walked in - weren’t sure what it looked like so wandered around for ages looking at each motorhome trying to see if we could see our friends. not challenged once although we must of looked suspicious!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
On the Patriot motorcycle disc lock thread someone tried getting access to it with their grinder and showed it was almost impossible to grind off 👍

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
On the Patriot motorcycle disc lock thread someone tried getting access to it with their grinder and showed it was almost impossible to grind off 👍
Nothing is impossible to grind off unless its made of Titanium. I removed a wheel clamp in less than a minute .... regularly cut padlocks off.

Only recently removed an expensive motor bike lock from my mates gs1250 as he had left the keys on the isle of lewis and the bike was here in Fife. Barely scratched the cutting disc and it was off. Think he said that lock cost £90 and was insurance approved 😉

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Here it is :

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Here it is :

You dont need to cut the pin though an angle grinder will cut straight through the body of it anyway

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Most vans now have some way of connecting to the internet - mifi etc.
Install one or more cctv cameras like this Camera which will send a video to your phone if it detects anything - maybe a nice mugshot!
Also add a cheap self-monitored tracker like this - Tracker. Depending on what package you add, you can geofence your van and be alerted to any movement.
This coupled with delaying items like locks etc., could enable a timely responce from yourself or police.
All in all though, you cannot stop a determined thief, especially when equiped with battery disc cutters etc. Just do what you think is appropriate and, as Jim and Jake have said, make your van look more difficult to steal than others.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Install one or more cctv cameras like this Camera which will send a video to your phone if it detects anything - maybe a nice mugshot!
Also add a cheap self-monitored tracker like this - Tracker. Depending on what package you add, you can geofence your van and be alerted to any movement.
This coupled with delaying items like locks etc., could enable a timely responce from yourself or police.
All in all though, you cannot stop a determined thief, especially when equiped with battery disc cutters etc. Just do what you think is appropriate and, as Jim and Jake have said, make your van look more difficult to steal than others.
Keep all the blinds closed and no one can see if theres any locks on wheels or seats etc or not.

Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis
The suggested 'camera' and 'tracker' links don't work, can you update please.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
IMHO you won’t go far wrong have a Strikeback and non starter fitted and not bother with all the other fiddly bits and pieces as long as you have all your doors and hatches alarmed.👍😊

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
IMHO you won’t go far wrong have a Strikeback and non starter fitted and not bother with all the other fiddly bits and pieces as long as you have all your doors and hatches alarmed.👍😊

i take it you mean something like this

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
i take it you mean something like this

Whichever brand you choose I quoted Strikeback because I have experience of the system and it’s tried and tested😊

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
Got to say never heard of strike back. I might check it out. Hopefully it’s cheaper

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Got to say never heard of strike back. I might check it out. Hopefully it’s cheaper
It’s very good and it’s unique to Vanbitz if you give them you membership number from MHF you get a discount Eddie is a member on here👍😊
There is usually an add for them at the top of the page😊

Reactions: f6c

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I’ve just fitted a steering lock. I’m fully aware that these can be defeated; some quickly, some take time and tools. My general theory is that from a distance it can be seen and therefore opportunists will look else where or move on. If nothing visible, they will come closer and maybe have a go. Pedal claws and seat turned and locked all need the opportunist to be too close for my liking. I don’t have blinds, but have a curtain so the steering wheel is still visible but you cannot see in. So with flashing blue growler led, Vanbitz stickers, Neos camera stickers and tracker stickers all visible as well, hopefully the scumbags won’t bother with my van.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I’ve just fitted a steering lock. I’m fully aware that these can be defeated; some quickly, some take time and tools. My general theory is that from a distance it can be seen and therefore opportunists will look else where or move on. If nothing visible, they will come closer and maybe have a go. Pedal claws and seat turned and locked all need the opportunist to be too close for my liking. I don’t have blinds, but have a curtain so the steering wheel is still visible but you cannot see in. So with flashing blue growler led, Vanbitz stickers, Neos camera stickers and tracker stickers all visible as well, hopefully the scumbags won’t bother with my van.
The full cover steering locks are best to prevent access to the wheel entirely . The outer disc should just turn an not turn the wheel underneath. The old fashioned "crooklocks" that go across the wheel with hooks are defeatable in seconds with a hacksaw through the rim of the wheel. I have seen many stolen recovered vehicles at the auctions that needed new steering wheels due to being cut

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
That’s the reason I had the dislock
Just too show would be scumbag that I take security reasonably serious

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
on a separate point are all faraday bags/boxes the same and are they recommended

Apr 11, 2022
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
I had a long conversation with Carl Meyer ( owner of Out Smart The Thief) re security. . He made some very interesting comments . One point he made, is that visible deterrents only work with opportunistic thieves, the professional thief will check your van out a couple of days prior to stealing it, they will make a note of all the security devices they can see, and come with the most appropriate kit to remove them. His view is that more discrete security is far more robust, as it will come as a surprise to them and hopefully stop them and they were not expecting it. So fuel supply locks etc work, steering wheel locks less so ( against professionals)

His second point was, he has never experienced a motorhome, or caravan being stolen from a busy campsite, they may well go from storage on campsites, or very quiet sites out of season, but busy sites are about as safe as you can get . Just his thoughts which I thought were interesting.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I had a long conversation with Carl Meyer ( owner of Out Smart The Thief) re security. . He made some very interesting comments . One point he made, is that visible deterrents only work with opportunistic thieves, the professional thief will check your van out a couple of days prior to stealing it, they will make a note of all the security devices they can see, and come with the most appropriate kit to remove them. His view is that more discrete security is far more robust, as it will come as a surprise to them and hopefully stop them and they were not expecting it. So fuel supply locks etc work, steering wheel locks less so ( against professionals)

His second point was, he has never experienced a motorhome, or caravan being stolen from a busy campsite, they may well go from storage on campsites, or very quiet sites out of season, but busy sites are about as safe as you can get . Just his thoughts which I thought were interesting.

Balance between obvious security and the stuff the thieves can’t see.

I’ve got the usual steering locks , window locks, Vinchip, Growler flashing lights / Alarm stickers etc, that I want people to see.

The Professional thief won’t know about my little secrets inside……. ;)

I’m making mine less attractive and saying, ‘Easier targets than this one mate, go elsewhere’.

No guarantee of course.(y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Another good tip is Do not blab on social media what security devices you have. You have no way of knowing who is reading those posts. Im convinced some of the Facebook van groups get monitored by theives as there seems to be lots of vans stolen on those groups.

All i will say is anyone tries to steal mine they are going to be in pain.

Watching home alone supplied me with a few cheap tricks 😁

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished

Good points.
One of the reasons I’ll be going ghost alarm.
I won’t be fitting any stickers about. So hopefully it will come as a surprise once they’ve got through every thing else.
The reason why you go for the obvious visible ones is to hopefully stop them at least smashing your window and causing damage

Mar 24, 2019
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
I use a crook lock and then a strap across the cab.

Some use inner locks to the same effect and are more sturdy, but I like mine as it’s very visual to would be bad people.

I can still sit in the drivers seat with it across the doors like that and easily get going if I ever wanted too.

View attachment 632882View attachment 632883View attachment 632884
A lot of people seem to use a ratchet strap through the door handles but don’t you think that’s easy to get through (good pair of kitchen scissors would do it). I use a chain and padlock so would need bolt cutters. At the end of the day,?if someone wants to get in they will, for me it’s just about making your van the least attractive proposition in the car park!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back