Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Good points.
One of the reasons I’ll be going ghost alarm.
I won’t be fitting any stickers about. So hopefully it will come as a surprise once they’ve got through every thing else.
The reason why you go for the obvious visible ones is to hopefully stop them at least smashing your window and causing damage
Often the alarm sticker is better than the alarm no one pays any attention to alarms going off these days

Imobiliser is more important

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
A lot of people seem to use a ratchet strap through the door handles but don’t you think that’s easy to get through (good pair of kitchen scissors would do it). I use a chain and padlock so would need bolt cutters. At the end of the day,?if someone wants to get in they will, for me it’s just about making your van the least attractive proposition in the car park!
Heosafe locks are best..BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Thats true, but when you leave home you lock your front door. Why? You can break a window and be in a house within 5 seconds.

Leave your front door open and you attract the opportunist. Fitting good locks, and hingebolts and a camera above the door, doesn't strengthen the windows but it does deter.
Well said, Jim.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
And lick them to death?
They are just waiting for the command to attack😁😁

Here they are in standby mode😁
618DCCF5-5294-49FD-9A80-94C04A85DF38.jpeg

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I had a long conversation with Carl Meyer ( owner of Out Smart The Thief)

His second point was, he has never experienced a motorhome, or caravan being stolen from a busy campsite, they may well go from storage on campsites, or very quiet sites out of season, but busy sites are about as safe as you can get . Just his thoughts which I thought were interesting.
Nice to know.

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
I am fortunate enough to have hydraulic jacks and after reading these scare stories have now started to drop the jacks when parked, not to take the full weight just enough to touch the floor, so any potential thief would have to negotiate the alarm and the immobiliser and the crooklock and then raise the jacks once they have found the controls which are hidden.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I am fortunate enough to have hydraulic jacks and after reading these scare stories have now started to drop the jacks when parked, not to take the full weight just enough to touch the floor, so any potential thief would have to negotiate the alarm and the immobiliser and the crooklock and then raise the jacks once they have found the controls which are hidden.
I was about to say the same. My remote for the jacks (which are always down except when travelling) is wired in. Would be nice to find a way to hide this, or fit a plug and socket to its lead so that I can carry the remote with me.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That’s clean water before they start to spit bits of biscuit and meat back in it😁😁

Although as they have got older they do drink more, them non spill bowls are very good.
Yes i have one for mine too...they are great in the motorhome My only objection is the floating part often gets stuck .

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I was about to say the same. My remote for the jacks (which are always down except when travelling) is wired in. Would be nice to find a way to hide this, or fit a plug and socket to its lead so that I can carry the remote with me.
Ours has a remote control flat screen thing that I can take out, not sure if the same could be fitted to older wired in remote control?

Jun 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
I bought a shipping container lock and swing the cab seats round and lock them together also use a wheel lock

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
I should of used its proper name ghost immobiliser

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
We have loads of anti-theft stuff on our moho, clutch lock, alarm, imobiliser, Tracker, etc. Basically, make it harder to steel than the one next door or in the next street. If somebody really wants it they will get it, but the more time consuming or awkward it is to the thief the more chance of them leaving yours alone and going for someone else's.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We have loads of anti-theft stuff on our moho, clutch lock, alarm, imobiliser, Tracker, etc. Basically, make it harder to steel than the one next door or in the next street. If somebody really wants it they will get it, but the more time consuming or awkward it is to the thief the more chance of them leaving yours alone and going for someone else's.
I can understand your level of caution for, say, when in storage, but would never spoil my motorhoming experience by making it so time consuming and awkward for myself when away with the van.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I can understand your level of caution for, say, when in storage, but would never spoil my motorhoming experience by making it so time consuming and awkward for myself when away with the van.

I have more than…..well I’m not saying how many levels of security, but because I know how and where they are, along with the right keys (or alike) to remove them, I can be fully locked up or opened in 5 minutes.

A thief would spend far more time looking for them. Yes, they can all be overcome, but you’ve got to find them first.

(y)

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Ours has a remote control flat screen thing that I can take out, not sure if the same could be fitted to older wired in remote control?
Mine are Goldscmitt and can be operated by iphone etc. But I still have a control pad (remote) on a flexible lead. If I can split the lead with a plug and socket then the remote would be removeable for security.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I have more than…..well I’m not saying how many levels of security, but because I know how and where they are, along with the right keys (or alike) to remove them, I can be fully locked up or opened in 5 minutes.

A thief would spend far more time looking for them. Yes, they can all be overcome, but you’ve got to find them first.

(y)
5 minutes might just be too much when after a long walk I get back to the van busting fort a pee.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
5 minutes might just be too much when after a long walk I get back to the van busting fort a pee.
Seconds to open the doors….disarm alarm and open doors with key……it’s if you want to drive it away you’ll hit problems.

I haven’t got extra security on the toilet door…..now you‘ve got me worried….. 🤔 :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back