Motorhome and Caravan Club - Worth Joining? (8 Viewers)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Question as title - do most people feel they recover the membership costs in savings, or reckon it's good value in other ways?
Depends how much you stay in the UK we dropped our membership as we are usually in Europe,C&MC sites are usually good with excellent facilities but a bit restrictive for some. This year we found some really nice private sites along the Norfolk coast that were very good and reasonable charges.(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We joined the Camping and Caravan Club in order to get the AA Arrival extended cover which appears only to be available through them. However, we don't stay on sites so can't offer any info on whether you save or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
We joined as it saves a bit on insurance and almost half price ferry fare off the Isle of Wight. One trip away saves twice the membership fee. As yet, I have never used one of their sites.

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Up until now we have recovered our CMC membership from the discount you get on the M6 Toll. We seem to use it a lot!

HOWEVER last time we used it the toll booth operator told us that the discount will be discontinued at the end of the year.....

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have been members for many years and like the choice available with quality club sites with serviced hard standing pitches and heated toilet and shower facilities and the CL 5 van sites , much cheaper with basic facilities eg hook up, water and waste.
If touring UK I definitely recommend membership.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We use the C&CC membership as we often stay on “camping in the forest” sites during the year and over the Xmas period.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
CAMC is not a club. It's a business that pumps out propaganda to make you think that joining would be beneficial.
Its "smoke 'n mirrors" pricing may make you think you're benefitting by being a member but I've found I can do just as well by looking elsewhere. But, if you want to use their particular facilities, it will probably be better to join up.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We’ve been members since 2009.
We like the fact that a lot of sites open over winter and have hardstanding as we use the van all year round.
(Always hot clean showers as long as the person with muddy shoes uses the scraper thing to clean the floor after their shower.
Oh and will the lady who uses talcum powder..Not do so in the shower block ! Makes a right mess!!
But you will get that in any site!)

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have been members for many years .We always use club sites where possible and their network of CL,s is excellent. We consider it very good value for money,others will disagree.
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi
I was sceptical when we 1st joined in Feb of last year
Opens up all the Club sites to you at a discount
Many on here don't like club sites 'cos they have lots of rules
Many on here do like club sites, because the rules create a standard

We found them a bit like Premier Inn/Travel Lodge....within parameters, you sort of know what its going to be like before you get there.....but some like the adventure into the unknown, which can be great or horrible and everything in between
If it's horrible, pack away and move on
But it's £1 a week to join, some of the offers membership gives may pay that back
That's my bit

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We were members for 8 years, the temporary sites were good value. If you're going to use them it's worth joining.
When we bought the motorhome and started going abroad it wasn't worth it. (ferry discounts never happened for us, one of the ferry companies was always cheaper when you get quotes direct)
Also the membership fee goes up every year, and it makes it worse that the magazine gloats about how much profit they make once a year :mad:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Many on here do like club sites, because the rules create a standard

EXACTLY ..

We love CMC sites because they have a high standard and are run professionally with simple common sense rules.

Showers and toilets are of a very high standard.. sometimes better than we have at home..

so.. no loud music or disturbing others, dogs and children must be kept under control, no licensed clubhouse, no disturbances, no ball games near pitches..

many have children's play areas and dog walks off-site.

if you don't like these common sense rules, don't join the Club or use Club sites..

Read the rules BEFORE you join so you are aware of what is expected.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/uk-sites/club-sites/club-site-rules/

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No not worth joining at all unless you’re a tugger and have no choice other than using the horrible campsites.

Reactions: two
Upvote 0

Deleted User
CAMC is not a club. It's a business that pumps out propaganda to make you think that joining would be beneficial.
Its "smoke 'n mirrors" pricing may make you think you're benefitting by being a member but I've found I can do just as well by looking elsewhere. But, if you want to use their particular facilities, it will probably be better to join up.

Somewhat of a contradiction!......how many businesses do you know that have members but no shareholders and pay no dividends?

I have today received an email reminding me to either attend the AGM or vote online to elect officers of the club as a member of the club, I am aware of the status of the club limited by guarantee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I've just received my '15years of membership' sticker, so they must be doing something right.
They've got some well looked after, well situated sites across the UK (although not so many in Scotland), some of the affiliated sites abroad can be cheaper to book through CAMC (partly down to exchange rate variations I'm guessing).
CL network is great, although I'm not convinced you need to be a member to benefit from them.
Lots of discounts for members, we mostly benefit at Cotswold Outdoor, Mountain Warehouse and Snow & Rock.

At a pound a week we think it's still worth joining, even if we don't actually visit that many CAMC sites...

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Somewhat of a contradiction!......how many businesses do you know that have members but no shareholders and pay no dividends?

So they call their customers “members.”

Basic marketing, nothing more.

If someone views themself as a customer they will naturally always be on the lookout for a better deal. Convince that person that they are something else, a “member of a club” in this case, and they will regard the product as something to have loyalty to or even ownership of and so are less likely to take their custom elsewhere. Supermarkets and petrol stations do exactly the same thing albeit on a different level with their reward cards.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Having been in both I think the C&CC is better for the rallies and temp holl sites that you don't need to book in advance. Also the ACSI book is less than £14 delivered.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have been members since 1999 and intend staying members for the foreseeable future. Tried C&CC but found them a very poor alternative. Don't be put off by the naysayers, join for a year and give it a chance, the worst that can happen is that you've spent about £50 for something that doesn't suit your needs, the best is that you have found exactly what you are looking for.
As an aside, we saved £200 and got 4 nights overseas camping by booking the Hull/Zeebrugge ferry through them.

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
In last 6 weeks have received 2 for 1 admission to Lost Gardens of Heligan by showing club card. Stayed on 3 club sites with EHU for £14 a night and 1 without EHU for £10.70, each for 1 or 2nights to get bit of a charge and dump waste. Also their Red Pennant travel insurance is the cheapest decent cover I can get, most insurers won't cover me and next best quote £200 more expensive. Many of the big sites are quite regimented and expensive but you can book in advance and cancel if things change. Continental bookings can be cheaper and you do get some protection of the fees. Ferry discounts sometimes good. C&CC surcharge continental bookings if you don't book ferry or tunnel with them.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Was a member for some years when I had a trailer caravan and toured in the UK. Now I only tour abroad in a motorhome so have no use for membership
In the UK the CLs were mainly good, sites were expensive even for members and usually miles from anywhere. Toilets were good I have been told, though never used them.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No not worth joining at all unless you’re a tugger and have no choice other than using the horrible campsites.

there are lot of chuggers who wouldn't agree..

every time we visit a C&MC site we see more and more camper vans.. (y)

don't they realise it's only for caravans? :ROFLMAO:

I guess they must prefer that to a council or pub car park, or 'wilding' on an industrial estate.. ?

don't they realise that if reported they rise being excommunicated from the FLT club :eek:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back