Motorhome and Caravan Club - Worth Joining? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Convince that person that they are something else, a “member of a club” in this case,
Chating to my daughters neighbour who are tuggers, I happened to mention I nealry always use the Newhaven to Dieppe crossing, she put on her Hythcent voice "We are members of the CC and get special deal on ferries". After restraining myself from throwing up & laughing I didn't bother telling her I get 20% discount by phoning them direct compared to her 5%.:D

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Chating to my daughters neighbour who are tuggers, I happened to mention I nealry always use the Newhaven to Dieppe crossing, she put on her Hythcent voice "We are members of the CC and get special deal on ferries". After restraining myself from throwing up & laughing I didn't bother telling her I get 20% discount by phoning them direct compared to her 5%.:D

I would have told her and laughed (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Mostly use C&mc, as allways good standard and no wrong uns. Also c&cc but becuse of their inflexibility in booking sites some 4 nights min will probably not renew.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Had to restrain myself (not like me) they are good neighbours to my daughter they recently had the front of their house weatherboarded and paid for my daughters house to be done as well.
The house next door to me is for sale.........would you arrange for them to move in ASAP...............Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaase!
:D:LOL::p:D

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
So they call their customers “members.”

Basic marketing, nothing more.

If someone views themself as a customer they will naturally always be on the lookout for a better deal. Convince that person that they are something else, a “member of a club” in this case, and they will regard the product as something to have loyalty to or even ownership of and so are less likely to take their custom elsewhere. Supermarkets and petrol stations do exactly the same thing albeit on a different level with their reward cards.

Nick you are not correct in your thinking. The Caravan and Motorhome Club accounts are openly published each year for all to see and the profits made are used to update the existing sites or purchase new sites - and not paid out as profit to any single or group of people.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Nick you are not correct in your thinking. The Caravan and Motorhome Club accounts are openly published each year for all to see and the profits made are used to update the existing sites or purchase new sites - and not paid out as profit to any single or group of people.

Made this point several times........head, like, banging, wall, on.........rearrange into a well known phrase or saying:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

I am correct. You’ve just fallen for the marketing.

Just because they don’t pay dividends doesn’t change anything.

And anyway the profits aren’t used to update anything. They hold colossal cash reserves that grow year on year as published in their accounts, far far more than a genuine members club would be permitted to hold.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You’ve just fallen for the marketing.

tenor.gif

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Newbie soon to be ex Caravanner
I am amazed at the unbelievable snobbery on here concerning The Clubs and caravanners ! Being an ex caravanner I have used the Club sites (mainly in winter) and the CL network and find good and bad with all of them as you would with any commercial sites or even the nasty, noisy car parks and laybys next to main roads that some motor homers seem to prefer ! For goodness sake, live and let live !!!

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I am correct. You’ve just fallen for the marketing.

Just because they don’t pay dividends doesn’t change anything.

And anyway the profits aren’t used to update anything. They hold colossal cash reserves that grow year on year as published in their accounts, far far more than a genuine members club would be permitted to hold.
@NickNic. I think you are right in saying you don’t need to be a member to use CL’s,at least I think that’s what you said. We haven’t been asked for membership card or details,but quite honestly I don’t want the worry of turning up and then being refused entry. Yes,I know I could ask at time of booking if they allow non members,but if I want to go to a specific CL I may as well follow the system.
You are also correct that they hold large cash reserves,but that may be better than profligate spending....mightn’t it? Perhaps they have a reason for that........it’s not as if they are going to pay themselves a dividend out if it.
I think you should consider getting elected to their Council (I think that’s what they call their governing board),as you would bring a refreshing approach to the status quo.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t know why a perfectly proper word has been turned into laughing boy! It’s p
r
o
f
ligate.

Upvote 0

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
Used to find them really good . The site staff are excellent, in general, BUT it is now a profit making "organisation" and you don't have to be a member to book their prestigious sites up to 12 months in advance needing only to give 72 hours to cancel without any real penalty. Incidentally, anyone tried to book into the Baltic Wharf site in Bristol? seems that by booking 12 months in advance the site is constantly full.-There, that's my gripe.
They have been good in the past I just hope they return to some of the traditional values and dump the idea of glamping etc. It should be a club for Caravaners and Motorhomers. Maybe that's where Funsters have an edge. I've finally found the light:Grin:

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Private sites are also profit making , doesn’t make them or CMC aliens. If customers buy their product don’t see the problem.
Many CLs insist on membership .

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've found their travel insurance very good. We were previously with SAGA but this limited us to 120 days a year outside the UK. The CAMC travel insurance allows up to 180 days although no single trip can be longer than 66 days which is a tad annoying but we'll just take three holidays a year now instead of two. Signing up was easy too, very simple medical questions. I searched everywhere for an alternative policy but could find anything as good and it was a lot cheaper too. A comparison site suggested about thirty alternatives but not one allowed much time outside the UK. This restriction wasn't obvious, in most cases I had to call them to be told that the single trip limit was say 30 days or something like that.

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I've found their travel insurance very good. We were previously with SAGA but this limited us to 120 days a year outside the UK. The CAMC travel insurance allows up to 180 days although no single trip can be longer than 66 days which is a tad annoying but we'll just take three holidays a year now instead of two. Signing up was easy too, very simple medical questions. I searched everywhere for an alternative policy but could find anything as good and it was a lot cheaper too. A comparison site suggested about thirty alternatives but not one allowed much time outside the UK. This restriction wasn't obvious, in most cases I had to call them to be told that the single trip limit was say 30 days or something like that.
Have to say I echo this 100%, I have difficulty getting travel insurance, CAMC charge me just over £400 including European breakdown, next cheapest over £600 no breakdown and lots of restrictions.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think you should consider getting elected to their Council

That would involve first accepting the concept that it's a "club" and then joining it.

Never gonna happen (y)

You are also correct that they hold large cash reserves,but that may be better than p:xrofl:igate spending....mightn’t it? Perhaps they have a reason for that........

A genuine members club, operated for the sole benefit of the members, would never even contemplate holding that much cash. If they can't find anything to spend it on it should be returned to the membership. If they can't or won't do that they should use the money to finance discounted or even free products or services (pitches I suppose) for the membership. That's not going to happen either because it would be terrible business and the business comes first because it's a company not a club.

All of the cheerleaders on here love to tell us how "all the profits" are "reinvested to improve facilities for the members" This is demonstrably not happening if they can increase the cash reserve each year.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Many CLs insist on membership .

I've yet to find one that does, either CC or CCC. CCC ones tend to ask if you're a member and then when you say no shrug and take your money anyway. I've never even been asked at a CC one.

The only membership card they're interested in is a kind of brown colour and has the Queen's face on it.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We are members of the C&MC and have found it very beneficial..

Some lovely sites, good standard, some great wardens, some miserable ones (heys that’s life...), the members benefits in terms of discounts is very good. Not only on clothing (Cotswolds, Mountain Warehouse, Go Outdoors etc..), but entrance to attractions, discounts on toll rereads etc., and the Volvo Affinity programme.

On the Beauty Terrorists new Volvo, we had played 2 dealers off against each other and got what I thought was a really good deal... Then realised that the Club membership means a further cash discount, free metallic paint and 3 years free servicing, plus 10% of all accessories. The saving alone on the Volvo has paid our membership for the next 68 years!!!! (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back