Motorhome and Caravan Club - Worth Joining? (6 Viewers)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We have been members of both the CAMC and the CCC since we started caravanning in 1983

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

I started reading that blog but quickly realised that it was several years old so dismissed it. Certainly in 19 years of membership we have not experienced anything but courteous treatment. As I posted earlier give it a try for a year and then decide for yourselves, don't rely on others recommendations.

Upvote 0
May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
Been a member a couple of times over the years certainly wouldn't bother now can't stand there prim & proper sites with all there stupid rules.
Rules work both ways, usually find most wardens try to accommodate your request re: the peg which seems to cause the most problems with vans setup for continental use.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had to restrain myself (not like me) they are good neighbours to my daughter they recently had the front of their house weatherboarded and paid for my daughters house to be done as well.
But theirs would have looked really odd/stupid if your daughter had said 'on yer bike'.
Reminds me of the Duckworths stone cladding in 'Corrie'

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Call it a business, call it a club , call it what you like, if those that pay to use the service use it again and again it must be a service that is getting it right and appreciate quality rather than car parks etc with no services.
But some people, not saying anyone on Fun, are so thick or blinkered they don't realise there are alternatives.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
But some people, not saying anyone on Fun, are so thick or blinkered they don't realise there are alternatives.

Perhaps they don’t wish or need to look further and are happy with what they get for their money, it’s personal choice and doesn’t necessarily make them thick or blinkered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I am correct. You’ve just fallen for the marketing.

Just because they don’t pay dividends doesn’t change anything.

And anyway the profits aren’t used to update anything. They hold colossal cash reserves that grow year on year as published in their accounts, far far more than a genuine members club would be permitted to hold.

Lots of updates on C&MC sites this year - and they purchased the site in the link below earlier this summer that will be up and running by C&MC Standards by next next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftZreOTn0M8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Lots of updates on C&MC sites this year - and they purchased the site in the link below earlier this summer that will be up and running by next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftZreOTn0M8

Lovely.

Let’s say it cost a couple of million which it probably didn’t.

According to their last filed accounts that leaves them with something in the region of 40 million quid in cold hard cash sat in the bank.

Why?

If they are a genuine members club there is no credible answer to that question.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lovely.

Let’s say it cost a couple of million which it probably didn’t.

According to their last filed accounts that leaves them with something in the region of 40 million quid in cold hard cash sat in the bank.

Why?

If they are a genuine members club there is no credible answer to that question.
If they are a proper club they should distribute it amongst their members.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Perhaps they don’t wish or need to look further and are happy with what they get for their money, it’s personal choice and doesn’t necessarily make them thick or blinkered.
Believe me Larry, some are.
An ex boss was a caravan club 30 odd year membership man... He had never heard of the C&CC.
His world WAS the caravan club.

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
As to be expected - lots of differing opinions!

IMO the CMC & CCC are there to be used and praised by those who like them and criticised if necessary by those who have had a bad experience of them! :)

However to vilify them and folks that use them is IMO plain nonsense!! :cautious:

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Believe me Larry, some are.
An ex boss was a caravan club 30 odd year membership man... He had never heard of the C&CC.
His world WAS the caravan club.

The point is John it was his choice, if he wasn’t happy he would have looked elsewhere. (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
However to vilify them and folks that use them is IMO plain nonsense!

I don't vilify anyone. I do however challenge the people who continue to insist that it's a "club" when it's business practices and published financial information show that it so plainly and demonstrably isn't.

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I don't vilify anyone. I do however challenge the people who continue to insist that it's a "club" when it's business practices and published financial information show that it so plainly and demonstrably isn't.

I have no argument with that at all - however, I wasn't actually referring to your posts:)

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Of course. Their club constitution would oblige them to.

However they aren't so they won't.

Have you ever read the Club's constitution?

It specifically precludes the distribution of funds/assets to members until the winding up of the club.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have you ever read the Club's constitution?

It specifically precludes the distribution of funds/assets to members until the winding up of the club.

Hmmm.

Is that legal for a genuine private members club?

Assuming the premise is legal when was the EGM when the proposal was voted on? How many elegible members voted?

Due to the amounts of money involved is the item regularly revisited and voted on either as a specific item on the agenda at the AGM or by way of a specific EGM? If not why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Deleted User
Hmmm.

Is that legal for a genuine private members club?

If the premise is legal when was the EGM when the proposal was voted on? How many elegible members voted?

I guess it is as the Club became limited by guarantee an awful long time ago and I am not sure that the legal status of the club is a 'Private Members Club'

I can understand your dislike of sites and CMHC sites in particular but why this prejudicial and inaccurate view of the status of the club.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to look up the relevant documents, which have been posted on this forumin the numerous threads that this chestnut has continually been brought up.

The Club is what it is, it doesn't matter to me that the club is cash rich but would be nice if they could reduce their prices to reduce the balance, I am not a great user of either of the clubs main sites but remain a member of both for convenience when I do need to use them.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I guess it is as the Club became limited by guarantee an awful long time ago and I am not sure that the legal status of the club is a 'Private Members Club'

I can understand your dislike of sites and CMHC sites in particular but why this prejudicial and inaccurate view of the status of the club.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to look up the relevant documents, which have been posted on this forumin the numerous threads that this chestnut has continually been brought up.

The Club is what it is, it doesn't matter to me that the club is cash rich but would be nice if they could reduce their prices to reduce the balance, I am not a great user of either of the clubs main sites but remain a member of both for convenience when I do need to use them.

So in answer to my specific questions you have no idea but as the questions are inconvenient you're happier to ignore them?

Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
So in answer to my specific questions you have no idea but as the questions are inconvenient you're happier to ignore them?

Now c'mon @NickNic I think that is a tad unfair - some of us like the clubs, some tolerate them, some dislike them and some even appear tom hate them but surely there is room for all opinions no need to be rude to fellow funsters - after all we are a motorhome club and we are discussing camp sites which accept motor homes - there are bound to be differing opinions :)

Upvote 0

Deleted User

I am not ignoring them but I see no reason to look up stuff that I and others have posted in the past, if you want clarification then do a bit of research like I and others have done in the past.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am not ignoring them but I see no reason to look up stuff that I and others have posted in the past, if you want clarification then do a bit of research like I and others have done in the past.

I've done my research which is how I've arrived at the position I currently take. I stand ready and willing to be proven wrong........

I'll need a lot more more than opinions and marketing though (y)

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I've done my research which is how I've arrived at the position I currently take. I stand ready and willing to be proven wrong........

I'll need a lot more more than opinions and marketing though (y)

Links to the constitution and organisation of the club have been posted on this forum in the past, have you read them?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Now c'mon @NickNic I think that is a tad unfair - some of us like the clubs, some tolerate them, some dislike them and some even appear tom hate them but surely there is room for all opinions no need to be rude to fellow funsters - after all we are a motorhome club and we are discussing camp sites which accept motor homes - there are bound to be differing opinions :)

I think they are valid questions.

Nobody to my knowledge has ever made any effort whatsoever to answer them with verifiable supporting information.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back