LIFE AFTER HELGA !!!! (2 Viewers)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Just had an email from Gibbs & Dandy the local builders merchants, they are shut down

Couple of lads that worked for me are working on a new build site just down the road, 30+ lads on site and 1 portaloo!! Add a small site hut to that and it’s not good.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
My last dimmable modern low power light bulb blew up last night, got them from B&Q was going to get some more, checked their website, closed today to make alterations ....

"We are now working out the safest and simplest way to support communities in providing only essential products moving forwards.

Our stores, as we prepare, will be closed Tuesday 24th March."

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good morning ,,,,

great news,,,, working from Monday,,

two storey extension,, on my own, no labourer, most of materials arrived, rest coming today,, concrete pour coming Friday, building inspector takingphotographs as proof of work!

so, weather permitting, and as long as no further lockdown, I’m working for 5/6 weeks,,,

I shall have my own kettle and supplies, I’m working outside at the end of a block, no labourer, so I’m happy!! Oh, and I’ve got dibbs on the big radio!!

now this is all dependant on today’s delivery??? But I’m hopeful!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
UNBELIEVABLE!!!

just got a text saying builders merchants closing immediately! No deliveries, even those paid for and ordered that they didn’t deliver last week!!

I was waiting for cement, cavity insulation,

builders going to make some calls,, I can only hope!!

I hate working for unorganised, no nothing, non urgent attitude people! This should have been delivered last week and he just wasn’t bothered!! We shall see,,, he might be a hero in twenty mins!! Lol

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
UNBELIEVABLE!!!

just got a text saying builders merchants closing immediately! No deliveries, even those paid for and ordered that they didn’t deliver last week!!

I was waiting for cement, cavity insulation,

builders going to make some calls,, I can only hope!!

I hate working for unorganised, no nothing, non urgent attitude people! This should have been delivered last week and he just wasn’t bothered!! We shall see,,, he might be a hero in twenty mins!! Lol
Yes travis Perkins have shut, wimpey have shut. Think they all will be soon.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I’ve heard a few comments about building work on sky news! I’m not sure the powers that be aren’t going to shut it all down! But then they have to sort out a few quid for us,, not too keen on that I don’t think!

Mar 5, 2017
Triana, Spain
Funster No
MH
Autotrail EKS
Exp
Jewson’s were open today and l’m working tomorrow. Plenty builders working on small sites on their own, we have been really busy. Yards are shut so no customers coming in we’re only doing deliveries So no contact with anybody

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Many years ago there was a bloke called tip um tony. He drove for a builders merchant and it didn’t matter what it was he was delivering he just tipped it. You would see a big pile of lintel, cement, sand etc all in one heap.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Jewson’s were open today and l’m working tomorrow. Plenty builders working on small sites on their own, we have been really busy. Yards are shut so no customers coming in we’re only doing deliveries So no contact with anybody

Not many builders work on their own - most have a 'mate' - in the same vehicle

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Good morning ,,,,

great news,,,, working from Monday,,

two storey extension,, on my own, no labourer, most of materials arrived, rest coming today,, concrete pour coming Friday, building inspector takingphotographs as proof of work!

so, weather permitting, and as long as no further lockdown, I’m working for 5/6 weeks,,,

I shall have my own kettle and supplies, I’m working outside at the end of a block, no labourer, so I’m happy!! Oh, and I’ve got dibbs on the big radio!!

now this is all dependant on today’s delivery??? But I’m hopeful!!

Nice to hear Ian, both our son in laws are plumbers, they can do emergency work, one works with his uncle, they have a big job on an empty house they could do, but with the way it is at the moment, they have decided to hold on, because they are worried about all the outlay and work involved and not getting paid for it. ? Bob.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Nice to hear Ian, both our son in laws are plumbers, they can do emergency work, one works with his uncle, they have a big job on an empty house they could do, but with the way it is at the moment, they have decided to hold on, because they are worried about all the outlay and work involved and not getting paid for it. ? Bob.

Stage payments is the first thing that springs to mind, next is, why are they taking big jobs from people if they are wary about getting paid.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Stage payments is the first thing that springs to mind, next is, why are they taking big jobs from people if they are wary about getting paid.

They took it on as they do other jobs, long before this situation started, and I personally think they have made the right decision, they still have the job, there was no start date, is only that the normal jobs booked are on hold because they are not emergency jobs, it was only because the house is empty that they could do it. ?
From personal experience, being in the haulage industry for 18 years and being knocked twice, is not a pleasant experience, even if you used their fuel and pulled their trailer, if you don't get paid there are far more cost involved. ? Bob.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Afternoon peeps,,,
The good news,,, I woke up today so I’m alive!!

bad news,, builder says no materials so no work! I’m unsure wether I’m getting mugged off, but to be honest he’s made my mind upfor me!! If I can get my own work, when this is over,I can’t wait to see his face when I tell him I’m too busy to work for him! Lol.

I’m going to sit it out till we can start again, then get work myself and not rely on anyone else! I’m positive about it, just hoping this drama doesn’t go on for more than a couple of months!

I believe Boris is going to make an announcement about self employed tomorrow, so that will be interesting, we shall see!!
Hope your all well, and staying safe! Laters, xxxxxx

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
To be fair if travis is shut are any others , and it means that the others if open will have more delivery to do.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Afternoon peeps,,,
The good news,,, I woke up today so I’m alive!!

bad news,, builder says no materials so no work! I’m unsure wether I’m getting mugged off, but to be honest he’s made my mind upfor me!! If I can get my own work, when this is over,I can’t wait to see his face when I tell him I’m too busy to work for him! Lol.

I’m going to sit it out till we can start again, then get work myself and not rely on anyone else! I’m positive about it, just hoping this drama doesn’t go on for more than a couple of months!

I believe Boris is going to make an announcement about self employed tomorrow, so that will be interesting, we shall see!!
Hope your all well, and staying safe! Laters, xxxxxx

From thee BBCnews update from Boris
Help for self employed

Boris Johnson again faces pressure to do something to help the self-employed.

The PM says the government has “moved with extraordinary speed to support and prop up the whole of the economy of this country, putting our arms around workers of all kinds to the best extent we possibly can”.

He admits it was “easiest” to help employees and more “tricky” to work out a package for the self-employed.

“But that has been done at incredible speed,” adds the PM, promising that Chancellor Rishi Sunak will make an announcement on the plan tomorrow.

He adds: “I don't think there has been a time in our history in the last century that a government of this country has put its arms around so many people to get through such a tough time.”

Mr Johnson concludes the press conference saying: “We will beat this and we will beat this together, and we will do it by protecting our NHS and staying at home. That is how we will save lives."
HTH

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
There are a couple of lads building an extension a few doors from us, making full use of the weather, they have had a load of concrete and some materials today.
Seem to be cracking on. Another neighbour had a small skip yesterday, filled it and it was picked up today.
Probably a case of who you know.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I have no doubt he could have got the materials, but I just think he was lying and didn’t want to spend the money, ( he already had from the customer). Just tells me how valued I am in his thinking! I will be fine, but I have a shit taste in my mouth!!

I shall not give him another thought after all this is sorted! Xxxxx

what I need now, to make me feel better is about 6 ins of snow! Lololol.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Well you’re not the only one at home, haha. Holbrook was on the local news on about if the building sites shut how his motors won’t have any work, and he has a lot of tippers.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Not building but a contractor on his way to repair a pond on my sisters property was stopped by police and told to go home as his work was not essential.

Quite right and non essential building work and any other work should stop - for their own sakes and those they live with.

Hopefully everyone will get financial help to get them through

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ian, I know your work`s off now, but lone working especially on a building site, is definately not advisable from a H&S point of view and I`m suprised your gaffer even considered it.
Just bear that in mind.
I hope you can get some other work or help from the government, failing that you`ll need to sell your body to the highest bidder (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Ian, I know your work`s off now, but lone working especially on a building site, is definately not advisable from a H&S point of view and I`m suprised your gaffer even considered it.
Just bear that in mind.
I hope you can get some other work or help from the government, failing that you`ll need to sell your body to the highest bidder (y)
ill start the bidding £1 not per week

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Is there anything in here that might help you, Ian?

Thank you Janine great help :giggle:

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good evening,,,

I have a question ( again). In fact a couple!!

I believe I heard that HMRC will contact me, re financial help, that I might not get till June?
And if the do it alphabetically I’m screwed!!

or I can apply for universal credit, and get a payment within a couple of days?

Did I hear correctly, that I can apply for one of the smaller grants ???

I’m ok for maybe a month, but that gives me four/ five weeks to get something sorted!

WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO???

THIS IS NOT, NOT AN APPEAL!! IM FINE!! Lol
Maybe other self employed builders could comment on what their doing as well !!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back