LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sod it , as I'm heading over to France next week I've decided it's just not worth the risk
20190107_224206.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Why is it that inserting the word 'robbed' always attracts more attention than theft or stolen?

They cannot have been robbed if they did not wake up.

'Robbery', at least under English Law, is when a theft is conducted when the victim is in fear of their life or of serious harm to their person, which cannot be the case if they are asleep.

The Americans use the word 'robbery' but I do not know their definition.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We were broken into and burgled whilst asleep in the van, last year. I can understand how other victims could believe they were gassed but don’t think that happened in our case.

I believe that most thieves will be lazy and prefer to travel light. Why would they take the added risk (of carrying extra kit and accidents) to knock people out if they can steal successfully without? On the few occasions that their victims wake up, they’d simply run off. How quickly could you leap out of bed in pursuit (even ignoring your shoes, glasses, modesty)?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
i assume you dont sell noxious gas alarms ed
Lol yes we do, but they pick up a whole host of gasses including LPG which personally I think is a must in a motorhome

More importantly is a CO2 detector, battery operated ceiling mounted which we don’t sell, as B&Q do the best ones

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Again, all due respect but you can't guarantee that.

Date rapes seem to be getting more and more common these days. It wouldn't take the most intelligent of bad guys to think to hang around a bar near certain Aires and slip a rohypnol or whatever in a few drinks and follow folk back to the van.
Yes I can 100% guarantee it.

We ran a series of articles ages ago in a magazine called MMM, calling for genuine first hand accounts with proof, and have been investigating and following up reported cases since the 90’s

No one can verify how the gas enters the motorhome, nor what gas ‘could’ be used, nor why it affects multiple occupants, with completely different BMI’s with no side effects, nor why the attackers are not effected when they enter, nor why the Police have never sent a single person to hospital for toxicology reports, nor has a toxicology report ever been produced

My Motorhome alarm system Growler has the provision for a gas detector, which triggers the five sirened system, and again strangely the only time that we get to hear of triggers is when people tell us with a wry smile on their face that the dog farted and triggered the gas detector

Yeah right! It was the dog that farted Madam:whistle:

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Now here’s a thing, I like doing crossword puzzles and word games so when I saw the op name ‘ nikkijt ‘ all I could see was ‘nicked idiot’.
It’s the sort of name I would choose if I was posting a load of b........
Just saying.

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
Never mind about robbed in France I’ve just been robbed in a car park in Harrogate! £9 only to find i didn’t have to pay. :( Might have to cancel this years trip to Spain now :LOL:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Beware of Growler alarms:
If they go off whilst you're asleep inside
the sound will disorientate (if the shock does not kill) you!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Beware of Growler alarms:
If they go off whilst you're asleep inside
the sound will disorientate (if the shock does not kill) you!
A good point. Which is why before we go to bed at night I always switch of the internal sirens, as i am sure the external ones will wake me up quickly enough. Part of the routine. Press small button, then 2 presses of large button, then switch off red and blue LED switches

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
One good hit and a good amount of cash? Get real, no one carries loads of cash round with them (or shouldn’t) and second hand kit isn’t worth much. We’ve just added up how much cash we have with us. I have 75 pence and Mr QF has £6.50.[/QUOTE]
Well actually we do , we always carry £3000 in cash, two ipads, his and hers rolex watches and anything else i can think of while filling in the insurance claim

Last edited:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’ve travelled all over the UK, France and Spain. The only place someone tried to get in, in the middle of the night, was Lymington (that posh place on The Solent). I heard them try the door, the dog barked rather fiercely, and they soon went. Mr QFour never stirred. Obviously the gas only worked on him.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Well actually we do , we always carry £3000 in cash, two ipads, his and hers rolex watches and anything else i can think of while filling in the insurance claim

And insured for to a maximum claim of personal items ---- £250??? Ooooops:Eeek:

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Gassing can happen.
There is a new Gas called "Stella Artois!" Whilst camping previously, I went for lunch and woke up the next morning with an empty wallet and a banging head.
Apparently I was completely out cold and had to have another "Stella" to wean myself of the after effects.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Time for a music interlude me thinks, this track springs to mind and sums up the whole thread somehow.
Tea & biscuits now available in the foyer:D

Les

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Again, all due respect but you can't guarantee that.

Date rapes seem to be getting more and more common these days. It wouldn't take the most intelligent of bad guys to think to hang around a bar near certain Aires and slip a rohypnol or whatever in a few drinks and follow folk back to the van.

Rohypnol can be purchased for less than £10 each ... £20 for two tablets, two occupants and access to a MH costing 10s of thousands of pounds ... I think that I would find more than £20 worth of goods to sell on ....

How long does it take to act and how long do the effects last? I'm just thinking if it acts fast then would a spiked person have time to get back to their van. If it takes a while then the person could set off again and be involved in an accident.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but am genuinely interested and wonder if there is any evidence.

I also think you might be saying that someone might break into a van and then administer some sort of wooze making substance ....... if that happened to me with my banjaxed lungs I'd be a goner. With a sudden death there would be a pm and I would hope some evidence would remain. Martin wears a CPAP mask so difficult to administer to him unless you know exactly where the intake was on that exact model of machine.

We rely on basic security measures and our alarm. Plenty of places to hide stuff that is of value to you and we don't carry a huge amount of cash with us. Also our electronics is all old and cheap :)

Last edited:

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
I have to say that we have been gassed several times when abroad! Not sure what type of gas it is but our Labrador seems to have an endless supply of it:):)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I remember being with 6 giggling drunk lads carrying a sober but tired guy and his bed to another identical room but in another building 300 yards away, we nearly dropped him twice on the way He never woke, we didn't gas him :)

Reminds me of a story my brother told me, he was a PT instructor in the army & they lifted one of their mates complete with his bed & took him right into the middle of the parade square.
When he was wakened up by his sergeant he sprung to his feet & stood to attention, that is to say that all of him stood to attention, he was bollock naked. :Grin:::bigsmile:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How long does it take to act and how long do the effects last? I'm just thinking if it acts fast then would a spiked person have time to get back to their van.
Not that quick, its a benzodiazepine, so very much like a strong sleeping tablet... symptoms are feeling quite woozy, so the target tends to assume they've had too much too drink & head back off to their hotel... usually accompanied by the assailant in the guise of 'good Samaritan'. This intermediate time can be used to judge the effectiveness of the drug on the victim and the likelihood of an attack's "success".

If it takes a while then the person could set off again and be involved in an accident.
Theoretically yes but that wouldn't bother the assailant and I assume the victims would be feeling "too tired" to contemplate driving. Remember, they won't be aware of being drugged.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen but am genuinely interested and wonder if there is any evidence.
I have no idea of whether or not it has happened to MH'ers but it's certainly happened to airline crew.
Hard evidence is difficult to come by because usually the substance is out of the body by the time the victim comes around sufficiently to think they may have been drugged & go to be tested...

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Theoretically yes but that wouldn't bother the assailant and I assume the victims would be feeling "too tired" to contemplate driving. Remember said:
but it's certainly happened to airline crew.[/COLOR]
Hard evidence is difficult to come by because usually the substance is out of the body by the time the victim comes around sufficiently to think they may have been drugged & go to be tested...
really?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back