Robbed on an Aire in France (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I was not a Criminal Law Barrister.

Nor was I quoting the section, but explaining by paraphrase, which I think I did, because a person cannot be 'in fear' if not conscious.

Who you calling a 'tramp' you 'bitch'?;)

[Sorry to lapse into American vocabulary]

Yes but you said the victim must be in fear of their life or serious harm( paraphrasing)

That is not the case.

The word is force or fear of force and can be of a much milder nature than fear of life or serious harm.

As to whether a sleeping person can be robbed whilst the baddy puts or seeks to put ANY person in fear of being then and there subjected to force....who knows!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sod it , as I'm heading over to France next week I've decided it's just not worth the risk
View attachment 275945

I sold 2 excellent WWII German ones complete with boxes & instructions a couple of years back for my nephew.

And insured for to a maximum claim of personal items ---- £250??? Ooooops:Eeek:
That's more than my 100€ :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
I was once poisoned in my van when someone slipped some dihydrogen monoxide in my whisky. I had nightmares for weeks after it

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Speaking of grey waste, here's @pappajohn

All jokes aside and going back to my first post on this thread... I am not saying people are outside motorhome pumping medical grade anaesthetics through your vents.

Do I believe there are gangs out there who may pounce on opportunities to discretely sedate others who they know are staying locally in motorhomes? Yes. That's all.

For the record I don't believe in Santa but if anyone can link me some scientific prove in to the non-existence of fairies you know how to pm me.

Be interesting to know how they sedate there victims as you say,as I have never seen any evidence only dodgy insurance claims!

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Again, all due respect but you can't guarantee that.

Date rapes seem to be getting more and more common these days. It wouldn't take the most intelligent of bad guys to think to hang around a bar near certain Aires and slip a rohypnol or whatever in a few drinks and follow folk back to the van.

Sorry didn’t see this before I posted my last post.
Very far fetched in my opinion.
If they used something similar to the date rape drug,1 they would have to spike more than one persons drink.and 2 the victims would more than likely pass out before they got back.to there Motorhome,

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The best alarm is a dog. Never lets you down and we have stayed dozens of nights in motorway aires :)
Two things with that!

1. When I used to steal for a living I would wait till the owner took the dog out to crap on some else’s pitch to break in
  2. You’d be amazed how many motorhomes are stolen with a dog inside
  3. People pay more to get their dogs back than their motorhomes

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Maybe I am lucky?. In a life time of travel I have never been Mugged/robbed whatever. I have been in some VERY dodgy places, in the end you acquire a sort of 6th sense about this sort of thing. I have slept in Trucks and the R-V`s in all sorts of places laybys, aires, field gates, beaches, even a cemetery car park!. In France, and Spain. I have wild camped over large parts of the USA too from Desserts and forests, (biggest danger was BEARS!) to Walmart`s. In the M-N we had runs ashore in some of the less Touristy parts of the developing world with little issues, even got a lift back to the ship once in a New York (Brooklyn) Police Cruiser!, you just don`t take risks (or too much alcohol?). If you take basic precautions and (in the case of M-H`s) have a decent alarm system with a night perimeter feature and remember to set it you can travel safely. Just choose stopping place with common sense and if like I have found on several occasions the "hair on the back of the neck" does not feel right move on.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I have 54 second hand Rolex watches for sale - in good working order. I also have empty gas cylinders for sale, no idea what gas they contained , but there are manufacturing letters (NHS) stamped on a few , oh and a Rhodesian ridge back free to a good home. :)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
The best alarm is a dog. Never lets you down and we have stayed dozens of nights in motorway aires :)
But on the downside! They need there walks/ clean up after them if you are a responsible dog owner? Vet bills going and coming back of holiday,
Smell when wet and leave hair over the soft furnishings, extra to feed them and being limited with places you can take them ,
When you add that lot up with the inconvenience as well I would sooner give Eddie a few bob for a quality alarm system and save quite a few pounds in the long run, :D

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
But on the downside! They need there walks/ clean up after them if you are a responsible dog owner? Vet bills going and coming back of holiday,
Smell when wet and leave hair over the soft furnishings, extra to feed them and being limited with places you can take them ,
When you add that lot up with the inconvenience as well I would sooner give Eddie a few bob for a quality alarm system and save quite a few pounds in the long run, :D

Hahaha yes if the reason for having a dog is to be the alarm system for the van you would be correct, it is a by product not a reason :D

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Mine would welcome the robber probably lick them to death and curl up on their lap.

She doesn't even bark lol

When there was a stranger come to our house the dog used to hide behind me, wag her tail and give a very apologetic woof, unless she had the hand signals to speak or settle :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When I had a dog it would sleep though anything
except the opening of the biscuit tin.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Reminds me of this joke
B645BF48-913E-4246-B8B2-664701563BD1.jpeg

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a large dog and also make sure we leave a large dog dish just outside the m/h door to act as a deterrent.

So far no one has nicked the dish or tried to break into the m/h.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah ... but an alarm doesn't keep you lovely and warm overnight ... our little hairy pseudo hot-water bottles do! :D

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hahaha yes if the reason for having a dog is to be the alarm system for the van you would be correct, it is a by product not a reason :D

I've trodden in a couple of other doggy by-products :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That is no way to talk about your missus!

.... but my 'missus' does that job and she is no 'dog'
... er ... I'm the missus ... hence my ID ... Minxy GIRL! :D2

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
The white stick is on it`s way!:whistle::whistle:

To flick the offending stool back to the owner.
Must admit the UK are better than the continent in clearing up their mess.
But why do they want to put it in my wheely bin rather than take it home, I don't want their mess and wouldn't put my rubbish in their bin sorted it out now with a lock and chain.
Too many dogs and bad owners.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
Woke up to two guys trying to break into my old VW in 2002. We were in a well-lit roadside park with toilets & picnic areas near to Diano Marina in Liguria. I believe that a lorry driver tipped of a couple of local guys that we were a bit vulnerable. They ran off when we woke, but they wrecked the door lock and we had to drive home even less secure. I've used campsites ever since ...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a large dog and also make sure we leave a large dog dish just outside the m/h door to act as a deterrent.

So far no one has nicked the dish or tried to break into the m/h.

Would a dog lead attached to the outside of a door work as well - near the window with the photo of the ferocious dog you don't have?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I remember at shows for a while they were selling boxes that you could place in the van. On sensing movement outside a vicious dog barking noise was played through a speaker. Which sounded exactly like a tinny dog on a tinny radio. :D

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
A couple of years ago we were parked on a free Aire a few hundred yards from a village.

We were at the side of the wide river L'Isle and were the only ones stopping overnight.

Very peaceful, rabbits, birds and other wild life on site but as quiet as the grave.

After a few drinks we retired to bed about midnight and soon dropped off to sleep.

I was disturbed around four in the morning by a car door being shut quite close to the Motorhome.

Then another door shut, possibly a car boot as well, and quiet voices nearby.

Then another car door being shut and more voices.

Someone laughing and the sound of people moving around.

I got out of bed and tried to see through the windows but it was misty outside and couldn't see anything or anyone outside.

I knew the van was locked so laid back in bed with my ears tuned for any movement outside that would spell danger.

Over the next hour or so more car doors were shut or slammed and more and more voices, laughing and joking in French, as the group seemed to grow.

Daylight started to illuminate outside and gradually I could make out people moving about.

Was I brave enough to venture out ?

Then I could smell food being cooked and that made up my mind for me – I must go outside and see what was happening.

As I opened the habitation door a large man approached.

This was it !

He stuck out his hand and shook mine with a great degree of vigour.

“Bonjour, Monsieur” he said.

He then explained that I was parked on an Aire car park that they were all using to park their cars and vans for an all-day fishing match – yes, a fishing match !

“Would I like some food ?” he said (in French)

I realised we were in the middle of dozens of vehicles and if I didn't move the Motorhome soon we would be stuck there all day.

I politely declined his offer of food and explained that I thought I should move to the edge of the Aire to avoid being trapped.

We were both relieved that there wasn't a direct threat to us and I manoeuvred the Motorhome out of the way to the edge of the Aire..

And that is the biggest worry we have had in numerous visits to rural Aires, many remote and only us on them overnight, and long may we get the opportunity to go to France and sample the stopovers the French authorities provide.

Worries ? What worries ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back