Robbed on an Aire in France (1 Viewer)

Nikkijt

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
On the 22nd of Dec 2018 while travelling through France in our lovely motorhome we decided to get our heads down in the services near Bourges. We moved everything out of sight and took all valuable items in to our bedroom area and got our heads down for an early start the next morning. When we awoke, my husband couldn’t find his jeans but knew he had left them at the side of the bed! Within minutes it came to our panick stricken attention that we had beef robbed!! My handbag which was at my bedside was in the cab, all money gone! Husbands jeans and wallet money gone! My two coats that were hanging in the shower area had gone also. They never took any cards or phones or sat nav. We never heard a thing and believe me I am a light restless sleeper and wake up frequently through the night! How did we not hear them bust the lock on the side door? Rustle through all our belongings and then enter the sleeping area and take my bag, clothing etc, without ever hearing a thing! I only remember hearing a van pull up behind ours and what sounded like a generator going on and off until I went to sleep! People say this doesn’t happen and it’s all rubbish but believe me this IS happening! We are new to motorhoming and was really looking forward to our adventure but I can honestly say that I am scared to ever sleep in it again.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to hear of your bad experience - too late now but the general advice is never to sleep in service areas. There are plenty of aires de camping car available in France.

You might find a small hole below one of the door locks. You might even have forgotten to lock the doors - I've done that! :)

The high ambient noise in the service areas covers their activies and you just slept through it.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
A truly dreadful experience for you, we too are fairly new to motorhoming (two years), however the advice we have read/recieved is to NEVER stay overnight in a service area.

Hope you can carry on and put this behind you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
On the 22nd of Dec 2018 while travelling through France in our lovely motorhome we decided to get our heads down in the services near Bourges. We moved everything out of sight and took all valuable items in to our bedroom area and got our heads down for an early start the next morning. When we awoke, my husband couldn’t find his jeans but knew he had left them at the side of the bed! Within minutes it came to our panick stricken attention that we had beef robbed!! My handbag which was at my bedside was in the cab, all money gone! Husbands jeans and wallet money gone! My two coats that were hanging in the shower area had gone also. They never took any cards or phones or sat nav. We never heard a thing and believe me I am a light restless sleeper and wake up frequently through the night! How did we not hear them bust the lock on the side door? Rustle through all our belongings and then enter the sleeping area and take my bag, clothing etc, without ever hearing a thing! I only remember hearing a van pull up behind ours and what sounded like a generator going on and off until I went to sleep! People say this doesn’t happen and it’s all rubbish but believe me this IS happening! We are new to motorhoming and was really looking forward to our adventure but I can honestly say that I am scared to ever sleep in it again.
Such a horrible experience, I feel sorry for you

Didn't the alarm go off and wake you?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Yeah it definitely does happen. A guy who did a bit of work on my van said they were away one time and when they woke up they all felt a bit hungoverish even though they hadn't been drinking. After a few of them said they couldn't find their phones the guy remembered a 'dream' he had where a guy was standing next to him going through his jeans.

Turns out it wasn't a dream at all and they had been knocked out and robbed.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to hear of your terrible ordeal, but the golden rule on here is 'don't ever stay overnight is motorway services'. There are thousands of Aires away from the main motorways, and by and large they are much less prone to scumbag robbers.

OP
OP
N

Nikkijt

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
We checked all the doors and they were all locked, we was under the impression that you pick a busy 24hr services which we did! They had put a screwdriver into the door lock and bust it! Maybe we didn’t have enough security on the van to prevent a break in but believe me it will have in the future. When your new to all this you just don’t really know all the ins and outs but it really has frightened me.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You were unlucky. Maybe the alarm would've prevented your loss. These folk use stealth, and probably pick pockets during the day. Try not to let it spoil your adventures.
It's a shame that van locks are so easily overcome..

OP
OP
N

Nikkijt

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
I felt really tired and heavy headed and some people have suggested that we was gassed!! Is this possible? My hubby says he felt okay but I was very tired! Makes you wonder.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yeah it definitely does happen. A guy who did a bit of work on my van said they were away one time and when they woke up they all felt a bit hungoverish even though they hadn't been drinking. After a few of them said they couldn't find their phones the guy remembered a 'dream' he had where a guy was standing next to him going through his jeans.

Turns out it wasn't a dream at all and they had been knocked out and robbed.

Knocked out with what?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
To be fair and to add balance, I and thousands of others use motorway aires to stop over. It is what they are for. During the Summer months you will see motorcyclists rolled up beside their bikes in a sleeping bag, people in open top cars with the seats reclined and a travel blanket over them, small tents up, caravans, motorhomes, trucks the lot.

There are hundreds of motorway aires in France and they are well and safely used by thousands.

Don't let it put you off owning a motorhome, after all people get robbed on campsites as well, and houses, and Streets and shops and even on line

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You were unlucky. Maybe the alarm would've prevented your loss. These folk use stealth, and probably pick pockets during the day. Try not to let it spoil your adventures.
It's a shame that van locks are so easily overcome..
I think they drive lorrys during the day:doh:

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
There is an aire du camping car near Bourges, wondering why you slept at a service station?
Screenshot_20190107-165340.jpg

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe they're unaware of Aires in villages, so if youre stopping overnight on the motorways aires, you are asking for trouble IMO.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have been sleeping overnight on motorway service stations in France and Pain for over 20 years and not had a problem.

Fairly simple to stay safe as follows:

VanBitz alarm and visible flashing led’s, front back and sides
Deadlocks on driver’s door (A Class) and habitation door
Milenco alarms on windows, shrill alarm if window forced
Park in car parking area, not amongst the lorries where you are hidden amongst the juggernauts

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No its not possible to be gassed....unless its from a fart:rofl: Alcohol does play apart sometimes.

I've heard enough and learned enough from this site that we will never stay overnight in a service station abroad, besides the aires in France are plentiful so no need.

Don't let it put you off. If somewhere doesn't feel right then move. Always trust your gut.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
that is terrible to hear I hope you both are ok and get over this

I have never been abroad in my motor home but wish to try it this year so can people on here please explain to

Why are the Aires safe to stay in as I thought these were just areas anyone can stay in or get into in public areas so no better than the services and are not safe like a campsite should be or am I missing something and got it all wrong

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I felt really tired and heavy headed and some people have suggested that we was gassed!! Is this possible? My hubby says he felt okay but I was very tired! Makes you wonder.
Not unless you have at least £3000 in cash and a Rolex watch :LOL:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are not safe like a campsite
What makes you think a campsite is safe?
Anyone could wander onto a campsite after dark and you wouldn't be any the wiser if they were campers taking a late night stroll or some scroat looking for something to steal.
Campsites may be SAFER but nowhere is safe.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why are the Aires safe to stay in as I thought these were just areas anyone can stay in or get into in public areas so no better than the services and are not safe like a campsite should be or am I missing something and got it all wrong

Aires are safe enough as long as you are locked and alarmed, sleep anywhere with windows open or doors unlocked and you risk becoming a victim of crime.

You are a subscriber so you can download this book The Motorhome Security Handbook for free. It's an informative guide to your personal security when travelling (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We are new to motorhoming and was really looking forward to our adventure but I can honestly say that I am scared to ever sleep in it again.

Don't worry, the burglar has forgotten about you already, and you must forget him. When away in Europe its very rare to become a victim of crime, and even rarer for people to be victims twice. Not because of any laws of chance, it's just that you will now always be a little more aware, and you need to be. Not paranoid or silly about it, just a relaxed, but conscious, level of awareness and that comes much easier after you've been a victim. Best of luck (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sorry to hear but i just cannot see how anyone can gain access to your van if you have internal dead bolts fitted without them breaking a window..First thing i fit to any van is Heosafe locks on cab doors and a simple bolt on habitation door,,,Late advice i am afraid,,BUSBY,,

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is an aire du camping car near Bourges, wondering why you slept at a service station?

Maybe they didn't know about it?

It can be confusing when we refer to "Aires" and don't differentiate between motorway service areas and camping car service areas as both are "Aires" .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I send the wife to walk Arund the van last thing before we turn in.
Any would be burger neads to be a brave man to try and rob her she sleeps at the front of the bead I know my place
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back