Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is really unfortunate that you've had this experience and no-one can be totally immune to it. We never stay on motorway/major road aires as is would easily be possible to sleep through just about anything in a MH, especially after you have been travelling for a long while and are tired.

To give you an example of what you can sleep through, our dog Romy is nearly 16 and needs letting out overnight, hubby can get up, put the light on, take the alarm off (it beeps) and open the sliding door, step out, shut the door, open it again, get in with the dog, slide the door shut, leg the 'soft close' mechanism do it's thing, lock and alarm the camper (3 loud beeps) and come back to bed without waking me up at all and I'm a light sleeper (and don't drink!). If I get up in the night hubby may wake and I can have a conversation with him and he's totally oblivious to it in the morning!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I felt really tired and heavy headed and some people have suggested that we was gassed!! Is this possible? My hubby says he felt okay but I was very tired! Makes you wonder.
As others have said gassing is another urban myth. .

You had a long day driving and being driven, which is very tiring. We always sleep like logs when on the move

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My car was broken into parked on a main road in Barcelona in the middle of the day.

Returned to find the boot lid weighted down with rocks.

British registered car - looking back an obvious target

Been to Barcelona many times since to catch ferries - never left unattended since - lesson learned

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Don't let one bad experience deter you from having lots of fun in the future with your van. A hard way to learn a lesson but at least neither of you were harmed, you live to breath for a lot more days.
Perhaps explore the UK to build up your confidence again. (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Maybe they didn't know about it?

It can be confusing when we refer to "Aires" and don't differentiate between motorway service areas and camping car service areas as both are "Aires" .
Not always, lots of lovely areas on some motorways

IMG_7487.JPG

As others have said, I have absolutely no hesitation in staying on Motorway Aires, nor do I have any evidence to suggest that my customers are more vulnerable staying on motorway aires and I do speak to a lot of people that come to us as they have had an security issue or scare.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Knocked out with what?

Not sure but there's no way these guys are able to break in to vans, walk around right next to the occupants, go through all their belongings and make off with the goodies with out some kind of sedative being used.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Eddie I feel you have it wrong. They stayed in a motorway service area not a motorway “Aire”.
Too late now but never ever stay in a motorway service area. You were NOT gassed.

Colyboy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not sure but there's no way these guys are able to break in to vans, walk around right next to the occupants, go through all their belongings and make off with the goodies with out some kind of sedative being used.

I've slept through an earthquake (at home). I don't drink alcohol or use sedatives. If I could sleep through that I could sleep through a break in.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
As others have said gassing is another urban myth. .

You had a long day driving and being driven, which is very tiring. We always sleep like logs when on the move

I know nothing about gassing but I do recall Jenson Button and his then wife being gassed and robbed but can't remember the details

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've slept through an earthquake (at home). I don't drink alcohol or use sedatives. If I could sleep through that I could sleep through a break in.

Well of course everybody is different but I certainly would wake if anyone tried getting in and the guy in my original post obviously woke up and saw the robber going through his jeans right beside him but was too out of it to make it register so I ain't putting that down to being a bit sleepy, gotta be some other source of drowsiness in my opinion.

OP
OP
N

Nikkijt

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
We just pulled in to the services with not really much idea of frances amenities for motorhomes as like I said earlier we are quite new to this and don’t really know anyone else with a similar hobby. We travel to Spain quite regular but mainly on the Portsmouth to Santander boat so never really stayed overnight on a site plus it was the first time we took it abroad.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
It was never confirmed he was gassed. I even recall he had a blood test, but he just slept through a burglary like millions have before him.

Could be something else like being followed whilst out and about and something dropped in a drink then followed back to the house/ van.

Yes, some people are deep sleepers but I can't for the life of me see someone breaking in to what is basically a tin box on wheels, rummaging around through cupboards and the like and disapearing with phones, cash etc without anyone waking.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
but I can't for the life of me see someone breaking in to what is basically a tin box on wheels, rummaging around through cupboards and the like and disapearing with phones, cash etc without anyone waking.

Nor can other people, thats why they're convinced they've been gassed. They haven't.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well of course everybody is different but I certainly would wake if anyone tried getting in and the guy in my original post obviously woke up and saw the robber going through his jeans right beside him but was too out of it to make it register so I ain't putting that down to being a bit sleepy, gotta be some other source of drowsiness in my opinion.
You can't be sure you'd wake up ... I thought I would but after hubby's having to get up in the night and me not waking up at all I wouldn't bet on it.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
No its not possible to be gassed....unless its from a fart:rofl: Alcohol does play apart sometimes.

I've heard enough and learned enough from this site that we will never stay overnight in a service station abroad, besides the aires in France are plentiful so no need.

Don't let it put you off. If somewhere doesn't feel right then move. Always trust your gut.
@irnbru
How can you say "trust your gut" :Eeek: after saying earlier that a fart can gas you :rofl::rofl:
Sandra, hope you are all well :wink:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Driving makes you more tired then you think We always sleep more soundly then normal after a longish drive, chances are the perpetrators may have been following you along the road for some distance.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Could be something else like being followed whilst out and about and something dropped in a drink then followed back to the house/ van.

Yes, some people are deep sleepers but I can't for the life of me see someone breaking in to what is basically a tin box on wheels, rummaging around through cupboards and the like and disapearing with phones, cash etc without anyone waking.

Yes the spiked drink is possible.

I don't wake up when people get up and wander round the van at night, even when my son made himself a hot drink and opened the fridge (the light would have come on near my head) all I did was turn over and away from the light. I sleep better in the van than in my bed at home.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
You can't be sure you'd wake up ... I thought I would but after hubby's having to get up in the night and me not waking up at all I wouldn't bet on it.

Morning after NYE granted I will give you that, my van could have been picked up and popped in a crusher and I would not have woken. Any other time I guarantee I would be up.

Nor can other people, thats why they're convinced they've been gassed. They haven't.

All due respect, you can't say that for certain. I'm going on second hand stories here but I believe the guy and if he says he 'woke' at some point and remembers seeing the guy going through his jeans off the floor then in my opinion some form of sedative must have been used.

Even heavy sleepers don't wake up, see someone going through their possessions then think 'ah well, sod it, I'm going to have another half hour ZZZZzzz'

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
So sorry to read this, I hope you are both recovering from your horrible ordeal.

Even if we stop for lunch on the motorway we don’t leave the vehicle and we sit with the doors locked. We would never open the door for anyone.

As others have said, choose where you stop the night very carefully. We use the French Aires but only those a bit off the beaten track. If either of us feel uneasy we move. The best Aires for us are in small, rural villages and we don’t stop if we are alone. We don’t mind driving a bit further if it means feeling safer.

We avoid busy Aires by roads and any in a town. We have met several people who have been robbed, so yes it happens.

We have an alarm and a dog.

The gassing is a myth.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
that is terrible to hear I hope you both are ok and get over this

I have never been abroad in my motor home but wish to try it this year so can people on here please explain to

Why are the Aires safe to stay in as I thought these were just areas anyone can stay in or get into in public areas so no better than the services and are not safe like a campsite should be or am I missing something and got it all wrong
like brittain thieves head towards the bright lights theirs little chance of getting your pocket picked in a rural lane but a much higher chance in oxford st So motorway services are a hot spot for crime lots of people many in holiday mode or tired from travelling

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know nothing about gassing but I do recall Jenson Button and his then wife being gassed and robbed but can't remember the details
I think you may recall that it was reported they were, but without a shred of evidence to support it. Journalists are never ones to let facts get in the way of a good story.

Just read the link in my post #32 to find out what the experts who put people to sleep every day for a living think about the idea.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
No but the Royal College of Anaesthetists probably would.

What do they know?.....(can't find the whistling emoji)

Like I said, maybe they aren't sitting outside pumping noxious chemicals in to the van but something in another form could easily have been used. Slip something in a couple of drinks then follow them back to the van. Give it a half hour then in they go.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not buying it.

I remember being with 6 giggling drunk lads carrying a sober but tired guy and his bed to another identical room but in another building 300 yards away, we nearly dropped him twice on the way He never woke, we didn't gas him :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back