The perfect Steak?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A class Hymer merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Think we might be giving our eldest son George too much financial help as a struggling uni student...

image.jpg

He sent us a picture of his tea last night..

Good to know the cookery course I sent him on worked, but can't see any veg!

OP
Chockswahay

Chockswahay

Funster
MH
PVC (nice n short!)
Exp
Since 2013
Think we might be giving our eldest son George too much financial help as a struggling uni student...

View attachment 46840

He sent us a picture of his tea last night..

Good to know the cookery course I sent him on worked, but can't see any veg!
Yup, good lad! He knows what he likes(y) (and how to cook meat properly:))

buttons

Funster
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
30 years
Where would you like me to start;) who would cut raw meat on e wooden surface then use the same surface to cut the cooked meat.:LOL:
Salt then cooking in butter is an absolute no to me. One other thing, I like my steak cooked too not raw.;) Wont be watching his videos again.:eek:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Kath here-

I would not like to eat whatever he cooked - he kept handling the meat despite saying dont touch!

Kath

DBK

Funster
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like the way he rested the meat for 5 to 10 minutes at the end. I learned this trick too and it really helps to make a tender steak.

Our way of cooking steak is to put it in a dish and pour in a good slug of olive oil then give a very generous sprinkling of black pepper from the grinder. Keep turning the steak every now and again and allow it to sit in the oil and pepper for at least an hour, longer if possible.

Then heat up a griddle (like a frying pan but it has ridges) on a hot setting, dry fry the steak with only the oil still sticking to it. Depending on the thickenss of the steak I might do 3 minutes one side 2 the other but even less for thin steak. Take out and put on a warm plate covered by foil. Our new cooker has a warming drawer which is ideal for allowing the meat to rest for up to 10 minutes.

While this is happening chuck in as much red wine as you can spare into the griddle and reduce it right down until it becomes very thick and starts to spit. Plate up the steak and add chips for that fine dining experience and a salad for a bit of healthy eating. Pour the reduced red wine over the steak. Delicious!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That got my juices flowing. Though I prefer ribeye for the added fat.

That is exactly how the good old Cabac does a steak.
Rib - eye is my favourite too.

I really dislike fillet these days, I keep getting a taste of liver - which I hate.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Swift Sundance 620FB
Exp
From Aug 2007
I really dislike fillet these days, I keep getting a taste of liver - which I hate.
Get thee to Misterton next year, the local butcher does ribeye to die for, cardiac arrest when you see the price, but the flavour !!!

OP
Chockswahay

Chockswahay

Funster
MH
PVC (nice n short!)
Exp
Since 2013
I like the way he rested the meat for 5 to 10 minutes at the end. I learned this trick too and it really helps to make a tender steak.

Our way of cooking steak is to put it in a dish and pour in a good slug of olive oil then give a very generous sprinkling of black pepper from the grinder. Keep turning the steak every now and again and allow it to sit in the oil and pepper for at least an hour, longer if possible.

Then heat up a griddle (like a frying pan but it has ridges) on a hot setting, dry fry the steak with only the oil still sticking to it. Depending on the thickenss of the steak I might do 3 minutes one side 2 the other but even less for thin steak. Take out and put on a warm plate covered by foil. Our new cooker has a warming drawer which is ideal for allowing the meat to rest for up to 10 minutes.

While this is happening chuck in as much red wine as you can spare into the griddle and reduce it right down until it becomes very thick and starts to spit. Plate up the steak and add chips for that fine dining experience and a salad for a bit of healthy eating. Pour the reduced red wine over the steak. Delicious!
Nice! We cooked some a similar way last week using this recipe......

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/meat/steak/classic-steak-au-poivre.html

very similar to yours but cooking the beef in the wine:)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Low Profile
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yep rib eye for us too. We used to buy a chain of fillet steak at Makro but although it was tender and we got plenty of meals for our £60 it was pretty tasteless.

OP
Chockswahay

Chockswahay

Funster
MH
PVC (nice n short!)
Exp
Since 2013
Ooooooh......... Ribeye is our fave too :):):)

Fenman

Funster
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago

buttons

Funster
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
30 years

Same here, possible because it comes from inside the rib cage so it is too close the the offal. :)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Good steak+very hot Dry pan+ resting it for as long as you cook the steak= perfectly cooked steak...

From a French chef; 'Well cooked steak, throw it in the bin and start again...'

Desperate Dan style; 'Just wipe it's arse and put it on a plate...'

buttons

Funster
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
30 years
Good steak+very hot Dry pan+ resting it for as long as you cook the steak= perfectly cooked steak...

From a French chef; 'Well cooked steak, throw it in the bin and start again...'

Desperate Dan style; 'Just wipe it's arse and put it on a plate...'
TV chefs.....what do they know. Raw meat is for large cats, I like my meat cooked.;)
If you are a non smoker with all your taste buds in tact then give all the butter salt and flavorings a miss. Food tastes much better without it.(y)

OP
Chockswahay

Chockswahay

Funster
MH
PVC (nice n short!)
Exp
Since 2013
I stumbled across this man's channel on YouTube........... I like his straight forward approach to food (y)

Trying the steak tonight :)
It was bloomin marvellous (y)(y)(y)

I'm off for a couple of episodes of the Blacklist now:D:D:D

DBK

Funster
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
TV chefs.....what do they know. Raw meat is for large cats, I like my meat cooked.;)
If you are a non smoker with all your taste buds in tact then give all the butter salt and flavorings a miss. Food tastes much better without it.(y)
Can't say I agree with that, overcooked meat lacks taste to me. However, my wife doesn't agree, I like lamb pink but that's a step too far for here! As for pink duck...
But I know if you don't like "bleeding" meat trying to sell the idea is uphill work!

Last edited:
SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services