LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Think we might be giving our eldest son George too much financial help as a struggling uni student...

image.jpg

He sent us a picture of his tea last night..

Good to know the cookery course I sent him on worked, but can't see any veg!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Where would you like me to start;) who would cut raw meat on e wooden surface then use the same surface to cut the cooked meat.:LOL:
Salt then cooking in butter is an absolute no to me. One other thing, I like my steak cooked too not raw.;) Wont be watching his videos again.:eek:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Kath here-

I would not like to eat whatever he cooked - he kept handling the meat despite saying dont touch!

Kath

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like the way he rested the meat for 5 to 10 minutes at the end. I learned this trick too and it really helps to make a tender steak.

Our way of cooking steak is to put it in a dish and pour in a good slug of olive oil then give a very generous sprinkling of black pepper from the grinder. Keep turning the steak every now and again and allow it to sit in the oil and pepper for at least an hour, longer if possible.

Then heat up a griddle (like a frying pan but it has ridges) on a hot setting, dry fry the steak with only the oil still sticking to it. Depending on the thickenss of the steak I might do 3 minutes one side 2 the other but even less for thin steak. Take out and put on a warm plate covered by foil. Our new cooker has a warming drawer which is ideal for allowing the meat to rest for up to 10 minutes.

While this is happening chuck in as much red wine as you can spare into the griddle and reduce it right down until it becomes very thick and starts to spit. Plate up the steak and add chips for that fine dining experience and a salad for a bit of healthy eating. Pour the reduced red wine over the steak. Delicious!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That got my juices flowing. Though I prefer ribeye for the added fat.

That is exactly how the good old Cabac does a steak.

Rib - eye is my favourite too.

I really dislike fillet these days, I keep getting a taste of liver - which I hate.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I really dislike fillet these days, I keep getting a taste of liver - which I hate.

Get thee to Misterton next year, the local butcher does ribeye to die for, cardiac arrest when you see the price, but the flavour !!!

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I like the way he rested the meat for 5 to 10 minutes at the end. I learned this trick too and it really helps to make a tender steak.

Our way of cooking steak is to put it in a dish and pour in a good slug of olive oil then give a very generous sprinkling of black pepper from the grinder. Keep turning the steak every now and again and allow it to sit in the oil and pepper for at least an hour, longer if possible.

Then heat up a griddle (like a frying pan but it has ridges) on a hot setting, dry fry the steak with only the oil still sticking to it. Depending on the thickenss of the steak I might do 3 minutes one side 2 the other but even less for thin steak. Take out and put on a warm plate covered by foil. Our new cooker has a warming drawer which is ideal for allowing the meat to rest for up to 10 minutes.

While this is happening chuck in as much red wine as you can spare into the griddle and reduce it right down until it becomes very thick and starts to spit. Plate up the steak and add chips for that fine dining experience and a salad for a bit of healthy eating. Pour the reduced red wine over the steak. Delicious!

Nice! We cooked some a similar way last week using this recipe......

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/meat/steak/classic-steak-au-poivre.html

very similar to yours but cooking the beef in the wine:)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yep rib eye for us too. We used to buy a chain of fillet steak at Makro but although it was tender and we got plenty of meals for our ÂŁ60 it was pretty tasteless.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I use the method shown by Heston B on his Channel 4 programme a while back. Gets me the perfect steak. Though I do rest it for longer than he says in the written version. He says 5 minutes but on the actual tv show he said 10-15 minutes.

Here's the method: Broken Link Removed

Pip

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Same here, possible because it comes from inside the rib cage so it is too close the the offal. :)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Good steak+very hot Dry pan+ resting it for as long as you cook the steak= perfectly cooked steak...

From a French chef; 'Well cooked steak, throw it in the bin and start again...'

Desperate Dan style; 'Just wipe it's arse and put it on a plate...'

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Good steak+very hot Dry pan+ resting it for as long as you cook the steak= perfectly cooked steak...

TV chefs.....what do they know. Raw meat is for large cats, I like my meat cooked.;)
If you are a non smoker with all your taste buds in tact then give all the butter salt and flavorings a miss. Food tastes much better without it.(y)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I stumbled across this man's channel on YouTube........... I like his straight forward approach to food (y)

Trying the steak tonight :)

It was bloomin marvellous (y)(y)(y)

I'm off for a couple of episodes of the Blacklist now:D:D:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
TV chefs.....what do they know. Raw meat is for large cats, I like my meat cooked.;)
If you are a non smoker with all your taste buds in tact then give all the butter salt and flavorings a miss. Food tastes much better without it.(y)
Can't say I agree with that, overcooked meat lacks taste to me. However, my wife doesn't agree, I like lamb pink but that's a step too far for here! As for pink duck...
But I know if you don't like "bleeding" meat trying to sell the idea is uphill work!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Or as an old acquaintanceused to say......don't waste any gas on it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Or as an old acquaintance used to say......don't waste any gas on it.
Steak tartare then - which shamefacedly I must admit I tried for the first time only last year. Raw steak with a raw egg yolk on it. It was delicious!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Thats a man that knows how a steak should be cooked (y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Been cooking it like that for years, lovely, whilst it's resting, I fry an onion some mushroom and tomato, and a bit of fresh chilli with a splash of Worcester sauce, cover the steak with it and then quickly fry an egg and sit it on top, break the egg over the steak and add a little English mustard to the plate, fantastic, bloody hell I'm starving now!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can't say I agree with that, overcooked meat lacks taste to me. However, my wife doesn't agree, I like lamb pink but that's a step too far for here! As for pink duck...
But I know if you don't like "bleeding" meat trying to sell the idea is uphill work!
It is indeed Db I could give you a number of reasons why all meat should be cooked through but I wont case anyone is enjoying their breakfast. Good on your wife she sounds like a sensible lady with all taste buds intact.(y)
Raw meat is in vogue because our TVs are saturated with TV Cooks with many must haves in everything they cook....cream butter salt herbs spices sugar and many more.
There are many of us out here who still enjoy the taste of fresh food and cooked meat without all this nonsense promoted by media viewing figures.

I feel better now and and ready for my breakfast......brown toast with some lightly fried tomatoes and fresh cooked beetroot without a trace of vinegar.....(y);)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As long as the steak and the barbeque have been formally introduced that's quite enough for me.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Only when the Fire Brigade leaves! can you say ! The Steak is cooked!

Any blood! even a slight tinge of Pink! It goes back!!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Don`t see the Perfect steak at all, how can you Caramelize a steak?
Why would you use a flat frying pan?
Griddle pan is the way to go imho.
The pan was so hot the butter burnt, better to brush with a garlic butter when cooked and resting.

We cook our fillet steaks cut twice as thick as the showed rump, 2 mins a side then placed in the oven for 4 mins.
Perfect med rare steaks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back