Campaign for real aires (1 Viewer)

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I'm obviously missing something very obvious here, but what is the difference between an Aire and a small site or CL etc?

I mean, if an Aire is say £10 a night and has water and waste points, what's the difference?

Honest question?
Usually the location.

We go away all year round, in the wetter months it is hard to get a CL/CS within a reasonable distance, that has hard standing. being 2 mile from the nearest pub is not very useful either

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I don’t use Facebook. If you had a Sil who got pissed and went on FB and slagged everyone off then you would not be on it.

As for aires the ones that are free should be called Faires

and ones that you pay for should be called Paires😀

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I guess the main difference is you have to be a member of a club for the majority of CL's \ CS's. Some folk, on principle, won't join the associated club.
...and you can’t really expect all overseas tourists to join.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I'm obviously missing something very obvious here, but what is the difference between an Aire and a small site or CL etc?

I mean, if an Aire is say £10 a night and has water and waste points, what's the difference?

Honest question?
It’s all about the location. The sort of facility we are discussing is often just another way of using an existing carpark. That might be anywhere including in a town centre. Councils are seeking ways to rejuvenate town centre shopping. This might make a contribution. I suspect that a well run aire somewhere popular is probably a break-even facility but I can’t claim to be sure on the figures.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
How many car parks \ vacant land locations are owned by the local council nowadays?:unsure:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
...and you can’t really expect all overseas tourists to join.
No you can't, so they are expected to use Club Sites and pay the Non-Members fee.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
It’s all about the location. The sort of facility we are discussing is often just another way of using an existing carpark. That might be anywhere including in a town centre. Councils are seeking ways to rejuvenate town centre shopping. This might make a contribution. I suspect that a well run aire somewhere popular is probably a break-even facility but I can’t claim to be sure on the figures.

So, in this context, all an Aire is, is likely an existing car park, where a motorhome can pay to stay the night?

It may have water etc, it may not? If so, a few of my fav locations in the UK are Aire's :roflmto:

Okay, if the car park (for arguments sake) is open at night anyway for cars, what difference can allowing motorhomes to stay for a fee make regarding the Travelling community?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.

Honest question?
For me the main difference is that aires do not require booking in advance.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Another motorhome service point happening in malllaig but could do with some support

Read article with link to gofundme donations to open it sooner

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Aye having a moan at campsites causing problems yet again

I really do hope many go bust this year ..
Sad to say but..Me too Tam, they never listen to motorhomers needs. At least Hawick NICE councillors have listened to our plea in a very positive way.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sad to say but..Me too Tam, they never listen to motorhomers needs. At least Hawick NICE councillors have listened to our plea in a very positive way.
I believe if you have to force someone to use your product by removing or objecting to alternative options then you are doing something wrong.

Many of the campsites have caused the dirty camping problem too by refusing to take tents and then they use the mess left to try and get wildcamping banned.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not just that Tam, they are genuinely not interested in letting someone use their toilet dump for a fee. So shortsighted, Im happy im not a member of either of the big two clubs.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've one more day of work before a few days off so I am heading down to the motorhome stopover in Fife for a few days to see how they have been getting on. Tried to get there a few weeks ago but work commitments got in the way. Not much aires or official stopovers on the East coast so be fine to support them.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not just that Tam, they are genuinely not interested in letting someone use their toilet dump for a fee. So shortsighted, Im happy im not a member of either of the big two clubs.
Yep they say its because they don't support wildcamping .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've one more day of work before a few days off so I am heading down to the motorhome stopover in Fife for a few days to see how they have been getting on. Tried to get there a few weeks ago but work commitments got in the way. Not much aires or official stopovers on the East coast so be fine to support them.
What ones that?

I'm going to have one night away next Tuesday . Might go to arbroath

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I don't think campsite owners realise that some of us don't want what they have to offer.
I don't want to book, I don't need 'full services' and I won't pay daft prices for a parking space in the middle of nowhere.
OK you have a 'nice' site - let those that want to spend a week there enjoy it - but don't force your conditions and rules on those that don't....

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Bit of a touchy lot on Campaigne for Real Aires Website on Facebook..Was on it for a couple of days,,not any more..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There are a few spanners lol and the admin are a bit ott but the aim is good
Admin very touchy,,someone suggested leisure centres should be approached,,i said good idea plenty are used abroad,,Bit my head off,,talking about UK i was told not Europe😁😁. Thought i would leave before i told them a few home truths..BUSBY.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't think campsite owners realise that some of us don't want what they have to offer.
I don't want to book, I don't need 'full services' and I won't pay daft prices for a parking space in the middle of nowhere.
OK you have a 'nice' site - let those that want to spend a week there enjoy it - but don't force your conditions and rules on those that don't....
Who forces anyone?

Ah the conspiracy theory that campsite owners control the Council lol

My campsite is about £20 a night, about £6 a night cheaper that the overnight fee at the services up the road, where you don’t need to book, get nothing other that somewhere to park

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back