Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I don’t think you can include Scotland as they will get independence before to long.
I think I you can say to people that they have to pay in the form of extra tax for Aires so that Motorhome can have free or cheap holiday and it’s for the people’s own good, that’s some sell. If you can sell that your going to be the worlds most amazing salesman. Or a massive liar in which case they should be a politician.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Camping etape parks take over municipal sites or aires so dont have the outlay of setting up an aire

That may be so however the local council saw the opportunity in the first place and invested,additionally, many of the CCP Aires that l have been on have had obvious improvements and l have met a CCP ambassador on one who was quite enthusiastic in priming the CCP brand.
They are putting much more than simply managing the sites and it’s good to see. Meanwhile in the UK we battle on,negativity doesn’t help anyone.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Even at this unrealistic £5 per night, judging by the comments of some on this and other forums it is £5 to much. Will only be used if free. I use Camping car parks in France, average 12 euros a night, which I believe is good value. The model must work as it is an expanding network.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
You might think just a bit of tarmac and a bit of pipe for water etc. But anything that council does runs into a fortune. Just look at the just a Dutch style roundabout in Cambridge, just a bit of tarmac and it cost 2.3 million pounds. How long do you honestly think £5 a night is going to take to pay it back, probably won’t cover the costs of emptying the bins.
Agreed but this piece of land was the car park for the h/c so so minimal work except to remark and put power points in, its even got fencing on 3 sides.
also if there is a chance that the users will spend money in the local shops and in turn the LA will receive tax receipts. If the shops are not there then the LA will suffer so anything to generate business must help ?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Come on you lot stop being so negative. If you don't like simple basic overnight parking spots where you are mixed with the local community or in a remote rural environment then go on the organised campsites. But don't decry what others want.

Those who think £5 is too much obviously haven't been to France recently. Yes there are still plenty of free Aires but there are also getting many more that charge and anything up to €10 is quite normal.

Campsites are not what I want, except when I have to use one because of none existent services elsewhere. I am also aware there are a lot of other like minded motor home users in the UK.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I have been involved in petitions so many times, its a waste of time.

Before we can persuade anyone to seriously consider setting up Aires, we need to convince them that the Gypsies won't pull on a screw it up on day one.

So a much better plan would be to bombard Preti Patel, the Home Secretary to push through the proposed changes in the law of trespass, to allow gypsies to be dealt with through the criminal courts, with the threat of custodial sentences should the gypsies not comply.

Some will see this as defeatist, I who deal with the issues of Gypsies regularly, have been dealing with the Police Complaints Commission, The Chief Constable of Somerset & Avon, Rebecca Pow MP and through her the Home Secretary.

No one will spend a single penny whilst the risk of Gypsy invasion looms!

And we are going to be out of pocket to the tune of about £10K having an entry system installed with Automatic Number Plate Recognition, which apart from the cost is massively inconvenient to us all that work at Cornish Farm

This posting says it all! why Aires wont work in this country until the law is changed to stop illegal occupation by a certain bunch of A Holes who seem to be above the law occupying and trashing the facility.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think you’re missing the point money. It’s not on here you have to convince. Places where people want Aires are rural and coastal areas, these are low wage and unemployment areas and you are expecting these people to pay extra tax to provide these for people to have free or cheap holidays. These areas have retired people who have to pay for their care to firms who employ min wages care workers and yet you blindly think they will be happy to pay more tax for your free holiday. Yes I can see that being a vote winner.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I think you’re missing the point money. It’s not on here you have to convince. Places where people want Aires are rural and coastal areas, these are low wage and unemployment areas and you are expecting these people to pay extra tax to provide these for people to have free or cheap holidays. These areas have retired people who have to pay for their care to firms who employ min wages care workers and yet you blindly think they will be happy to pay more tax for your free holiday. Yes I can see that being a vote winner.

I think you're missing the point.

The supporters of Aires are not expecting poor, rural areas to subsidise their holidays. By definition poor rural and coastal areas are poor, so they usually receive subsidies from richer areas of the county and/or country.

What Aire supporters are suggesting is that this is an innovative way the authorities could divert some of these existing subsidies, to encourage and support tourism, as unlike many subsidy systems, this one has the potential to generate income as well.

You have already argued that motorhomes don't spend anything when they're on holiday, and many have disagreed with that point, but I agree that some hard evidence to support or deny this, would be helpful to the cause.

Maybe Somerset CC have loads of better ideas that would pay for themselves far quicker than re-purposing an overnight car park...I wonder what they are?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think you're missing the point.

The supporters of Aires are not expecting poor, rural areas to subsidise their holidays. By definition poor rural and coastal areas are poor, so they usually receive subsidies from richer areas of the county and/or country.

What Aire supporters are suggesting is that this is an innovative way the authorities could divert some of these existing subsidies, to encourage and support tourism, as unlike many subsidy systems, this one has the potential to generate income as well.

You have already argued that motorhomes don't spend anything when they're on holiday, and many have disagreed with that point, but I agree that some hard evidence to support or deny this, would be helpful to the cause.

Maybe Somerset CC have loads of better ideas that would pay for themselves far quicker than re-purposing an overnight car park...I wonder what they are?
Well if you can sell it to the local people and convince them it’s for their own good, you’re top salesman. Personally I think you’re flogging a dead horse and if I was asked to vote on it I would vote that the money be spent on things like the schools instead of parents having to fund raising, but if you’re a good salesman you’re have no trouble selling it.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think this is really funny, I have explained the difficulties.

We are a fully walking talking site that charges from £10 a night

The campsite employs four people, we generate income for the local businesses and pay a lot in rates, as well as collect VAT and pay Tax on any profits.

The local authority would close us down tomorrow if they could, and we are net contributors to the Council.

”Don’t be negative lol” 😘

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Its not a petition. People are actively contacting their local councils and members to explain how it will help the council and the local businesses.

Kent has plenty of Gypsies, but Canterbury City Council have no problems with keeping their Old Dover Street Aire free of them. To the extent that they have opened two further ones at Reculver and Herne Bay. And propose to add a new one in Canterbury itself.
there is actually another two car parks in kent with dedicated motorhome places oneis £2 to overnight the other is £10 for 24 hours

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I think this is really funny, I have explained the difficulties.

We are a fully walking talking site that charges from £10 a night

The campsite employs four people, we generate income for the local businesses and pay a lot in rates, as well as collect VAT and pay Tax on any profits.

The local authority would close us down tomorrow if they could, and we are net contributors to the Council.

”Don’t be negative lol” 😘
I agree with you - the attitude of your Council seems utterly nonsensical, but then again there's lots of things Councils do, that I disagree with.
I doubt things will change as well, but I'll still join in in calling them out on it. Call it the exuberance of youth 😂😂

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I have just sent the following to our local Councillors:

"The current pandemic has encouraged many people to holiday within the UK. In particular there has been a rapid growth in people using motorhomes and campervans. This may be a good time for Macclesfield to consider making some provision within the town centre for this type of tourism. I note with interest that our twin town Erkernfoerde provides excellent facilities: <Broken link removed> Although theirs is a rather grand site, we could perhaps look at something more modest as an additional use for existing parking space in the town. I notice that Erkenfoerde provides vouchers for use in their town in return for the parking/overnight fee.

I have attached some guidance for your consideration and I look forward to your comments"

Not expecting a reply.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

"The current pandemic has encouraged many people to holiday within the UK. In particular there has been a rapid growth in people using motorhomes and campervans. This may be a good time for Macclesfield to consider making some provision within the town centre for this type of tourism. I note with interest that our twin town Erkernfoerde provides excellent facilities: <Broken link removed> Although theirs is a rather grand site, we could perhaps look at something more modest as an additional use for existing parking space in the town. I notice that Erkenfoerde provides vouchers for use in their town in return for the parking/overnight fee.

I have attached some guidance for your consideration and I look forward to your comments"

Not expecting a reply.
Will the non motorhome residents be getting rebates as well, or is that not discrimination. Non motorhome people matter as well.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I can think of a few places in our corner of Lincolnshire that would make lovely places to spend the night. Two of them are free car parks. As much as I don’t like paying for car parking I wouldn’t object paying for overnight in a nice spot. It only needs a couple of people on the council staff to be motorhome orientated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Will the non motorhome residents be getting rebates as well, or is that not discrimination. Non motorhome people matter as well.
For someone who has a Motorhome you appear to be very Anti-Motorhomes.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
For someone who has a Motorhome you appear to be very Anti-Motorhomes.
No I am anti having money taken off me by tax and given to people with more then me.
I don’t particularly like working
It’s not particularly well paid and what I earn I want for me not others who are well able to afford a campsite.
As my sil said about it her words. Everyone today think they are entitled. They should put their hands in their pockets and pay like everyone else.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Not expecting a reply.
That is an interesting approach, I shall start looking up Twinned towns in our area and if they have an Aire or Stellplatz it is a good starting point better than trying to explain to a council what an Aire is and how it would benifit them if you can show them one in a twinned town.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No I am anti having money taken off me by tax and given to people with more then me.
I don’t particularly like working
It’s not particularly well paid and what I earn I want for me not others who are well able to afford a campsite.
As my sil said about it her words. Everyone today think they are entitled. They should put their hands in their pockets and pay like everyone else.
I think you are missing the point, we are not necessarily asking for free but somewhere to park to give access to towns and attractions.
I like many we do consider campsites unsuitable for Motorhomes, they fine for caravans & tents when you have a separate car. But they are often miles from anywhere and charge high prices which they have to, to cover the facilities they supply. These facilities are not required for Motorhomes. We just want somewhere to park at a reasonable rate if water and a dump is available its nice but not essential.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Well if all these aire are going to pay for themselves and make money charging £5 a night, Jim and eddy must be absolutely rolling in it as they charge far more then that ! Haha

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
You have missed the point completely. The Aire in question charges Euros 20 per night and gives the users a few vouchers that they can use to get money off at places in the local town. This is described on their website. It’s about encouraging tourists to spend money in local businesses. It shouldn’t cost the tax payer anything after the startup costs are covered.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You have missed the point completely. The Aire in question charges Euros 20 per night and gives the users a few vouchers that they can use to get money off at places in the local town. This is described on their website. It’s about encouraging tourists to spend money in local businesses. It shouldn’t cost the tax payer anything after the startup costs are covered.
Shouldn’t. That’s not the same as guaranteed. Lots of things councils have spent money on should of , but didn’t. If there was a pound in it someone would be doing it already.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm obviously missing something very obvious here, but what is the difference between an Aire and a small site or CL etc?

I mean, if an Aire is say £10 a night and has water and waste points, what's the difference?

Honest question?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm obviously missing something very obvious here, but what is the difference between an Aire and a small site or CL etc?

I mean, if an Aire is say £10 a night and has water and waste points, what's the difference?

Honest question?
I guess the main difference is you have to be a member of a club for the majority of CL's \ CS's. Some folk, on principle, won't join the associated club.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back