Campaign for real aires (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have been involved in petitions so many times, its a waste of time.

Before we can persuade anyone to seriously consider setting up Aires, we need to convince them that the Gypsies won't pull on a screw it up on day one.

So a much better plan would be to bombard Preti Patel, the Home Secretary to push through the proposed changes in the law of trespass, to allow gypsies to be dealt with through the criminal courts, with the threat of custodial sentences should the gypsies not comply.

Some will see this as defeatist, I who deal with the issues of Gypsies regularly, have been dealing with the Police Complaints Commission, The Chief Constable of Somerset & Avon, Rebecca Pow MP and through her the Home Secretary.

No one will spend a single penny whilst the risk of Gypsy invasion looms!

And we are going to be out of pocket to the tune of about £10K having an entry system installed with Automatic Number Plate Recognition, which apart from the cost is massively inconvenient to us all that work at Cornish Farm
Eddie your right in that it is problematic one issue is that the approach would be to persecute a minority, there was another post pointing out not all gypsie groups are the same. I suspect your ANPR will be filtering out more than MoHo owners and Gypsies it’s a shame your having to do this but good on you for doing so. Visitors will feel safer and your business more protected (y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
However the UK is infested with jobsworths who cannot stand to see others enjoying themselves, and until that changes...etc,etc.
[/QUOTE]

I keep saying it : Modern Britain and it keeps getting worse.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Aires don't have to be free. Even in France there is a modest charge for many and I certainly don't mind paying a suitable amount related to the facilities provided. Just parking and water/dump around €5 is good. If its in a good place may be more, Carcassonne aire is around €15, and at that price I prefer to pay another €5 or so and use the full facility site next door.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Just a small point about your post there, all the things you mention there are for the people who live there and pay their council tax. Aires would be paid for by them but used by people who hadn't paid.
Not knocking Aires as I have had numerous arguments on here supporting them, but just a fact that will be brought up against them.

I disagree, my earlier post (repeated below) deals with this fallacy.

This is a real misconception often peddled by those with a ‘protectionest’/NIMBY outlook.

As I understand it, local authorities only receive about 50% of their funding through council tax with the remainder being provided by central government which, as we all know, is paid for by tax payers.

It would be a sad world if communities around the country were to put measures in place to prevent outsiders from availing themselves of services ‘paid for’ by locals.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
There's some fundamentals involved - French Aires sometimes have honesty boxes which are generally plump, UK honesty boxes are generally stolen..

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
In all honesty I would happily get right behind this just after the authorities provide satisfactory lay by’s with facilities for the nations truck drivers as seen in many parts of Europe. These KEY workers often have to try and sleep just off the main routes with traffic whizzing by feet from their beds. They have to relieve themselves in hedges before rising at some ungodly hour to deliver important goods at 8. O’clock in the morning.
Absolutely NO chance.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
I think what we need is someone like Camping Car Parks the French company to start talking to councils about the benefit of aires. It needs to be a reputable company who can show how they operate on the continent, we won't get any help from the 2 big UK clubs.
I wouldn't mind paying £10 or £12 a night with facilities.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Great enthusiasm and energy, however many would not pay £10/£15 in my opinion.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
another positive response to the creation of aires.

Screenshot_20200806-232934_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200806-233002_Facebook.jpg

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And another

Steve Haywood<Broken link removed> I have just read the post, I cannot reply as I am not a full member but a lot of them posting have no idea what they are talking about.
The CAMpRA approach is working , we are not sending petitions, not sending complaints, not asking for free aires, we are promoting the financial benefits of encouraging motorhomes to visit and stay.
This message is getting through and even councils who have banned motorhomes have reconsidered and removed the restrictions.
We are now getting positive press in several local publications.
Maybe you need to tell them that?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Well good luck, like all the schemes I wish it well, but as I said I have seen loads of enthusiasm worn down to nothing over the years.

I guess buying your first Motorhome in your twenties, means you can still remember enthusiasm, but having battled the establishment you become a realist

I did put my money where my mouth is, and in 2001 put planning permission in for a small campsite

The Council didn’t want to know, despite me funding the cost in excess of £300k

Every argument, used on here, plus more was water off of a ducks back. We eventually got permission.

in 2012 we put planning in for some ‘lodges’ (additional too, not replacing pitches) The architect arranged a site meeting with the planners, who arrived and smugly told us that there was a “Moratorium on ANY new planning consent in Somerset” So whatever we did, or submitted the answer would be NO!

So as I look from my bedroom window, I can see across to the campsite, full, plus a couple of late comers, squeezed in on the car park, so circa 60 units, and I know full well the most of them will walk/ride/Taxi Into town at some point today and spend money, but we will remain looked down on by the locals,

“Oh, you live on that campsite do you? it’s yours is it, we often get caravans down our road because of you”

So local pubs love us, as do taxi firms, the local shops, the butchers in particular, the local takeaways that deliver may as well set a branch up here, the local eBike shop does well out of us (think that’s more Van Bitz customers though TBH)

Everyone else? No interest or understanding, but would, I genuinely believe, if asked, especially anonymously, if they’d rather us not be here, would rather we were not.

This is despite, us employing people, chucking over £10,000 a year to the community in rates, yet not using pretty much anything (chemical treatment plant dealing with all water waste on site, so no mains drainage, private waste collection, dealing all rubbish created on site, no pavements or street lights) and all privately funded, so good luck persuading the general public that its a good move to use rate payers money.

I am a motorhomer, so would 100% back any scheme, irrespective of owning a campsite, as I know I use a mix of sites and Aires when abroad, but personal experienc has given me quite an insight and I doubt it will happen

Mind you, there are pub stop overs, CL’s and some overnight parking spots so it’s not all bad👍🏻

Well everything you have written is factual and a good insight to the difficulties of a business such as yours,however, the growth and popularity of Motorhomes is growing at an alarming rate, and they are becoming a problem, therefore,surely the powers that be will at some point have to take this on board become more lenient and react accordingly by providing facilities.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Well everything you have written is factual and a good insight to the difficulties of a business such as yours,however, the growth and popularity of Motorhomes is growing at an alarming rate, and they are becoming a problem, therefore,surely the powers that be will at some point have to take this on board become more lenient and react accordingly by providing facilities.
I think more realistic is that the population is growing at an alarming rate and there will not be room for people to travel around staying where they want.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
All this talk about councils having no money it wasnt long ago some lost millions invested in Iceland but was a small part of their emergency fund surely this pandemic is an emergency so why are they short of money?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think more realistic is that the population is growing at an alarming rate and there will not be room for people to travel around staying where they want.
That may have some validity in the south east , other than a couple of northern industrial regions there's plenty of room JMHO

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
In Todmorden there is a plot of land which was the site of a health centre. The plot is blocked off so undesirables do not park on it it, but it is prime for an Aire which could quickly be modified and the LA could charge £5. Per night. There are services which could be tapped into and it is less than 300 yards from the market area of town.
LA. Are frightened of getting old hippies turning up and making the place look untidy.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You might think just a bit of tarmac and a bit of pipe for water etc. But anything that council does runs into a fortune. Just look at the just a Dutch style roundabout in Cambridge, just a bit of tarmac and it cost 2.3 million pounds. How long do you honestly think £5 a night is going to take to pay it back, probably won’t cover the costs of emptying the bins.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Which is why so many Funsters go to mainland Europe ,space,freedom,and somewhere to park.
Someone here must cotton onto the benefits at some point.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You might think just a bit of tarmac and a bit of pipe for water etc. But anything that council does runs into a fortune. Just look at the just a Dutch style roundabout in Cambridge, just a bit of tarmac and it cost 2.3 million pounds. How long do you honestly think £5 a night is going to take to pay it back, probably won’t cover the costs of emptying the bins.

This may be true so why don’t they follow the Business Model of Camping Car Parks in France you pay a bit more but they are managing the Aires so well and getting more Muncipialities on board as they are growing, l was advised of about ten more this week so something is working or the expansion wouldn’t continue.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Which is why so many Funsters go to mainland Europe ,space,freedom,and somewhere to park.
Someone here must cotton onto the benefits at some point.
What of going to France, yes it has plenty of space and weather is better on average.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
This may be true so why don’t they follow the Business Model of Camping Car Parks in France you pay a bit more but they are managing the Aires so well and getting more Muncipialities on board as they are growing, l was advised of about ten more this week so something is working or the expansion wouldn’t continue.
I have an idea as there seems to be lots of money being spent. All those working that never got furlough money or anything at all are given a 10 grand Xmas bonus by the government to boost the economy. This would be more beneficial to me.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
All those that say local council tax payers shouldn't have to pay for aire type facilities forget that motorhomers are part of their own community.

Already mentioned that half of local funding is from central government (all taxpayers).

Getting income from a carpark otherwise empty overnight by using existing pay machines and enforcement whether a public or private carpark should be a no brainer.

The stumbling block is the existing camping restrictions - needs reform

Deleted User
You are spot on with this. However, there may be a case if the right people are appoached because if you look at where the LAs spend your money much of it goes to minority interests. Swimming pools and libraries for example and people in care still only make the minority of the community. Although I'm very sceptical - as Exmouth proved I was willing to pay £11pn to stop over in the summer.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We had a tea break the other day on Brocolitia Car Park on the B6318, the Military road, which follows the course of Hadrians Wall in Northumbria.

IMG_20200805_155951.jpg

It is a Pay and Display car park with a very modern pay machine that allows payment by card and (normally) coins.

IMG_20200805_152425.jpg

IMG_20200807_085619.jpg

The car park is operated, along with others, by Northumbria National Park....

If you click on 'Car Parking Charges' is shows, at some of them, you can actually pay for and leave your motorhome overnight, but you cant stay with it.

£10.00 overnight (Cars and Motorhomes may be parked and left overnight but camping and overnighting in motorhomes is not allowed)

Screenshot_20200807-091438_Chrome.jpg

I am considering contacting Northumbria National Park regarding overnighting on their car parks but have a couple of questions I thought I'd ask on here first...

1. Does anyone know if there is any 'bad' history why the authority won't allow overnighting in motorhomes?

2. I don't use Facebook, so can't contact CAMPrA. Does anyone have any other contact details for them?

Barry

Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020
Camping Car Parks looks like a good system.

• The parks are being managed
  • Access is controlled and limited to 'members'
  • Fee for a night is £10-£12 in most cases
  • The majority of sites have 20-40 pitches
Revenue when fully occupied of £200-£500 per day. I can see how it's financially viable.

Meanwhile, back in the UK all the talk seems to be about providing half a dozen pitches in a car park at £5 per night. Total revenue £30 per day if fully occupied. It's not financially viable without a large subsidy from somewhere.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Camping etape parks take over municipal sites or aires so dont have the outlay of setting up an aire

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back