Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It could be a penny,a pound, or a hundred pounds it’s still money that other people have had to pay in council tax to be spent on people they don’t even know for their holiday, and don’t give me that they will spend money. The countless threads on here about how much dealers, Warner’s shows etc overcharged. And how much they save by not doing X . Motorhome people don’t spend money, it’s against their religion. It’s as bad as preaching the trickledown theories of money, it doesn’t trickle down. I and many others would rather keep the money in our pockets and let those who want it pay for it. I can’t see it being sold round here.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It could be a penny,a pound, or a hundred pounds it’s still money that other people have had to pay in council tax to be spent on people they don’t even know for their holiday, and don’t give me that they will spend money. The countless threads on here about how much dealers, Warner’s shows etc overcharged. And how much they save by not doing X . Motorhome people don’t spend money, it’s against their religion. It’s as bad as preaching the trickledown theories of money, it doesn’t trickle down. I and many others would rather keep the money in our pockets and let those who want it pay for it. I can’t see it being sold round here.
I beg to differ .....im more inclined to spend money if my parking spot was free or cheap.

Paying £35+ plus a night for a campsite certainly wouldn't encourage me to then go spend money in the local shops and bars

Especially as most that use campsites do so because they can bbq or cook outside and drink their way through a load of booze they took with them .

On an aire you can't so are more likely to eat out at takeaway or restaurant and maybe a few pints in the pub.

The reason that doesnt happen much here is because of so many restrictions

Scotland is easier but still most wild spots are miles from town.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
we do spend money locally when we are out in the MH, that is part of our enjoying our hobby, eating out, buying local produce and goods, and we just need somewhere to park up, overnight as we travel or visit the towns etc during the day

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I think a good example of what CAMpRA are advocating can be found at Ingleton , N Yorks.

I started a thread on it last year....

Very little initial outlay, alteration to signs etc.

Fleetwood and Lytham are further examples in the area.

Barry

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
we do spend money locally when we are out in the MH, that is part of our enjoying our hobby, eating out, buying local produce and goods, and we just need somewhere to park up, overnight as we travel or visit the towns etc during the day
I tell you what. You spend your money and I will keep mine in my pocket and not paying for other people to go on holidays. It’s a simple concept that i think most people would go for. You only have to look at the way Cornwall was anti people going there recently. If people want something save up for it. Quite a simple system.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I tell you what. You spend your money and I will keep mine in my pocket and not paying for other people to go on holidays. It’s a simple concept that i think most people would go for. You only have to look at the way Cornwall was anti people going there recently. If people want something save up for it. Quite a simple system.

It would be a boring world if we were all the same, would it not!!!

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
It would only take a few more places like Canterbury to make a big difference to motorhoming, then build on that.
I spoke to them awhile ago and I believe they have a court order (or something similar) in place to stop gypsies settling. If they can do it and are clearly happy with the results then other towns/cities could too. We certainly spent more money there than usual having buses taking us into the city centre and retail parks.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is simply nonsense. Why do you think the French and German councils provide so many council Aires. Because it brings money into their towns and villages. They pay for themselves and boost the local economy. Whenever we stay on a local Aire or Stellplatz, or Sosta or Camper park, we spend money in the bars, or restaurants, or grocers or patisserie.

One of the few towns in England that has an Aire is Canterbury. They have it because they know it brings money into the City. We were there last autumn for a couple of nights. Got the Scooter serviced and MOT'd in a Suzuki dealer we know then some food shopping and looking for some stuff for the house in the a couple of nearby stores before heading for the Aire. Next day got the free P&R bus into the City Centre, did some clothes shopping, and had a nice meal out as well some drinks. The day after we left the Aire and filled up with diesel on the way out. Probably spent over £200 or so in the local economy. Just a small bit for the local economy, but it all helps to make Canterbury a City with a thriving centre, unlike many other UK Cities. And we will probably do the same again this Autumn as well.

And BTW, the few shows and rallies we have attended we have always spent money in the local communities.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well good luck, like all the schemes I wish it well, but as I said I have seen loads of enthusiasm worn down to nothing over the years.

I guess buying your first Motorhome in your twenties, means you can still remember enthusiasm, but having battled the establishment you become a realist

I did put my money where my mouth is, and in 2001 put planning permission in for a small campsite

The Council didn’t want to know, despite me funding the cost in excess of £300k

Every argument, used on here, plus more was water off of a ducks back. We eventually got permission.

in 2012 we put planning in for some ‘lodges’ (additional too, not replacing pitches) The architect arranged a site meeting with the planners, who arrived and smugly told us that there was a “Moratorium on ANY new planning consent in Somerset” So whatever we did, or submitted the answer would be NO!

So as I look from my bedroom window, I can see across to the campsite, full, plus a couple of late comers, squeezed in on the car park, so circa 60 units, and I know full well the most of them will walk/ride/Taxi Into town at some point today and spend money, but we will remain looked down on by the locals,

“Oh, you live on that campsite do you? it’s yours is it, we often get caravans down our road because of you”

So local pubs love us, as do taxi firms, the local shops, the butchers in particular, the local takeaways that deliver may as well set a branch up here, the local eBike shop does well out of us (think that’s more Van Bitz customers though TBH)

Everyone else? No interest or understanding, but would, I genuinely believe, if asked, especially anonymously, if they’d rather us not be here, would rather we were not.

This is despite, us employing people, chucking over £10,000 a year to the community in rates, yet not using pretty much anything (chemical treatment plant dealing with all water waste on site, so no mains drainage, private waste collection, dealing all rubbish created on site, no pavements or street lights) and all privately funded, so good luck persuading the general public that its a good move to use rate payers money.

I am a motorhomer, so would 100% back any scheme, irrespective of owning a campsite, as I know I use a mix of sites and Aires when abroad, but personal experienc has given me quite an insight and I doubt it will happen

Mind you, there are pub stop overs, CL’s and some overnight parking spots so it’s not all bad👍🏻

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Don't you not want the tourist £ where you live then?
Our town/ village is on its arse right now.
Anything to further help our local businesses is VERY welcome here.
Since furlough we have some serious redundancies locally and that may mean less money being spent as it's not around, and then, as more shops or businesses close due to lack of support, where do people then shop?
Answer........ On line!
So what little money we have locally sloshing about presently, any new incoming funding from tourism / visitors is welcome.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Don't you not want the tourist £ where you live then?
Our town/ village is on its arse right now.
Anything to further help our local businesses is VERY welcome here.
Since furlough we have some serious redundancies locally and that may mean less money being spent as it's not around, and then, as more shops or businesses close due to lack of support, where do people then shop?
Answer........ On line!
So what little money we have locally sloshing about presently, any new incoming funding from tourism / visitors is welcome.
Even if they got a meal local and they had to take on an extra couple of east European workers, there is absolutely nothing in it for me or many other people living here apart from paying council tax to subsidise someone else’s holiday. If I am paying for something I want it for me not someone else , I find it better that way.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Even if they got a meal local and they had to take on an extra couple of east European workers, there is absolutely nothing in it for me or many other people living here apart from paying council tax to subsidise someone else’s holiday. If I am paying for something I want it for me not someone else , I find it better that way.
Would your area that you live in then, not benefit from any extra income?
Is it so socially complete that it doesn't need any assistance?
Where is it please and does it have a campsite?
Seems idyllic, must visit!

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Why then do you have a MH, just stay in your own town, where you have paid for the facilities etc, and spend your money there.
If we all thought like that no one would ever go anywhere, and where would the economy be then.
We all contribute something somewhere, so spread it around and get out and enjoy this country of ours.
And would you refuse a free or low cost parking spot if available ???

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Why then do you have a MH, just stay in your own town, where you have paid for the facilities etc, and spend your money there.
If we all thought like that no one would ever go anywhere, and where would the economy be then.
We all contribute something somewhere, so spread it around and get out and enjoy this country of ours.
And would you refuse a free or low cost parking spot if available ???
Have tried Aires and the other half doesn’t feel safe as on a campsite so we use campsites for which we pay and I am pretty sure do not get any help from the local council tax.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
a Facebook page is really taking of campaigning for real aires and parking for motorhomes ....even a few councillors on board

Might interest those interested in off site parking etc

You will likely need to be a Facebook user to view

The group now has 6.5K members. Templates available for letters, etc. If you are on FB, take a look.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The group now has 6.5K members. Templates available for letters, etc. If you are on FB, take a look.
Well as you quoted me telling others it was on facebook I think its safe to assume I'm on facebook and already a member lol

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

This is a real misconception often peddled by those with a ‘protectionest’/NIMBY outlook.

As I understand it, local authorities only receive about 50% of their funding through council tax with the remainder being provided by central government which, as we all know, is paid for by tax payers.

It would be a sad world if communities around the country were to put measures in place to prevent outsiders from availing themselves of services ‘paid for’ by locals.

Ian

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
And if one is not on FB and does not want to be?

Why have so many activities migrated to the likes of FB, Twitter etc.?
Then you miss out, the reason that they migrate is possibly because it's easy to set up a group and is free.

Facebook is a tool that you have to 'learn' to get any benefit from.

People that moan about it are using it incorrectly.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
So let's NOT have council supported, libraries, swimming pools, tennis courts, sports fields, kids play grounds, public parks & gardens, etc. etc.

And most of us are suggesting that we pay a contribution towards the provision of Aires where many of those I have listed above are free for the taking! Not to mention the possible income from those being able to spend a night in your area.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So let's NOT have council supported, libraries, swimming pools, tennis courts, sports fields, kids play grounds, public parks & gardens, etc. etc.

And most of us are suggesting that we pay a contribution towards the provision of Aires where many of those I have listed above are free for the taking! Not to mention the possible income from those being able to spend a night in your area.
Just a small point about your post there, all the things you mention there are for the people who live there and pay their council tax. Aires would be paid for by them but used by people who hadn't paid.
Not knocking Aires as I have had numerous arguments on here supporting them, but just a fact that will be brought up against them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The argument I used to put forward but have give up now as it's not going to happen, is the use of carparks, here in uttoxeter we have a massive carpark right in the middle of town, it's never full in the daytime , completely empty at night, it has public toilets right on it, and a bus station outside it, now I can't see any sensible reason why motorhomes couldn't stay on there, could have all amenities at hardly any cost, shops and cafes, chip shops, pubs
all around, could be well worth a tenner a night, for no outlay.
But will it happen, will it hell.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Lots of passion here but something I don’t understand about car parks standing empty overnight.
We have a free car park near us that is really intended for residents and their visitors however it is quite often full to overflowing with campers who stay for days on end. Ghey are also quite good at spacing themselves to prevent cars getting in between them.
So under the schemes above they would be prevented from parking before when? And required to leave by when?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back