Abandoned motorhome??? (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
So, it travelled from Becks to Spain without flagging any alerts!!!

Not good.
Perhaps it was stolen when in Spain?
Wonder what the insurance company does now as it is theirs if paid out on it?

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
The story so far....
I am at Camping Pinar San Jose and it looks as though it is the van that was stolen from Barbate.
Apparently the couple have settled with the insurance company and are awaiting delivery of their new van, so hopefully that means they will not have any problems now that their van has been found.
There is the possibility that some of their personal stuff is still on board, although the Police have already found their technology that had been dumped when originally stolen.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
So it belonged to two different sources???

Confused!

I think that it was sold by Becks to somebody who then went on holiday and had it stolen when they were at Barbate......but I might be wrong :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
And the first to have found it will most likely get a nice little reward from the insurance company...

If they can be bothered to find out the company name and write to them...

I did once.... ££££££££`s.... :D(y)

They will be only to pleased to give you a few quid...

All they will do is ship it back and auction it and be pleased that they are getting a goodly sum back.. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
And the first to have found it will most likely get a nice little reward from the insurance company...

If they can be bothered to find out the company name and write to them...

I did once.... ££££££££`s.... :D(y)

They will be only to pleased to give you a few quid...

All they will do is ship it back and auction it and be pleased that they are getting a goodly sum back.. :)

Yes. I chased some some thieves once and managed to grab some money they had stolen from a till in a shop ... (I woudn't recommend it though) .. and the shop's insurer gave me a percentage of the amount I retreaved. :)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
shop's insurer gave me a percentage of the amount I retreaved. :)

Mine was back in 1998-9.... and was the equivalent of a few months wages... "Bonus"... :dance2:

But you would not remember that far back.... you were still in nappy`s.. :hugs::lips:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mine was back in 1998-9.... and was the equivalent of a few months wages... "Bonus"... :dance2:

But you would not remember that far back.... you were still in nappy`s.. :hugs::lips:

Can't help but luvs ya when you say stuff like that. Others might call you a lie teller but us wimmin just know you is cute. :)

You got a lot more than I did then. Good on you. :)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Not if paying monthly
I thought of this one as well but i think you would probably get a years tax from first purchase, if the van was a couple of years older i would go with this option as quite reasonable.
Watching and waiting for more info

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Thinking this through, IF your van WAS stolen you would be wise to declare it to DVLA, and cancell the "tax". So as not to get all the fines and tickets. It`s a right PITA, Having to fend off all sorts of Miserable lowlife gits. (sorry, Bailiffs). When some scrote has done a load of crime in YOUR vehicle.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Be interesting to know facts of how it was stolen, whether left unlocked , or just broken into.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Latest update...
It is the van that was stolen in december from Barbate, Spain.
The insurance company have definitely paid out and the couple are waiting for their new van.
Apparently it has been at the place where it was found for several weeks.
It is still all in one piece and awaiting collection by the insurance company.
It was stolen from an area on the beach frequented by the surfer dudes in a very popular area amongst other vans.
It was fully secured at the time using insurance approved security.
It was only 9 months old and really was their baby.

If I can find out more regarding the security aspect I will do a further update.

XX

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think that it was sold by Becks to somebody who then went on holiday and had it stolen when they were at Barbate......but I might be wrong :D
One advantage of a RHD model, the foreigners don't want them too obvious, can't sell them.
As for the tax, if it was stolen then the tax is stopped and the ANPR cameras are livened up to it as a interesting vehicle , better catch it for loosing them money, than being nicked.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
One advantage of a RHD model, the foreigners don't want them too obvious, can't sell them.
As for the tax, if it was stolen then the tax is stopped and the ANPR cameras are livened up to it as a interesting vehicle , better catch it for loosing them money, than being nicked.
Yeah that was my thinking too , rhd van is only worth nicking in the UK

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Am I being somewhat cynical in being surprised (amazed) that a British registered and insured vehicle is stolen in Spain mid January or thereabouts and paid out by mid February.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Yes. I chased some some thieves once and managed to grab some money they had stolen from a till in a shop ... (I woudn't recommend it though) .. and the shop's insurer gave me a percentage of the amount I retreaved. :)
Did you give it all back ;)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Am I being somewhat cynical in being surprised (amazed) that a British registered and insured vehicle is stolen in Spain mid January or thereabouts and paid out by mid February.
what is the turnaround time for payment then?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
what is the turnaround time for payment then?
I would expect 6weeks or so in a U K based theft to be good with value not exceeding 30000 or so but overseas loss and possibly 60000 or more 8 weeks as an absolute minimum. I am not an expert but base this past customers experiences. I hope I am wrong for sake of anyone unfortunate enough to experience such an event.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Stolen in December, makes it a minimum of 7 weeks and a possible11 weeks. So I reckon a payout is at least possible

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Not quite sure about the tone of your question.
I was here when they made their way back to the camp site after it had been stolen. Not only the van but all of their personal possessions, so I trust you are not insinuating something is suspicious about the theft.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I read it that he was just suprised at the efficiency of the Ins Co.
They are usually quite slow to settle a claim and a theft abroad would give them additional excuses to delay.
Just my take on it.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Not quite sure about the tone of your question.
I was here when they made their way back to the camp site after it had been stolen. Not only the van but all of their personal possessions, so I trust you are not insinuating something is suspicious about the theft.
I think @Figaro answers that for me.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
It may have changed, but in the uk a vehicle was not officially stolen until missing for 28days, and insurers would mot payout until 28days had passed. I had a car stolen and the cheque arrived on the 29th day, for more than i expected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back