EU Pet passport.. latest information?? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
so back again to get this amended - must be something about our microchip number as this is why we ended up with a French passport in the first place as our vet had incorrectly written it down in the UK one back in 2019....
From the outset of the implantation we receive about a dozen barcode stickers. I keep them with the passport so if a number is needed you just stick one in
Arrive at pet passport Eurotunnel
This is the only place that appears to have any problems.
Our next challenge will be to ask the French vet to document the worming etc on both documents just in case, then we should be home & dry........
Shouldn't be a problem at all as the passport is spanish.they only appear to get twitchy if they are French ones
I cannot see anywhere that they stamp the passports to say they have been allowed in, maybe the do not on the pet ones?
Scanned i believe.

As to "encapsulation" then to my knowledge if the entries are not encapsulated then they are not acceptable. New type passports have the stuff in whereas existing pre-encapsulated passports have to have them sealed at the vets when they do the entries. Which is what mine has to do.

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
As to "encapsulation" then to my knowledge if the entries are not encapsulated then they are not acceptable. New type passports have the stuff in whereas existing pre-encapsulated passports have to have them sealed at the vets when they do the entries. Which is what mine has to do.
I really hope this isn’t the case as only the first page with the microchip details on is ‘encapsulated’ / sealed on ours, nothing where the rabies was given. No strips in the French passport but plenty in the old UK one though bit wary of tampering with it!!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
€110 for check up and worming for the 2 pups.

Bit more expensive than others but she is very easy to get along with, returns messages all times of day and is flexible with dates!
Ah ok, thank you. I was toying with using her for worming the next time but at that price will be sticking with Dr Marks.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Scanned i believe.
Interesting. I have never noticed them scan the pet passports, only the dogs for the microchip - and since Covid they hand the scanner over to the owner to do that themselves.

I will be coming back through Pet Reception at Calais tomorrow and will ask them what they do.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I really hope this isn’t the case as only the first page with the microchip details on is ‘encapsulated’ / sealed on ours, nothing where the rabies was given. No strips in the French passport but plenty in the old UK one though bit wary of tampering with it!!
Nix’s French pet passport didn’t have any little lamination stickers in it, and the vet that issued it didn’t laminate the rabies vaccine sticker. However I’d read in the ‘How to complete Pet Passports’ booklet that rabies vaccine stickers should be laminated, so I did it myself using one from her old UK pet passport.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Christian is well worth seeing. I love him and his humour x
We saw him for the first time on Monday. I knew what to expect humour-wise from what other Funsters have said so wasn’t troubled by that. However I wasn’t impressed with his worming tablet technique - he tried to stuff 2 tablets at once down Nix’s throat which didn’t work as she spat one out. He then tried blowing up her nose which is something she hates and will snap at. I thought I was pretty rubbish at getting tablets down her throat but if we go back to him again I will be doing it myself.

He also seems to be in ‘not wanting to get into trouble’ and ‘writing something extra’ mode, as RidersofRohan posted in another thread. With us (dog with existing EU pet passport) he ‘didn’t want to get into trouble’ over the worming tablets, and insisted on writing ‘2 tablets for dogs up to 20kg dog weight’ as well as the actually required manufacturer and product. While this is nowhere near as strange as writing ‘This dog is fit to return to the islands of the Queen’ on an AHC it certainly wasn’t necessary. :RollEyes:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Ah ok, thank you. I was toying with using her for worming the next time but at that price will be sticking with Dr Marks.
Yes made me splutter a bit so May go elsewhere in October when we return again.
She does a health check on the dogs so didn’t know if that was required?

Won’t be using the German chap by the sound of him as my 2 Jacks would be hanging off his arm if he tried anything.
Bit of cheese is all you need to give a dog a tablet😁😁

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Won’t be using the German chap by the sound of him as my 2 Jacks would be hanging off his arm if he tried anything.
When we used the Buchy vet , he did worming for 5.30€ without health check.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We saw him for the first time on Monday. I knew what to expect humour-wise from what other Funsters have said so wasn’t troubled by that. However I wasn’t impressed with his worming tablet technique - he tried to stuff 2 tablets at once down Nix’s throat which didn’t work as she spat one out. He then tried blowing up her nose which is something she hates and will snap at. I thought I was pretty rubbish at getting tablets down her throat but if we go back to him again I will be doing it myself.

He also seems to be in ‘not wanting to get into trouble’ and ‘writing something extra’ mode, as RidersofRohan posted in another thread. With us (dog with existing EU pet passport) he ‘didn’t want to get into trouble’ over the worming tablets, and insisted on writing ‘2 tablets for dogs up to 20kg dog weight’ as well as the actually required manufacturer and product. While this is nowhere near as strange as writing ‘This dog is fit to return to the islands of the Queen’ on an AHC it certainly wasn’t necessary. :RollEyes:
I had brought cheese with me to put the pills in if mine didn't want them. He also wrote no of pills and weight on our British pet passport as did another German vet.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
€110 for check up and worming for the 2 pups.

Bit more expensive than others but she is very easy to get along with, returns messages all times of day and is flexible with dates!
I tend to use the vet at Bergues on the way back if on the area. She charges around 40 euros for the two dogs. Mind you that was 2 years ago.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

The health check is not required by Eurotunnel and I doubt if any of the ferries need it either (altho’ I could be wrong on that as I’ve never used the ferry). I believe it may be required by airlines tho’ - probably due to the stress caused to dogs that have to fly in the cargo hold. There are only 9 spaces in the pet passport for health checks whereas there are 16 for worming, so you will fill your pet passport up unnecessarily early if you get a health check done each time.

Re the cheese: my dog’s middle name is ‘Devious’. She will carefully lick the cheese off any tablet and refuse to have anything to do with the tablet itself. She can also hold any tablet in her mouth for an unnaturally long period of time before surreptitiously sliding it out of her mouth and lying on it. :RollEyes:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I had brought cheese with me to put the pills in if mine didn't want them. He also wrote no of pills and weight on our British pet passport as did another German vet.
I’ve not known a vet do that before - it’s certainly not a requirement. Perhaps it’s a German thing. :laughing:

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We've recently used the Vet at Bourg Achard (SW of Rouen) which is part of the same practice as the Vet at La Mailleraye, but they seem to have more appointments, they charged 18€ & we supplied our own wormers. At our request, they did not complete the fitness to travel on the PP. No problems when returning through Eurotunnel with Oscar's Spanish passport

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014

When it came to the worming pill, I took it off him and gave it to Harvey. Despite its size he swallowed it, he will sometimes do this for me. Marks said Oh I normally have cheddar cheese for British dogs.
When I went to Pet Control at Calais I was nervous about the “islands of the Queen” bit he (Marks) had written on the AHC, but I don’t think the officer read it. I stupidly blurted out “I think the vet was joking about the islands of the Queen”. He looked back at me puzzled and just smiled, by this time I had the AHC in my hand and made a exit thinking why did I even say that.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

We got our passport off Mme Jaucot four weeks ago when we first came over rather than worry about it,called in today for wormer etc. today,€39 if you take your own tablet,we usually use Christisn Marks but it would have taken us out if the way by more than €35 of fuel🙂

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We got our passport off Mme Jaucot four weeks ago when we first came over rather than worry about it,called in today for wormer etc. today,€39 if you take your own tablet,we usually use Christisn Marks but it would have taken us out if the way by more than €35 of fuel🙂
When you got passport did you get new rabies or did she copy off AHC

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Copied it over off old passport 👍
Best check dates then, ours failed at tunnel because rabies was November 21 and the chip read date was April 22.
We’ve got to get another AHC and then a rabies to make the eupp work.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Best check dates then, ours failed at tunnel because rabies was November 21 and the chip read date was April 22.
We’ve got to get another AHC and then a rabies to make the eupp work.

Thats why I picked up the passport four weeks ago,so I could check it and have anything incorrect changed today.👍

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
My do a (Romanian rescue dog) has a passport issued in Romania. Went to have the Rabies injection renewed and the vet said no problem with the injections but they were not allowed to update the EU passport. Only an EU Vet. Stuff em! Britains a great country to tour. Lots to discover yet. Pity about the weather though

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Interesting. I have never noticed them scan the pet passports, only the dogs for the microchip - and since Covid they hand the scanner over to the owner to do that themselves.

I will be coming back through Pet Reception at Calais tomorrow and will ask them what they do.
Sailed through Pet Reception at Calais with Nix and her French pet passport with UK address and no Icad registration. I asked the French woman who was behind the desk if they scanned pet passports like they did human ones, and she answered that they didn’t. So there is no record of when a particular animal enters or leaves the EU. All they are interested in is that the dog’s microchip matches the one in the pet passport, and that rabies vaccinations and wormer are correct.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Just stopped at Plouer sur Rance for wormer
Great English speaking vet, new wormer the dog seemed to like
But sadly no French passport
He’d have been happy to do that with a friends address though

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just stopped at Plouer sur Rance for wormer
Great English speaking vet, new wormer the dog seemed to like
But sadly no French passport
He’d have been happy to do that with a friends address though
Was this the CV Rance Fremur that was on the Facebook list? If so, I will remove it. Did you try any other French vets?

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Yes it was Rance Fremur. There seems to be a lot of vets at the practice - it was a jolly nice consultation and fir the first time in quite a few worming visits the dog behaved and had his wormer. A new one to us VeloxA because he said some collies are allergic to Drontal. I think ours has just allergic to taking it!!

• Informative
Reactions: maz
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Vet was very surprised to be asked re passport. and went to some lengths explaning the bureaucracy involved especially with I- cad- he’d have no qualms at all I reckon if you could give an address- any friends address in France so maybe not scrap it but with a warning!!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: maz

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back