EU Pet passport.. latest information?? (3 Viewers)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
As with many people we bought an EU passport whilst in Europe (Belgium) last October (2021) however there still seems to be some uncertainty as to the validity of the exercise.
In essence has anyone on here purchased a pet passport from Europe and used it successfully on a more recent trip or as in this year (2022).
Thank you in anticipation

OP
OP
sylvester1954
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Why do you think there is uncertainty on its validity ?
We've had some comment on a couple of motorhome FB pages where travellers are suggesting that the French authorities are clamping down on those registered with a EU country but not being an actual resident of that country.So l'm hoping to hear from anyone who has recently succeeded the crossing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
We bought our dog through from Calais on her Cypriot passport yesterday, absolutely no problem, 3rd time since Brexit , the vet where we went for wormer said they are making it more difficult to obtain a French passport

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Just had a month in Benidorm and while in a bar just outside Benidorm got talking to a local couple and she happened to be working in the vets in Benidorm just below Raco campsite,

Got talking about the pet passports as we had a dog and looking at possibly getting another. She said that they had been issuing pet passports to British people and taking Raco, Villimar, etc as residences knowing that is not totally right.

Anyway she said that the authorities had spoke to the vets and told to stop issuing pet passports to anyone from Britain without a residency card and a correct address as it was illegal as we had left the EU.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just had a month in Benidorm and while in a bar just outside Benidorm got talking to a local couple and she happened to be working in the vets in Benidorm just below Raco campsite,

Got talking about the pet passports as we had a dog and looking at possibly getting another. She said that they had been issuing pet passports to British people and taking Raco, Villimar, etc as residences knowing that is not totally right.

Anyway she said that the authorities had spoke to the vets and told to stop issuing pet passports to anyone from Britain without a residency card and a correct address as it was illegal as we had left the EU.
What EU ‘law’ do they believe is being broken?

Please see my post #38 in the following thread as I’m too lazy to write it all out again:
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/problem-with-french-issued-pet-passport.251239/page-2

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
What EU ‘law’ do they believe is being broken?

Please see my post #38 in the following thread as I’m too lazy to write it all out again:
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/problem-with-french-issued-pet-passport.251239/page-2
As I said in my note that this is from a person how works in the vets , I was only repeating what she said , I personally have no experience in trying to get a eu pet passport. But she was insistant that they would now only issue a pet passport to a genuine Spanish resident

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Jan goes on a FB MH Group occasionally, it is famous for 'disinformation' from those who may be intellectually challenged or just plain mischevious...
For example, yesterday someone was complaining that they had to submit their documentation to BF three days before they travelled!
She didn't know that this was for the free document check...
BTW we got our EU Passports in late October from that vet. No mention that it could be 'dodgy'!

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Got my 2 Jacks their passports in Belgium last October and the very friendly French chap at pet control said all was good when I asked him 😁😁

Will be going back out soon so that will be the tester.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As I said in my note that this is from a person how works in the vets , I was only repeating what she said , I personally have no experience in trying to get a eu pet passport. But she was insistant that they would now only issue a pet passport to a genuine Spanish resident
Unfortunately vets and those who work in vet practices (both in the EU and the UK) frequently do not understand the intricacies of the Pet Passport or AHC, and therefore provide inaccurate information. This is not altogether surprising as AHCs are new to vets in the UK, as is the issuing of Pet Passports to Brits in the EU. It just means that you have to undertake some research yourself rather than take what one veterinary practice says as gospel. :Smile:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Rollingwheels for clarification when you say no problems, does that mean you weren't checked or you were (who by please) and all was okay? Both directions please.

Planning to get an Irish PP for Jamie when we visit later in the year but this would be to avoid the extortionate charges some vets are making for the UK paperwork when we can finally get back to Europe in general - if we ever decide of course to do that!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Rollingwheels for clarification when you say no problems, does that mean you weren't checked or you were (who by please) and all was okay? Both directions please.

Planning to get an Irish PP for Jamie when we visit later in the year but this would be to avoid the extortionate charges some vets are making for the UK paperwork when we can finally get back to Europe in general - if we ever decide of course to do that!
They're sure to have been checked by the pet passport centre in Calais which I think is where any problems may arise, if anywhere.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
suggesting that the French authorities are clamping down on those registered with a EU country but not being an actual resident of that country
There is no requirement to be.how do they explain aussies, Canadians & U:S having pet passports supplied when they arrive?
, Villimar, etc as residences knowing that is not totally right.
An address isn't required. You could use the vets address same as I use the banks address for accounts when non-resident.
As above there is no requirement for "residency" for the person, nor is there a requirement for an address.The passport is for the animal . Nothing to do with who brings him or her in.

**all the 'owner ' has to supply is his name ,a contact number & sign the correct page

Last edited:

Rollingwheels

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2021
Fordingbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2002
Hi, Eurotunnel check in UK all ok checked passports all in order, we had wormers etc. done at a vets in Roses Spain for the return, French pet passport control coming back all good same as before we left EU, just the additional check at eurotunnel uk on leaving that is different, as others have said here before you just need to make sure that the new EU passport is correctly filled in, I would suggest that once you have the passport do a dry run with an AHC as backup or be ready for a delay going out as the only problem we have seen early on was an over zealous uk check in who said the person in front of us did not have the correctly filled in passport but it was sorted with a few phone calls, we waited for the outcome as we wante to know if we were going to have similar troubles

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
It is definately no longer allowed in France to issue an EU Pet Passport for an animal which has been in France for less than ninety days, regardless of origin.. You can always try and some Vets' may be willing to circumvent the the rules for the money, but it is still against Ministry rules which have been circulated to all vet practises. A 'Min of Ag' officer stationed at the port might interpret things differently

Robert

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Had a French passport issued in October by our local vet (local to our 2nd home), we are not French resident. We were in France for only a couple weeks when they issued it.

It was fine getting back through Eurotunnel in Nov. It was fine getting our with P&O in December (Dover), however we had a problem at Caen last week getting back. Brittany Ferries said the rabies date was earlier than the microchip date. Only after a 10 min argument, would they allow us to travel this time only.

Our French vet has clearly written the date she 'checked the microchip' not the date it was implanted. I have since questioned this with BF again who uphold their decision. They say that the passport must be re-issued. I now have to take this up with our French vet.

Note, our Rabies jab was done in the UK in order to first get her out on an AHC initially.

Has anyone else had this problem?
IMG_20220202_223405.jpg

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Had a French passport issued in October by our local vet (local to our 2nd home), we are not French resident. We were in France for only a couple weeks when they issued it.

It was fine getting back through Eurotunnel in Nov. It was fine getting our with P&O in December (Dover), however we had a problem at Caen last week getting back. Brittany Ferries said the rabies date was earlier than the microchip date. Only after a 10 min argument, would they allow us to travel this time only.

Our French vet has clearly written the date she 'checked the microchip' not the date it was implanted. I have since questioned this with BF again who uphold their decision. They say that the passport must be re-issued. I now have to take this up with our French vet.

Note, our Rabies jab was done in the UK in order to first get her out on an AHC initially.

Has anyone else had this problem?
View attachment 585455
Unfortunately this is a fairly frequent problem with Pet Passports issued by transferring over existing rabies vaccination details. With transferred details the date needs to be the date of implantation of the microchip, otherwise it appears that the rabies vaccination was given before the dog was microchipped. This is highlighted in the following page from the ‘How To Complete Pet Passports‘ booklet issued by the APHA when we were still members of the EU.

47896216-0730-46E6-A87F-72CF289CA46A.png

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Unfortunately this is a fairly frequent problem with Pet Passports issued by transferring over existing rabies vaccination details. With transferred details the date needs to be the date of implantation of the microchip, otherwise it appears that the rabies vaccination was given before the dog was microchipped. This is highlighted in the following page from the ‘How To Complete Pet Passports‘ booklet issued by the APHA when we were still members of the EU.

View attachment 585476
Thanks for confirming that, I'll contact my French vet & see if they can amend or reissue the pet passport.

Jun 2, 2010
Winchester, Hants
Funster No
MH
Gulf Stream BT Cruiser RV
Exp
Since 2009
We are going to Europe in April- returning in July. We will have an AHC for both our dogs but I was hoping to get passports for them whilst in Belgium. I have booked with the Vet an appointment in July for the worming treatment and enquired whether I could get passports completed too. They replied saying they were not allowed to issue passports to me as I was not registered in Belgium.
Maybe the EU is giving Vets a directive on the issue of pet passports to visitors?
I shall try Holland and Germany too on my travels and see what they say.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Hmmm.. Looks like the eu don't like all these non resident Brits having their cake and eating it! Still if you register your pet at an eu vet and give a local address (campsite or aire b and b) if necessary i don't see how they can refuse you the service.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Got passports in November- used them for a short trip a fortnight ago. Apparently Eurotunnel are a lot stricter and apparely refuse a lot of people to board as they say they have been completed incorrectly. I had no issues on ferry

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Maybe the EU is giving Vets a directive on the issue of pet passports to visitors?
I will be very surprised if the EU as an entity is issuing any such directive. It will be individual countries introducing certain ‘requirements’ that are supposed to be met, as per France and its new-found enthusiasm for ICAD registration. For what reason? Gods know! It’s not as if there’s a finite supply of pet passports. :RollEyes:

Funsters have obtained pet passports in Belgium - mentioned in various threads on here. It’s very much a case of not giving up at the first refusal. :Smile:

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We are going to Europe in April- returning in July. We will have an AHC for both our dogs but I was hoping to get passports for them whilst in Belgium. I have booked with the Vet an appointment in July for the worming treatment and enquired whether I could get passports completed too. They replied saying they were not allowed to issue passports to me as I was not registered in Belgium.
I shall try Holland and Germany too on my travels and see what they say.
We used this vet in Mons last October for our 2 pet passports and worming tablets.
lovely lady and they were all good at the tunnel at pet check in.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I got my dogs PP in RoI last September, hoping to use it across the channel in May 👍
As already mentioned, under the pet passport scheme the animal does not have a nationality, it simply has the correct documents to cross borders. Therefore there is no reason a residency address is needed. This is just the french being peevish and it looks like they've been encouraging Belgium to follow them.
Hopefully the Germans and others will not go along with this nonsense.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
We have got our 5 month old pup an E.U passport in Ireland ( search other posts for info on vets )
Sailed into N.I via cairnryan.
Booked an appointment via E mail.
We could not transfer the Rabies Jab as no AHC, so just Jabed her again, therefore a return home via NI as no requirement for any checks.
The Passport will last for 3 years, no reaction to have 2 doses of the rabies jab.
The Irish Government has allowed there vets to issue an E.U passport To U.K addresses.
The cost of passport and jab €80.
Expored the WAW as well so quite happy.
Will be crossing the channel in April 2022 without any worrying About the dog.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Any address is irevelant, it's not needed for the PP. Just the french being ars$holes
Agree with you and the address issue with the French.
Your Address is written on the passport, which is irrelevant as tomorrow you could change address.
The micro chip all that is required to I D the dog, verified at the crossing point, plus the inoculation being in date.
Thats it.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
The problem with your address is that E.U vets could take it from higher regulations that they cannot issue a passport to UK residents.
But as we found out years ago in Spain and needing to use the library for Wi-Fi, that wanted a local address, which was easy as looking up at a street name and number, Instant address.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We could not transfer the Rabies Jab as no AHC, so just Jabed her again, therefore a return home via NI as no requirement for any checks.
If you had proof of the rabies jab being carried out, ie the info sent from your UK vet, surely that should have been sufficient? After all that's all that is used to do the AHC at a different vet which doesn't cause issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back