EU Pet passport.. latest information?? (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So can you not get one from your UK vet's any more don't know that's why I am asking.
Bill
No you can’t get a pet passport from a uk vet , you have to have an AHC which cost from £100 upwards, they last 4 months but only last for one return trip.
If you use Abbeywell vet it’s £75 for the next AHC.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
No you can’t get a pet passport from a uk vet , you have to have an AHC which cost from £100 upwards, they last 4 months but only last for one return trip.
If you use Abbeywell vet it’s £75 for the next AHC.
Was quoted £198 then £38 for rabies my brother has a address in France so it's sort out ahc first time then passport
Sorted

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
We recently had our own adventure getting a rabies booster put onto an existing pre Brexit French pet passport. Booked into a vet on the first day we were in France 12th April so it was done and out the way, partially because I had my doubts that when we arrived they would actually do it as I'd been turned down by a couple of vets. Anyway she seemed a little confused as to why we were having it done a couple of months before it was due, did we have French address etc., but she did then happily give the 3 year jab and note it in the passport (no laminate stickers in this French passport - though the page with microchip number and date of reading is laminated) incidentally just checked our old UK passport and this does have a row of lamination stickers after the rabies vaccine page but the French one doesn't!
Anyway, all was good. Continued with holiday and called at a vet on the Tuesday after easter to get wormer done before travelling home on the Thursday. Again, she seemed very cautious as we had no French address, she thought the wormer had to be administered within 24 hours of travel as opposed to 24-72 hours - spent ages looking on ICAD website but then just gingerly completed the treatment, filled in the pet passport and also the AHC we had used to get into France. Got outside and realised she had put the incorrect microchip number on the AHC so back again to get this amended - must be something about our microchip number as this is why we ended up with a French passport in the first place as our vet had incorrectly written it down in the UK one back in 2019....
Arrive at pet passport Eurotunnel on 21st April handed over the pet passport - lady looks at it and asks for 'any further documentation' as the passport is not valid as not 10 days since the rabies was given. Was explaining that it was the booster and the valid date the vet had written was 12/04/2022 but she said makes no difference - pointed to the original vaccine that was done in the UK dated 12/06/2019 that our vet had copied over after our return in 2019 and then the date at the front of the passport 23/08/2019 being the date the French vet read the microchip and issued the passport and said because the microchip was read after the rabies was given the booster needs to have been given 10 days before travel (ours was 9 days) for the passport to be valid!!
I handed over the AHC and she was happy with that - I was trying to clarify her reasoning with booster 10 days wait but hubby just said 'its fine lets go'. Didn't care just glad we had the all clear to travel. Then, just waiting for our 'imminent boarding' and decided to have another look at the passport - after searching and searching I couldn't find it!!! Was having a mini meltdown and went and found the customer service desk and the very nice lady there called up the pet passport office, put her coat on, shut up shop, told me to wait 10 minutes and off she went. Arrived back 10 minutes later with our passport in her hand!! How we'd lost / dropped it I don't know.......
So that just seemed to be yet another hoop to jump through - just a good job we had the AHC certificate completed too and that we double checked the number again.
Let's hope it will all be valid for July!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Arrive at pet passport Eurotunnel on 21st April handed over the pet passport - lady looks at it and asks for 'any further documentation' as the passport is not valid as not 10 days since the rabies was given. Was explaining that it was the booster and the valid date the vet had written was 12/04/2022 but she said makes no difference - pointed to the original vaccine that was done in the UK dated 12/06/2019 that our vet had copied over after our return in 2019 and then the date at the front of the passport 23/08/2019 being the date the French vet read the microchip and issued the passport and said because the microchip was read after the rabies was given the booster needs to have been given 10 days before travel (ours was 9 days) for the passport to be valid!!
I am trying to follow this bit and struggling. Could you post a photo of the two relevant pages in the pet passport as it might make it easier to understand? I have no idea where the 10 days bit comes from - surely if there is any issue with dates it should be the usual 21 days wait. :unsure:

As to the first two paragraphs, they just reinforce my opinion that most French vets do not seem to know what they are doing with regards to paperwork. :RollEyes:

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
I am trying to follow this bit and struggling. Could you post a photo of the two relevant pages in the pet passport as it might make it easier to understand? I have no idea where the 10 days bit comes from - surely if there is any issue with dates it should be the usual 21 days wait. :unsure:

As to the first two paragraphs, they just reinforce my opinion that most French vets do not seem to know what they are doing with regards to paperwork. :RollEyes:
OK - It was quite a challenge to try and write it up so understand the confusion - so date pet passport issued
tempImagefayBF2.jpg
Entries of first rabies copied over by our vet in 2019 so a valid entry as prior to Brexit and the recent booster clearly stating valid date of 12/04/2022 I could not see how the vaccine was not valid for 10 days??
tempImageU1xG7w.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
OK - It was quite a challenge to try and write it up so understand the confusion - so date pet passport issued
View attachment 623294
Entries of first rabies copied over by our vet in 2019 so a valid entry as prior to Brexit and the recent booster clearly stating valid date of 12/04/2022 I could not see how the vaccine was not valid for 10 days??
View attachment 623295
Thanks for the photos - they’re easier to follow. (y)

I think the problem here stems from the fact that the pet passport was issued incorrectly in the first place, with the chip read date being after the transferred over vaccination date. The vaccination you had done in April will have re-validated the pet passport but presumably this is then regarded as the first valid vaccination. Therefore there should have been a 21-day waiting period before use. (The 10-day period mentioned is incorrect and probably arises from confusion with the 10-day AHC validity period for use.)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That’s good then.
We are back with her on the 8th June day before we return so if you want me to collect a new one and then post it let me know, she is very helpful so cannot see there being any problems with her issuing a new one.
Thanks for the offer but she said we have to have a new rabies booster, so will have to use an AHc next time.

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I was originally very much against my dog having an unnecessarily early rabies booster but I was one of the first of the British contingent to get a French pet passport and the vet was unsure as to whether they could transfer the rabies info over. From what I’ve read most dogs have no problem with an early booster - in fact I remember when my dog was a puppy it was normal for them to be given two rabies vaccinations at 3-week intervals.

However something to bear in mind is that there have been a few posts on Facebook (yes, I know, but it is possible to pick up the odd useful bit of information on there amongst all the dross) about vets refusing to give early rabies boosters. I think these were Spanish vets but I wouldn’t swear to that. So be sure to check with the vet before booking an appointment.

Thanks both. We are not able to go back to that vets as we are heading onwards tomorrow. It would concern me to wait until she needs warming in case that vet won't do it. I may try and find a vet who speaks English, or use Google translate i suppose, in the next 2 weeks & ask if they will give her a rabies booster which will then be entered in the correct place. Her original rabies jab was in Feb this year & valid for 3 years. Do you know if its possible to give the booster early?
UPDATE:
we had a recommendation for a lovely English speaking vet in Sylves in Portugal. I explained the situation and she was happy to give Tilly a 3 year booster today (happy may be a bit of an exaggeration as she described the whole situation as a pain in the rear end!) As she said, why can't someone look at the passport, then at the rabies documentation, & realise they were issued for the same dog.
As it was the first documented rabies vaccine in the passport, she needed to state that it would only be valid 3 weeks from today which thankfully is OK for us as we aren't planning on going home for about 4 weeks at least. I'm glad we didn't wait until getting to France.
Our next challenge will be to ask the French vet to document the worming etc on both documents just in case, then we should be home & dry........🤞

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
UPDATE:
we had a recommendation for a lovely English speaking vet in Sylves in Portugal. I explained the situation and she was happy to give Tilly a 3 year booster today (happy may be a bit of an exaggeration as she described the whole situation as a pain in the rear end!) As she said, why can't someone look at the passport, then at the rabies documentation, & realise they were issued for the same dog.
As it was the first documented rabies vaccine in the passport, she needed to state that it would only be valid 3 weeks from today which thankfully is OK for us as we aren't planning on going home for about 4 weeks at least. I'm glad we didn't wait until getting to France.
Our next challenge will be to ask the French vet to document the worming etc on both documents just in case, then we should be home & dry........🤞
Well done on obtaining your EU pet passport. :clap2:

I don’t think there will be any problem with getting the worming recorded on both documents in France - lots of people on the dreaded Facebook have done just that. In any case, you could use just the AHC to return to the UK if necessary - and ask the Eurotunnel staff to confirm that the pet passport is fine for your next trip out.

Feb 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
frankia platin
We bought our dog through from Calais on her Cypriot passport yesterday, absolutely no problem, 3rd time since Brexit , the vet where we went for wormer said they are making it more difficult to obtain a French passport
is it cypriot or uk address on the passport please

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
This may have been answered but has anyone with a French pet passport purchased last year and returned to the uk with no problem. Then used it to return to France this year with no problem.
We are off on the 17 th we returned last year with new passport no problem and don’t see we will have a problem. Just wondering after looking through this thread.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
A strange question.
We are toying with taking our grandsons through the tunnel for a couple of nights, just for the experience. If we have the tapeworm treatment before we leave, is a UK vet allowed to record that in an EU passport?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Deleted

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
A strange question.
We are toying with taking our grandsons through the tunnel for a couple of nights, just for the experience. If we have the tapeworm treatment before we leave, is a UK vet allowed to record that in an EU passport?
Yes. That is the only section a UK vet is allowed to complete in an EU pet passport.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Is there a minimum amount of time left that you need on your rabbies vacination, ie we go to France in June for 3 weeks but the current vaccination needs renewing in Sept

We are hoping to get a 3yr rabbies vac and EU pet passport whilst there but our local vet wasn't sure if like our own passports we needed more time as current one is due in 4 months

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Is there a minimum amount of time left that you need on your rabbies vacination, ie we go to France in June for 3 weeks but the current vaccination needs renewing in Sept

We are hoping to get a 3yr rabbies vac and EU pet passport whilst there but our local vet wasn't sure if like our own passports we needed more time as current one is due in 4 months
No there isn’t, as such. You will be fine going in June for 3 weeks with the vaccination expiring in September. The only time I would be a bit cautious would be if I was travelling on an AHC and the rabies vaccination expired during the time I planned to be abroad - just in case it wasn’t possible to get an EU pet passport.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
We have managed to obtain a passport in Millau today together with our worming tablet and a new three year rabies jab.
We will be using the AHC to travel back as we will have trouble explaining that rabies is just a 3yr booster and 21 days has not passed yet.
A very helpful young lady.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Just an update,

Went to our vet in Belgium for the worming tablets a few days ago same vet we obtained the pet passports for our 2 pups last November, glad to say we sailed through Calais pet control.
Young girl just looked at them and said ok👍
I cannot see anywhere that they stamp the passports to say they have been allowed in, maybe the do not on the pet ones?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just an update,

Went to our vet in Belgium for the worming tablets a few days ago same vet we obtained the pet passports for our 2 pups last November, glad to say we sailed through Calais pet control.
Young girl just looked at them and said ok👍
I cannot see anywhere that they stamp the passports to say they have been allowed in, maybe the do not on the pet ones?
Pet Reception never stamp the pet passports - they just look at them.

How much did Dr Jaucot charge for the worming, please?

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Buchy vets France happily signed the new Spanish passport and the AHC for us and charged €8.5 with their worming tablet included.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Pet Reception never stamp the pet passports - they just look at them.

How much did Dr Jaucot charge for the worming, please?
€110 for check up and worming for the 2 pups.

Bit more expensive than others but she is very easy to get along with, returns messages all times of day and is flexible with dates!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back