EU Pet passport.. latest information?? (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Update on Dr Jaucot vets my mate called last week for a passport, charged £35 for passport, £35 consultation, £25 for check up and tooth paste £95 in total so feels a bit ripped off. Yes I know he should have asked the price first.
£95 for an EU pet passport might not be the cheapest but it is considerably cheaper than most single use AHCs

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A related question. I plan to visit Eire from mid September to late November and then head to spain for a few months.
All my dogs have EU passports 2 Spanish and one greek. I want to get titre tests done on them so i have the possibility of doing Morocco and perhaps turkey in the future.

Would tests done in Eire be acceptable? Or am i best waiting to get to Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Update on Dr Jaucot vets my mate called last week for a passport, charged £35 for passport, £35 consultation, £25 for check up and tooth paste £95 in total so feels a bit ripped off. Yes I know he should have asked the price first.
On the positive side, your friend now has an EU Pet Passport for less than the cost of a single AHC. Provided future rabies boosters are administered in the EU, that Pet Passport will be valid for the dog’s lifetime - doing away with the cost and inconvenience of any more AHCs.

I suspect Dr Jaucot has realised that there will be a considerable demand for EU Pet Passports by Brits, and is pricing her services accordingly. The only thing I find surprising is that a large number of French vets and some Belgian vets have not realised the significance of this emerging market, and prefer to deny EU Pet Passports to Brits on the spurious grounds of requiring ‘residency’ instead of making money from them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It would probably be a lot cheaper to have them done in Spain
€150 each apparently.

Not sure how much they would be in eire. Its just i plan to be there for at least 2 months whereas i will be limited to 90 days when i get in to EU and ill be moving a lot of it so figured it might be easier to get them in dublin for instance then circle ireland on the coast and collect results on return to uk before heading south to tunnel.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
[QUOTE="maz, post: 5117349, member: 15094"
The only thing I find surprising is that a large number of French vets and some Belgian vets have not realised the significance of this emerging market, and prefer to deny EU Pet Passports to Brits on the spurious grounds of requiring ‘residency’ instead of making money from them.
[/QUOTE]

Does the fact that they face losing the majority of their 'income' have anything to do with it? Let alone their Proffessional standing amongst their colleagues who obey the Rules of their respective gouvernments.

If caught the 'penalty' could be unable to sign - off ANY regulatory certificate whether 'Domestic' or 'International', not something to be dismissed if you are a rural Vet;

Robert

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
€150 each apparently.

Not sure how much they would be in eire. Its just i plan to be there for at least 2 months whereas i will be limited to 90 days when i get in to EU and ill be moving a lot of it so figured it might be easier to get them in dublin for instance then circle ireland on the coast and collect results on return to uk before heading south to tunnel.
I would ring a vet in Ireland and ask how much. You have nothing to lose and would then be able to make an informed decision

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
We paid about €60 for rabies booster on current French passport then just over that I think at a different vet for wormer & health check!! I was a little gobsmacked but ha-ho all done and dusted.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
[QUOTE="maz, post: 5117349, member: 15094"
The only thing I find surprising is that a large number of French vets and some Belgian vets have not realised the significance of this emerging market, and prefer to deny EU Pet Passports to Brits on the spurious grounds of requiring ‘residency’ instead of making money from them.

Does the fact that they face losing the majority of their 'income' have anything to do with it? Let alone their Proffessional standing amongst their colleagues who obey the Rules of their respective gouvernments.

If caught the 'penalty' could be unable to sign - off ANY regulatory certificate whether 'Domestic' or 'International', not something to be dismissed if you are a rural Vet;

Robert

[/QUOTE]
Caught doing what, exactly? No-one has been able to produce any hard evidence of the existence of these ‘Rules’, let alone any laws being broken. However, there is a whole lot of misinterpretation of existing law, wilful or otherwise. :RollEyes:

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
There is a difference between a Law and an Administrative Directive issued by a competent professional body/gouvernment department, the fact that UK Residents are denied a EU Pet Passport by the majority of EU Vets would indicate that a 'Directive' is in force. Why won't UK Vets stamp an EU Passport? What prevents them from doing so?

Robert

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There is a difference between a Law and an Administrative Directive issued by a competent professional body/gouvernment department, the fact that UK Residents are denied a EU Pet Passport by the majority of EU Vets would indicate that a 'Directive' is in force. Why won't UK Vets stamp an EU Passport? What prevents them from doing so?

Robert
nothing prevents them, they will stamp the passport, it can be done but the pet passport is then only good in UK. It will then not be accepted by EU bodies

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Robert
Perhaps you can show us a copy of this ‘Directive’ then? :wub:

UK (well technically GB) vets shouldn’t stamp the rabies section of an EU Pet Passport because since 1 Jan 2021 they are no longer EU Official Vets and therefore the Pet Passport would become invalid. This is governed by EU Regulation 576/2013.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
erhaps you can show us a copy of this ‘Directive’ then? :wub:

You have asked this question before. I'am not a Vet, but my information 'came from a Vet' who happens ' to be a friend. We talked about this subject when it first arose on the Forum. We discussed the issue and I subsequently passed on the informaton I received. It is no longer a topic of conversation between us when we meet.

I suggest you contact the French Ministry of Agriculture.

Robert

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You have asked this question before. I'am not a Vet, but my information 'came from a Vet' who happens ' to be a friend. We talked about this subject when it first arose on the Forum. We discussed the issue and I subsequently passed on the informaton I received. It is no longer a topic of conversation between us when we meet.

Robert
fortunately the French do not control or make the rules for all of the vets in the EU.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Robert
Shame you no longer talk about it. If there really is a ‘Directive’ then your vet friend would surely be able to produce it for you. The secrecy around these supposed directives is quite fascinating.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Robert
No other country bar france seems to have a problem.

I wonder why that is?

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Shame you no longer talk about it. If there really is a ‘Directive’ then your vet friend would surely be able to produce it for you. The secrecy around these supposed directives is quite fascinating.
I doubt there's any secrecy. I imagine there will have been some edict send down from the French equivalent of APHA stating that pets passports can only be issued to dogs on the French database or some such. Obviously a lot of French vets have got cold feet about issuing PPs to British dogs for some reason.
I'll ask around and see if any of my more internationally connected colleagues can give us a fuller picture.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
In fact, it took me less than a minute on Google. French Min of Ag prohibits issuing PPs to dogs not on the icad system and in France for 3 months.

From Schengenvisainfo.com

"According to the French Agriculture Ministry, pets that previously had an EU pet passport issued in the United Kingdom must have been registered by the owner with French pet register Identification, the des Carnivores Domestiques (I-CAD). Such registration can be completed after checking the pet at a French vet, provided the animal has a French ID card from the service, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports."

“The veterinarian can only issue a French passport to an animal holding a UK/EU passport issued before January 1, 2021, after checking whether the animal’s identification number has been recorded in the national file. Identification of domestic carnivores (I-CAD) and that an identification card has been issued,” a notice published by I-CAD reads."

"An official from I-CAD also told The Connexion that the new rule applies to new French pet passports of British owners’ animals, who didn’t have an animal pet passport before. In either case, he added that an animal could be registered with I-CAD if the owner proves that they and their animal will be staying in France longer than three months, which is also the maximum time frame for British visitors"

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
In fact, it took me less than a minute on Google. French Min of Ag prohibits issuing PPs to dogs not on the icad system and in France for 3 months.

From Schengenvisainfo.com

"According to the French Agriculture Ministry, pets that previously had an EU pet passport issued in the United Kingdom must have been registered by the owner with French pet register Identification, the des Carnivores Domestiques (I-CAD). Such registration can be completed after checking the pet at a French vet, provided the animal has a French ID card from the service, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports."

“The veterinarian can only issue a French passport to an animal holding a UK/EU passport issued before January 1, 2021, after checking whether the animal’s identification number has been recorded in the national file. Identification of domestic carnivores (I-CAD) and that an identification card has been issued,” a notice published by I-CAD reads."

"An official from I-CAD also told The Connexion that the new rule applies to new French pet passports of British owners’ animals, who didn’t have an animal pet passport before. In either case, he added that an animal could be registered with I-CAD if the owner proves that they and their animal will be staying in France longer than three months, which is also the maximum time frame for British visitors"
I’ve seen that many times before and in slightly different forms but none of the reports provide any authoritative evidence to back up what they say. The statement on the I-cad website doesn’t make sense if you read it thoroughly, and we have already queried it with them through yodeli in a separate thread.

Although schengenvisainfo.com might sound like an official website, it is no such thing and is as guilty of sloppy reporting as the rest of them. It is nothing to do with the issuing of Schengen visas, nor is it anything to do with the EU or any government agency. See the site’s legal disclaimer below:

5E98E284-E5F9-4A29-B81E-548B8B5E1FF8.png

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I doubt there's any secrecy. I imagine there will have been some edict send down from the French equivalent of APHA stating that pets passports can only be issued to dogs on the French database or some such. Obviously a lot of French vets have got cold feet about issuing PPs to British dogs for some reason.
I'll ask around and see if any of my more internationally connected colleagues can give us a fuller picture.
The ‘secrecy’ aspect is something of a standing joke because whenever we ask for evidence of the actual ‘rules’, ‘directive’, etc from whoever claims we are not allowed to do something, they are never produced.

If you have friends who are vets in France, then we may finally get to the truth of the matter. Thank you. (y)

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
UPDATE:
we had a recommendation for a lovely English speaking vet in Sylves in Portugal. I explained the situation and she was happy to give Tilly a 3 year booster today (happy may be a bit of an exaggeration as she described the whole situation as a pain in the rear end!) As she said, why can't someone look at the passport, then at the rabies documentation, & realise they were issued for the same dog.
As it was the first documented rabies vaccine in the passport, she needed to state that it would only be valid 3 weeks from today which thankfully is OK for us as we aren't planning on going home for about 4 weeks at least. I'm glad we didn't wait until getting to France.
Our next challenge will be to ask the French vet to document the worming etc on both documents just in case, then we should be home & dry........🤞
Final update...
We arrived home yesterday with no issues at the Eurotunnel. The French vet we had seen in Falaise a few days earlier was happy to document her worming treatment on both documents.
Thanks all for you help 🙂

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Sorry Maz, I disagree. If we in the UK were getting instructions from APHA they'd come via an email. And they'd be on the website, either publicly visible or behind a login depending on their nature. They wouldn't be secret but they'd be considered to be confidential, and, on pain of being stopped from acting as an Official Veterinarian, we'd be expected to behave according to their direction.
The evidence based approach to this suggests strongly that French vets have been directed as outlined in the website I referenced.

What to you hope to gain by pursuing this further?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Seems to have made sense to most of the French vets.....
Who have interpreted it to suit their own political leanings, maybe? When yodeli contacted I-cad for us their reply was that British holidaymakers staying less than 3 months did not need I-cad registration in order to obtain a Pet Passport, and that they knew of no law restricting the issue of Pet Passports to French residents.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Who have interpreted it to suit their own political leanings, maybe? When @yodeli contacted I-cad for us their reply was that British holidaymakers staying less than 3 months did not need I-cad registration in order to obtain a Pet Passport, and that they knew of no law restricting the issue of Pet Passports to French residents
Or if there was any confusion, they have interpreted it in a precautionary manner ( but there's really no evidence that French vets are confused).
And we're talking about folks who are not residents of France.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
They can easily do that already - just not in France.
But why not in France? That is what is not clear. There is so much contradiction on the web about what French vets are and are not ‘allowed’ to do. Is asking for official clarification of just what the rules are really so unreasonable? :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back