No Holidays abroad Allowed (4 Viewers)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I wonder how long before we see some travellers start and finish their European tour in Ireland route planner sorted - Holyhead -Dublin -Cherbourg-Benidorm-Roscoff- Cork- Larne- Stranraer 😂🍦
Yep there will always be some Brits who feel the rules don’t apply to them and will look for a loophole to circumvent any restrictions. 🤬🤬

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Complete infringement on civil liberties and human rights. This stasi regime we now live in are chipping away at every part of our lifes policed by a state run militia . Why have we stood aside and allowed this. I hope that they government’s extension of their 6 month Covid legislation is blocked later this week but unfortunately we have an ineffective opposition in Parliament and regional assemblies in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland that are ineffective and just want to play games. I never thought I would ever seen anything so sinister as this in my lifetime

I didn't realise Piers Corbyn had a motorhome and is a member on here!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Truly astounding how some people like to bend the rules
Is it really shocking?
We have funsters who've had 12 months of seeing people disobeying lockdown. Like Larrynwin in post #49
And posters who have had 12 months of seeing good observation of rules in their location. Like Carolyn (post #18).
The Kevenhs are in the rural side of West Berks and have also seen good observation of rules in their location.
We haven't been there in 12 months but the Reading & Tilehurst side of West Berks must be more like Larrynwin's area though - As West Berks did get the highest tiering when we had regional variation.

If you've had 12 month of the "good observation of rules in their location" is it astounding that they'd think they could already be meeting in a pub garden safely?
Or play footie in the park?
etc.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’ve copied some of the comments on here and sent them to my family living in Europe, and asked their thoughts........

First reply.......’Are people mad, can’t they see what’s happening over here’?

2nd from my Daughter-in-Law.....’Wish we were back at home, it’s going in the wrong direction here, and people want to travel over here’?

Sorry, no supporters for travel. Not a scientific way to find out information, but there you go. 🤷‍♂️

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
South African variant this year, what variant will it be next year? Viruses mutate all the time and we'll have to make new vaccines every year.

is this an end to foreign travel and another instance of Health and Safety gone too far? We won't stop the new variants getting here anyway.

According to grommets video the other day, not a single person who has had the vaccine has died.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The way things are going and the way a lot of people are behaving both in the UK and Euroland i very much doubt any Euro travel will be possible this year.
Did someone say that Funster book diary thing is dateless......just as well i suppose.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
South African variant this year, what variant will it be next year? Viruses mutate all the time and we'll have to make new vaccines every year.

is this an end to foreign travel and another instance of Health and Safety gone too far? We won't stop the new variants getting here anyway.

According to grommets video the other day, not a single person who has had the vaccine has died.

Until everyone as the same level of protection no one is really protected. (y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

I think the only vaccine tested in both the UK and South Africa is the Novavax one which is still awaiting approval. It was 90% effective against the UK variants but only 60% in South Africa. Keeping ahead of the variants is going to be a challenge and I think we will be living with some restrictions for a long time yet. Hopefully not too many.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I wonder how long before we see some travellers start and finish their European tour in Ireland route planner sorted - Holyhead -Dublin -Cherbourg-Benidorm-Roscoff- Cork- Larne- Stranraer 😂🍦
Plus a £5000 fine, cost of hotel quarantine on top of the umpteen ferry charges when/if you get back. :p

Just follow the rules - simples.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The data for the vaccines preventing death is good but what people seem to be forgetting is that as yet we don’t have lots of the other data we need. Things like how good it is as preventing spread of infection. Also I don’t really want mild to moderate disease either having come this far because Long Covid doesn’t sound like much fun at all and we don’t know much about it and we certainly don’t know how to treat it.

Let’s try to keep the other variants out, I think it’s highly likely we’ll all need a booster of something a bit different come the Autumn. That’s fine by me, especially if that means we’ve had a nice summer spent enjoying the UK seeing family and friends. I too am longing to see my daughter in Bangladesh but my priority is staying fit and well to do it one day. Lots of us have family overseas.

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have read through all the replies on the thread and and the the varying opinions never surprise me with motorhomefun. My own opinion though it did seem strange seeing it in Print because of all the amazing freedoms we have lived with but most of our lives, but then again we weren't living in a global pandemic.
For ourselves we have no intention of even thinking of going abroad and and whatever we need to do to keep ourselves and everyone else safe is that is what we will do do.
It would be nice to see a bonus in in our economy recovering a little bit through the extra spending in the UK..

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
From the BHF website.

A small study of 2,000 people in South Africa has shown that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offers minimal protection against mild cases of the South African variant.

The study, which was based people of an average age of 31, shows that protection may be as low as 10%. The research wasn’t able to determine whether it protects against serious illness or hospitalisation, because this group of people were at low risk of serious illness. Other research suggests that the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the South African strain. More research is needed in this area.

Oxford University is working on adapting the vaccine to ensure that it protects against this variant, as well as other strains. They have said a ‘booster’ jab could be available by autumn 2021.
I have poo pooed this study after reading it previously. Hopefully your link contains the information
Grand total of 43 people in both groups had the virus
Grand total of 43 didnt go to hospital
Un peer reviewed
I thought the idea of the vaccine was here to prevent us getting worst, prevent hospitlisation.
100% effective against people going to hospital
A non news story.

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
Let's look at another couple of other things which the Gov. might have considered when making this move.

1, It puts massive pressure on the EU, just when they are discussing restricting the export of OUR vaccines from the EU.

In effect we are saying to Spain and Greece and few other Countries which REALLY, REALLY want our tourist dollar, "sorry, but we've had to ban UK tourists this year, it would have been different if we'd been able to finish our vaccine program, but you lads would not give us the vaccine to do that."

2, If tourism from the UK does not happen this summer than a VAST amount of money which would have been spent abroad will be spent in the UK.

Let's say 1m families were looking to go to the EU on holiday and each holiday costs £3000 and they would spend £1500 while on holiday, then £4500 x 1m = £4,500,000,000, which I think is 4.5B? Add on all the other forms of holidaymakers, stag groups, MHs etc etc and I'll bet it's the thick end of £10B which could be available to spend in the UK. Enough to give the Chancellor a few wet dreams there.
You won't be seeing me spending my "Tourist Dollars" here in the UK. Site owners don't deserve my money toooo many of them think they are doing you a favour, and the prices!! A friend has looked at several sites and found a number with drastic increases in there prices from last year, one site in particular an increase of 23% over same time last year. Rip Off Britain comes to mind. If we cannot travel then the M/H stays covered up and then hopefully we will be off early next year with the rest of the 'Snowbirds'

Deleted User
I have poo pooed this study after reading it previously. Hopefully your link contains the information
Un peer reviewed
I thought the idea of the vaccine was here to prevent us getting worst, prevent hospitlisation.
A non news story.
I don't have the knowledge to disagree with you but just thought as it was on the BHF website it would have some truth and credibility

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
The vaccine programme in Europe is sadly and unfortunately in a dire state . Giving rise to more and more countries reporting a possible 3rd wave of the virus ,with hospitals reaching overflow capacity , infection rates going crazy , another wave of strict lockdowns being initiated . Covid variants possibly adding to the mix............Like others I have my thoughts as to the contributing factors causing such a dreadful situation .

Meanwhile in UK , the vaccine programme is hammering on at an astonishingly succesful pace and on track to reach all the age group targets . At present I think the figures are around 54% of adult population having received 1st vaccine and 4% 2nd vaccination. Infections rates dropping , hospitalisations dropping , deaths from / with covid thankfully dropping at quite a rate , the route plan out of lockdown , on track .

Each to their own , we are all in a position to make adult thought out choices . For us..... we had already decided to delay our very much looked forward to Euro trip , via moving it to September. And even that will only go ahead , if the covid figures clearly show the situation is "good to go" . If not we will simply delay our much wanted trip again .

Basically travelling to and from a multi country area which is in lockdown , with possibly multiple border checks , demands for covid test certification ?......... Or stay within UK with a soon to be opening up of travel , holiday venues , social venues etc . With a now very much enhanced chance of not catching covid . For us , ( for the time being ) the latter wins .

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Complete infringement on civil liberties and human rights. This stasi regime we now live in are chipping away at every part of our lifes policed by a state run militia . Why have we stood aside and allowed this. I hope that they government’s extension of their 6 month Covid legislation is blocked later this week but unfortunately we have an ineffective opposition in Parliament and regional assemblies in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland that are ineffective and just want to play games. I never thought I would ever seen anything so sinister as this in my lifetime
I know, absolutely shocking. The regime stop us murdering each other, put speed limits on roads, won’t allow us to burgle houses....where will it all end?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I still see nothing of note to make me consider that my June 20th jaunt to France is in jeopardy.
i see a possibility that it may have to be put off til July.

Having had some time to think about it.
Sandancers has hit the nail on the head.

Pressure being applied to EU for their tourist income
A financial penalty for leaving rather than stopping you leaving (allows us a decision to make if we are wealthy enough to donate to a politicl party) actually gives us more freedom that we currently have.
I still foresee rates in Europe dropping to parity allowing HMG to change their stance.
An awful lot of people will be panicking right now and making commitments to UK holidays.
April 12th will tell us more

In relation to stopping this unknown new variant, which has yet to appear, yet to be classified as "Of concern" yet to be determined the vaccine wont assist.
If that were to occur
Stopping, or preventing people going abroad will not stop the virus getting to these shores, it is likely it will slow it down from getting here, but rest assured, this currently fictitious variant, will make it here whether we go on holiday or not and our response will be ..... Lockdown ?

For all the people who are happy with the change in law and want to stay here to help out HMG and recovery, kudos to you. But given the legal opportunity, without wasting some of my premium bonds savings, i will be out there like a shot, and I see that happening still as I consider this to be a political move designed to keep money in the country.

If I didnt, I wouldnt bother doing the european figures every day !

Time will tell whether I am right or not.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I don't have the knowledge to disagree with you but just thought as it was on the BHF website it would have some truth and credibility
No its true.

Its the headlining that is the concern.

10% only effective at preventing catching it or
100% effective at preventing hospitalisation.

Both are true statements from what I have read.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Patience Grasshoppers
We have yet to see the effect - if any - of the schools reopening.
Let alone any of the other easing of restrictions
Yes, thankfully, the figures are falling - but that's as a result of lockdown from a month ago.
Rates here in Lincolnshire are beginning to rise again. Great concern around Boston & South Holland - twice national average.
Rates also rising elswhere, e.g. Cambridgeshire.
R rate is up although still below one.
Some of this may be school return leading to more community transmission and was expected. Some is still to do with type of work e.g. food & agriculture and low wages with people unable to self isolate from a financial point of view.
We are by no means in the clear yet and still need to be very careful.
Overseas holidays as a norm are a fairly recent trend - I am sure many of us on this forum did not go abroad regularly until well into adult hood. Not going abroad this is not a huge sacrifice. We shall holiday in this country - mainly a number of short stays at CLs or similar sites. I am just looking forward to seeing something different to the road outside our house and being able to see something of my grandchildren. Small pleasures will seem enormous after this last year.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Rates here in Lincolnshire are beginning to rise again. Great concern around Boston & South Holland - twice national average.
Rates also rising elswhere, e.g. Cambridgeshire.
R rate is up although still below one.
Some of this may be school return leading to more community transmission and was expected. Some is still to do with type of work e.g. food & agriculture and low wages with people unable to self isolate from a financial point of view.
We are by no means in the clear yet and still need to be very careful.
Overseas holidays as a norm are a fairly recent trend - I am sure many of us on this forum did not go abroad regularly until well into adult hood. Not going abroad this is not a huge sacrifice. We shall holiday in this country - mainly a number of short stays at CLs or similar sites. I am just looking forward to seeing something different to the road outside our house and being able to see something of my grandchildren. Small pleasures will seem enormous after this last year.

Tim Spector of the Zoe project and Dr John Campbell both agree that the infection rates will be going up for the next few weeks, before they start to drop again. They are not very concerned about that fact. As long as the hospital admissions keep dropping then all is well.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Sorry but I don't see a problem with the restrictions , we have been barred from travelling out of Scotland for months and most people have accepted it .
Not being able to travel abroad for a wee while longer is not a hardship
Apart from those with dying loved ones abroad.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Seems a lot of folks on here are very pro lockdown and harsh restrictions. Maybe because a lot of the demographics on are in a position to do so.

For many of us who need to travel abroad, for legal reasons are not allowed to.

Some folks who risk their lives daily by going to work. Can’t stay at home.

Soft communism I feel.

But Some dare not speak out against restrictions

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Un peer reviewed
A non news story.
If I was told by the experts that they were certain that the vaccine did not stop you from catching Covid BUT it stopped you becoming seriously ill and needing hospital intervention then I would still have been very keen to have it (had it last Sunday:giggle:)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If I was told by the experts that they were certain that the vaccine did not stop you from catching Covid BUT it stopped you becoming seriously ill and needing hospital intervention then I would still have been very keen to have it (had it last Sunday:giggle:)
I think its a gimme that the vaccine will not stop you getting it, it may prevent you getting it.

Otherwise the conversation about being able to pass it on would be completely fruitless as you would never have caught it in the first place.

Hope that helps.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The way its reported here this is to back up the existing restrictions and so should end on May 17th

Any further extension of this would be a gross infringement of our civil rights and I for one would be joining the protests.
That is rediculous. Why not simply forbid all passenger travel and have done with it.
A fine is only appropriate to those getting caught, not those slipping under the radar.
Business's etc can conduct business via Internet video calling services, they don't HAVE to sit round a conference table.

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
The vaccine programme in Europe is sadly and unfortunately in a dire state . Giving rise to more and more countries reporting a possible 3rd wave of the virus ,with hospitals reaching overflow capacity , infection rates going crazy , another wave of strict lockdowns being initiated . Covid variants possibly adding to the mix............Like others I have my thoughts as to the contributing factors causing such a dreadful situation .

Meanwhile in UK , the vaccine programme is hammering on at an astonishingly succesful pace and on track to reach all the age group targets . At present I think the figures are around 54% of adult population having received 1st vaccine and 4% 2nd vaccination. Infections rates dropping , hospitalisations dropping , deaths from / with covid thankfully dropping at quite a rate , the route plan out of lockdown , on track .

Each to their own , we are all in a position to make adult thought out choices . For us..... we had already decided to delay our very much looked forward to Euro trip , via moving it to September. And even that will only go ahead , if the covid figures clearly show the situation is "good to go" . If not we will simply delay our much wanted trip again .

Basically travelling to and from a multi country area which is in lockdown , with possibly multiple border checks , demands for covid test certification ?......... Or stay within UK with a soon to be opening up of travel , holiday venues , social venues etc . With a now very much enhanced chance of not catching covid . For us , ( for the time being ) the latter wins .
I respect your views and opinions completely, however I don't know where you get your information from, probably the BBC scaremongering news service.

We have friends in Spain that are Spanish, the husband's sister is a Doctor. She has said that at her surgery in Nerja she has plenty of supplies of the AZ Vaccine but trying to get the Spanish to come forward is another matter.

As for lockdown 'What Lockdown' they say life is almost as normal with the only restrictions on the numbers allowed in Bars and they must shut by 10.30 pm, no big deal really.

As for COVID raging out of control they ask where because it's not like that around them.

What they need is tourists as the towns are empty other than the Spanish and Ex Pat residents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back