Sanitize Your Bank Notes ? (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
While parked outside a busy local take away chip shop today in Mold { waiting for My partner to bring out our food } I observed a middle aged woman park up and walk towards the chip shop with half a £10 note "hanging out of Her mouth" while she fumbled with Her keys etc
The responsible chip shop has a one way system with only 3 customers allowed at any one time with mask wearing in the shop mandatory.
Who knows where the £10 has been or where it ended up.
Presumably in the chip shop till mingling with the other notes.
Have not used cash since last March, this virus may hasten a cashless society. Money has always been known to be ‘dirty’ it’s probably just more in focus now. Here is some research

Broken Link Removed

Abstract:

Open Access
Money is one of the most frequently passed items in the world. The aim of this study was to ascertain the survival status of bacteria including Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, and Vancomycin- Resistant Enterococci (VRE) on banknotes from different countries and the transmission of bacteria to people who come in contact with the banknotes. The survival rate was highest for the Romanian Leu yielding all three microorganisms used after both three and six hours of drying. Furthermore, the Leu was the only banknote to yield VRE after one day of drying. Other currencies either enabled the survival of Extended-Spectrum Beta-Lactamases (ESBL) and VRE (e.g. Euro), but not of MRSA, or the other way round (e.g. US Dollar). While a variety of factors such as community hygiene levels, people’s behaviour, and antimicrobial resistance rates at community level obviously have influence on the transmission of resistant microorganisms, the type of banknote-paper may be an additional variable to consider.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Worked in Egypt for a few weeks once. Not in the tourist parts. immediately told by the guy who met me off the plane to wash my hands as soon as I touched money. I was the only one in our team of three that stuck to the rules and the only one that never had a dose of Cairo colon blow through.
Since that date I have always been careful to wash hands after every cash contact.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have not withdrawn cash since March last year. Still got the notes in my wallet, All of our purchases since have been done over t'internet or occasionally contactless card or phone. Not been into a supermarket either during that period, groceries and nearly everything else we have needed have been ordered on line. And yes, we do wipe down all of the stuff that gets delivered.

For us it is all about cutting down the odds as much as we possibly can.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Goodness how fear can manipulate behaviours, as has been pointed out packets and letters through the post or courier have the same potential, packets and tins in the supermarket plus rack and shelf surfaces.
Consider the motivation for such fear! Who benefits from no longer having notes in circulation? I suspect not you.
Mind you my Bitcoin is not paper money printed at will, possibly something to do with its value trajectory.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Here's some I did last week.

View attachment 467637

That's cheap.£13 at my nephew's in essex
Is the tarp to stop the neighbours seeing you're loaded or so they don't think you've been printing our own and letting the ink dry? 😄

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Right at the start of all this I went into a local Sainsbury’s, picked up a paper and went to the counter to get cigarettes, went to get a £10 note out of my wallet, couldn’t separate them so automatically touched my fingers to my lips, girl on the counter refused to accept it, I was puzzled until she said you licked your fingers, hadn’t realised I had done it.
What’s a ‘note’?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Not Revolut you can lock them on your phone.
(y) good shout - but WHEN you realise the card is gone you can lock - there's no auto lock ;)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I read through these posts and think... are we getting paranoid.
Yes there is a risk of contamination from a bank note... but come on what is the risk... 1in2 1in200000 1 in !????
What about the mail through letter box or parcels delivered or your hand picked Tesco delivery.
I have never sanitized any of these....lucky or living life???
Oh and don't say you know him or her who has unfortunately secumbed to this awful thing.. I too have relatives who are now buried but I am still here and if you are reading this then you are still here too.!!!
Let's just take what is thrown at us and get on with life. I 😇😇
All parcels and letters are sprayed with thermogel (70%+ alcohol) all shopping is washed in soapy water then sprayed with Milton I suspect that people who suffer with OCD will find all this cleaning is less stressful than those of us that do not have OCD. ( just an observation not being funny).

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
We have 80% Vodka (the best viral sanitizer known) for sale here, so I fill up spray bottles and spray all parcels, shopping and my hands.

I then lick all the parcels, shopping and my hands dry, I then feel liberated, happy and very confident about everything 🥃🍸🍹🍾

However 80% Vodka infused fruits are a must with cornflakes for breakfast 🍎🍐🍌🍊🍇🍓🍒

Do I have a drink problem? I drink I fall over, no problem 😬

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
the state of some of the bank notes you get in Morocco has to be seen to be believed. Especially when you get out in the sticks.
still not as bad as some of the notes we got on a holiday in the Gambia. They looked like a whole village had wiped their arses on them 20 years before and had been through a million people’s sweaty, unwashed hands since.
smelt like it too.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
the state of some of the bank notes you get in Morocco has to be seen to be believed. Especially when you get out in the sticks.
still not as bad as some of the notes we got on a holiday in the Gambia. They looked like a whole village had wiped their arses on them 20 years before and had been through a million people’s sweaty, unwashed hands since.
smelt like it too.
We had exactly the same in Gambia. We were warned before travelling to wash our hands after handling the notes. Some are so blackened with dirt it’s hard to see the value of them.
Don’t you get a lot of them? I changed £100 at one point and the pile of their notes was the size of a house brick.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I read through these posts and think... are we getting paranoid.
Yes there is a risk of contamination from a bank note... but come on what is the risk... 1in2 1in200000 1 in !????
What about the mail through letter box or parcels delivered or your hand picked Tesco delivery.
I have never sanitized any of these....lucky or living life???
Oh and don't say you know him or her who has unfortunately secumbed to this awful thing.. I too have relatives who are now buried but I am still here and if you are reading this then you are still here too.!!!
Let's just take what is thrown at us and get on with life. I 😇😇
Agreed , that’s why my better half sprays antibac on all post before I can be let lose to open it, drives me mad because the envelopes and coverings are going in recycling anyway and I wash my hands straight away 🙀

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
(y) good shout - but WHEN you realise the card is gone you can lock - there's no auto lock ;)
Many people keep them locked until they wish to use them. then relock them .my wife does, drives me mad

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Many people keep them locked until they wish to use them. then relock them .my wife does, drives me mad
One bank I used in the past could give you an electronic card valid for just one purchase. cahoot, iirc. Not sure they still do that. web card?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
That's just daft. Lost wallet and I'd be potless in a couple of taps. I thought being able to spend £45 with literally no security checks was bad enough.

Thankfully most of the time I don't take my cards out and use my phone. My money is nice and secure with finger print recognition technology.
Sorry to revisit this thread but after reading through these posts it prompted me to investigate the possibility of using phone for payments.
HOWEVER CamperJack .. if I am reading and understanding correctly Google Pay is no more secure than a card. It is my understanding that you only need to "wake up" phone (which anybody can do) to make payments up to contactless limit, currently £45 (shortly to be £100) Above that limit you have to "unlock" phone (which only you can do) to make payments.... same as entering pin with card in payment machine.
I of coarse may be Reading this totally wrong.!!!!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sorry to revisit this thread but after reading through these posts it prompted me to investigate the possibility of using phone for payments.
HOWEVER CamperJack .. if I am reading and understanding correctly Google Pay is no more secure than a card. It is my understanding that you only need to "wake up" phone (which anybody can do) to make payments up to contactless limit, currently £45 (shortly to be £100) Above that limit you have to "unlock" phone (which only you can do) to make payments.... same as entering pin with card in payment machine.

I am sure an Android phone would be the same but an iPhone you have to unlock to use it to pay, to me my wallet is glued into my trousers make sure you have shorts with proper pockets or zip/velcro to stop a random pick pocket

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

In order to 'wake up' my phone it either requires my fingerprint or a PIN number - so much 'safer' than a Contactless card

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
In order to 'wake up' my phone it either requires my fingerprint or a PIN number - so much 'safer' than a Contactless card
This may be the confusion .. my phone Samsung appears to "wake up" when you touch the screen which brings the screen to life AND then you can proceed to unlock phone..... HOWEVER Google Pay blurb says you ONLY have to "unlock" phone to pay over the limit.!!!!
That indicates to me you don't have to unlock phone to pay under limit so anybody could use so in effect no safer than card.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
This may be the confusion .. my phone Samsung appears to "wake up" when you touch the screen which brings the screen to life AND then you can proceed to unlock phone..... HOWEVER Google Pay blurb says you ONLY have to "unlock" phone to pay over the limit.!!!!
That indicates to me you don't have to unlock phone to pay under limit so anybody could use so in effect no safer than card.
With iPhone's Apple Pay implementation, you can get to the Apple Pay wallet by a shortcut on the lockscreen, but there is a security check to then use a card to purchase something. A ticket ticket or boarding pass held there is ready to go, iirc.
The Wallet app on an unlocked iPhone has more features available. Like card management or removing old tickets & boarding passes...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
One bank I used in the past could give you an electronic card valid for just one purchase. cahoot, iirc. Not sure they still do that. web card?
Yes Revolut does. I have used them as has my wife.
My wife can't even answer a phone call with 2 different pin numbers being inputted. People have usually rung off by the time that has happened.:giggle:

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
If anyone is concerned about the cash they have and the germs they may contain pm me and I will give you an address to send it to. It will be used in a safe and covid free way I assure you.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

If I hold my phone up to a card reader with the screen alluminated but I haven't yet entered my pin or scanned my finger print nothing happens. It doesn't work.

If I then put my pin in or scan my finger and put the phone to the card reader again it works.

You need to enter your PIN or scan your finger. Otherwise it is not possible to pay with the phone.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I except all the fonts of knowledge... and to be perfecty honest I did think that would be the case.
I just found the instructions on Google Pay to say differently.
Whilst I have your attention does that mean there is no limit £45/£100. In other word can I go in a shop and use phone to pay above that amount by scanning phone as I would with my card and pin.???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back