Sanitize Your Bank Notes ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I except all the fonts of knowledge... and to be perfecty honest I did think that would be the case.
I just found the instructions on Google Pay to say differently.
Whilst I have your attention does that mean there is no limit £45/£100. In other word can I go in a shop and use phone to pay above that amount by scanning phone as I would with my card and pin.???
The limit is set by the card supplier and the shop you are using. The £45 is the minimum limit they can use and is set by the government, but it is up to them as to whether or not it is higher. The government has announced that they will be consulting about increasing the minimum limit to £100 later in the year

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The limit is set by the card supplier and the shop you are using. The £45 is the minimum limit they can use and is set by the government, but it is up to them as to whether or not it is higher. The government has announced that they will be consulting about increasing the minimum limit to £100 later in the year
Thanks peterc10 .. so my bank authorizes my card for example £200 which Tesco also allow through my chip and pin.... does that mean the bank will honour same conditions if I scan my phone.. sorry for appearing to be a numpty but I am struggling to get my head around this new, to me, concept.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

It's £45 with an actual bank card, without pin. That may increase to £100 with an actual bank card, without pin.

(To me that's mind bogglingly stupid!! You could be robbed of a lot of money before you know what's happening!)

With a phone that requires passcode or finger print there isn't a limit set by government. Shops may be able to set a limit though? Although I've never found one.

There isn't a limit in law for phones like there is for a limit for bank cards. A couple of weeks ago I paid almost £600 to my mechanics card reader using my phone and fingerprint.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks peterc10 .. so my bank authorizes my card for example £200 which Tesco also allow through my chip and pin.... does that mean the bank will honour same conditions if I scan my phone.. sorry for appearing to be a numpty but I am struggling to get my head around this new, to me, concept.
No, it is not the same as the chip and pin limit, which will be higher. Both the card provider and the retailer sets a contactless limit they are happy with and the lower of the two is the one that is used for each transaction AFAIK

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I regularly go to the supermarket and use my phone to pay, once I’ve entered my PIN number, amounts from £10 up to over £100, whatever is the card limit I can use it to.
Just the same as putting the card in the machine.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I regularly go to the supermarket and use my phone to pay, once I’ve entered my PIN number, amounts from £10 up to over £100, whatever is the card limit I can use it to.
Just the same as putting the card in the machine.
Thanks guys FOG slowly lifting when you say "enter my pin number" do you mean your card pin number (or your unlock phone pin number) and do you put into card reader when you scan phone or into phone as you scan phone.???.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks guys FOG slowly lifting when you say "enter my pin number" do you mean your card pin number (or your unlock phone pin number) and do you put into card reader when you scan phone or into phone as you scan phone.???.

phone's pass code

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
phone's pass code
Oki doki.. fogs getting thicker again... so I use my thumbprint to open phone.. scan phone.... then still need to enter phones pass code to make a payment in excess of X amount.????

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Oki doki.. fogs getting thicker again... so I use my thumbprint to open phone.. scan phone.... then still need to enter phones pass code to make a payment in excess of X amount.????

All you need to do is unlock it. Passcode OR fingerprint OR facial recognition. However you usually do it, do that.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I scanned my card into wallet on my iPhone, when I single tap the button at the bottom I then have to put in my four digit code to open my phone, however if I double tap the button it brings up my card and the message “pay with card” if I press the message it then comes up with a number keyboard and I enter the four digit pin code for my card I hold it to the pay meter just as you would if you were using it contactless and it then shows a “tick” to show it has worked. It will give me a list if I want of all the payments I have made.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Ok guy ... sorry if this don't work... as I said I am totally out my depth. However I hope this shows my total confusion in this matter regarding use of phones and pins and not needing to unlock phone and therefore anybody could use.
The list does go on to say uk £45
Screenshot_20210304-214425_Google Play services.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-214437_Google Play services.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-214437_Google Play services.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210304-214437_Google Play services.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-214437_Google Play services.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
You don’t need to unlock your phone but the card use will still ask for it’s four digit PIN number, you can’t just use the phone contactless without entering your pin.
It’s actually better than just taking the card out of your wallet and putting it near to the machine.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I read in the Daily Mail today that they are putting the contact card limit up to £100 must be because of the budget 😂😂

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I've just checked my Gpay settings and if you go to 'Contactless setup' there's an option to 'Set screen lock' which means your phone must be unlocked in order to use Contactless payments

If you're still struggling with the tech, get a teenager to help you 🙂

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
You don’t need to unlock your phone but the card use will still ask for it’s four digit PIN number, you can’t just use the phone contactless without entering your pin.
It’s actually better than just taking the card out of your wallet and putting it near to the machine.
Oki doki.. I am now getting really confused over this.
PLEASE clarify what you mean "but card will ask for 4 digit pin number... What pin number.. cashline number or phone open number.
Feck me bring back the good old steam days. SORRY

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Oki doki.. I am now getting really confused over this.
PLEASE clarify what you mean "but card will ask for 4 digit pin number... What pin number.. cashline number or phone open number.
Feck me bring back the good old steam days. SORRY
Have you tried it on your phone?
It might be easier doing the steps than reading about it.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I've just checked my Gpay settings and if you go to 'Contactless setup' there's an option to 'Set screen lock' which means your phone must be unlocked in order to use Contactless payments

If you're still struggling with the tech, get a teenager to

Have you tried it on your phone?
It might be easier doing the steps than reading about it.
REMEMBER days of old when you went swimming in the sea off Blackpool with your nighty swimming suit on instead of your Speedos or bikini ..
Well that's me me with this shit..
Yes kevenh I have thought about it a few times but I have an inherent panic when I get to checkouts and I can't pay....yea I know I am a wooze ..

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
REMEMBER days of old when you went swimming in the sea off Blackpool with your nighty swimming suit on instead of your Speedos or bikini ..
Well that's me me with this shit..
Yes kevenh I have thought about it a few times but I have an inherent panic when I get to checkouts and I can't pay....yea I know I am a wooze ..
😆
Not sure how similar Android phones are.
On the iPhone you can check if you can how to payment cards.

But until you’ve really tried to buy something all you’ve checked is how to unlock pay steps. DO PANIC THEN :rofl:
Also, remember it is contactless. You just need to bring your phone or card to within about a centimetre of the card reader.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Ok, I’ll try again - if I press the button at the bottom of my phone I am asked to put in my 4 digit number to bring my phone to life, which is the normal way to get into the phone.

If I want to use my phone to pay for something I can either open wallet and choose the card or to be quicker I press the button at the bottom of my phone twice in quick succession, it then asks for the card PIN number, when I enter that number I can use the card contactless to whatever limit it has, once held to the machine it comes up with a tick to show the transaction has gone through, it does not stay live so it can’t be used again until I enter the card pin.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How does having to prat around getting your phone out and unlocking it make it quicker than using your bank card? If I know I'm gonna be paying for something contactlessly I just have the card accessible in my pocket and only needs one hand to use.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
How does having to prat around getting your phone out and unlocking it make it quicker than using your bank card? If I know I'm gonna be paying for something contactlessly I just have the card accessible in my pocket and only needs one hand to use.
You wrote the differences. You'd have to prat around with your phone. We can do the phone unlock quickly & easily :rofl:
And then we don't need the preparation step you need of relocating a payment card (y)

And pay for things that are £45.01 and higher ;)
£100.01 later this year.
Do that contactlessly with a card ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You wrote the differences. You'd have to prat around with your phone. We can do the phone unlock quickly & easily :rofl:
And then we don't need the preparation step you need of relocating a payment card (y)

And pay for things that are £45.01 and higher ;)
£100.01 later this year.
Do that contactlessly with a card ;)
No wish to pay for anything over £100 so not an issue for us, we don't even reach £45. Take card out of pocket, place near reader, stick back in pocket, all one handed ... how do you do it one handed with a phone?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Just for one store in London at the mo, but use an app to open a barrier, do your shopping & then walk out when finished. (y)
No card to get ready, or phone to find & access payment apps. :)

Here is how

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I carry my phone all the time, I don’t always carry my wallet.
Last time we were allowed to travel we went up to our static caravan for three days, I realised I had left my wallet at home, but I still had my phone to pay for everything.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
No wish to pay for anything over £100 so not an issue for us, we don't even reach £45. Take card out of pocket, place near reader, stick back in pocket, all one handed ... how do you do it one handed with a phone?
:eek: I find it easy to use a phone one handed.
Take phone out of pocket, while still in that same hand, double tap 'Home', verify the card shown is the one I want to use*, still with the same finger or thumb I used to tap the 'Home' button, hold it on 'Home' to activate payment near card reader.
Put phone in pocket. Grab receipt if it's self service, etc. walk away.

*- it 99% chance will be right as I keep the default one correct - but maybe I want a Debit card rather than Credit card
^^ took 6.7 times longer to write than do ;)

tbf, most people are happy using a phone one handed. I'd find it harder to navigate a specific card out of my wallet - but that's why you've a separate step to get a card ready early ;) :)

edit: clarity

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Very easy, I can operate my phone with one hand, I don’t have to get my wallet out, take the card out in it’s blocker sleeve, take the card out of the sleeve and use it, my phone is a lot faster.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I carry my phone all the time, I don’t always carry my wallet.
Last time we were allowed to travel we went up to our static caravan for three days, I realised I had left my wallet at home, but I still had my phone to pay for everything.
With previous phones I could store cards within the protective cover itself so always had a couple with me, I haven't got a protective cover for my new phone as I rarely go out shopping now! :(

You lot do realise that I'm having a bit of fun with you all don't you? :giggle:

I'm gonna have a look at putting Google Pay on my phone anyway just to be safe and hopefully some day I will actually get to use it! :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well that's solved the issue for me, my phone hasn't got 'NFC' so no contactless payments can't be done with it.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
With previous phones I could store cards within the protective cover itself so always had a couple with me, I haven't got a protective cover for my new phone as I rarely go out shopping now! :(

You lot do realise that I'm having a bit of fun with you all don't you? :giggle:

I'm gonna have a look at putting Google Pay on my phone anyway just to be safe and hopefully some day I will actually get to use it! :rolleyes:
You know it makes sense.
F74E1D10-4C02-4BCA-95B6-8611840A1F5C.png

you'll soon have club cards & event tickets there too (COVID-19 willing for events 🤪)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back