Sanitize Your Bank Notes ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Thanks for all replys Funsters...Jury still out if this is for me or not.
Ease of use,,,or lack of,,, was not my initial concerns but more the possible security aspects over a contactless chip n pin card. 👍👍👍👍

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
most people are happy using a phone one handed.
Only if it isn't in a case .
I went out here a few month back ,got 40 kms away walking dog & realised I had left my wallett at home.
I was ****ing bricks on the way back in case I was stopped without driving licence, proof of ID etc; I was counting the fines in my head.:LOL:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I except all the fonts of knowledge... and to be perfecty honest I did think that would be the case.
I just found the instructions on Google Pay to say differently.
Whilst I have your attention does that mean there is no limit £45/£100. In other word can I go in a shop and use phone to pay above that amount by scanning phone as I would with my card and pin.???
No. The limit is £100.00 per transaction on the phone. Your plastic would need to be used to go over that, so as the PIN number is used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
No. The limit is £100.00 per transaction on the phone. Your plastic would need to be used to go over that, so as the PIN number is used.
Is that a change you've seen?
Google Pay & Apple Pay are more secure than cards & didn't have a limit.
Cards had a £45 limit and recently the budget had a change to £100 announced.
source

And from there re. Phone limit difference v cards:-
Where they {phones & watches} differ from a tap-to-pay credit or debit card is their ability to verify your identity using fingerprint and face scanners – making them more secure. As a result of these extra security precautions, manufacturers like Apple and Google don’t impose a strict limit on the amount of money that can be paid wirelessly. So, you can use in-app and online payments with Apple Pay to purchase goodies with a three-figure price tag, for example.
Oh!! The article does go on to say some stores may apply the budget announced limits to all contact-less payment. But that's a future concern and not wholly effecting Apple & Google payments

edit: that article is a good read for info towards the end of it on security and how banks have added some frequency limits on contact-less cards in case of loss or theft, etc.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
How does having to prat around getting your phone out and unlocking it make it quicker than using your bank card? If I know I'm gonna be paying for something contactlessly I just have the card accessible in my pocket and only needs one hand to use.

I started using my phone when I went to the Lake District for a trip and left my wallet in my coat on its hook at home. 😂

Phoned home and had a family member read the numbers to me and I set up my card on my phone.

I came to realise how much more secure it is. I leave most cards at home now and only carry one that has no contactless facility on the card. That's why I use it. Because it's more secure. I reckon it's faster too, but I use it because it's more secure.

And in times of covid it's great. I haven't touched a card reader since the start of 2020. Even when I paid my mechanic £600. Unlock phone, hold it close, beep and it pops up and tells me how much I spent.

It's brilliant. Started as a necessity because I forgot my wallet. Now I prefer it and often leave my wallet safe at home.

Those cards with £45 contactless have zero security. Soon to be £100. Beep. Money gone. No checks. £100 gone. No thanks.

What are they thinking?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

Nope, I payed my mechanic £600 with my phone a week or so ago...

You can set a limit yourself. If you want to.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Nope, I payed my mechanic £600 with my phone a week or so ago...

You can set a limit yourself. If you want to.
CJ
Are you using Apple Pay? I think the rules are different for Apple Pay and Android. (I’m Android).
I will look into whether I can do as you do.
I feel it’s much safer by phone, with fingerprint and in my case 6 digit passcode.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
CJ
Are you using Apple Pay? I think the rules are different for Apple Pay and Android. (I’m Android).
I will look into whether I can do as you do.
I feel it’s much safer by phone, with fingerprint and in my case 6 digit passcode.

I use Google pay on an Android phone.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Guess what old stupid has just done. Yup, gone to google pay website and you are correct sir, virtually unlimited.
Geoff

CamperJack

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
re. explaining card v phone contactless limit differences, 1:42pm today says "hello" :p )

Oh! And reading back, Feb 20, 2021 is knocking :LOL:

But stores will have the ability to apply their own limits. Not sure why they would put a cap on. Do they pay more to accept payment via contactless compared to chip'n'pin?
Shops did need updates to their card payment machines when the contactless limit was raised to £45 🤔

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Quite a lot of conflicting info on this subject... guessing different phones and providers have different rules and regs....or (dare I say it) some folks are paying by phone without really knowing what their entitlement or limits are.!!!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Quite a lot of conflicting info on this subject... guessing different phones and providers have different rules and regs....or (dare I say it) some folks are paying by phone without really knowing what their entitlement or limits are.!!!
Hopefully not conflicting. Maybe wrong & right. {so maybe the "not knowing bit ;) }
Lets get you sorted by having anything left confusing sorted now ;)

edit: bring in your last point re. "paying by phone without really knowing what their entitlement or limits are"

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Also, rarer, now but if your card provider hasn’t given you a contact less card. Try add it to apple or google pay (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If any Funsters have money in the form of notes, and if they are worried about them having germs on them, may I inform you nice folk that my people will be delighted to launder them for you for a small charge...

JJ :cool:

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Speaking of banknotes- it's £50 ones I don't understand. Well done Bank of England for putting Alan Turing on the next issue, I'm sure the drug dealers and tax dodgers will like it, but for the rest of us what's the point of such a high denomination? Don't think I've ever seen one, let alone needed one.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think there is a standard limit, it seems to vary. Barclays allows up to £300 per transaction but only if the retailer accepts this amount for contactless payments. For amounts between £45 and £300 you also have to enter your pin. However, on my Android phone I have to set the Barclays app as the default payment app - and this has to be done after any software update as these always set Google Pay as the default.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back