Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Anyway this is why I do it

I've never found a campsite or aire as remote peaceful and undisturbed as these.
20170926_075134.jpg
20170924_183209.jpg
20170921_123621.jpg
20180625_150011.jpg
20180602_154930.jpg
20180429_211010.jpg
20180425_112942.jpg
20180326_120318.jpg
20180322_143725.jpg
20180216_184915.jpg
20180130_162748.jpg
20180428_164622.jpg
20180814_151551.jpg
20180711_204018.jpg

And there were many more

I never had Facebook before I left the UK in January...I.had to join it to keep in touch with the many amazing fellow flt's I met on my travels that I now keep in contact with and I have invitations to visit all over Europe.

P.s brownie points if you can guess and name the locations:D

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

I've never found a campsite or aire as remote peaceful and undisturbed as these. View attachment 261428 View attachment 261429 View attachment 261430 View attachment 261431 View attachment 261432 View attachment 261433 View attachment 261434 View attachment 261438 View attachment 261439 View attachment 261440 View attachment 261441 View attachment 261442 View attachment 261443 View attachment 261444

And there were many more

I never had Facebook before I left the UK in January...I.had to join it to keep in touch with the many amazing fellow flt's I met on my travels that I now keep in contact with and I have invitations to visit all over Europe.

Definitely two of them (y)

Tam, you're not my definition of a FLT though.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

I've never found a campsite or aire as remote peaceful and undisturbed as these. View attachment 261428 View attachment 261429 View attachment 261430 View attachment 261431 View attachment 261432 View attachment 261433 View attachment 261434 View attachment 261438 View attachment 261439 View attachment 261440 View attachment 261441 View attachment 261442 View attachment 261443 View attachment 261444

And there were many more

Oh dear, are you in the UK now because your VED is overdue mate ;)

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We also travel to see the countries, but we would rather see areas of it in more detail by bike or on foot rather than driving!
Over the last 4 weeks we have averaged around 75 miles a week on the bikes and around 40 miles a week on foot, these are a bit spurious as most of it has been in the mountains (on 3 Speed Bromptons @jumartoo hehe). Like I said, little time to be in the van:LOL:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
For the record:-
  • I dont wild camp
  • I dont want to EVER go to France or camp on an Aire
  • I dont watch Soaps on telly
  • I dont eat Goosberries
I do however defend to the hilt other people’s right to do any of the above for their enjoyment, as long as they uphold ,without derision,my right not to.
It has become a fine line between “banter” and being derogatory

Let’s just all have some MotorhomeFUN

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
For the record:-
  • I dont wild camp
  • I dont want to EVER go to France or camp on an Aire
  • I dont watch Soaps on telly
  • I dont eat Goosberries
I do however defend to the hilt other people’s right to do any of the above for their enjoyment, as long as they uphold ,without derision,my right not to.
It has become a fine line between “banter” and being derogatory

Let’s just all have some MotorhomeFUN
Can I just be curious and ask if you've ever tried doing those things?
Not being derogatory I just always wonder when folk are dead set against something they haven't tried.

I usually try everything and anything at least twice before deciding if I dont like it or not.

But I've a curious adventurous and often reckless attitude :p

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We also travel to see the countries, but we would rather see areas of it in more detail by bike or on foot rather than driving!
I think you generalise to much.

Amongst the FLT (Free Loading Traveller, thanks @Sundowners) some move on everyday, some don't, some sit outside their vans all day, some explore on bikes or walking, some visit sights and tourist attractions and some don't.

You being a SLT, (Site Loving Traveller) there you have a lable now too - can do all of the above as well, or not.

You said in your OP that you didn't want to hear about 'My way is best ' but continue to argue that your way is best. :doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Thanks Pia for the info re Camping-Car Parks. Hadn't heard of it so looked it up and added it to our list.
BROKEN LINK
Steph

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
RIGHT THEN! LISTEN UP EVERYONE!

I wonder if we could settle on a nicer and more accurate label for FLT’s?

We don’t particularly like campsites (or the price that often goes with them) but we do like to travel,we respect other people’s views and we don’t ‘freeload’ ........ we pay our way as required.

In NZ the type of motorhoming we do is labelled ‘Freedom Camping’ ......... much nicer I think :) and devoid of the bias that FLT places upon us.

Just a thought ............ :)

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
When we did our jaunts off to France it was always about saving money, we are not on unlimited funds so we stopped on aires everywhere we stopped, the last trip we did for three weeks cost us about 50 euros in aires we used the Aires de Service Camping Cars which we bought in L’Eclerc(y)(y)(y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
RIGHT THEN! LISTEN UP EVERYONE!

I wonder if we could settle on a nicer and more accurate label for FLT’s?

We don’t particularly like campsites (or the price that often goes with them) but we do like to travel,we respect other people’s views and we don’t ‘freeload’ ........ we pay our way as required.

In NZ the type of motorhoming we do is labelled ‘Freedom Camping’ ......... much nicer I think :) and devoid of the bias that FLT places upon us.

Just a thought ............ :)

Freedom Campers.... mmmm FC's..... yes, sounds OK... except that when it is written as an acronym it could also be used as yet another derogatory term! :LOL:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Freedom Campers.... mmmm FC's..... yes, sounds OK... except that when it is written as an acronym it could also be used as yet another derogatory term! :LOL:

Yep, unfortunately I've met a few FCs....................

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
A view from a brand new disciple of motor homes.

With the danger of raising a few hackles..........

As brand new camping car owners we have spent the last 5 weeks touring around various countries. Before the grand tour we took Claude the camping car for a test night to a site at Gruisson on the south coast of France near to where we live. We paid only 5 € (or maybe 10 €, I can't remember which), to park for the night. There was no electricity etc but there was a toilet block, showers and a waste area, none of which we needed to use.

The site is very well located and clean. It was absolutely hell in every way! Noise, noise, noise. The camper van next door to us was German who had met up with some French friends. I have never heard four people shout so loudly when telling stories. An afternoon siesta after our celebratory lunch was out of the question.

I know that all you advocates of using camp sites (and there appears to be a very large number of you) will tell me that normally all is peaceful and quiet. We hated the whole environment, sorry. We are very social people, running a restaurant you have to be but we did not enjoy the experience and have zero intention of ever using a site again and we did not do so on the subsequent 5 week tour, and do not plan to when we return to the UK this week. Sorry.

When we toured through Italy
Night 1. We parked in a car park in front of a restaurant where we ate
Night 2. We parked on an industrial estate.
Night 3. In a general parking area for all vehicles near to the beach.

In Greece we tended to park in much wilder places but normally within walking distance of a restaurant. We did on 2 occasions park in wilderness down tracks but we did not even see anybody on those nights and we only stopped once for more than one night even when parked in car parks.

To sum up, we are not avoiding campsites to save money in any way. We don't skimp and we are not mean. I don't think we caused any problems for anybody on our travels in any way.

I do feel however that a Forum like this where there are obviously two very different viewpoints would be wise to avoid awful terms like FLT. I think anybody who has to use derogatory terms in order to make a point has a very weak argument to start with. I certainly do not disrespect anybody's decision to stay on a campsite, it is simply not for us.

I do hope that we will see less use of such terms when discussing general subjects. As far as I am aware this site is about the exchange of information, assistance and most of all enjoyment. There will always be little tin pot people of all persuasions and on both sides of the argument who have to much time on their hands and like to have a rant but I do hope that it can stay polite.

Am I wrong?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I know that all you advocates of using camp sites (and there appears to be a very large number of you) will tell me that normally all is peaceful and quiet. We hated the whole environment, sorry. We are very social people, running a restaurant you have to be but we did not enjoy the experience and have zero intention of ever using a site again and we did not do so on the subsequent 5 week tour, and do not plan to when we return to the UK this week. Sorry.

To sum up, we are not avoiding campsites to save money in any way. We don't skimp and we are not mean. I don't think we caused any problems for anybody on our travels in any way.

I do feel however that a Forum like this where there are obviously two very different viewpoints would be wise to avoid awful terms like FLT. I think anybody who has to use derogatory terms in order to make a point has a very weak argument to start with. I certainly do not disrespect anybody's decision to stay on a campsite, it is simply not for us.

I do hope that we will see less use of such terms when discussing general subjects. As far as I am aware this site is about the exchange of information, assistance and most of all enjoyment. There will always be little tin pot people of all persuasions and on both sides of the argument who have to much time on their hands and like to have a rant but I do hope that it can stay polite.

Am I wrong?

No you're not wrong. I think you've written a very eloquent post and I wholeheartedly agree with what you say.

We have exactly the same viewpoint as you... We do not like sites and don't use them... it has absolutely nothing to do with saving money, it is our choice in the way we travel.

Like you I think the term FLT should be abandoned. Folk here have responded to criticism of its use saying that its some form of endearment or they see it as a badge of honour. I see it as divisive and rude and clearly I'm not alone.

Why call us anything - as far as I'm aware there isn't a term for campsite users.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
IMV, too late to change anything .. the FLT tag is well known and understood.. also used as a badge of honour by a few FLTs ..

don't ask me why.. it just is ..

I've always thought of it as off-site camping when it's a truly wild place, or parking when it's on a car park.

My understanding ..
free-loading is taking and never giving, tosser applies to the freeloader who dumps black waste in the bushes or sand dunes. or anywhere he can .. hence FLT..

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I do feel however that a Forum like this where there are obviously two very different viewpoints would be wise to avoid awful terms like FLT.

Is it a good idea to join a (very successful) Forum and start to advise it to make changes almost straight away? :whistle:

I like Fun the way it is now...

JJ :cool:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
IMV, too late to change anything .. the FLT tag is well known and understood.. also used as a badge of honour by a few FLTs ..

Not difficult if the owner of the forum says to stop using it.

I've seen people being referred to the rule which says something like 'be nice to each other' - I've also seen people banned for not following the rule.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
To be honest i like the phrase FLT freeloader traveller, but we must all remember that out there in the real world there are some FLT (freeloading tossers) who will always abuse the system and spoil it for the rest of us. I would like to think by being clean and tidy and not aduseing the system we are giving a little back. I would also add I have never had any problem with locals, or the police asking me to move on in fact some have told me where I can park I have served than coffee and ginger nuts which many have never had. Sorry rambling on again ttfn.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
To be honest i like the phrase FLT freeloader traveller, but we must all remember that out there in the real world there are some FLT (freeloading tossers) who will always abuse the system and spoil it for the rest of us. I would like to think by being clean and tidy and not aduseing the system we are giving a little back. I would also add I have never had any problem with locals, or the police asking me to move on in fact some have told me where I can park I have served than coffee and ginger nuts which many have never had. Sorry rambling on again ttfn.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:
Nail on head
There are many SLT Site loving travellers and also SLT Site loving tossers as well

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

The definition of a freeloader is.... 'a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return'.

Do you really want to be known as a freeloading traveller?

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Can I just be curious and ask if you've ever tried doing those things?
Not being derogatory I just always wonder when folk are dead set against something they haven't tried.

I usually try everything and anything at least twice before deciding if I dont like it or not.

But I've a curious adventurous and often reckless attitude :p
Like I said, I defend your “curiosity” to the hilt :D

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Is it a good idea to join a (very successful) Forum and start to advise it to make changes almost straight away? :whistle:

I like Fun the way it is now...

JJ :cool:
I am so sorry. I misunderstood and did not realise that there was a probationary period before new members should express opinions.

Please let me know how long you would like me to wait before I am allowed to make any further comments?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back