Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Not if you then drive back to the middle of nowhere once you are filled up .................. after all motorhomes are designed to be driven.

They are indeed and we've covered thousands of miles. However, I don't think you have any concept of being out in the middle of nowhere if you think you can drive, fill up then go back again.

Jul 29, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530 Flash
Exp
Camping Caravanning and Motorhoming for 40yrs, last 2 Motorhoming
I’m gonna fit a desalination plant so I can stay at the beach........:rofl:
We’ll have to meet up I’m thinking of towing a JCB and installing heat pumps in unsuspecting farmers fields.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well, we've just had three free nights. Totally different locations.

IMG_20181016_170252.jpg
IMG_20181015_171433.jpg
IMG_20181014_122640.jpg

Travelling from northern Spain back to home in Totana. Pulled up, explored, ate, slept and drove off the next morning. No bother to anyone and no-one bothered us!!!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
How can you not know why it's taken personally?

You've quoted a long message from Tam telling you exactly why folk get annoyed at being called FLT's.
Yes ok. I would like to make the point that although I asked a question, I personally have never criticised anyone on any thread for their choice of where they stay or how they tour.
With hindsight being a wonderful thing, I would have set the question completely differently.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes ok. I would like to make the point that although I asked a question, I personally have never criticised anyone on any thread for their choice of where they stay or how they tour.
With hindsight being a wonderful thing, I would have set the question completely differently.
Don't beat yourself up about it. It seems to me that some of the arguments on either side went OTT. And a few people on here can start an argument in an empty room.

I suspect your experiences with Aires was not typical. With many of them you can sit outside and enjoy yourselves, and we often do. However extending an awning all the way is often difficult, but the same can be said of many of the smaller pitches in popular campsites in France and Spain. But, as can be seen from the many photos, stopping in "unofficial" places in most of Europe is easy and very rewarding.

But at the end of the day it is simply down to choice. There is no need for anybody to be forced to justify why they use their motorhome in the way that they do.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hey Jasz,
I just re read your original opening post. Whilst it was certainly not a criticism I would suggest that your list was rather inflammatory and accusational. Your ‘choices’ did not paint a positive picture but in fact we’re a little derogatory. I am sure this was not intentional but is likely to be perceived this way.

Anyway, it has been an interesting thread but hopefully it will burn out now and we can all move on.

Cheers

Grahame

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did I hear someone speaking in the empty room next door???? :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Another stupid sensationalist story

They arrive late at night ( when no one is using car park )
They leave early morning ( before anyone using carpark )

Yet they are blocking the view of the sea ( in the feckin dark )

I'll almost bet the toilets are locked at night
And I don't know many carparks with electricity

Another councillor talking bollocks

And another campsite mentioned losing trade .....same old same old.

I'm surprised there's no mention of waste being dumped but give it time.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Article says locals pay for parking - council website says otherwise, free parking for all.
https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/car-parks-oban-lorn-and-isles

I can't see the problem - leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photographs.
The council could always introduce a fee for overnight parking and recoup there costs, I'm sure some would happily pay (myself included).

What are the alternatives? Arrive at the c&cc site (but not too late) and pay up to £40+ for the privilege. Wait two hours for the gates to open for a not so early departure. Other campsites marginally cheaper.
A quick google also suggest that most (if not all) are now closed for the winter season.

As to using the toilet facilities, it's not just motorhomers taking advantage.
Folk washing beach/water equipment, cyclists and dog walkers filling bottles/bowls, all types taking electricity for a quick phone charge -where do you draw the line?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Another stupid sensationalist story

They arrive late at night ( when no one is using car park )
They leave early morning ( before anyone using carpark )

Yet they are blocking the view of the sea ( in the feckin dark )

I'll almost bet the toilets are locked at night
And I don't know many carparks with electricity

Another councillor talking bollocks

And another campsite mentioned losing trade .....same old same old.

I'm surprised there's no mention of waste being dumped but give it time.

Oh well yep I’m a guilty one here but can tell you when we parked there at Hogmanay 3 yrs ago the electric wasn’t on. I know cos I tried it. Like you say Tam it’s not as if your blocking a view or taking up valuable spaces.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oh well yep I’m a guilty one here but can tell you when we parked there at Hogmanay 3 yrs ago the electric wasn’t on. I know cos I tried it. Like you say Tam it’s not as if your blocking a view or taking up valuable spaces.
Yep as usual it's the campsite owners

I've had the pleasure ( not ) of meeting that pair of charmers who run to roseview caravan park ...my sister and mum stayed on that site a couple of years ago when we were heading to mull. I had went in to visit them and had the warden cone chap at the door of my sister's MH 3 times in the space of an hour asking when I was leaving.

Claimed I was using his facilities by sitting in my sister's MH for an hour having a coffee and a chat to my mum.

Later in the evening when I left and was parked up in a carpark a mile up the road I had him and his charming wife swearing at me and accusing me of trying to make use of their facilities buy not staying on the site.
Totally unfounded of course but they made out I was visiting my sister and mum so I could use the shower block etc.
I left them a lovely review on TripAdvisor as did my sister as she had paid over £30 for a night there and got nothing but hassle from the guy because I was sat in her van for an hour.
That's the kind of prison warden attitude that makes me dislike sites... they always act like paranoid idiots.

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
A free loading Tosser is someone who finds a nice place were it is free and legal to stop, but takes the pee and to the detriment of everyone, stays as long as he/she can. Why do you think there is anyone here who can answer your questions?

According to the dictionary
A freeloader is a person who takes advantage of others generosity without giving anything in return.

Tosser is a foolish, despicable or obnoxious person.

I don't believe the above describes any funsters on this forum, and if used, it's a light hearted piss take. I say use your motorhome the way it suits you. there is no right or wrong :D

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
RIGHT THEN! LISTEN UP EVERYONE!

I wonder if we could settle on a nicer and more accurate label for FLT’s?

We don’t particularly like campsites (or the price that often goes with them) but we do like to travel,we respect other people’s views and we don’t ‘freeload’ ........ we pay our way as required.

In NZ the type of motorhoming we do is labelled ‘Freedom Camping’ ......... much nicer I think :) and devoid of the bias that FLT places upon us.

Just a thought ............ :)

FLC - Freedom Loving Camper

CLC - Campsite Loving Camper

ALC - Aires Loving Camper

CPC - Car Park Camper - c'mon can't use "loving" - surely no one actually LOVES car parks - do they??

Sorted!!! :)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We went over west coast at the weekend and stayed at Knockan Crag, we stopped off in Ullapool to do some shopping. We noticed most cafes and camp site are now closed till Spring.

Are we freeloaders ?? I don't think so, as for the next 4 or 5 months what are we supposed to do ? put our van in storage ?

Aye, right, we'll use it and stay anywhere we can up here in the Highlands, and when we've stopped for a night you would be hard pressed to know we'd been there.

Unlike some of the places I've seen whilst out on my bike for a Sunday ride. Litter and rubbish bags, shit and tissue paper strewn around, I could post pictures but what good would that do ?

Whilst out we only saw 2 motorhomes over the Saturday/Sunday we covered about 140 miles, 1 a Dutch couple stayed on same carpark at Knockan Crag that we stopped overnight at. They stayed on sites if they found one open but mainly free camped, but that's the Highlands for you.

It'll be quiet now for a few months till it all kicks off again in Spring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back