LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I thought the term FLT was created on here as an affectionate pee take of JJ, not meant as an insult! That's how I remember it anyhow.

What amuses me is that people have to label someone, if you haven't got a label do you exist?

We stop on sites, we stop in the middle of nowhere, we also stop with the hordes on beach fronts, we stop on aires and camperstops, restaurant carparks or anywhere else that seems safe and suitable.

What label should we be given?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I thought the term FLT was created on here as an affectionate pee take of JJ, not meant as an insult! That's how I remember it anyhow.

What amuses me is that people have to label someone, if you haven't got a label do you exist?

We stop on sites, we stop in the middle of nowhere, we also stop with the hordes on beach fronts, we stop on aires and camperstops, restaurant carparks or anywhere else that seems safe and suitable.

What label should we be given?

Really wanna know???
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Screenshot_20181013-180343.png

Making no comment as I'll be on the first bus

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I agree. As I said earlier on I felt really upset and, if I'm honest, angry at being called a tosser.

I don't believe it is just used to describe anti-social behaviour. It may have started that way but over time I think its become the norm by some on this forum to describe those who, for whatever reason, don't want to stay on sites.

It is divisive and unnecessarily rude.
As I said at the start, I did not want this to become contentious. I would not use the 3 word example for anyone and had taken the shortened form to mean anyone who didn't want to pay for sites - not for people who overstayed at a wild spot. Unfortunately I have left it a bit too long to check this thread out and am only half way through now.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As I said at the start, I did not want this to become contentious. I would not use the 3 word example for anyone and had taken the shortened form to mean anyone who didn't want to pay for sites
But you called it them anyway.. And you didn't find that contentious? :D :doh:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Really...

I haven't found this to be the case. ;)

JJ :cool:
JJ, I have no doubt that you could set the Standard by which Motorhomers that wish to park wild should follow and our MH world would be a better place,however, we can’t all go through life thinking only of ourselves without consideration for everything and everyone around us, obviously you personally show due care for this but many don’t.
I personally wild, use Aires, Camper stops,etc and occasionally Sites and spend upwards of 200 nights a year in my MH but I do see lots of fabulous spots lost because of the hoards of people now looking in the majority for coastal parking spots that offer local facilities but free camping.
Below is an interesting post from a thread I found.

“My wife and I are both ex moterhomers who enjoyed happy times for with our fellow travellers, (no mater what nationality) wildcamping in Spain and the Algarve for almost 15 years, however we decided to stop coming in our moterhome two years ago because of the vast amount of moterhomes that now descend on these shores for the winter and the problems they bring.
Many years ago wild camping was generally accepted within reason as so few vans were here and most moterhomers respected the portugese people aand their way of life. Now there are big problems with so many and what we have witnessed is beyond belief. They are constatnty fighting with each other for any free spaces to park in the public car parks, streets, waste ground or any other place where they do not have to pay. Every moterhome needs water, which most want for free and will steal, every moterhome needs to empty their cassette chemical toilet on average every two days which many will just dump in the sea, rivers, by the side of the road or any waste ground that might be on hand.
I can catergorically say that 95% of moterhomers that come to Portugal for the winter do NOT spend any money giving to local bars, resturants or shops other than Lidl ,Aldi and the gas station who are the main benificiarys, and the biggest culprit's are the French, Dutch and Germans. The normal routine for the 95% is to shop at Lidl & Aldi the to cook and eat in their campers washed down witnsome cheap wine and beer.”

Unfortunately in my opinion this is becoming the norm and I find it difficult to believe you haven’t witnessed any of this,however,I and you and people like us will continue doing what we do as we go on our travels setting an example to the minority that only care for their own selfish needs.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
1. Not at all, many FLT visit some great places, i.e.Cordoba which is free and legal to park for motorhomes. This is one example of many.
2.You need to get out and explore a bit more me thinks. What makes you think all FLT stay in car parks during the day.
3. We all need facilities and many of the free stop overs have them available for free. Occasionally we will go onto a campsite and use their facilities.i.e. washing machines etc., etc., Money saved by not staying on campsites can be redirected to museums, restaurants, day trips etc and it's a considerable saving. If you want to stay on a campsite all the time, get a caravan. A motorhome is a mobile home.
4. Don't know. The UK is crap for motor-homes so we spend almost all of our motor-homing abroad.

Long Live the FLT's I'm one and proud of it.
Free loading, and FLT are not one and the same Phil, however, if you wish to be know as a tosser, who am I to dare disagree my little pixi!o_O

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Despite the title, this is not meant to be a contentious thread and I hope it doesn't turn into a "My way is best thread" (some hope!). I am just interested and judging by many posts on other threads, other people would also be.
We have just spent a month touring France. We stayed on 6 free Aires, some we had to pay for and some sites (starting from as little as 10 Euros). Although the free Aires were fine for a night and well positioned to see where we were staying, they were not really suited to staying for more than 1 night, especially as it was hot and we didn't want to stay in the van! All the nicest places we stayed at, we had to pay for but we could happily have a BBQ dinner outside which was much more pleasant.
I have followed @Northernraider on his travels and fully understand why he would want to keep his costs to a minimum as he is effectively full timing , especially as he is planning to follow it up with another long trip.
1) Do FLT's avoid many of the nicest places to visit just to save a few £'s or Euros?
2) Are they happy sitting in car parks during the day (even if they are not tarmac), or do they move on every day?
3) Trying to avoid the usual "I don't need facilities so I don't see why I should pay for them" Why are you a FLT?
4) In England do you have to move on every day (Britstops etc.)?

I’ll throw some questions back at you.

Why would anyone spend a lot of money on a self contained vehicle and the restrict themselves to campsites?

If you want to voluntarily restrict yourself in that manner surely a car and caravan outfit would be a far more sensible choice?

We never use campsites and I’d suggest we see and stay at many far nicer places than you do.

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
1. Not at all, many FLT visit some great places, i.e.Cordoba which is free and legal to park for motorhomes. This is one example of many.
2.You need to get out and explore a bit more me thinks. What makes you think all FLT stay in car parks during the day.
3. We all need facilities and many of the free stop overs have them available for free. Occasionally we will go onto a campsite and use their facilities.i.e. washing machines etc., etc., Money saved by not staying on campsites can be redirected to museums, restaurants, day trips etc and it's a considerable saving. If you want to stay on a campsite all the time, get a caravan. A motorhome is a mobile home.
4. Don't know. The UK is crap for motor-homes so we spend almost all of our motor-homing abroad.

4 pages in and I've seen about 5 answers to my questions. We don't stay on a site all day but like to stay in one spot for 2 or 3 nights and explore the area before moving on. I just wondered what other people did (n)

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I would hope that to be called a Hooliagn at the age of 67 is a term of endearment, likewise being a Flt I take no offence at all I know what I do and I honestly don't think I have ever offended anyone (execpt a German) not really I do believe in live and let live.
Now who's buying a beer for a Hooligan lol.
I am a funster through and through.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I can catergorically say that 95% of moterhomers that come to Portugal for the winter do NOT spend any money giving to local bars, resturants or shops other than Lidl ,Aldi and the gas station who are the main benificiarys, and the biggest culprit's are the French, Dutch and Germans. The normal routine for the 95% is to shop at Lidl & Aldi the to cook and eat in their campers washed down witnsome cheap wine and beer.”

I suspect, only suspect, that you refer to the Algarve region of Portugal.

I cook and eat in my motorhome most days.

There is no law that says one must spend money in the places one visits...

One of the (many) reasons I love motorhoming is the freedom and independence it offers.

I would also like to point out I always try to support the local Burger Ranch places when ever possible... ;)

JJ :cool:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
4 pages in and I've seen about 5 answers to my questions. We don't stay on a site all day but like to stay in one spot for 2 or 3 nights and explore the area before moving on. I just wondered what other people did (n)

A lot depends on how far / long we have been driving, what is in the area and how we are feeling.

Sometimes we will be in a place only to sleep. other times for a night and part of a day and sometimes for several days.

On our recent trips we have used free aires, full facility campsites and everything in between.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8

Interesting. Why does everyone get so defensive? We were caravanners for nearly 40 years and loved every minute. No one told us how long we should stay anywhere and, in fact, we toured much as we do with our Motorhome now. If anyone wishes to stay in their Motorhome on one site for 3 weeks that is their choice! I hadn’t realised there were rules to comply with or that people got so upset by others way of life!

Do agree that the UK is more suited to caravanning and need to get to grips with making it more Motorhome friendly.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

We do a mix. This summer we left our home in Spain and spent a night on a free camperstop, then a few nights on a campsite cos we wanted to explore the area. More free and pay Camperstops as we were travelling and a few more nights on campsites. We then went to Norway, via the Mosel and Denmark, where we parked up wherever we could go walking or cycling from. The same in Sweden and back into Germany then a campsite in Holland. A CL in the UK, parking at friends houses through France and now on a free official camperstop in northern Spain just for tonight after 7 days of walking on a Camino del Santiago. Where we go from here will be determined by what's open before we return home towards the end of the month.

So for us a mix of campsites, paid Camperstops/Aires, free Camperstops/Aires and some free parking areas.

(See my thread The jumars at 32 ... in Continental travelling if you're interested).

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I’ll throw some questions back at you.

Why would anyone spend a lot of money on a self contained vehicle and the restrict themselves to campsites?

If you want to voluntarily restrict yourself in that manner surely a car and caravan outfit would be a far more sensible choice?

We never use campsites and I’d suggest we see and stay at many far nicer places than you do.
Have the answers for you.
We stay on a campsite for 6 months because we want to but although being 30 ft away from the site toilet block I have never used it in the last 12 years.
No money left for car and caravan.
We use the car to see nice places, unfortunately the view is spoilt by large white vans.

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
IMG_5299.JPG

P1070657.JPG

@NickNic The first picture was taken at a & Euro Aire and the 2nd at a 10 Euro site. We stayed at the first for 4 nights and explored the area (there was plenty to see) and the 2nd for 2 nights.
I'm sorry that some people cannot justify spending these sums due to their circumstances and hope they enjoy the places they stay.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
On our last little jaunt after the Sunshine Festival, we stayed at Camping St. Louis (€17 a night) but very long walk to the local town. 2 nights at Montreuil sur Mer (free Aire) and a few hundred yards to the town), Cayeux (€7 including access to campsite facilities). 2 further nights at Montreuil (lovely town, free Aire) then 2 nights at Bien Assize (€20). That to us was a lovely mix and less than €100 for 10 nights.
I use and always will use a mix of free, pay Aires and occasional Campsites but the latter is only because friends with caravan were there otherwise I'd have made it €91 cheaper

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
There are some sensitive souls around.

FLT is a term that is used in both in an affectionate and in a derogatory manner. The context is usually clear from the remainder of the post.

I guess that most on here are too old to be labelled snowflakes! :giggler:

Ian

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We have stayed on various aire's throughout Europe, mostly free ones but occasionally paid too , love t he freedom to come and go as we please.
In summer we attended a few rallies in France and stayed on first aire for 2 nights free but, spent 80 Euro's in town ! second aire we were at a Scottish 5 day rally on free aire in town alongside approx. another 40 motorhomes and spent 200-250 Euro's on food, drink, entertainment ect Local council supplied bins for rubbish and glass bottles.
So by staying free like most others we spent our cash in town, being going there for 4 years now and love it.
On the other hand last month I did part of the NC500 and found that many of the places had full bins and litter all over the place caused by 2 things, councils not emptying and a small minority leaving all kind of rubbish at there backside !
Have to say a lot of the rubbish came from foreign moho's and by and large their driving on narrow single track roads was nigh on dangerous !!
Why pay when you don't have too ???

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are FLT and proud of it, why because we rarely stay anywhere more than one or two days. Like to be able to park up where are going who wants to do their visiting then have to get in the van and drive back to a site. Screws you if you want to go for a meal with wine or have a few beers.

Sites are far too expensive for our life style, we love free spots but if using a paying Aire we arrive at an at 4pm and leave the next day at 3pm cost say €6 for up to 24 hours. Do that on a site and they charge you for 2 days probably €40 plain stupid and they often charge EHU which don't need or want.

Also I don't like sites surrounded by chicken wire and gates locking you in. Also find people more friendly wilding and on Aires.

Perhaps we should call people who stay on sites SRP ( stupid rich pricks).:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We like to travel, we like to have adventures, we spend very little time in our van during the day. For us the stop is simply a place to stay for the night ready for the next day’s adventure!

With everything on board the van to support us we have no need at all for campsites.

When abroad we use free Aires as much as possible, some are just basic car parks (we’re OK with that), others are well equipped with all facilities.

Other people will prefer campsites and there’s nothing wrong with that. Surely it’s horses for courses, each to his own etc.

We have been away now for 26 nights and only used 1 ‘paid for’ Aire. We do prefer (and seek out) free night stops because it suits us and because for the amount of time we spend away we would run up a small fortune in stopover fees.

Edit: as my wife just pointed out, running up a bill for facilities we would barely utilise!

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back