FLT's - Why? (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Always wondered what the “T” stood for. Had assumed it was a rather more vulgar word of only 4 letters!

p.s. On further thought, isn’t “Tosser” also rather rude, or does it have a more subtle meaning?
Now that is a brilliant question, as in the past I have asked the following: Can you be a freeloader without being a Tosser and can you be a Tosser without being a freeloader and if you can what is the difference between a freeloader and freeloading Tosser......... And....... what exactly is a Tosser with respect to wild camping. I could go on but lets face it who gives a Toss!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
[
It is a very offensive term.

The term 'tosser' has the same meaning as 'Wabbit'.

I got pretty upset at times as I thought people were referring to me in that manner because we don't use sites.

Not in every case..
Members of the UKgser forum are known as Tossers.. Many have the word cut in their oil cooler guard !

Long ( naff ) story how it came about, and originally yes, it was used in a derogatory way... But for years now it is used to denote club membership the same as Funster is used here :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have been on many free Aires and many paid Aires along with lots of wilding. We don’t do many campsites unless they are good VFM as we don’t have a disposable income. Don’t see why @Jasz you feel you can’t leave the van if on a free aire. Your maybe one of the fortunate ones that can afford to choose campsites.

We chose to spend our money on buying a used van and making do. Does it mean we don’t have as much fun as you, I don’t think so.
At the end of the day we all have fun doing whatever suits us in our vans. Take yourself to Scotland and you will see campsites aren’t necessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
So if someone buys a property by the coast they have also purchased the view they may have? If motorhomers or campers want to park LEGALLY and behave sensibly then they are entitled to do so, local residents own their property not everything the eye can see, irrespective of how much they have paid for it.

Its not about a view, its about respecting the local area , and what it has available.

Am i free to park outside your house , whenever i want, without impunity, and live out of my motorhome?

And recommend that others do and can?

This is exactly the root of the problem, the fact that it is LEGAL, is also taken as justification that is acceptable, and in my book it just isnt.

Our 'traveller' friends could also be said to be doing nothing illegal, but they are treated as scum, i would like to know where the line is drawn between the two.

Its like trying to compare living next to someone who has a dog that barks all the time (as we do) , or having loads of different people deciding to come and let their dog bark outside your house. The result is the same, and ultimately , people get pissed off and take action. I dont blame them in the slightest.

I you want to stay , you should be prepared to pay.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for the explicit explanation!!!!!

You're welcome! :D

If people are going to use offensive terms to describe others then I think it only reasonable to expect that they understand what it is they're calling them.

I for one think its a vile expression.

I don't understand why, on the one hand, folk here use asterisks or symbols to fill in the 'missing letters' yet it seems perfectly OK to call someone a freeloading tosser... even if its written as an acronym - it doesn't make it any less offensive.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Perhaps we should change it to Free Loading Twit :rolleyes: much better.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006

I can't afford to pay. There's no way I could afford campsite fees and have enough left over to feed myself and my dog and put fuel in my tank. Does this mean I should sell my van and give up travelling @PhilG? I do no harm. I stay on aires and designated free camping spots. Occasionally I stay on unofficial spots. I never stay more than two days, I clean up my own and everyone else's rubbish and I leave the place better than when I left.

There's a horrible atmosphere of 'them and us' developing on this site. It makes me feel quite uncomfortable at times. The judgement that goes on and that seems to be increasing in venom is not an atmosphere I'm happy to be around. This must be the third or fourth thread that I've seen on here recently. All saying the same thing, over and over. All causing division between members. It's not particularly nice to read to be honest.

And I resent being called a 'Free Loading Tosser'. I'm comparatively poor but I do my best. I share food with others and I help where I can. If I had a friend in my life who was prepared to call me that to my face I'd dump them. So yes, I find it extremely insulting and judgemental and not representative of the site that i thought I once knew and felt supported by.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
It is a derogatory term, first coined here. But specifically at "Tossers" and certainly not 'generically' at people who prefer not to use campsites

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/wild-camping-not.28340/

Jim as a derogatory term which you say seems to have originated on our forum, could the term not be banned and a new term be found and used for people who like chesterfield hooligan, myself and many others who have good and valid reasons for not using campsites? I do not like being referred to as a Tosser, in any form and have been banned from Funsters for using far less derogatory terms than this.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Jim as a derogatory term which you say seems to have originated on our forum, could the term not be banned and a new term be found and used for people who like chesterfield hooligan, myself and many others who have good and valid reasons for not using campsites? I do not like being referred to as a Tosser, in any form and have been banned from Funsters for using far less derogatory terms than this.

Wild campers?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I don't think the government could stop members on here using the term FLT so Jim has no chance. Ignore them as I do. These people will always find something to whine about anyway.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I agree. As I said earlier on I felt really upset and, if I'm honest, angry at being called a tosser.

I don't believe it is just used to describe anti-social behaviour. It may have started that way but over time I think its become the norm by some on this forum to describe those who, for whatever reason, don't want to stay on sites.

It is divisive and unnecessarily rude.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
[

Not in every case..
Members of the UKgser forum are known as Tossers.. Many have the word cut in their oil cooler guard !

Long ( naff ) story how it came about, and originally yes, it was used in a derogatory way... But for years now it is used to denote club membership the same as Funster is used here :)

Well, I guess its a motorbike club.

There was and may be still a biker group called the Coggeshall Bastards. Are you saying that neither of these groups know what it is they're calling themselves? They use it for shock factor. They're bass-ass bikers - that's what they want to convey.

Whatever, their reasons for naming themselves the point is that they themselves named their group. They didn't have the name foisted upon them.

We're not talking about the word Funster - we're talking about a section of the membership being called tossers... totally different!

captainscarlett

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Norfolk/Europe
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
10 years
Its not about a view, its about respecting the local area , and what it has available.

Am i free to park outside your house , whenever i want, without impunity, and live out of my motorhome?

And recommend that others do and can?

This is exactly the root of the problem, the fact that it is LEGAL, is also taken as justification that is acceptable, and in my book it just isnt.

Our 'traveller' friends could also be said to be doing nothing illegal, but they are treated as scum, i would like to know where the line is drawn between the two.

Its like trying to compare living next to someone who has a dog that barks all the time (as we do) , or having loads of different people deciding to come and let their dog bark outside your house. The result is the same, and ultimately , people get pissed off and take action. I dont blame them in the slightest.

Dog Barking thread ??

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have expressed my feelings, so this is my last post on a thread that is now creating more heat than light and as a result should be pulled, before more people feel the forum they love is ceasing to be helpful or fun

Why?

The forum people here 'love' is calling a section of the membership tossers. How is that helpful?

I think this matter should be brought to people's attention and stopped.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I don't take the comment to heart. In fact I sometimes post myself that we're being FLTs when we're parked up in some obscure spot.

Parking free isn't being a FLT, it's the one's who over stay a reasonable time, dump rubbish of all kinds wherever they want and don't give a "hoot" about others that are the culprits.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So if someone buys a property by the coast they have also purchased the view they may have? If motorhomers or campers want to park LEGALLY and behave sensibly then they are entitled to do so, local residents own their property not everything the eye can see, irrespective of how much they have paid for it.

In the UK I believe that they do have a right. They certainly fight any attempt to obstruct/build /block the view & it does have an effect on the house price.
Whereas here , nothing . You have no right whatsoever.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't take the comment to heart. In fact I sometimes post myself that we're being FLTs when we're parked up in some obscure spot.

Parking free isn't being a FLT, it's the one's who over stay a reasonable time, dump rubbish of all kinds wherever they want and don't give a "hoot" about others that are the culprits.
Neither do I.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
View attachment 261293 We you may class as FLT as it is simply cost we don't have much money but we would never ever abuse anywhere we stay, always clean up other people's rubish where we can. We tend to move around and found some super places to stay. We cannot even afford a motorhome so we are in a seif converted van as pensioners it suits us and have met lots of interesting people of all nationalities. We don't paticaly want to sit in the same place for a month or more, and to go onto a campsite for a couple of days at a time is cost prohibitive for us.
This morning we have watched a Portuguese sea fishing match very interesting and we are not bothering anyone along the above river, so all I can say long live FLT.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

And bloody fair play to you hope you have many years of safe happy travels

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I can't afford to pay. There's no way I could afford campsite fees and have enough left over to feed myself and my dog and put fuel in my tank. Does this mean I should sell my van and give up travelling @PhilG? I do no harm. I stay on aires and designated free camping spots. Occasionally I stay on unofficial spots. I never stay more than two days, I clean up my own and everyone else's rubbish and I leave the place better than when I left.

There's a horrible atmosphere of 'them and us' developing on this site. It makes me feel quite uncomfortable at times. The judgement that goes on and that seems to be increasing in venom is not an atmosphere I'm happy to be around. This must be the third or fourth thread that I've seen on here recently. All saying the same thing, over and over. All causing division between members. It's not particularly nice to read to be honest.

And I resent being called a 'Free Loading Tosser'. I'm comparatively poor but I do my best. I share food with others and I help where I can. If I had a friend in my life who was prepared to call me that to my face I'd dump them. So yes, I find it extremely insulting and judgemental and not representative of the site that i thought I once knew and felt supported by.

Firstly, my post was a direct response to the post i quoted, so please dont read it and think it was aimed directly at you. It wasnt .

I think , from your profile pic, its fair to say that you could be more accurately described as a Nomad ( and i mean that in a nice way), who lives on the road as a life choice, in a very minimalist way, and have the respect for what you are doing and where you do it. I get that and am slightly envious.

However, i think that there is an increase in those that dont have the right attitude, and do things just because they can, without thinking if they should. And they are the folk that are getting us a bad name all over the place.

We are getting a collective bad name , because of the actions of a few, who are on the increase.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
In the UK I believe that they do have a right. They certainly fight any attempt to obstruct/build /block the view & it does have an effect on the house price.
Whereas here , nothing . You have no right whatsoever.

You don't have a right to a view.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is a very offensive term.

The term 'tosser' has the same meaning as 'Wabbit'.

I got pretty upset at times as I thought people were referring to me in that manner because we don't use sites.

It doesn't worry me at all...

I laugh myself silly when I read all the bollocks posted about FLT's by holidaying campsite motorhomers.

Some seem to think the only place to dump their poo etc is at campsites.

Some seem to think the "locals" don't like motorhomers.

Some seem to think if you are not paying at a campsite you have to sit inside your van all the time.

I don't have any problems on these fronts at all after living in my motorhome for decades.

Never bothered anyone and never been moved on...

I am a FLT and PROUD of it.

Each to their own.

JJ :cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I consider the term Free Loading Tosser as used on Fun as a badge of honour.

Most folk on here use it affectionately.

I don't mind those who don't... I am not going to bump into them on their campsites!

Ban the term FLT and I leave...

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning

I don't mind those who don't... I am not going to bump into them on their campsites!

You have basically said what I was going to type but I am no good with the written word .But basicly FLT is almost a term of endearment in my opinion. As long as I'm in my van I'm happy whether it's a free spot or expensive spot. Mind those expensive 5 star campsites hate me digging holes to empty my cassette.

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

images (20).jpg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

JJ, you, you FLT ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back