WTF! Is wrong with the French!?! (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If using any public toilets I put a layer of toilet paper down on the seat first, so do the same thing on the seatless French toilets. And make sure I have wet wipe tissues also in case the hand washing facilities are not working !!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We just arrived at a Yelloh Village campsite near LaRochelle France.

Stayed here last year and while the campsite is flawless for a mixed site with Motorhomes Caravans and rentalble units as well as the very impressive pool complex and other entertainment the only gripe was the shower and toilet blocks were very sub par based on Caravan & Motorhome Club sites.

Well we are in a rented unit (bit like a static caravan) this time as it was easier with the 9 month old. But had a thoroughly enjoyable trip down in the MH over 4 nights and the 3.5 year old has really taken to her top bunk bed now to make way for the baby in be bottom.

Anyway we heard on arrival that the toilets and shower blocks have been demolished and replaced with new shiny modern ones so I went for a nosey.

Very impressive showers. Same for the brush your teeth and shave cubicals. Baby change also fantastic and even private urinal cubicals! Great for those that get stage fright.

But the actual toilets! WTF!!!!!!
Nice cubicals. Clean as a whistle. BUT NO toilet seat!!!!!!!!! Again WTF!

Not even a disposable cover or any drilled holes in the porcelain to mount a proper one. Just a crisp white base to hover over and get some good quad muscle exercise.

I mean as a fit 39 year old I can do that. But what if your slightly more senior. Or have a medical condition? Your expected to sit on the porcelain in cold discomfort?

I ask you again. WTF is wrong with the French?

p.s the toilet in our private unit/static what ever it is has a toilet seat?

WTF?
They are more hygienic like that..I am an unfit 73 year old but have no bother with them.Bit difficult for kids or if you are a rabbit arse..Busby

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If using any public toilets I put a layer of toilet paper down on the seat first, so do the same thing on the seatless French toilets. And make sure I have wet wipe tissues also in case the hand washing facilities are not working !!
Wet wipes are the biggest cause of blockages in sewer pipes..They are to be banned in the form they are now made..Busby.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
You're there for a sh!t, not an afternoon in the sun.
Sit on the bloody porcelain, it's obviously designed to be seatless to save on maintenance and repair..
Good one

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
A814E2D2-73A3-440B-B964-D66F673E4FC9.jpeg
If it really fusses you then put toilet paper on it before you touch down.

Or

Use these......... :gum: :doh: :rofl:

Well, glad to see they’re new and not second hand :LOL:

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just out of interest,, are the ladies loos the same? No seat?

They are uni sex blocks now as every unit has a lockable door

They are really really nice except for the missing seat.

Thing is the restaurant and bar communal toilets have seats. As does our rental unit. It’s just the Motorhome blocks that don’t.......... I really don’t get it.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we stayed there two years ago great place for kids most of france doesnt have seats it part of the being abroad thing

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Far more hygienic, easier to clean, less maintenance costs and safer.. personally would prefer that in a public loo.. well done France

When I was maintenance manager for a large food processing company in London, the staff toilet seats were forever being broken, both male and female toilets, it was an ongoing cost we didn't need.. I went to inspect and found foot marks on most the seats.. Puzzled, I asked the line supervisor who was doing this and why?
She informed me that those of a certain faith stood on the seats for a dump.. I surmised that this was causing the damage, so we decided to remove all seats ...
A notice was put up to the effect that seats had been removed for Safety reasons.. standing on seats was hazardous

I believe France has a big Muslim population so this may well be a factor and why squat toilets are also popular.

Another problem we had was blocked toilets due to people using reams of Blue roll paper that was used on the production lines.. .but it only happened in female loos .. so we installed sanitary towel vending machines.. free to use.. no more blocked toilets, it worked out a lot cheaper than having to have the drains jet washed every other week .

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We found one sites toilets were mounted so high off the ground even my feet didnt reach the floor. I am 6ft3 so SWMBO must have needed a ladder.
Pretty sure that was in Spain though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We found one sites toilets were mounted so high off the ground even my feet didnt reach the floor. I am 6ft3 so SWMBO must have needed a ladder.
Pretty sure that was in Spain though.
you need a high stool

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
That is so funny!!!

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
when we caravanned in France we always researched any potential campsites to make sure they had decent good clean seated toilets as SWMBO wouldn't have it any other way and I have to say non seated toilets are not my preference .

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Dick Strawbridge probably nicked them all for his Chateau renovation.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Just to be contrary to popular views; when I am camping I would rather use a public toilet than the one in the van. Saves having to do the walk of shame and all that messing with the cassette. In fact, the toilet of our new (to us) van has still to receive its first number 2 after 6 days of camping, and only has had feminine use for the night time pees. My prostrate is still intact (y)

The French public toilets I have come across over the years while camping or out at work are generally very good and clean. We just have some of those paper hanky packs in case there is no toilet paper and use the local facilities.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I always thought the idea of touring holidays was to experience new places and lifestyles/cultures.

Not moan about little things.

Or is it just me ?
Well probably not just you, but we like new places and good weather, sod the culture :ROFLMAO:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Far more hygienic, easier to clean, less maintenance costs and safer.. personally would prefer that in a public loo.. well done France

When I was maintenance manager for a large food processing company in London, the staff toilet seats were forever being broken, both male and female toilets, it was an ongoing cost we didn't need.. I went to inspect and found foot marks on most the seats.. Puzzled, I asked the line supervisor who was doing this and why?
She informed me that those of a certain faith stood on the seats for a dump.. I surmised that this was causing the damage, so we decided to remove all seats ...
A notice was put up to the effect that seats had been removed for Safety reasons.. standing on seats was hazardous

I believe France has a big Muslim population so this may well be a factor and why squat toilets are also popular.

Another problem we had was blocked toilets due to people using reams of Blue roll paper that was used on the production lines.. .but it only happened in female loos .. so we installed sanitary towel vending machines.. free to use.. no more blocked toilets, it worked out a lot cheaper than having to have the drains jet washed every other week .
Not sure how any seat would be cleaner if someone has just walked across the toilet floor and then stood on it o_O

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
What a load of crap :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not sure how any seat would be cleaner if someone has just walked across the toilet floor and then stood on it o_O

think you are being pedantic, I didn't say that..

I said they were removed in the factory because they were being damaged and for safety reasons.. ..

standing behaviour aside.. they are more hygienic.. it's much easier to make a porcelain bowl hygienic than one with a seat, lid and hinges that can harbour bacteria

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
think you are being pedantic, I didn't say that..

I said they were removed in the factory because they were being damaged and for safety reasons.. ..

standing behaviour aside.. they are more hygienic.. it's much easier to make a porcelain bowl hygienic than one with a seat, lid and hinges that can harbour bacteria
Why not just give them a hole in the floor and a shataf, then no seat standing........the other question here is what were they washing their arses with ? First suspect is the hand basins :doh:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Well I must say I struggle here in France to find spotless loos, thank god that when I return to the UK all is sooooo clean and tidy. I worked as a bus driver in Bradford for years and had to suffer the filth left in the toilets by those who choose not to sit. Good job I didn't make a stink (intended) like this thread about it whilst there .... I would have been labelled racist. GET A GRIP.

p.s. First sentence is sarcasm ... just to help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back