Water filling woes (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Trouble is that some aren't based on volume but rather on time so if you are taking a while to do it you might only get 20 litres, same reason we don't like the 'narrow' hoses which restrict the flow thus take longer to fill the tank up.

Yes. That’s why I don’t carry a watering can. I have two hoses, and time to other things.

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Hi all.
Sorry for the lack of replies, been burning around the River Ex estuary in the dinghy for the last two days.
Leaving Exmouth saturday so will read in detail over the weekend and absorb suggestions but so far:

Watering Can..... ain't gonna happen. 180 litre tank and we use it with drinking showering, washing up etc.

Hose pipe: We use expandable ones and we could fit a piece of rigid hose but then I have to store it.

I have the 2 heleos adaptor bits but I tried the other and it didn't fit but maybe I should read the instructions.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's not your only problem. If the breather is blocked by the cap it will cause a vacuum in the tank when the pump is running either restricting flow or sucking the tank sides in.
Take off the green breather and extend it down and out the bottom of the van.
With our Globecars the cap allowed the tank still to 'breath' as the water could get out as we travelled and leave lovely white marks down the ruddy van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Ours is 100 litres. Went away for 5 days, had three showers plus washing, toilet and dishes and used....30 litres. We use the elbow and watering can. works fine for us.

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
Just a thought but have you thought of KISS ( keep it simple st****) use a bog standard narrow nozzles spray jet hose end (simple garden hose adaptor) goes in the water filling point leaks not much but leaves the air vent open. And better still you can wash your motorhome with it ( unlike the water filler cap accessories)

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Just a thought but have you thought of KISS ( keep it simple st****) use a bog standard narrow nozzles spray jet hose end (simple garden hose adaptor) goes in the water filling point leaks not much but leaves the air vent open. And better still you can wash your motorhome with it ( unlike the water filler cap accessories)
But then I'd have to stand there holding it when instead I could be getting on with other things.

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
But then I'd have to stand there holding it when instead I could be getting on with other things.
No you don’t have to, the hose attachment is a tight enough fit not to need holding. If you have one of the larger waterfilling points then take the nozzle off and push the quick release fitting into the neck of the tank. If that doesn’t work, try a hose to hose connector with a length of hose attached and put it deep into your water tank

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
No you don’t have to, the hose attachment is a tight enough fit not to need holding. If you have one of the larger waterfilling points then take the nozzle off and push the quick release fitting into the neck of the tank. If that doesn’t work, try a hose to hose connector with a length of hose attached and put it deep into your water tank
We'll have to agree to disagree. Tried wedging hose/nozzle etc in and they inevitably fell out (on previous van) that is why I brought the Helios adaptor.
I'm sure the Helios adaptor is the way forward, I just have either a bodged filler neck or the Helios is set up wrong, or a combination of both.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So I have a Burstner Argos and filling with water has always been a PIA since owning it.
It may be in part because I like to use the clip in connector shown below.
View attachment 419059

The water tank has what appears to be an overflow/air vent pipe that runs into the filling socket, see the blue pipe.
View attachment 419061

The problem seems to come from the insert that goes into the socket to make the standard filler cap fit. It just pushes in but blocks the vent hole.
View attachment 419062

It just pushes in and cal be pulled out so probably makes locking the cap a waste of time.
View attachment 419064

The main issues is any half descent water flow and it mostly run down the side of the van because the air has nowhere to escape.
If you leave it on low enough flow it will fill to the point where it starts to pressurised the tank causing water leaks around the level probe.
If I remove the main tank inspection screw in cap, it can fill really fast as the air can escape but take your eye off the ball and you end up with a flooded garage.
Is this filler cap normal I have I got some crap adaptor to make the standard cap fit and what I need to do it buy a proper filler cap and a different hose adaptor?
Drill a hole in the top of the Cap if air will not escape when it is on.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi. We have 3 methods. Flat hose, x2 if needed, 2 x 10L watering cans (it’s easy carrying 2 as it is 1) if we’re near enough to tap, and the third method is..a 25L plastic container which we just drop a submersible pump into, hose straight into tank filler, hose held in there by squashing a piece of kitchen roll into the opening, this works well. If Mrs AleMan is about and free, we use the 25L plastic container, and the two watering cans, that way it don’t take to long to fill at all. By the way, we have a 130L fresh tank in our Argos.

nb..the 25L container is used with a lightweight Ali trolley. You wouldn’t want to be carrying that around. :LOL:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Whats wrong with just holding the hose in the tank until its full 5 minutes or so works for me. No chance of overflow or flooding you out.
You wouldn't refuel a car or van by placing the nozzle in and walking away, and for those who used to us the auto fill cut of function on the trigger at the pumps that has now been disabled. Filling with water takes no longer than filling with fuel.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
You wouldn't refuel a car or van by placing the nigel in and walking away, and for those who used to us the auto fill cut of function on the trigger at the pumps that has now been disabled. Filling with water takes no longer than filling with fuel.
I wouldn’t........Poor Nigel. 😂

Don’t you just love auto correct😂👍🏼

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Cant understand why you cant just stand and hold the hose pipe in the opening for five minutes or so whats so pressing that you cant. Thought motorhoming was about relaxing. Obviously if its a press tap you need two of you or as i use a watering can 😀

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You wouldn't refuel a car or van by placing the nozzle in and walking away, and for those who used to us the auto fill cut of function on the trigger at the pumps that has now been disabled.
& that is the one thing I hate about the UK & other countries. Here filler in, click on , wash windscreen & windows whilst filling or if a truck you can go & have coffee.
I've a clip somewhere that I used to use on guns with the autofill disabled.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
& that is the one thing I hate about the UK & other countries. Here filler in, click on , wash windscreen & windows whilst filling or if a truck you can go & have coffee.
The uk has health and safety overload ....nanny state

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Cant understand why you cant just stand and hold the hose pipe in the opening for five minutes or so whats so pressing that you cant. Thought motorhoming was about relaxing. Obviously if its a press tap you need two of you or as i use a watering can 😀
Relaxing is:
  1. having a beer.
  2. Playing games with my son.
  3. Watching the world go by.
  4. Etc....
Relaxing is not:
  1. Standing there holding onto a hose.
  2. Looking an idiot because the hose you wedged in has come out and is now flailing water all over you and others as it whips around and you chase it around (water pressure dependant).
  3. Walking back and forth carrying a bloody watering can like Monty Don. 180L water tank with a 10L watering can is obviously 18 times filling, carrying, emptying and repeat. Plus if I've drained the hot water system down, probably another two trips.
If YOU are happy carrying a watering can then good luck to you. I won't.

So my options appear to be, sort the HEOS unit out correctly so it vents through/around the unit or move the vent pipe from the filler and extend it and vent it out through the floor.

If anyone has a photo of the HEOS instructions, please put a photo in this thread if you can.

I have the two rings and one fits and the other does not so I don't really know what to do to get the vent option set up.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Many fuel stations in Spain still fill your vehicle for you,,,BUSBY..

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Or as i said stand and hold the hose pipe for e few minutes. Its only 18?trips if you let it run out. I top up each morning couple of trips job done. But hey ho each to their own. Plus you dont need to wedge it in if you hold it in !
I nearly always arrive onsite empty. Why carry up to 180kgs of water up the motorway.

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Or as i said stand and hold the hose pipe for e few minutes. Its only 18?trips if you let it run out. I top up each morning couple of trips job done. But hey ho each to their own. Plus you dont need to wedge it in if you hold it in !
Sounds like sex therapy sound bytes :giggle:

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Relaxing is:
  1. having a beer.
  4. Etc....
Relaxing is not:
  2. Looking an idiot because the hose you wedged in has come out and is now flailing water all over you and others as it whips around and you chase it around (water pressure dependant).
  3. Walking back and forth carrying a bloody watering can like Monty Don. 180L water tank with a 10L watering can is obviously 18 times filling, carrying, emptying and repeat. Plus if I've drained the hot water system down, probably another two trips.

So my options appear to be, sort the HEOS unit out correctly so it vents through/around the unit or move the vent pipe from the filler and extend it and vent it out through the floor.

If anyone has a photo of the HEOS instructions, please put a photo in this thread if you can.

I have the two rings and one fits and the other does not so I don't really know what to do to get the vent option set up.
Calm down mate.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Relaxing is:
  1. having a beer.
  4. Etc....
Relaxing is not:

Why can I only like this once. I like it more than that. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I have the instructions and can post them at some point.

But of you have a look at the amazon advert I posted in this thread for it....there is images of the washer that needs to be removed....once you have the correct neck fitting adapter on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back