Water filling woes (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
When you go to an aire, and you put a euro, or jeton in for 100 litres of water. How quick do you lot with watering cans then move?
Are you also able to “man” the tap to make sure another person doesn‘t pull up and connect his hose and fill his van, whist you are absent?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My biggest problem is finding water anywhere, if not a site you are stuffed, I tried a filling station at 50p aa session on the water outlet and it dribbles enough for a washer bottle the cuts off and took a long time.
finding a supply is difficult all over. So I now set out from home full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Be very careful if you use the HEOSolution or anything similar. The air vent hole is not very big and if you are filling from a high pressure supply like many French/German ones, the inrush of water is much greater than the outflow of air. The pressure buildup is more than enough to blow pipes and fittings apart in you ‘van. Don’t rely on air vent pipes either. Much better to just use a hose so if you overfill it’s just comes straight out.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My biggest problem is finding water anywhere, if not a site you are stuffed, I tried a filling station at 50p aa session on the water outlet and it dribbles enough for a washer bottle the cuts off and took a long time.
finding a supply is difficult all over. So I now set out from home full.
Every good FLT has a set of these

Screenshot_20200826-091951_Google.jpg

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Be very careful if you use the HEOSolution or anything similar. The air vent hole is not very big and if you are filling from a high pressure supply like many French/German ones, the inrush of water is much greater than the outflow of air. The pressure buildup is more than enough to blow pipes and fittings apart in you ‘van. Don’t rely on air vent pipes either. Much better to just use a hose so if you overfill it’s just comes straight out.

The Heos filler cap doesn't have a vent hole, you remove the full face washer if you want it to vent through the filler neck as you fill, as shown in the images on the previously posted advert and in the instructions supplied with them.

Take a look at the images from the advert and you see which piece to remove for vented or unvented tanks....no hole drilling.

HEOSolution 5251 Water Connector with Gardena, Blue Amazon product ASIN B00NXYFC30

As I said I have the instructions if you need them.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I use a watering can, no problems at all. Fits all taps and valves and goes any distance.
There speaks a man who has never been to Shell Island LOL !!

Where we ( the Funsters ) normally plot up, the tap is a good 150 yards away and involves a bit of a hill
We have the optional large water tank on our Chieftain.. Lord knows how big it is but it will take 4 x 40 litre barrels no problem !
Even with a hose it takes at least 10+ minutes to fill the water tank and at the rate SHE uses water I reckon it would be a Forth Bridge job to keep it topped off with a watering can !

Tried a Helos but gave up and just use a long pipe stuffed in the hole :)

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Yep, she does struggle sometimes :cool:

Actualy we bought a pack of these...
Amazon product ASIN B071GZ85PPAlong with a short and a long expanding hose and so far I have used those blue things more than anything else along with the elbow. The weight and space saving over a normal hose and the space taken by a watering can, is brilliant. One of the best bits of kit I have.(y)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
There speaks a man who has never been to Shell Island LOL !!

Where we ( the Funsters ) normally plot up, the tap is a good 150 yards away and involves a bit of a hill
We have the optional large water tank on our Chieftain.. Lord knows how big it is but it will take 4 x 40 litre barrels no problem !
Even with a hose it takes at least 10+ minutes to fill the water tank and at the rate SHE uses water I reckon it would be a Forth Bridge job to keep it topped off with a watering can !

Tried a Helos but gave up and just use a long pipe stuffed in the hole :)
Took me a while to figure out the Helios connector but not having got it sorted it works a treat on German sites at least.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Took me a while to figure out the Helios connector but not having got it sorted it works a treat on German sites at least.
Mine works ok(ish) but its just as easy to poke a pipe down the hole.. Mind you, I bought it off a Funster and I am pretty sure there is a bit missing LOL !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whats wrong with just holding the hose in the tank until its full 5 minutes or so works for me. No chance of overflow or flooding you out.
Only trouble with that is the hose won't stay in the filer neck once you turn the water on so if you are not within arms reach of the filler end and the tap you're likely to get a shower as you frantically try to grab the 'snake' it as it 'hisses' around spraying you with water.

Not so easy if it’s a push button tap, unless you’ve got really long arm.
You mean you don't carry re-leaseable cable ties for that event.
You are letting the Hymerites down.
I have a double sided hook/loop strap, works a treat.

When you go to an aire, and you put a euro, or jeton in for 100 litres of water. How quick do you lot with watering cans then move?
Are you also able to “man” the tap to make sure another person doesn‘t pull up and connect his hose and fill his van, whist you are absent?
Trouble is that some aren't based on volume but rather on time so if you are taking a while to do it you might only get 20 litres, same reason we don't like the 'narrow' hoses which restrict the flow thus take longer to fill the tank up.

Or come out the fresh water tank screw cap as we had (hadn't been fitted properly by the factory).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only trouble with that is the hose won't stay in the filer neck once you turn the water on so if you are not within arms reach of the filler end and the tap you're likely to get a shower as you frantically try to grab the 'snake' it as it 'hisses' around spraying you with water.
I just put my hose in the pipe it has a hose fitting on the end, I push in about a foot never comes out. In fact it can be a pain to get out if the connector gets caught on the ribbed pipe.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I just put my hose in the pipe it has a hose fitting on the end, I push in about a foot never comes out. In fact it can be a pain to get out if the connector gets caught on the ribbed pipe.
IMV that's not ideal Lenny as at least one funster 'lost' the end down the inlet pipe when it came off their hose and I believe was a pig to retrieve.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I do the same thing and the hose never falls out .....its a nice tight fit and there's no way the connector would fall off as the hose has been shrunk on to it ...would need cut off.

At £24 for one of those caps I'd expect it to be filling the van for me

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
For me it’s all about options.....

I have a ‘new’ style Heos Universal, i have a colapz bucket/watering can and I have a 12v submersible pump with hose.

Depending on location and requirement.

I have never had any issues with the Heos, but I believe a lot of the criticism is from people who maybe only have experience of previous versions or they listen to people who have not read the instructions about the vent washer and fit It incorrectly.

The collapz bucket/watering can is also great....But it’s a full tenner more than the Heos filler cap 😱😱😱😂

The pump works great from the likes of an Aquaroll......which can usually be borrowed from a friendly tugger.

Bigbass

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV 60 Chatsw
Exp
5 years but tent camper previously
I use a 15litre folding water container from amazon with a short length of hose attached via a universal rubber tap connector, folds down to flat package so easily stored and saves space, cost £12. Whale inlet on elddis cv60.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's not your only problem. If the breather is blocked by the cap it will cause a vacuum in the tank when the pump is running either restricting flow or sucking the tank sides in.
Take off the green breather and extend it down and out the bottom of the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back