Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Might depend where you are Andy, if you leave a puddle 2 inches deep and the next occupant of the pitch is a tent they might not be happy, if it's a rally field that ain't going to be used again for months it's a different story.

Martin

It still ends up in water ways..its pollution as simple as that.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Not only that storm drains can connect straight into rivers and pollution s real problem for equatic life etc....instead of head scratching and wondering why it's not acceptable a quick Google search will educate...its a disgrace to be honest

In some European country's you can't even wash vehicles at home because of detergents running into water system.

This will give you an idea.....

http://www.kent.gov.uk/waste-planning-and-land/flooding-and-drainage/drainage-systems

Eddie

I'm well aware of environmental issues thank you - probably more so than you think!

What I'm struggling to understand is the attitude shown toward the person in the article. The punishment doesn't fit the crime in my book.

If he'd been seen tipping toxic chemicals direct into a watercourse then yes. For a bit of grey water.... No.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Eddie

I'm well aware of environmental issues thank you - probably more so than you think!

What I'm struggling to understand is the attitude shown toward the person in the article. The punishment doesn't fit the crime in my book.

If he'd been seen tipping toxic chemicals direct into a watercourse then yes. For a bit of grey water.... No.

Do you really think this is his first time..he is simply anti social.
What a great ambassador for the UK

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ok thanks for explaining Martin.

I'm not disputing that if emptied by everyone and left in pools it would be unpleasant. However I still don't understand why this particular incident has caused an international outcry.

I would think the food scraps would be miniscule if they got through the plug hole. If detergent is in the water wouldn't it dispense with any fats or oily residue? Not sure what the etc, etc refers to as I can't think of anything else that could be in the water.

On tarmac roads and aires surely the amount of oil and muck from vehicles would far outweigh any discharged by grey water? I'm not saying that we should all be able to discharge our waste grey water all over the place but is still think the reaction to this particular incident is way over the top.

Yes the roads are oily and mucky but in the dry they still offer grip, if it's raining you know the grip is reduced and ride accordingly, if you come round a corner or roundabout and somebody's waste tank has "lubricated the road" just in that patch it could hurt.

I was coming out of Leyburn a couple of weeks ago and following a trail of water which started around the camp site, when I got to the traffic lights to go over the railway bridge I guess the incline had helped drain the dregs out and ther was a mess in the middle of the road, to be honest it looked like someone had been sick in the middle of the road, bet his tank was clean though.

I'm not sure about the outcry at this particular incident, I took your question to be about the "offence" of dumping grey waste in general so answered in that vain.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Eddie

Because its seen as lazy and dirty by many people and it can get motorhomes a bad name when it is seen by the public.

It is also an old chestnut of a topic which gets a groan every time it appears.

But on a global scale of bad things in the world it probably ranks alongside wearing socks with sandals.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
It's unacceptable to drain waste water in a public place like that, I'm sure that we've all drained it discreetly and responsibly on a occasions but you need to be careful where and how.

However I also think such rude and confrontational behaviour is abhorrent and that it's pretty vile to publish a piece like that with such an insulting and abusive tone, also publishing the number number plate could incite a witch hunt.The guy was wrong to do what he did and the French camping variate could have pointed this out for sure, but...

Yes let's see the photo...it's out there anyway...and yes let's campaign for responsible behaviour (I've seen all sorts on Aires too and the French are not always exemplarary) but I agree with Jim that publishing the number plate on here is a bit ott.

It would be good to have a code of behaviour to refer such inconsiderate motorhomers to, instead of ranting you could just politely approach them and offer them a copy...:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
@Oriel, the grey waste in our tank becomes smelly after a few days and some of the waste food is noticeable when draining the tank. On occasions, I've found the smell quite offensive when draining the tank so I can imagine what it could have smelt and looked like if draining onto Tarmac.

We now use biological washing up liquid to reduce the tank odour and wipe our plates with kitchen roll before washing but not everyone does and I'd be peed off with the motorhomers who did this, especially if it were in a favourite place of mine and showed no remorse for their actions.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On tarmac roads and aires surely the amount of oil and muck from vehicles would far outweigh any discharged by grey water?
That point is often raised on threads like this one. It is probably true but why add to it when doing so is easily avoided?

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I stayed on a campsite in Spain.
Late one night I went to the toilet block.
On my return someone had opened my wast valve.
Lucky for me he German next to me closed it and as we had known each other for a couple of years new it was not my thing to let the wast go on the gras.
Had that been filmed or a photo published
I whould be the one on the recieving end of all this.
It was not me but I think it was a Dutch caravaner who asked me to move so they could be near there friends.
I refused he was not happy.
So I presume he thought it was funny.
So without the hole story we will never know.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Might depend where you are Andy, if you leave a puddle 2 inches deep and the next occupant of the pitch is a tent they might not be happy, if it's a rally field that ain't going to be used again for months it's a different story.

Martin
Yes Martin I use a little common sense ...and am mindful of others...but the fact still remains that's what I do to keep clean... what's the difference.. I can't see I'm being anti social or however this thread appears make people out to be....
Seen a few vans with external shower units and lost count of the number of vans I've seen draining their waste tanks while pitched and travelling...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I stayed on a campsite in Spain.
Late one night I went to the toilet block.
On my return someone had opened my wast valve.
Lucky for me he German next to me closed it and as we had known each other for a couple of years new it was not my thing to let the wast go on the gras.
Had that been filmed or a photo published
I whould be the one on the recieving end of all this.
It was not me but I think it was a Dutch caravaner who asked me to move so they could be near there friends.
I refused he was not happy.
So I presume he thought it was funny.
So without the hole story we will never know.

I would have stuffed my newspaper in his wheel arch and lit him up like a christmas tree...:)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes Martin I use a little common sense ...and am mindful of others...but the fact still remains that's what I do to keep clean... what's the difference.. I can't see I'm being anti social or however this thread appears make people out to be....
Seen a few vans with external shower units and lost count of the number of vans I've seen draining their waste tanks while pitched and travelling...

Ah that where you go wrong @andy63 you "use a little common sense" it's a rare commodity these days and some people don't know where to get it from(y).

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Ah that where you go wrong @andy63 you "use a little common sense" it's a rare commodity these days and some people don't know where to get it from(y).

Martin
Such a diplomat.. lol:).. I take your point..and will leave it at that... reminds me of the Gennys debates :LOL:
Ta andy

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I don't know, or care, if this is his first time. What worries me is the vitriol being stirred up against him... which, to me, is far more toxic than anything he's dumped!
Your missing the point..its the accumaltive affect of pig ignorance on the environment and the example it sets.. Either part of the problem or part of the solution ....your choice:)

Did someone mention gennies? Oh goody love em!:LOL:

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Some of us talking about the sin not the sinner.... ah well any excuse for a dig

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Your missing the point..its the accumaltive affect of pig ignorance on the environment and the example it sets.. Either part of the problem or part of the solution ....your choice:)

No, the point I'm making is in relation to the original poster's topic - which was about the public shaming of a motorhomer discharging grey waste. My point is that the reaction to the incident - both here and in the publication in which the photo was printed, is totally out of proportion to the 'crime'.

As I said to you before Eddie - I'm very well acquainted with EU environmental legislation and don't need your input - even with the smiley suffix.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I would have stuffed my newspaper in his wheel arch and lit him up like a christmas tree...:)
That would be toxic and very bad for the environment!

I think that this thread is so funny, considering that the majority of the French seem to think that it is perfectly acceptable to piss and shit beside the road!

And as for the French cleaning up dog mess? well, they don't seem to!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
This is my FRENCH point of view:

When I see a French parking 1 metre away from my entrance door, I do not declare all French do the same (even if I saw quite a few doing this which tends to put me in quite a rage, especially when there is loads of room to park).

When I see an English emptying his grey water tank on a french field, I don’t shout out loud “criminal”!!!!

I don’t give names to a whole population just because a few members of a community do things I would not like (precision:, I do not give a damn about grey waters emptying, when it is done in a sensible way for sensible reasons : ie very dry place and only a few bubbles, and no dirty floating things…certainly not on a road!)

That French person accusing that English motorhomer might not like grey waters emptying in a field, but what do you know about his french way of rinsing his cassette? Or about the way he parks his motorhome, or even his way of extending his pitch by putting out table and chairs , or having a fish BBQ…. which might give loads of stinking smoke….or may be he drinks “comme un trou” (like a hole we say in French) and gets drunk and sing all night outside, not giving a chance to sleep to his neighbours.

What I think is , we all have taboos, things we don’t like and things we can stand or even don’t care about. It doesn’t make of us all, bad persons…just different .

This English man shouldn’t have been given names, and that French man shouldn’t have been allowed to show his van!

To me, it is just like calling all Germans Hitler.
I won't say more on the subject!

Frankie

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I actually feel really sorry for the motorhomer who is the subject of this thread.

It may well be that he or she is a member of this forum. If I was him/her I'd be changing the registration plates on my vehicle before I dared to visit any site here or abroad. I would be genuinely worried and scared.

What is the purpose of printing the photo showing his registration?

Are fellow motorhomers supposed to verbally/physically assault him and or his vehicle.... daub a large cross on his MH, glue his waste pipe up under cover of darkness!? Going by a few of the comments here, it wouldn't surprise me if his registration number hadn't been noted and placed in a prominent position on the dashboard quick reference and swift action!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have solved my problem of grey water tank emptying.

Unless on my own land (where my waste tap has been open for YEARS with NONE of the ridiculous problems listed in the thread above), when I empty my tank, I make sure no sanctimonious, smarty pants Funsters, who want everyone to live by THEIR rules, see it happening and thus, no one get their knickers in a twist about it.

JJ :cool:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have I missed something in this thread, 85 posts about a guy letting out grey water, and no sign , as far as I can see , of the actual photo, might have been something compleatly different, such as his freshwater tank overflowing, as the letter writer couldn't speak English how did he know what the English guy was trying to explain.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No, the point I'm making is in relation to the original poster's topic - which was about the public shaming of a motorhomer discharging grey waste. My point is that the reaction to the incident - both here and in the publication in which the photo was printed, is totally out of proportion to the 'crime'.

As I said to you before Eddie - I'm very well acquainted with EU environmental legislation and don't need your input - even with the smiley suffix.

OK understood no need to get huffy....I'm more interested in the bigger picture then this individual.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Oh dear, another thread gone from comment, opinion, good natured banter to an undertone of unpleasantness - why ? Can't we all play nicely please

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
OK, as the instigator of this topic which has caused great interest, here is my final word. My point is this, although I do think that irresponsible discharge of waste water is wrong I realise that this type of behaviour is not restricted to Britons. The French press has acted in a xenophobic manner in publishing the letter and accompanying photo to the detriment of UK motorhomers. It is the fault of the Kon Tiki man and his alleged reaction to being reprimanded that has caused the incident. It has served only to give the French a stick to beat us with. The photograph and letter were only published because the van was British.

To see the page from Le Monde Du Camping car use the link below. I have obscured the number plate, if you want this information, you will have to buy your own copy of the magazine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q39iasf0jbh8pe8/Le Monde Du Camping-car.pdf?dl=0

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back