LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
So I'm probably guilty of crowing too much on here about how good it's been keeping the camper garaged at Alicante for six months and flying backwards and forwards to use it. And indeed, it's been a great winter for us.

BUT, we were due to fly to Alicante tomorrow and then drive home through France and the tunnel to the UK!

And yes, you're probably ahead of me... all flights cancelled, and so the van is now stuck in the garage in Spain. And I suspect little likelihood of us being allowed to go to collect it for a considerable number of months at least.

At the moment we're surprisingly relaxed about it, even if somewhat frustrated. We've been in touch with the garage and they are happy to continue to look after it and keep the batteries conditioned. Oh and they said we weren't the only ones...

I'd really like to call on the collective wisdom and knowledge of the Funster community for constructive suggestions as to what you would do in a similar situation? Or, indeed any practical ideas on overcoming the issue?

As I see it, we can: i) just leave it a few months and see what happens; or ii) try to get the van transported back to the UK.

Other considerations: the van is taxed and MOT'd to the end of June. And although the vehicle insurance is also renewed then, I will probably need to talk to them, because the single continental trip cover of 8 months expires around 20 May. Guess, it gets more complicated when the MOT expires in late June.

We have comprehensive Camping and Caravan Club Arrival / RAC breakdown cover. And a separate personal annual multi-trip insurance policy, mainly for the health cover. But since we haven't broken down or had an accident, I'm not sure if they will be of any assistance?

I have this morning spoken to a vehicle transport company based in Spain (CarTranSpain) that moves vehicles between there and the UK on car transporters and was given a ball-park figure of £2,200 to ship the van back. But, at the moment, they are awaiting word from the Spanish authorities to see if they can get 'essential business' recognition, which would allow them to operate - otherwise they are stuffed as well! Also, there's the risk borders may be closed even for 'essential businesses' while the van's in transit? Any thoughts whether that is a reasonable price? Or know of any other transport / recovery companies it would be worth talking to?

Sorry about the length of the post, but there's my conundrum.

Looking forward to answers on a postcard... Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Best try to find someone who is in Spain that has a suitable licence to drive it back for you, you can add them as a named driver.
I thought that insurance companies were a bit hesitant of insuring vans that were left unattended overseas anyway.
That sounds a really good idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would be honest with the insurers and discuss the unprecedented situation. The vehicle is securely garaged and not at any enhanced risk, however the upcoming MOT need will complicate matters. Putting the van on SORN will stop any penalty being automatically created. When the covid lockdown is lifted fly out and bring it home to a prebooked MOT

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I would be honest with the insurers and discuss the unprecedented situation. The vehicle is securely garaged and not at any enhanced risk, however the upcoming MOT need will complicate matters. Putting the van on SORN will stop any penalty being automatically created. When the covid lockdown is lifted fly out and bring it home to a prebooked MOT
Good advice re insurers and you are correct the lack of MOT is a problem and as putting a vehicle on SORN outside the UK which has been discussed to death on here lol

But I am sure someone else has been in this situation at some time and may have the definitive answer re not because of a virus lol

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I thought that insurance companies were a bit hesitant of insuring vans that were left unattended overseas anyway.
Indeed you are absolutely right. But after a great deal of searching around - and two solid days on the phone when I nearly lost the will to live - I eventually found an underwriter who would provide comprehensive cover including storage in Spain. The underwriter assessed the security etc of the storage hall where it is kept - so I don't have any concerns on that score.

Thanks for your suggestion about finding somebody to drive it back - which is an excellent one, but I'm not sure how I'd find anybody and presume they'd face similar travel restrictions at the moment?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You could always ask on Fun. there is a help post that Jim has started ,your predicament seems to fit that category. Obviously you have to have trust in whoever drives your van but I would have more trust in a fellow funster than just A driver.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
You could always ask on Fun. there is a help post that Jim has started ,your predicament seems to fit that category. Obviously you have to have trust in whoever drives your van but I would have more trust in a fellow funster than just A driver.
Absolutely, provided I could organise the insurance, I'd have every confidence in a Funster driving it back.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
That is a great idea but that person needs to be non resident and have a UK driving licence, residents cannot move or drive a non Spanish vehicle in Spain.
There are a lot of non resident people that own homes and have family here cannot get back here.
Bob

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
That is a great idea but that person needs to be non resident and have a UK driving licence, residents cannot move or drive a non Spanish vehicle in Spain.
There are a lot of non resident people that own homes and have family here cannot get back here.
Bob
Ah, very helpful and informative - thanks!

I knew there would be lots of Funsters with valuable insight and knowledge. (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not really legal to SORN a vehicle that is not in the UK..technically it's really been exported,,,Big problem but i think I would risk it and SORN it..When they give the all clear book it in for MOT at your port of arrival back in uk.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Riverbankannie and Dazzlin are / were out in Spain trying to find flights to get back,might be able to help.
We are on a flight tomorrow from Murcia. Could easily have considered driving it back for you but we all arranged now and being picked up at Gatwick. However, if it all goes pear shaped tomorrow .....

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Leave until after the lockdowns are over, minimum two weeks in France, but talk of extensions. We live in the Charente Maritme and our van is blocked near Toulouse, no real problem because if we get it back here we are no allowed out .... deep joy

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
When we had our last MH written off in Spain, Dec. 2016, it was repatriated on behalf of the insurance company by Norman Marshall Ltd in Surrey.
They dont have a website but this is their contact details...

Broken Link Removed

I had to speak to them a couple of times on the phone when the proposed forwarding of the MH to Cheshire for assessment wasn't going to plan and they struck me as being quite competent.

Might be worth a call even to just get some perspective of cost or likelihood of success?

Good luck.

Barry

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
You need a husband and wife team, there must be plenty on the move. ? Bob.
Just heard only one person per vehicle in Spain. God knows how a married couple will get on. Leave her behind is one solution.?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just heard only one person per vehicle in Spain. God knows how a married couple will get on. Leave her behind is one solution.?
That's for people going shopping etc,,not returning home,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We are on a flight tomorrow from Murcia. Could easily have considered driving it back for you but we all arranged now and being picked up at Gatwick. However, if it all goes pear shaped tomorrow .....
Hope your flight goes OK tomorrow Annie - I didn't realise you were stuck in Spain.

But thanks for your generous consideration.

Good luck! Mike

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
mikebeaches
Renew the tax online. Renew the insurance as normal but do not mention the van is out of the UK - I tried to get a second quote when I was in France and was told the van could not be insured if it was out of the UK.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

People on route to their home as in UK residents are OK, but not advised to wander off route the fines are being handed out, people here now have to carry a permit to go to work, walking or driving the car one person in both cases, going shopping one person, taking the dog for a wee one person quick and away from other people, its very serious as you will see shortly in the UK. ? Bob..

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
When we had our last MH written off in Spain, Dec. 2016, it was repatriated on behalf of the insurance company by Norman Marshall Ltd in Surrey.
They dont have a website but this is their contact details...

Broken Link Removed

I had to speak to them a couple of times on the phone when the proposed forwarding of the MH to Cheshire for assessment wasn't going to plan and they struck me as being quite competent.

Might be worth a call even to just get some perspective of cost or likelihood of success?

Good luck.

Barry
Barry, that's extremely helpful information - thanks ever so much!

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Cheers, Mike

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hope your flight goes OK tomorrow Annie - I didn't realise you were stuck in Spain.

But thanks for your generous consideration.

Good luck! Mike
Would have been an adventure, we have got lots of time and like wild camping, aires and have 4 tunnel tickets about to expire. Not to mention you handily live near us! :giggle: We could have gone via yodeli.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Would have been an adventure, we have got lots of time and like wild camping, aires and have 4 tunnel tickets about to expire. Not to mention you handily live near us! :giggle: We could have gone via yodeli.
Yes, the van's good to go - a decent amount of fuel and plenty of gas. :giggle:

Comfortmatic gearbox and cruise control too, so a nice relaxed journey. And, as you say, even handy being in Bristol - amazing! :giggle:

But no worries - have a good trip. (y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Whatever make sure it's in complete agreement with your insurers, and get it in writing

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
People on route to their home as in UK residents are OK, but not advised to wander off route the fines are being handed out, people here now have to carry a permit to go to work, walking or driving the car one person in both cases, going shopping one person, taking the dog for a wee one person quick and away from other people, its very serious as you will see shortly in the UK. ? Bob..
I think it was Murcia, I heard instant on-the-spot €500 fines issued for more than one person (local) in the vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back