Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Unfortunately
I haven't seen that one ?

There is so much gone on I cant find the original posts, but that's the form, you also need a permit for vets hospitals and so on. ?

Screenshot_20200317-210449_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20200317-220517_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20200317-220630_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20200317-220711_Facebook.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks Emmit - that was very much the way my thoughts were going.

Reference the road tax, I was thinking of putting the van on SORN for a month or maybe two, then re-taxing it for 12 months well before the MOT expired. Do you think that would cover that particular issue?

Very much appreciate your advice. As you say, I have done everything I can to stay legal, and intend to continue to do so if at all possible.

Having said that, I'm conscious a foreign registered vehicle should only be in Spain (or any other EU country) for maximum of 6 months and that will end on 11 April - so another little issue to consider. But of course the van is not being used and is securely stored indoors and off the road. And if necessary, I would be able to provide precise proof of the days it has been on the road and the days it is been in storage. But given the current emergency, I'm hoping that won't be too much of an issue.

DVLA state that one should not put a vehicle on SORN while it is not in the UK. Unfortunately SORN (I think,) came in after I left the Job so I am unable to comment re the legality or otherwise of performing such an action. I imagine that DVLA would say that on the presumption that peeps SORNing vehicles in foreign parts would do so to save money as opposed to your situation where the vehicle is not on a road and therefore a different set of circs.
However, I would caution against the action you propose. Yes, you would have a Taxed vehicle but you would still have a vehicle without an MOT. The Traffico if they stopped you would possibly impound your vehicle and that could be costly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I hope it all works out for you.

If I was you I think I would tax (maybe SORN and then retax) and insure it then book a ferry from Spain to the UK when the routes reopen and book the MOT for when you arrive. That way the van is not on the road for any longer than it needs to be without an MOT. You might want to consider a transporter to get it from storage to the ferry. I don't think I would have it recovered all the way back to the UK at the moment but wait to see how the situation develops.

You won't be the only person affected I am sure of that.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
With regard to obtaining an MOT.
Gone are the days when one could drive from one end of the country to the other to get an MOT. However, one can drive a vehicle away from a MOT station to ones home if it fails (providing it isn't major)
If you decide to drive home via the Spanish ferries, book an MOT at a station local to wherever you dock.
That would make it legal for you to drive unMOTed??? from the dock.
If you use Plymouth I can suggest a Bus Operator in Plymouth that you could in at.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
DVLA state that one should not put a vehicle on SORN while it is not in the UK. Unfortunately SORN (I think,) came in after I left the Job so I am unable to comment re the legality or otherwise of performing such an action. I imagine that DVLA would say that on the presumption that peeps SORNing vehicles in foreign parts would do so to save money as opposed to your situation where the vehicle is not on a road and therefore a different set of circs.
However, I would caution against the action you propose. Yes, you would have a Taxed vehicle but you would still have a vehicle without an MOT. The Traffico if they stopped you would possibly impound your vehicle and that could be costly.
Helpful - thanks!

Guess I should seek advice from insurance company, to see what they have to say.

And then DVLA. Suppose I thought might have difficulty getting any useful information from them concerning such unique (or almost) set of circumstances.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's a shame it wasn't a couple days ago Mike, we have motorhome friends that flew out and were having trouble getting back, but unfortunately they are on a flight tomorrow and they live in Wiltshire, ? so close but yet so far. Bob.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Oh great - thanks - very helpful. And apologies I dismissed your original suggestion! (y)

Sounds as though you have got the inside track on the company... Cheers.
I sub contracted for them back in the 90s,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
It's a shame it wasn't a couple days ago Mike, we have motorhome friends that flew out and were having trouble getting back, but unfortunately they are on a flight tomorrow and they live in Wiltshire, ? so close but yet so far. Bob.
One of those things, but thanks for the thought. (y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Helpful - thanks!

Guess I should seek advice from insurance company, to see what they have to say.

And then DVLA. Suppose I thought might have difficulty getting any useful information from them concerning such unique (or almost) set of circumstances.

The very last thing (never!) I would do is to contact insurance company or the DVLA.

They will only give you the 'official' line - and tell you that you can't drive the vehicle!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think just keeping it taxed and insured might be the only option. I personally wouldn't worry about the MOT and would drive it back via a ferry from Spain... ...others would not....
As I said in a previous post. I am sure it was done back around 200?ish from La Manga. And the R-V had been "laid up" in Spain for getting on for 2 years. The owner even had to come back to Blighty for a medical to renew his licence!, having turned 70, as I recall.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
The ITV (MOT) stations have been closed in Spain and drivers told they will not be prosecuted if out of MOT......expect the same might happen here - my van booked in for MOT next week .....

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Another benefit of 50 year old Vehicles?. No requirement any more!:giggle: Mind, the majority of responsible classic owner's still have it done. Even with the best in home maintenance, a second pair of eyes is not a bad thing. And the onus of "being in a roadworthy condition" is still the responsibility of the owner.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The ITV (MOT) stations have been closed in Spain and drivers told they will not be prosecuted if out of MOT......expect the same might happen here - my van booked in for MOT next week .....
That is particularly useful information which I wasn't aware of - thank you for that!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Unfortunately

There is so much gone on I cant find the original posts, but that's the form, you also need a permit for vets hospitals and so on. ?

View attachment 369956View attachment 369957View attachment 369958View attachment 369959

That is obviously just your local area Bob as we have nothing whatsoever here as regards working/appointments /etc: Same thing with where you mentioned companies having to get something to be classed as "essential business" nothing here.
I'd agree with that & add as BB has already said the ITV stations are shut here now & no one will be prosecuted for not having one.So if it eventually came down to it you could argue the same if stopped.
The very last thing (never!) I would do is to contact insurance company or the DVLA.

They will only give you the 'official' line - and tell you that you can't drive the vehicle!
What BB said . Just keep it taxed & insured & wait it out is what I would do.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Keep it legal, not telling your insurance or DVLA the full story could work out very expensive.........it’s an expensive piece of kit so keep the paperwork as straight as possible. (y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Keep it legal, not telling your insurance or DVLA the full story could work out very expensive.........it’s an expensive piece of kit so keep the paperwork as straight as possible. (y)

If the van has been in Spain more than 6 months it's already illegal

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Asked my local MOT station reply was you are legally entitled to drive to get your vehicle MOTed but you must have booked an appointment.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Renew the Tax before the MOT expires
Qui
If the van has been in Spain more than 6 months it's already illegal
Not quite illegal on that score yet... Entered 2 October, so it very soon will be ie 1 April.

I've got the print-out of a tunnel booking for 31 March for returning to the UK, which I will keep, and can use to demonstrate my original intent if necessary. But I will now change the ticket to much later so as not to lose any money on that at the moment.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Helpful - thanks!

I doubt the DVLA will be able to give you any information at the moment so hold off telling them for as long as you are able. the insurance companies appear to be more on the ball but as there is no urgency you can leave it a few days longer as the situation is changing so rapidly.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Asked my local MOT station reply was you are legally entitled to drive to get your vehicle MOTed but you must have booked an appointment.

Very important to get it booked.
I once drove from Morecambe (back in the day) to West Yorkshire to have an MOT. Without deviating I was able to go home and cancelled the Test.

Those days have gone.

It used to happen all the time during the holiday season. Scotland to Mevagissey (and Back!!!:eek:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

And how would we drive a vehicle though without an MOT over here?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
From BF website today, Wednesday 18 March

UK - Spain
PORTSMOUTH TO BILBAO / BILBAO TO PORTSMOUTH
All services are cancelled between 20/03/20 and 11/04/20 inclusive.

PORTSMOUTH TO SANTANDER / SANTANDER TO PORTSMOUTH
All services are cancelled between 22/03/20 and 12/04/20 inclusive.

PLYMOUTH TO SANTANDER / SANTANDER TO PLYMOUTH
All services are cancelled until 12/04/20.

Ireland - France & Spain
CORK TO ROSCOFF / ROSCOFF TO CORK
All services are cancelled until 09/04/20 inclusive.

ROSSLARE TO ROSCOFF / ROSCOFF TO ROSSLARE
All services are cancelled until 12/04/20 inclusive.

ROSSLARE TO BILBAO / BILBAO TO ROSSLARE
All services are cancelled until 09/04/20 inclusive.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You book an MOT close to where you arrive in this country. You drive from the Port to the MOT Station. That is allowed. One can drive a vehicle to an MOT Station, for a PRE ARRANGED TEST

No, I was replying to the fact someone said the same might be happening over here soon, ie, you won't be prosecuted for no MOT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back