Motorhome v Caravan. (6 Viewers)

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
We don’t mind the odd night on an aire with ehu on the way to our main destination,we will be doing an overnight around Dijon when we head down to Italy in august

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Actually, this is a brilliant thread and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
We are at a crossroads in our personal outdoor method of holidaying/ day trips etc and this thread has thrown up some very salient points.
One thing I am confused over though is this.

What is a PVC ( panel van conversion). Is this not a campervan?

What is a 'pop-top 'van ( is this a panel van conversion)VW transporter type or T4/T5/T6 etc ?

What is a Campervan (is this also a van conversion)?

Sorry if this sets off a can of worms but I am getting confused with what actually means what and what equipment each actually needs to have to be classed as such.
Our coachbuilt motorhome is v5 classed as Motorised Caravan, to cause even further muddying of the waters.
The broad definition between a motorhome and a Campervan is the loo and shower.

A campervan does not typically have a "bathroom"
That is an internal shower and a cassette, or similar, loo.

Most campervans do not have a shower at all, or if they do its an external shower.
Most campervans do not have a loo, or if they do, its "bucket & chuck it" type with no privacy (unless all other occupants leave the vehicle)

A motorhome can be self sustained for days at a time.
A campervan in reality relies on external facilities (even if that is a hedge in which to dispose of the contents of the "Bucket & Chuck it")

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Personally, I think you are being a little disingenuous to caravan owners.
Some maybe a little confused or ignore such restrictions, but not most.
And the same can be said for motorhomers.
Who hasn't run whilst unwittingly being overweight?
Not from what I have seen, a couple of years ago we spent a few days on a site. Caravan pulled into the pitch in front out came the full awning, followed by a domestic fridge, full size gas BBQ, 15kg gas bottle, two tables and 6 chairs and that was only part of the stuff.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I run my Motorhome with 200 to 300 kg of spare payload. :LOL:

Yes motorhomes are often over but not like caravans most owners don't have a clue they don't run with just a bit over, often 2 or 3 times their payload.

That's a very bold comment.

Can you provide any evidence to support it? Other than anecdote or Facebook?

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Or they have those awful toilets integrated into the shower stuffed in a broom cupboard with a flip down sink,no no no not for us

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The broad definition between a motorhome and a Campervan is the loo and shower.
so where do panel van conversions fit in.. ?

our PVC has all the facilities of a motorhome, shower, loo, fridge, et all but generally called a campervan ?

On the V5 our PVC is classed as a Motor Caravan... same classification as a Motorhome or Campervan

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
See my post #124 above.

I did see that post but let's be honest it doesn't actually support what you said about 'most' caravanners.

Or the amounts they overload by.

I've seen well overloaded motorhomes with gawd knows what hanging off back racks but that doesn't mean most motorhomers are as daft.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I did see that post but let's be honest it doesn't actually support what you said about 'most' caravanners.

Or the amounts they overload by.

I've seen well overloaded motorhomes with gawd knows what hanging off back racks but that doesn't mean most motorhomers are as daft.
When we were tuggers saw loads like that all over Europe it wasn't just one off it's very common. I did a spell working in the industry for 10 years and I can assure yu even in the UK overloading caravans is very common.
You only need to look at the figures a typical single axle Swift has a payload of around 110 to 130 kg. Most caravaners carry their awnings in the van that's around 50 kg, add spare wheel 30 kg, gas bottles 30kg, tables & chairs 10kg, 2 x e bikes 60kg, BBQ 5 kg. That's before you add any bedding, clothes, food, water, tools etc.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
I also have found this thread interesting. I couldn't go for a caravan as I don't fancy towing especially when we have to get in and out of our village on a single track road, also our drive would be impossible to park the caravan.

Management and I do, however discuss frequently about downsizing to a PVC but can't get over the lack of space for outside table and chairs etc. I also know she wouldn't like bedding stacked up at back of PVC or a fixed bed as it would, we think make it feel too cramped. However all the other aspects of of a PVC could work for us and I do like the Swift Carrera.

We have a 7.8m MHome but I think we need to go smaller but can't quite resolve the issue.

We are however at Brownhills on Tuesday......... ha but we are indecisive 😭😭😭😭

Just remember for those of you advising Bobnick on PVCs..... he doesn't like, Woooooosh Bang😁😁😁😁

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Yes but can be up to 7,5m long & getting on for well over 2,5m in height so not any use if you wish to use car parks with height barriers

The normal used to be a normal roofed (H1) van ( T4,5 & 6 etc) with an elevating roof which means it would enter under height barriers in to car parks. Now days you can get H2, 3 & 4 height vans & with 'pop' tops= elevating roofs which will not enter car parks

It encompasses everything from factory built to self converted
Hi Gus
Misread your post.
Think I CAN look at H1 type vans (T4/5/6) as with a pop-top they should (?) go under most (?) Car park height barriers of an open air type, but obviously would check every situation and VERY accurately measure the vans height with new roof fitted.
Back to original search then, but think I will be looking at vans of early manufacture, unless you know when H1 roofed vans were/ are made?
Ta v.much.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Well well well.
First off i have to say how interesting.
Second, i was expecting a lot of bias on a motorhome thread, i am not disapointed.
I don't mind towing, i am towing a twin axle now.
I have no issue reversing with trailer/caravan (motor movers do the caravan bit)
I have hired and towed a caravan many years ago.
We carry very little so payload would not be an isse.
Downsize is not really an option for us.
Upsize neither.
Would NOT have a awning thing other than a wind out so erecting, dismantling don't come into it.
Taxi hiring when at site don't work, we have tried it, ditto hireing, we have done it, PITA.
We already have a 4x4 (no tow bar on it)
Mentioned so many times we prefer not to use Aires/stells etc but have done and will/would again.
Having BOTH, ie a caravan with suitable vehicle to tow, AND a PVC, small MH cannot be ruled out.
Other points will come back to me.
Thanks for a interesting thread and comments and suggestions.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I also have found this thread interesting. I couldn't go for a caravan as I don't fancy towing especially when we have to get in and out of our village on a single track road, also our drive would be impossible to park the caravan.

Management and I do, however discuss frequently about downsizing to a PVC but can't get over the lack of space for outside table and chairs etc. I also know she wouldn't like bedding stacked up at back of PVC or a fixed bed as it would, we think make it feel too cramped. However all the other aspects of of a PVC could work for us and I do like the Swift Carrera.

We have a 7.8m MHome but I think we need to go smaller but can't quite resolve the issue.

We are however at Brownhills on Tuesday......... ha but we are indecisive 😭😭😭😭

Just remember for those of you advising Bobnick on PVCs..... he doesn't like, Woooooosh Bang😁😁😁😁
Got one next to us now in Campello, oh joy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We are 7.5m and are downsizing to a 6.67m Carthago Compactline only 2.12m wide so hardly any bigger than PVC. Huge garage loads of under floor storage far more than our 7.5m Hymer and being an A Class plenty of room inside.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
On your way in 5 mins? You haven't seen us motorhoming. At least 2 hours on the day packing away vital necessities which don't include those packed the previous day. As soon as we start somebody has to be said goodbye to and a long chat about where we are going and where they've been. It was quicker when we had a caravan and I had to get back for work.
We are the same. I am always told "right we need to be ready in an hour" and it ALWAYS takes minimum 2 hours.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i am towing a twin axle now.
Loved my twin axle Lunar... daughter is now 24

towed this rig all over France and Spain..

sold it to buy a motorhome ..still not sure it was a good move ... lol

IMG_0425.jpeg

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Not from what I have seen, a couple of years ago we spent a few days on a site. Caravan pulled into the pitch in front out came the full awning, followed by a domestic fridge, full size gas BBQ, 15kg gas bottle, two tables and 6 chairs and that was only part of the stuff.
Yes we stopped for a cup of tea and finished unpacking has it was getting dark around 10.30pm

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have had dark thought like this myself a few times🤔🤔looking back on our 12 weeks+ a year away for the last 3 years we have stopped on sites for more than 4 days about 3 times and normally Stellplatz and aires for a few night here and there.
Looking at our pattern I have concludes that the M/H works for us.
Not worried about a car as us and the 2 rabid Jack Russell’s are happy to use trains and buses, think you see a lot more😁😁

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Loved my twin axle Lunar... daughter is now 24

towed this rig all over France and Spain..

sold it to buy a motorhome ..still not sure it was a good move ... lol

View attachment 876526

In our early days we always aspired to a Delta. We did manage a Disco 300tdi though.

Did your Delta have the axle that could be raised for manouverbility? They used from memory a hydraulic pump sited possibly in the front locker.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
hink I CAN look at H1 type vans (T4/5/6) as with a pop-top they should (?) go under most (?) Car park height barriers of an open air type, but obviously would check every situation and VERY accurately measure the vans height with new roof fitted.
yes normal roofed vans or with pop tops are 2m or under.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume he is shocked at the thought of being in one location for that amount of time ... Same here, my idea of hell. 😱

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back