Motorhome v Caravan. (2 Viewers)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
But you don't know what you are missing Geoff ;) you know you want to really :unsure:

Martin

I think I have learned enough of what I am missing about Caravans, PVCs, Campervans etc. from this thread, and it is not pretty! :LOL:

My only brain-racking from here would be island bed, two-door garage, chassis, engine gearbox, 8-9m length, then N&B, Morelo, Concorde etc.

But then I would be on the phone to you every week for your considerable knowledge in that range. Don't worry chum we are still happy with our Arto.:LOL:

Geoff

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
that's rubbish , many french campsites are open for a lot longer than 2 months
ACSI list multiple camping sites open for at least 6 months of the year usually from the end April onwards and there are some open all year round
There are hundreds of camp sites for all camping styles open 12 months of the year, both in the UK and in Europe. Just do some research and you will find them. I find it’s better if you stay at sites for 2-3 nights and Aires for 1 night, this gives you the opportunity to chill out for at least a day. Get to see the area a little, drink without driving and get a good nights sleep.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
An interesting and thought provoking thread which has reinforced my view that a Motorhome wins hands down! 🤣

We have an XL Motorhome, very big garage and great payload together with a motor-scooter and e-bikes (all in garage, no trailer) gives us the best of all worlds. Accepted I can’t park in some places you’d park a PVC, but you’d be surprised where you can drive a big rig. I can park on almost all aires/sites and it suits both touring and static parking approaches.

This EU trip we have spent 3.5 months touring, 26 stops, we are currently ‘over wintering’ and static on a site for four months, then off touring again and fishing on lakes for a week or two at a time…

So one Motorhome package is good for:
Aires - one or a few nights
Off site stops - one or a few nights
Single nights on campsite
Several nights and up to four months on campsite
Wild camping next to a lake for one - two weeks
Rallying in UK

When parked (in any of the above ways) we can get anywhere in a 50-60km (kind of a self imposed limit when two up) radius on the scooter at Motorway+ speeds, we can saunter around locally on e-bikes, we can walk and use public transportation. Longer runs out we hire a mid size car in Spain for c. €25 per day. We also have a toad when in UK, but TBH, I can see us not bringing this with us moving forward.

We caravaned for 23 years and this is our first Motorhome which we have had for just over four years. IMHO the MoHo wins hands down for all types of touring with our configuration.. (for us at least)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
There are hundreds of camp sites for all camping styles open 12 months of the year, both in the UK and in Europe. Just do some research and you will find them. I find it’s better if you stay at sites for 2-3 nights and Aires for 1 night, this gives you the opportunity to chill out for at least a day. Get to see the area a little, drink without driving and get a good nights sleep.
I’m aware of that hence my reply contradicting shrimp’s post stating that most sites in France only had a 2 month season

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
We've never seen the point of any "which type is best" discussions as it's ALWAYS a case of "Each to their own".

We both have medical conditions that mean having ultra-quick access to toilet facilities is an absolute MUST. for us ...

We have the 6m Tardis-Too ex-bus that I'm currently rebuilding the interior to make a layout more suited to us, and which is great for longer distance/periods away

... and a disabilty 1.9 JTD Doblo high-roof with "clip-in onto Unwin tracking" fittings which is good for a quick day or two semi-locally ..... with the added bonus that when we take out the camper-fittings, we have a transit sized van with roof-rack for our day-to-day vehicle.

... and my Lad has a very rare 1979 Swedish "Polar 300" caravan he picked up for a few hundred quid a few years ago, and which looks very much like a "shuttle" from the original Star Trek series and definitely looks cool in its original polished-silk-aluminium dimpled-skin, and even has it's own onboard wet-radiator central heating system (= magic for UK winters) ..... You can read more about them here :- https://buyvintage1.wordpress.com/1980-polar-300-caravan-swedish-vgc-ready-to-use/

... Or if we want something mid-way between the Tardis-Too & the Doblo, we beg, borrow, or steal my lad's Polar-300 and hook it up to the Doblo.

That way, we have the best of all three worls .... and the entire lot together have cost us less than 10 Grand Sterling in total over the past 12-years or so (including new Fittings/Equipment/Solar/Etc)

SJD POLAR 300 = _ _ _ PHOTO 02.jpg

SJD POLAR 300 = _ _ _ PHOTO 01.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In our early days we always aspired to a Delta. We did manage a Disco 300tdi though.

Did your Delta have the axle that could be raised for manouverbility? They used from memory a hydraulic pump sited possibly in the front locker.
yes it did, it made it a lot easier to turn when manhandling..

as far as I know it was the only double axle van with that feature ..

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Have had dark thought like this myself a few times🤔🤔looking back on our 12 weeks+ a year away for the last 3 years we have stopped on sites for more than 4 days about 3 times and normally Stellplatz and aires for a few night here and there.
Looking at our pattern I have concludes that the M/H works for us.
Not worried about a car as us and the 2 rabid Jack Russell’s are happy to use trains and buses, think you see a lot more😁😁
having done both ourselfs, ie buses, trains, taxis etc etc i have to disagree about seeing more, but as it's always said on here each to their own.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Why do some people assume because one has a car in tow one does not walk.
Most of the sites we have been on have been a good distance from anywhere of interest. So we take the car to those places of interest and walk. This trip on a daily basis we have walked as many as 10/12 miles in the day.
Some days having the car one car visit 2/3 places many many Ks away to WALK around and look. Sometimes on mountainous roads, we don't want to be doing them at 75 on bicycles. haven't you heard roads are full of dangerous car drivers and bicycles are not safe around them:LOL::cool:
AND
why do some assume that because you may have a caravan you have to have one of those big daft plastic houses/awnings everytime you get to site. As i said we would have nothing but a wind out (may even be electric) awnings. It's enough for us.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
that's rubbish , many french campsites are open for a lot longer than 2 months
ACSI list multiple camping sites open for at least 6 months of the year usually from the end April onwards and there are some open all year round
This is why I don’t very often post, as I usually get shot down!

Jun 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 275
The first question is how much do you actually use the toad? If not a lot then simply use taxis etc when away.

A caravan does have some advantage over a MH in that you have the car to use but towing a caravan for thousands of miles would likely become very tiresome and restrictive so could easily be much less pleasant than a MH.

A smaller more manoeuvrable and parkable vehicle such as a PVC or Carthago Compact line i-138 which is only a few cms wider and longer than an extra lwb Fiat PVC gives you all the benefits of a MH so no compromising as you do with a PVC, it's why we got ours.
I think I definitely qualified to answer your question as we’ve had caravans since 1980. However we changed to a Motorhome in 2010. We changed back to a caravan back in 2016 then back to a Motorhome in 2022. I get asked on a regular basis which is best caravan or Motorhome? The answer is they both have there pros and cons and I always answer what are you using it for!!! With a caravan you have the convenience of transport once on site. As we go away for the winter we require transport and was fined for towing a car on a A frame in Spain. However a Motorhome engine stand idle for months whilst on site. So l always reply there isn’t a better one they both have their advantages and it all boils down to your use. If you are touring say two nights here and there then a Motorhome is the best as they are so much easier to drive. But if you are planning to stay on a site for 90 days then a caravan is your best choice.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
Get a caravan and spend an hour trying to reverse it onto a pitch, getting all the crap out of the van, setting up the awning, falling out with the Mrs in the poring rain, giving the gongoozlering motorhomers some fun watching your antics, decide the day after you don't like the site, spend an hour getting down wet awnings and soaking wet carpets putting them in the van with a sulking Mrs then hitching up and driving off only to find next site full or keep the motorhome or upgrade it to a Flair, Concorde or Morello and keep a car in the boot space. With a motorhome its easy, don't like where you are, on your way in less than 5 mins and much cheaper options for overnighting, cheaper ferries, lane 3 of the motorway, higher speed limits on national roads, easier to park up :reel:
I really don't know why people think that caravans have to have awnings. Why, when their is much more room in a caravan than an equivalent sized motorhome? I only use the awning if I'm staying for more than 5 days.

I can set my caravan up nearly as quick as when I had my Pilote, I have EP jacks and steadies for auto self levelling, an onboard water tank, a 10 litre bucket for the waste, Camos 360 camera so reversing on to a pitch is a doddle. Turn up at the pitch, un-hitch the car, plug in the electrics and then watch the motorhomers trying to drive/reverse onto ramps to level the van.

I also have a comfortable quiet car to get me to the campsite and then get around when I'm there. I have comfortable seats in the caravan and not sitting in what is basically a drivers seat turned round.

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
I really don't know why people think that caravans have to have awnings. Why, when their is much more room in a caravan than an equivalent sized motorhome? I only use the awning if I'm staying for more than 5 days.

I can set my caravan up nearly as quick as when I had my Pilote, I have EP jacks and steadies for auto self levelling, an onboard water tank, a 10 litre bucket for the waste, Camos 360 camera so reversing on to a pitch is a doddle. Turn up at the pitch, un-hitch the car, plug in the electrics and then watch the motorhomers trying to drive/reverse onto ramps to level the van.

I also have a comfortable quiet car to get me to the campsite and then get around when I'm there. I have comfortable seats in the caravan and not sitting in what is basically a drivers seat turned round.
This all sounds great, and was close to our thinking when we were wondering wether to buy a bigger MoHo or switch to a caravan.

The one problem we encountered was that the caravan doesn’t have storage equivalent to a MoHo garage so where do you store stuff in a caravan that would normally be stored in a MoHo garage, if it doesn’t have an awning?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Exactly the same.Also I'd want a decent sized caravan and then I can't help but think of "travellers". I'd also have to change my car (which I love) to a 4x4

Some thoughts about the way Net Zero 2050 will affect motorhome-v-caravan choices. Also, whether the larger and heavier twin axle caravans can remain an option for touring in the longer term. They may end up as statics, on seasonal pitches.

If you factor in a BEV 4x4 (eventually the norm for caravanning after 2035) they are ridiculously expensive to buy new, and yet their limited towing capacity makes them suitable only for small to mid-size caravans. Some large BEVs make motorhomes seem relatively cheap.

Right now, BEVs as a tow car are strictly for the zealots and one or two Youtuber caravanning journalists. Having to unhitch the caravan in order to put the tow car on a public charger because charging bays aren't designed for caravanners is one example of the impracticality you would face. Few campsites have installed fast chargers, yet, so you need to go off site to find a public charger. Towing drastically reduces range. It will be a long time before BEV tow cars can be regarded as better than a diesel ICE 4x4 for caravanning. Until then, the ICE Motorhome also has advantages. Likewise, I think we will have a long wait until there are affordable bigger EV motorhomes.

The affordable and practical motorhome-v-caravan choices are going to be ICE for the foreseeable, future unless and until EVs can catch up. If they ever do.

That's interesting as did not know that ' pop top ' roofs would struggle under normal height barriers, but I suppose it makes sense, as they have in effect , heightened the normal roof.
Was/ am? originally looking at T4/T5/T6 'pop-top' conversions.
Search starts again. :ROFLMAO:

Height barriers tend to be either 1.8m (typical multi-storey car park height restriction) or 2.0m.

My previous Westy T4 was 1.98m high so no trouble limbo-ing under a 2m barrier. You have to check, because many T5 and T6 camper conversions are above 2m height. They need a slimline elevating roof and/or lowered suspension to make more places and car parks accessible.

Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
This all sounds great, and was close to our thinking when we were wondering wether to buy a bigger MoHo or switch to a caravan.

The one problem we encountered was that the caravan doesn’t have storage equivalent to a MoHo garage so where do you store stuff in a caravan that would normally be stored in a MoHo garage, if it doesn’t have an awning?
Luckily there is just the two of us so when we travel we fold the seats down in the C Class estate and have a payload of more than 300kg plus about 90 kg in the van taking into account the onboard water tank, gas bottles, EP hydraulics, etc

When we pitch up the caravan has a lot of stowage under the island bed and saloon seating

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Why does life have to revolve around Aires/stelplatz etc when in Europe.
Nothing wrong with campsites even for one night.

Agreed. In low season in France there is not much pitch price difference, maybe a couple of Euros per night including 10A EHU, between an actual Municipal campsite with friendly human beings in Reception, sometimes including an on-site bar / restaurant, and free swimming pool, and an unmanned former Municipal campsite operated by CCP, where you have to deal with an impersonal and sometimes wayward machine to get in. I know which I would prefer.
Agr

Agree. The trevelling community favour them.
Why some campsites ban twin axle caravans.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Someone I know, last year between Motorhomes he borrowed their sons large twin axle caravan, he did nothing but moan about the lack of storage. Seeing what he had put in it he was easily 3 times over the payload.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Someone I know, last year between Motorhomes he borrowed their sons large twin axle caravan, he did nothing but moan about the lack of storage. Seeing what he had put in it he was easily 3 times over the payload.
We towed with a Shogun which was ideal for carrying the tandem and putting in awnings etc etc, a bit like a garage treally, the other advantage of that is that it keeps some weight in the tow vehicle rather than the caravan.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Going down that route at the moment for me a caravan imo needs far less payload than a motorhome, no passengers, no fuel , no awning, just carry fridge/freezer contents, food, crocs and pans, clothes and odds and sods then the heavy stuff beer/wine cooler , chairs, table, a few tools etc go in the back of the towcar.
After using a 3500kg A Class knowing I’m on the limit I will feel much easier in that respect towing a caravan which will be well within the limit.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Why does life have to revolve around Aires/stelplatz etc when in Europe.
Nothing wrong with campsites even for one night.
Agreed , I’ve had my fill of the "crammed in like sardines because it free" aires .
Far rather have some space on a site with EHU and a grass pitch irrespective of the cost .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back