Motorhome v Caravan. (3 Viewers)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
On this trip are assessing if Motorhoming is what we want out of a holiday/passtime.
Last couple of trips we have/are towing a twin axle trailer with a car on.
We don't/won't do bikes, peddle or part peddle electric.
We don't, try not to do buses/trains and the like.
We do walk a good bit (country/mountain roads with no pavements are nerve racking).
We do like the camp site life/vibe.
I do like the driving to and from countries/places. The more miles the better.
At the mo on this trip we think it's 51% give up motorhoming and 49% continue. By the end of this trip who knows.
Then we got to thinking and talking last night why don't we give a CARAVAN a go for a year to give it a sample.
Thinking again pros v cons. We have come up with a few in favour that would SUIT US.
So may i ask..........................i know it's a motorhome forum.............thoughts from your goodselfs that have gone either way MH to Caravan visa versa.
If we were to go the other way i promise from the bottom of my heart i will not mention the C word again.

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
If you do touring in Europe you would lose access to the Aires/Stellplatz etc as from what I have seen they don’t allow caravans. That might restrict your options? I can understand the use of the tow car is a big plus though. In the uk a caravan could be the better option.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
If you do touring in Europe you would lose access to the Aires/Stellplatz etc as from what I have seen they don’t allow caravans. That might restrict your options? I can understand the use of the tow car is a big plus though. In the uk a caravan could be the better option.
We have noticed the use of aires/stells and the like towing the car trailer. It is know on here we try to avoid them anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
You sound like a closet Caravanner!! Completely opposite to us - who enjoy the touring nature of a motorhome, dislike campsites and use electric bikes to get places. Although we agree on the walking!

While it would be nice to have a car in tow I really couldn't be bothered with the cost/hassle.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Does it really matter? Both options give you the chance to get out and about and enjoy life. There are advantages and disadvantages for each of them, but it's your choice to make based on your personal 'needs/wants'.

How about a narrow boat ....? Lol

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
You sound like a closet Caravanner!! Completely opposite to us - who enjoy the touring nature of a motorhome, dislike campsites and use electric bikes to get places. Although we agree on the walking!

While it would be nice to have a car in tow I really couldn't be bothered with the cost/hassle.
The touring side of thinks is the one thing i really enjoy. This is why we rarely stop on a site more than a one two or three nights. And maybe thats one reason NOT to go for caravan.
Yet to find it a hassle (some use faff) loading unloading towing a car.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Does it really matter? Both options give you the chance to get out and about and enjoy life. There are advantages and disadvantages for each of them, but it's your choice to make based on your personal 'needs/wants'.

How about a narrow boat ....? Lol
Done the narrow boat and love it, but no.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Get a caravan and spend an hour trying to reverse it onto a pitch, getting all the crap out of the van, setting up the awning, falling out with the Mrs in the poring rain, giving the gongoozlering motorhomers some fun watching your antics, decide the day after you don't like the site, spend an hour getting down wet awnings and soaking wet carpets putting them in the van with a sulking Mrs then hitching up and driving off only to find next site full or keep the motorhome or upgrade it to a Flair, Concorde or Morello and keep a car in the boot space. With a motorhome its easy, don't like where you are, on your way in less than 5 mins and much cheaper options for overnighting, cheaper ferries, lane 3 of the motorway, higher speed limits on national roads, easier to park up :reel:

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Going through a similar scenario ourselves but we don't tow a car with our motorhome.
Tend to stay put once on site and explore the area on foot or by bus/ train/ taxi or whatever.
Our problem I have found is, once we leave our site pitch, our motorhome restricts where we can park it when going out for the day, due to height barriers or the general negative bias towards motorhome parking in some areas.
When we had our caravan, we of course had a vehicle to go exploring in, but it did become a faff bringing the caravan home and then getting it on the drive whilst trying not to block a fairly busy road.
The motorhome of course does not cause this issue as its easier to move.
With this in mind, we are going to look at a PVC option as it combines the ability to use the van as a daily vehicle also when not holidaying, plus is more acceptable for parking anywhere as its smaller and basically, just a van with windows.
A small awning or gazebo will be used for extra space when on site, and I realise that this format is more of a hybrid mode between motorhoming, caravanning and camping.
Our use though is only UK, and as we can now only get away occasionally either for days out or short holidays, our current motorhome could spend upto 48 weeks a year going only for a quick run to keep stuff moving, whereas a pvc would be my daily vehicle and would be used for both options.
It would also mean we can go from 3 taxed vehicles to 2 ( sell my car,sell current motorhome, Mrs YP keeps her car and I have the van).
Quick back of a fag packet calculation on our part doing this idea has shown that the motorhome, which we fully own and is paid for, is costing about £80 to 100 per month to just stand idle ( calculated from tax,insurance,yearly mot,yearly service,yearly hab service etc and a small amertised cost for replacements of consumables etc).
For us, whilst going back to a caravan would suit perfectly for space, but cause possible issues with getting back to the drive and parking, but would again be idle for long periods, the PVC option seems to have several merits , but for us only.
I wish you well in your decisions.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Get a caravan and spend an hour trying to reverse it onto a pitch, getting all the crap out of the van, setting up the awning, falling out with the Mrs in the poring rain, giving the gongoozlering motorhomers some fun watching your antics, decide they day after you don't like the site, spend an hour getting down wet awnings and soaking wet carpets putting them in the van with a sulking Mrs then hitching up and driving off only to find next site full or keep the motorhome or upgrade it to a Flair, Concorde or Morello and keep a car in the boot space. With a motorhome its easy, don't like where you are, on your way in less than 5 mins and much cheaper options for overnighting, cheaper ferries, lane 3 of the motorway, higher speed limits on national roads, easier to park up
Having caravanned for quite a few years previously I don't really recognise your observation of what happens on sites when arriving, setting up or departing.
In wet weather, yes , one occupant has to do the outside stuff to get the van steady before all the rest can access it, but surely its all about organisation and teamwork and how you have loaded your van for ease of access to the essentials you will need one arrived ( water, waste, and ehu cable and leg winder).
But more importantly, how much clobber you are actually carting around with you that you don't need, and if staying on a site for more than a few days, does the awning have to go up in the rain, or can it wait until the next day?
And as for entertaining the gawking motorhomers, or other bystanders, let them watch and be smug.
I bet not one comes out to offer a hand if you are struggling.
Some of the caravanners might, and the campers also.
Personally I could not give a stuff what other people think when I get on site and go to set up, and if all they have to worry about in their lives is sniggering at other campers, they must have very sad lives.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Similar situation to what we were several years back
We had a large van with a toad, then ditched the toad as it was a pain, we then got a Vespa for the motorhome garage which was great & suited most scenarios but wasn't the most comfortable if we went on very long trips away from the mother ship so had this crazy notion of downsizing to a pvc and..... it was the best move we ever made! you can stay on any Aires or sites you like, wild camp whenever you want, and drive & park in towns & cities and drive & tour about virtually anywhere you like, and I'll be honest after ditching all the crap we never used in the big vans I wondered why I never made the move years ago, we have a 6.4 Carthago Malibu real quality wee van & the storage & payload are phenomenal for such a small van, and of course you've your bike rack, tow bar etc if you ever did want to add stuff on
Of course may not be ideal for everyone but has really worked brilliantly for us 👍

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Don't think the argument of setting up (rain or shine is valid ,the same applies to a MH if you carry an awning and van full of stuff.
We've had both,but against logic prefer the van.
MH. more expensive (tax MOT insurance)
Less user friendly for exploring once you reach a site
Sure your aware of all the negatives
Main advantage we prefer the van
So I think all the advice thoughts of others are irrelevant ,it comes down to what you prefer
after all neither are essential for life,we do it because we want to

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Done both and enjoy both .. and have toured with both in the UK and Europe, France, Spain and Germany

my conclusion

If you want to tour abroad... motorhome trumps the caravan simply for being able to use aires.. sites in France have a very short season.. Easter - end of August or September.

If you want to have holidays in the UK .. caravan

Ideally, I would have both..

have never found a caravan a hassle to either tow or pitch up.. a motor-mover makes it child's play to manoeuvre onto a tight pitch

my last caravan was a Hymer Nova and it was great.. had some great holidays in the UK ..

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Could you downsize to a pvc. If you don't need storage for bikes it may be a good compromise, and small enough to use for day trips or shopping trips whilst away?
As I eluded to in my post but as an observation I noticed something interesting a few weeks ago.
Popped into Brownhills at Newark to look at PVC's.( I am talking campervan type now, with pop top roof and folding beds/ seats, so basic van size) and they only had 3 for sale.
They had no new ones but a fair few unregistered PVC's but of the much bigger variety, ie bathroom, jacuzzi, sauna, dishwasher etc ( you get the picture) :LOL:
What they did have was a LOT of motorhomes of the conventional coachbuilt type, mostly used but some new.
When I asked about sales generally I was told that the ones moving fastest were the pop-top type campervans, as there seemed to be a trend towards people moving away from traditional motorhomes.
It could be a price thing, or a space thing, or maybe people have realised how much it REALLY costs to have a motorhome sat idle for long periods, when their are other modes to outdoor adventures which can be a better use of finite resources.
Just my thoughts.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
The touring side of thinks is the one thing i really enjoy. This is why we rarely stop on a site more than a one two or three nights. And maybe thats one reason NOT to go for caravan.
Yet to find it a hassle (some use faff) loading unloading towing a car.
We caravanned for 20+ years. Fine whilst we had kids and stayed on one site for a week. When we retired and toured more the convenience and the simplicity of a Motorhome were obvious to us. We wouldn’t go back to a caravan.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Been a caravaner, now a Motorhomer. Don’t use sites much but when we do and we pull in next to the caravan next door setting up and we’ve set up, had a cup of tea, walked the dog for an hour and come back to chill to see them still setting up I’m glad I swapped.

Nov 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria
A year ago we switched from a MH to a caravan. We had the MH for 3 years, loved it. But my OH has mobility issues that are probably only going to get worse. We need a car when we arrive on a site. Both options have positives and negatives.

First it doesn't take me much longer to set the caravan up on a site than the MH. I'd say 10 minutes more.

Second if you have a motor mover the issue of reversing it in goes away. We can turn and position the caravan easily.

We have much more room in the caravan. We were meant to buy a small one, but I had a deaf moment at that point in the discussion 🤣.

My OH did a one to one 4 hour towing course which was well worth it.

We dropped the cost of one vehicle tax etc as we just have the towing car.

I accept what everyone says about Aires, but we've always used sites here and abroad. So for us it makes no difference, but when we are away we have the car.

Maybe hire a caravan and tow car to get a feel for whether it works for you.

We loved the MH but sometimes you just have to adapt. Good luck in your decision making.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Been a caravaner, now a Motorhomer. Don’t use sites much but when we do and we pull in next to the caravan next door setting up and we’ve set up, had a cup of tea, walked the dog for an hour and come back to chill to see them still setting up I’m glad I swapped.
and the rush is.... ?

it's not a competition

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We had a campervan and then a motorhome for years, we used to tow a trailer with a Harley. After we had to stop towing the bike (dogs) we didn't like having to pack everything away to drive anywhere. Also we do sometimes stay on a site for a week or two and a Moho has to be driven to fill/empty. We took a chance and got a caravan, because we stay on sites, we like to put out chairs and tables, we have found the caravan suits us better. When we got the caravan I did a towing course and reverse onto most pitches if it's not possible I use the mover. There's a bit more faff setting up a caravan but not much, these days caravans can have self levelling the same as a Moho the water and waste have to be set up but a Moho has to be filled and emptied. Once set up we have the car for transport. We do have an awning but only use it if we are staying for a week, there's a lot more room in our caravan than we had in the Moho. The only thing I'm not sure about is touring abroad. Because we have caring responsibilities now we haven't been abroad since the switch.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Had both.
Some views of caravanners on here are a bit distored.
Not everyone needs the awning, carpet etc to have to put back inside wet when moving on - that excuse is probably the same for any motorhome owner who has a pop up tent or inflatable awning with groundsheet.
The main differences are having a car at your destination or not.
Some will say buy a Fiat 500 and tow it - more cost and you may as well have a Caravan.
Some will say a motorhome gives you more freedom and less hassle for touring - I agree. It’s also quicker to set up camp, although the times of pushing a caravan into a pitch are gone as most now have a motor mover fitted.
It all depends on what your holiday plans are and whether you will be staying put or moving on after a night in my view. Take into account depreciation, up keep costs such as tax, insurance and mot to off set against the number of times you use it.
Buying a Morelo and small car to stick in the boot is dreamland to some but reality for the few.

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
We had a Hymer motor home and loved it.
Then we found we were stopping on on site for a week or more and hiring a car to get around.
Swapped to a large Hymer Nova caravan with motor movers and had no problem pitching up in minutes, or getting onto the drive.
Nice bit was levelling up with the jockey wheel instead of ramps.
Decided we weren't being spontaneous enough and swapped to a Rapido A Class.
Not as much room and comfort as the caravan, but we did the Outer Hebrides and would have struggled on the ferries with a large caravan.

So horses for courses and well worth switching now and then to get the most out of both setups.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Done both large and small now have 6m pvc and a caravan with a daily used tow car use both for different holidays weekends 3 days pvc 2/3 weeks caravan can’t choose which is the best really so have both
Yes we could save a few pounds getting rid of one but probably 5years time will have given up both
Motor over on caravan saves a lot of hassle has for others watching our set up **** em
We did take the pvc towing the caravan around Scotland and Skye worked for us
Good luck with your choice can always change back

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
One thing we do miss is having the Moho for days out but we now have a MPV and have removed the rear seat and carry a porta potty, a fridge/freezer (12volt) and a single gas ring as well as a water container and a bowl. I would like to get a pop top on the car but can't justify the cost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back