Motorhome v Caravan. (6 Viewers)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Am i wrong in thinking that what one would normally carry in the garage of a MH you would carry in the back of your F-off big 4x4 that tows the caravan.
I know for sure what we carry now in our MH would certainly go in our Range Rover with space to spare.
We would leave the washing machine, dish washer, dryer, air fryer, full size vacume, air bed, surf boards, paddle boards, blah blah that we don't wouldn't use at home anyway.
I tow with a MPV , it's a 7 seater we take out the rear row of seats so we have plenty of space to carry all we need.

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Have you seen those campsites in places like Benidorm?

We did. Briefly. Very briefly.

I'm certainly not knocking the many hundreds of Brits who choose to do so, but I'd rather not.

Ever.

As I said earlier, that's not my idea of motorhoming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years

I'm certainly not knocking the many hundreds of Brits who choose to do so, but I'd rather not.

Ever.

That’s where I am now nice big pitches

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We got to Villasol Campsite yesterday afternoon.
Never been before.
I was amased at how big the pitches are. My 8mt MH,car AND trailer all on the pitch, Awning fully out when the sum was at it's peak, AND bags of room around. Hard standing pitches, water, grey drain, 20amp all on the pitch. Small hedge between pitches. Big cheap club house. Clean, very very well kept. Toilet block immaculate. Supermarket that would shame Lidle (well exagerated a little there, but you get the picture).
Could very easily spend a week 10 days here, but regretfully only doing 4.
Pleased.

Having said that, the site we were on in El-Campello for the two previous nights the pitches were very tight and ones neighbours were very close and NO i coud not live on that site for too long. However the neighbours were very very freindly and helpful when i needed assistance.....twice..........................another story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Oh and by the way, remember i told you my sister has lived in Benidorm for 15/16 years, i was wrong. She came to visit us on her chariot yesterday afternoon after we had pitched up (she only lives across the road) well she's lived here for 23 n arf years.
Where on earth does the time go.
She's going back into hospital on Friday late afternoon for a few more days for stuff only doctors understand. So picking up today to take her around, and a spot of lunch up top Altea.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Ever.

We've had some big pitches at Torreta 👌
Screenshot_20240319_220111_Gallery.jpg

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
On this trip are assessing if Motorhoming is what we want out of a holiday/passtime.
Last couple of trips we have/are towing a twin axle trailer with a car on.
We don't/won't do bikes, peddle or part peddle electric.
We don't, try not to do buses/trains and the like.
We do walk a good bit (country/mountain roads with no pavements are nerve racking).
We do like the camp site life/vibe.
I do like the driving to and from countries/places. The more miles the better.
At the mo on this trip we think it's 51% give up motorhoming and 49% continue. By the end of this trip who knows.
Then we got to thinking and talking last night why don't we give a CARAVAN a go for a year to give it a sample.
Thinking again pros v cons. We have come up with a few in favour that would SUIT US.
So may i ask..........................i know it's a motorhome forum.............thoughts from your goodselfs that have gone either way MH to Caravan visa versa.
If we were to go the other way i promise from the bottom of my heart i will not mention the C word again.
For reasons for another thread, we have a motorhome AND a caravan. The latter is a fairly up to date twin axle job and feels quite palacial compared to our 2019 6m motorhome. We use the moho for touring and the caravan if we intend to stay put for longer stays in one place, say a week or more. We have two dogs and cycling is not satisfactory. Finding parking on trips into towns can be a pain with the motorhome on a daily basis so the freedom of our caravan tow car is much better. We’ll be motorhoming in April and May and caravanning in July. Daytrips are lovely with the motorhome; a total non-starter with the caravan. It’s tricky and all very much about compromising. If I had to give up one, I think I’d rather keep the caravan but for the foreseeable future, we’re continuing to enjoy both.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just got renewal quote from Comfort. From £300 something to £740. So another nail in the proverbial maybe.
How much is caravan insurance though?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
For reasons for another thread, we have a motorhome AND a caravan. The latter is a fairly up to date twin axle job and feels quite palacial compared to our 2019 6m motorhome. We use the moho for touring and the caravan if we intend to stay put for longer stays in one place, say a week or more. We have two dogs and cycling is not satisfactory. Finding parking on trips into towns can be a pain with the motorhome on a daily basis so the freedom of our caravan tow car is much better. We’ll be motorhoming in April and May and caravanning in July. Daytrips are lovely with the motorhome; a total non-starter with the caravan. It’s tricky and all very much about compromising. If I had to give up one, I think I’d rather keep the caravan but for the foreseeable future, we’re continuing to enjoy both.
We also have both and use them in the same way as you describe and likewise when the time come’s the motorhome is history
We are lucky in the fact we have the space to keep both at home
IMG_3949.jpeg
IMG_0831.jpeg

Jun 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 275
Are you for real?
Each person to their own. The member asked a reasonable question Caravan v Motorhome and I answered as honest as possible. And you go off on a tangent about how long people should stay on site. If you can’t answer the question then keep your opinions to yourself. And this forum would be a lot better without people like you.

Nov 6, 2023
Lingfield RH7 6LE, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo it 720
Exp
Still newbie June 2022
Going through a similar scenario ourselves but we don't tow a car with our motorhome.
Tend to stay put once on site and explore the area on foot or by bus/ train/ taxi or whatever.
Our problem I have found is, once we leave our site pitch, our motorhome restricts where we can park it when going out for the day, due to height barriers or the general negative bias towards motorhome parking in some areas.
When we had our caravan, we of course had a vehicle to go exploring in, but it did become a faff bringing the caravan home and then getting it on the drive whilst trying not to block a fairly busy road.
The motorhome of course does not cause this issue as its easier to move.
With this in mind, we are going to look at a PVC option as it combines the ability to use the van as a daily vehicle also when not holidaying, plus is more acceptable for parking anywhere as its smaller and basically, just a van with windows.
A small awning or gazebo will be used for extra space when on site, and I realise that this format is more of a hybrid mode between motorhoming, caravanning and camping.
Our use though is only UK, and as we can now only get away occasionally either for days out or short holidays, our current motorhome could spend upto 48 weeks a year going only for a quick run to keep stuff moving, whereas a pvc would be my daily vehicle and would be used for both options.
It would also mean we can go from 3 taxed vehicles to 2 ( sell my car,sell current motorhome, Mrs YP keeps her car and I have the van).
Quick back of a fag packet calculation on our part doing this idea has shown that the motorhome, which we fully own and is paid for, is costing about £80 to 100 per month to just stand idle ( calculated from tax,insurance,yearly mot,yearly service,yearly hab service etc and a small amertised cost for replacements of consumables etc).
For us, whilst going back to a caravan would suit perfectly for space, but cause possible issues with getting back to the drive and parking, but would again be idle for long periods, the PVC option seems to have several merits , but for us only.
I wish you well in your decisions.
Is PVC tenting ??.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Just a thought about cheap accommodation don’t check the state of the mattress or the pillows
We used take our own pillows on the cruises

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Is PVC tenting ??.
Not really, but of the kind of pop-top or fixed top campervan we are thinking of, neither is it full motorhoming as it has no bathroom.
Hence my comparison to all 3 types of getting away.
The tenting bit comes from either a stand alone shelter thingy, or a permanent or drive-away awning where additional sleeping and living could be done.
Each to their own thoughts though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back