Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The first question is how much do you actually use the toad? If not a lot then simply use taxis etc when away.

A caravan does have some advantage over a MH in that you have the car to use but towing a caravan for thousands of miles would likely become very tiresome and restrictive so could easily be much less pleasant than a MH.

A smaller more manoeuvrable and parkable vehicle such as a PVC or Carthago Compact line i-138 which is only a few cms wider and longer than an extra lwb Fiat PVC gives you all the benefits of a MH so no compromising as you do with a PVC, it's why we got ours.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Pros & cons for both of course as illustrated in comments above & other similar threads. Personal circumstances & preferences change over time for many of us. We swapped to a caravan 2 years ago and haven't regretted it, only UK touring. Extra internal space is super as is car for outings.
It doesn't take us much longer to set up than it did in the MH. As for entertaining other campers, I just give them a smile & wave ;) :hi:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had same thoughts before opting for car trailer and motorhome reasoning being if you don’t need a car for any trip you can leave at home whereas you have no choice with the caravan. W e like to take our Panda 4x4 as we go out birding to some very remote areas where we could not take the van and as it is our everyday car it’s not standing around at home whilst we are away.
There are folk who say hire a car? Well we take our dog with us and hire companies don’t like pets in their vehicles.
Last but not least we like to have our own car and can afford to do it whilst there are folk who say it’s to much hassle and cost we don’t think it’s any more hassle or cost than a caravan and have never had a problem on any sites or Aires we have used.😊

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We were tuggers towing caravans for over 25 years, now had Motorhomes for 16 years would never want to go back to a caravan I found towing far too stressful. Towing a caravan is nothing like as easy as towing a trailer behind a large vehicle like a Motorhome.

A caravan is far to inconvenient for touring and what do you do in the winter when nearly all sites are closed like in France. And right pain having to set up every time you stop and then decamp the next morning.

Sites are often out of the way, where Aires are often on the edge or in the town.
We don't like sites anyway much prefer Aires or a nice wild spot.

The only difficulty we have found with a Motorhome is in the UK as it is so anti Motorhome. Using it in the UK is a pain so we don't bother much we have done a bit of wilding, we find it easier to drive 20 miles to the nearest ferry port, not everyone can do that but we can. 😊

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Guy I bought my awning from had both.
Where they were going determined which one they used.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After 20 years of RVs and Eurovans most of the time flat towing a car in U.K. but taking cycles on back in Europe we are now switching back to Caravanning , the Hymer is sold and goes tomorrow, a Swift Elegance will soon be ready for collection and a new Sportage hybrid is on a ship headed this way.
I will miss the Hymer it’s been a brilliant motorhome and a pleasure to drive but it now spends too much time sitting in the drive as our travelling habits have changed.
For us tow in U.K. no tow in Europe.

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
On this trip are assessing if Motorhoming is what we want out of a holiday/passtime.
Last couple of trips we have/are towing a twin axle trailer with a car on.
We don't/won't do bikes, peddle or part peddle electric.
We don't, try not to do buses/trains and the like.
We do walk a good bit (country/mountain roads with no pavements are nerve racking).
We do like the camp site life/vibe.
I do like the driving to and from countries/places. The more miles the better.
At the mo on this trip we think it's 51% give up motorhoming and 49% continue. By the end of this trip who knows.
Then we got to thinking and talking last night why don't we give a CARAVAN a go for a year to give it a sample.
Thinking again pros v cons. We have come up with a few in favour that would SUIT US.
So may i ask..........................i know it's a motorhome forum.............thoughts from your goodselfs that have gone either way MH to Caravan visa versa.
If we were to go the other way i promise from the bottom of my heart i will not mention the C word again.
I think there are a few basic questions to answer.
How long you will stay on each site
If it is more than 7 days on each site then caravan works
If you are going somewhere for that duration in inclement weather and need a car to get out and about then perhaps a caravan.
If you are “ wild camping” then no way a caravan.also the length of your Motorhome makes a big difference. If you have a camper van it’s another story
If you have a 6 m motorhome then again it’s more versatile. We have a 9 m motorhome and a caravan( but we keep the van on a seasonal uk pitch) that we no longer tow. Towing a caravan is a lot more problematic than a motorhome so for us the journey is part of the holiday, being higher up then the view is far more enjoyable, same goes for when you get on a pitch with a good view!
Everyone is different!

I

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
We have switched a few times over the years since 1972 when we started with a Dormobile. Today 76 and 79, with poor legs and osteoporosis, and with a motorhome. We embrace the liberation of two wheels. Two leccy bikes one of which is a conversion and the other as sold. Suits us well as we spend as much of winter on a camp site in Spain. Also tow a 3m long box trailer with a diy motorbike and sidecar inside, plus safari room stuff and camping clutter. The driving seating and view from any camper based on a 3500 kg van is far superior to any car. Our last caravan experiment was a Swift Challenger behind a Landrover Discovery. We loaded the caravan like we do the camper and going over the Alps the caravan half of the towing hitch split down both sides. We dumped the water tank, rearanged the clutter to get zero nose weight and nursed the rig down to Agde where the coupling was removed, welded up and plated painted and refitted. Once home the caravan was sold and we bought an old bus that I converted.
Once you give up things you are unlikely ever to go back. Every time we missed a motorhome, we have never missed any caravan. Mind you travel insurance costs a bomb.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Arriving and departing is so much easier with a motorhome. If it isn't too big (>6.5M and slim) it can still be parked in many places. A motorhome can go about three days without needing any external supply (water/elec/waste). Lots more places where you can stop overnight (Yes, even in UK). Walking is good for you. A motorhome can be used as a 'day van' with all the facilities available. Continent - no brainer. UK - bit more marginal. If you have children, I think it definitely swings more towards a caravan. Ultimate - Morelo +runabout. Realistically - small is beautiful.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
years ago we were planning on buying a caravan, having towed horse trailers we felt confident that towing was ok. We borrowed a friend’s caravan for a test run - they live in France so we went to the Isle de Re with it. Towing on the motorway long distance wasn’t the best. By the time we had circumnavigated the narrow streets of the isle de re and got to the campsite we had decided we were definitely not getting a caravan 😂 Wanted a motorhome but couldn’t afford it so bought a boxer van and self converted it. Love going away in the van!

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
I started with a caravan, loved parking it up, setting up and the life style, towing though was a pain as was loading and unloading. But I had some fantastic times and do not regret any if it. Then I bought a Moho, loved everything except making a French bed! Dammed annoying thing, who ever invented that style of bed needs guillotining, (joke) disclaimer: I would not guillotine anyone). Had the most amazing 3 years, but found Britain was not suited to me for MoHos. Weather too wet, hard to get public transport, campsites too far from attractions. From the Autotrail chyanne 660 EB. Went to a Villa. Love it, still got it. Missed the Moho so much got a panel val 5.99 metres CV40, great but too small, always bumping into things and making up a bed a real pain. Then got an island bed Kontiki, it’s perfect, what I learned was use park and rides, gets you into town easy, park on bus routes, catch a bus there and back. There are many places to safely park up during the day or evening. If you check local tram and train services, they have parking for vans and trucks..
with a little planning you can get into towns and villages or to attractions.
A perfect example is Benidorm. Park at Finestrat Carrefour catch the bus for €1.50 each way, eat, drink be merry. Sleep over in the carpark if you drank too much. Or park up 09.00, catch the bus in, sunbath, swim, eat, drink non alcohol and drive back to your site. Most attractions do not have height barriers for parking mohos. And so many villages in France have free Aires. So even if on a site, you can visit villages and towns. Thousands of them. So for me, a Moho over a caravan or camper. But everyone is different, do what you think is best for you.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Think I'm changing my van for a new pvc this year, had a caravan years ago and although we loved it I wouldn't go back because I like using the aires, and also would need a big car.

A motorcycle on the back is perfect for getting out and about and very easy to park in towns.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Best of both worlds, pvc towing a medium sized caravan. You then have the choice to use whatever combination suits the trip.
Also useful if one of you snores, one in PVC other in caravan ... Also if having a tiff! 😄

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It all depends on what your holiday plans are and whether you will be staying put or moving on after a night in my view. Take into account depreciation, up keep costs such as tax, insurance and mot to off set against the number of times you use it.
Buying a Morelo and small car to stick in the boot is dreamland to some but reality for the few.
Quote edited for clarity,

But it's still not the answer to everyone, soon as you do that you are going to be 9m possibly 9.5m which has implications on selecting aires and stellplatz not to mention camp sites, then there is the payload issue as putting a car in the back of a big van on a 7500kg chassis eats up any useable payload and you are worrying about how much water you can take and how many pairs of shoes the Mrs can take, it's not an easy decision and certainly there is no one size fits all solution, in bobnick 's case I think they will try a caravan and quite possibly find that it suits them.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
We had a buccaneer elan and G wagon loved it all that power no problem reversing but decided to go abroad what an eye opener,soon realised about stellplatz and aires and would never go back .when I finally pack up it will be a sad day I love the motorhome life we’ve made so many friends abroad I can’t imagine any other way. But you could give it a try I think you’ll be back👍

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I did the caravan thing for years with the wife and kids ( actually started with folding campers ( which I still love )) but now the wife has gone :cry: and the kids have flown the nest. I then bought my tag axle nearly 7 years ago and absolutely love it. (y) I’m always on my own so do what I feel like at the time and go wherever I want. I also now have a fast sports car that can’t pull anything heavier than 1150kgs so extremely restricted. I’ll not ever have another caravan because, personally, I see them as too much hassle. Many don’t and that’s great for them. (y)

I’m now looking for a nice, clean TD5 Discovery 2 so I can cut the rear body off behind the drivers seat area, have the chassis professionally extended by 1.4 metres, then build a custom body on the back. Then, and only then will I think about selling the tag axle.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi. bobnick.
Its a difficult choice,in an ideal world we should have both . When c/vanning did not want a m/ho,now we have a PVC do we want a c/van ? Yes,but, The ONLY things that stop us ( Me ;) ) Is coming down through France,with MILES of dual c/ways with No Overtaking with trailers and various speed limits.
Come on " LOADS a money :ROFLMAO: " Have both !! Reasons for us buying a m/ho-PVC ( to some this is not a m/ho ..... ) (( PLUS...REMEMBER... Jennifer does money...DOH ! )) Had heard all about a French aire in Horflour ?,went to have a look, it was busy and i spotted a spare space and shot into it in the car... THEN read the sign " Camping Car " ooops, backed out ,vowed i would get a m/ho/PVC/camping car etc...... and come back one day. ( Jennifer was/IS still doing the money DOH !! )
The Awning bit. Once the c/van awning is up properly... Its up... You don't have to lower one leg if it rains,wind it in if its windy,buy side blockers,c/vans as a rule have more room inside,so a full awning will double that room. Reversing..Do it often enough and its second nature,plus m/movers.
Go on......... Have both...... The quote " You know your worth it ?? " :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:🚛🚛🚛(y)🚛🚛🚛
Tea Bag

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I only tour abroad with the m/h, wandering rurally or stopping at bijou coastal harbours or small towns and villages using aires.
On the occasions that I want to be static or visit specific attractions or attend events in large/busy towns abroad I go by car or motorbike using hotels or chambre d'hôtes.
Living only a 20 miles drive from France (well, from Newhaven port) there's no incentive to tour the U.K. and be organised, book sites ahead or suffer the congested potholed roads.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We had a buccaneer elan and G wagon loved it all that power no problem reversing but decided to go abroad what an eye opener,soon realised about stellplatz and aires and would never go back .when I finally pack up it will be a sad day I love the motorhome life we’ve made so many friends abroad I can’t imagine any other way. But you could give it a try I think you’ll be back👍
Now that sounds like a proper "outfit" Brian (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had both and found an awning a problem on a caravan as in its bag it takes up so much space it has to be erected to make the caravan usable. They are not necessary unless needed for extra accommodation and doing without the awning makes setting up a breeze.
As others have suggested a PVC may be a solution. I would like one but swmbo won't hear of anything without fixed single beds and a usable kitchen and shower.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
PVC is the way to go bobnick drive almost anywhere and park anywhere and I know you like your luxury so now and again just park up at a nice hotel for the night….🍻😎
Good idea. Or park the PVC at an Airbnb for a night or two of luxury every so often, plus maybe a bath, do the laundry, etc. We've not done it, but know a couple who has.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The touring side of thinks is the one thing i really enjoy. This is why we rarely stop on a site more than a one two or three nights. And maybe thats one reason NOT to go for caravan.
Yet to find it a hassle (some use faff) loading unloading towing a car.
Do you think that if you had a caravan you might leave it in one place a bit longer and go off exploring in the 4x4 that I am sure you will be towing with ;) you would be able to get to places that would be a challenge with a reasonable sized motorhome, we caravanned a good few years before retirement but we were different to you in that we cycled everywhere so the tow car never moved once we were on site, on that basis we knew that a MH would work for us(y)

Dec 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailry Autograph
On this trip are assessing if Motorhoming is what we want out of a holiday/passtime.
Last couple of trips we have/are towing a twin axle trailer with a car on.
We don't/won't do bikes, peddle or part peddle electric.
We don't, try not to do buses/trains and the like.
We do walk a good bit (country/mountain roads with no pavements are nerve racking).
We do like the camp site life/vibe.
I do like the driving to and from countries/places. The more miles the better.
At the mo on this trip we think it's 51% give up motorhoming and 49% continue. By the end of this trip who knows.
Then we got to thinking and talking last night why don't we give a CARAVAN a go for a year to give it a sample.
Thinking again pros v cons. We have come up with a few in favour that would SUIT US.
So may i ask..........................i know it's a motorhome forum.............thoughts from your goodselfs that have gone either way MH to Caravan visa versa.
If we were to go the other way i promise from the bottom of my heart i will not mention the C word again.
I see this dilemma a lot to tow or not to tow. My wife and i use the MH a lot both at home and abroad and our solution is that when we get somewhere we like and want to explore I nip into town and hire a car for a few days. Yes, this is an additional expense but I reckon that it offsets well against the depreciation and upkeep of an additional vehicle without the cost of towing etc.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As I eluded to in my post but as an observation I noticed something interesting a few weeks ago.
Popped into Brownhills at Newark to look at PVC's.( I am talking campervan type now, with pop top roof and folding beds/ seats, so basic van size) and they only had 3 for sale.
They had no new ones but a fair few unregistered PVC's but of the much bigger variety, ie bathroom, jacuzzi, sauna, dishwasher etc ( you get the picture) :LOL:
What they did have was a LOT of motorhomes of the conventional coachbuilt type, mostly used but some new.
When I asked about sales generally I was told that the ones moving fastest were the pop-top type campervans, as there seemed to be a trend towards people moving away from traditional motorhomes.
It could be a price thing, or a space thing, or maybe people have realised how much it REALLY costs to have a motorhome sat idle for long periods, when their are other modes to outdoor adventures which can be a better use of finite resources.
Just my thoughts.

I had a VW T4 pop top camper for 10 years. There are pros and cons. It was a very practical and economical daily driver so I didn't need a car as well.

Downsides incuded having the roof up means loads of noise from outside. A portapotti as a loo soon loses its appeal. Very cramped in wet weather. Limited storage. Nowhere for her ladyship to store her ballgowns.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back