ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Get a caravan and spend an hour trying to reverse it onto a pitch, getting all the crap out of the van, setting up the awning, falling out with the Mrs in the poring rain, giving the gongoozlering motorhomers some fun watching your antics, decide the day after you don't like the site, spend an hour getting down wet awnings and soaking wet carpets putting them in the van with a sulking Mrs then hitching up and driving off only to find next site full or keep the motorhome or upgrade it to a Flair, Concorde or Morello and keep a car in the boot space. With a motorhome its easy, don't like where you are, on your way in less than 5 mins and much cheaper options for overnighting, cheaper ferries, lane 3 of the motorway, higher speed limits on national roads, easier to park up :reel:
On your way in 5 mins? You haven't seen us motorhoming. At least 2 hours on the day packing away vital necessities which don't include those packed the previous day. As soon as we start somebody has to be said goodbye to and a long chat about where we are going and where they've been. It was quicker when we had a caravan and I had to get back for work.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oddly enough.. or not.. we are considering selling the PVC and going back to tugging ..

our last caravan was a Hymer Nova .. quality van, well built and spacious, but thinking on buying an Eriiba .. lighter and less wind drag and easier to tow than a full height van

Not certain on model, years ago we had a Puck, but we want one with a toilet and shower.. maybe the Triton GT

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Tried a caravan did not like having to book sites abroad it soon went and i went back to a motorhome. If we stopped touring abroad the motorhome would be sold but would not be replaced with a caravan , for the money they charge for a pitch in England I feel it would be better to use b and b and Premier inns etc

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
for the money they charge for a pitch in England I feel it would be better to use b and b and Premier inns etc
on big sites yes, they are getting expensive... £35 and up

but there are thousands of CLs and CS sites that are still reasonable.. £10 - £15

I know there are also some charging £25 - £30 . but still cheaper than B&B .. which we have

looked into with a view to using the car.. and they are certainly not cheap.. £50 and up for

B&B .. Hotels .. £100 .. you may find a Premier Inn w/e deal but not much use for a 14 day or longer holiday

we don't do so called 'wild camping;' so makes no difference to us if we have a motorhome or a caravan.. we use sites ..

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Get a caravan and spend an hour trying to reverse it onto a pitch, getting all the crap out of the van, setting up the awning, falling out with the Mrs in the poring rain, giving the gongoozlering motorhomers some fun watching your antics, decide the day after you don't like the site, spend an hour getting down wet awnings and soaking wet carpets putting them in the van with a sulking Mrs then hitching up and driving off only to find next site full or keep the motorhome or upgrade it to a Flair, Concorde or Morello and keep a car in the boot space. With a motorhome its easy, don't like where you are, on your way in less than 5 mins and much cheaper options for overnighting, cheaper ferries, lane 3 of the motorway, higher speed limits on national roads, easier to park up :reel:
Reversing not an issue, an hour:unsure: Most caravans nowadays have motor movers. I wouldn't build a plastic house on the side everytime we stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2023
Sutherland Scotland
Funster No
MH
Toyota hiace
Exp
I’m a newbie
I have a small converted transit van with a drive away awning for those longer trips so the van is small enough to get in to normal car parks and the driveway awning gives lots of extra space. I think we have best of both worlds. So far we have done the wild camping only and it’s been great.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
If you want to see more of France keep the MoHo, nearly all the campsites will only be open for about 2 months so you will need the Aires and there are very few that will allow a Caravan.
Is that true?
French campsites for tourers are only open for about 2 months ??
Surely not?
How on earth are they making a living, if so?
And if the case, I certainly don't want to be visiting in that 8 to 10 week squeeze, with all the other European visitors, school holiday brigade etc etc.
Even some of the UK C and CC sites are open for at least 6 to 7 months.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
But not motorhomes?
I think both can be equally guilty.
I run my Motorhome with 200 to 300 kg of spare payload. :LOL:

Yes motorhomes are often over but not like caravans most owners don't have a clue they don't run with just a bit over, often 2 or 3 times their payload.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is that true?
French campsites for tourers are only open for about 2 months ??
Surely not?
How on earth are they making a living, if so?
And if the case, I certainly don't want to be visiting in that 8 to 10 week squeeze, with all the other European visitors, school holiday brigade etc etc.
Even some of the UK C and CC sites are open for at least 6 to 7 months.
no, not 2 months ,,

generally they are open Easter to end of Aug or Sep .. 5 or 6 months

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
We are in the process of switching from a motorhome back to our caravan. For me the deciding factor is having the car with us, but also as a caravan is a much cheaper piece of kit and non mechanical we wont feel the need to keep using it. Since having the motorhome we have forgone any other type of holiday "because we have to use the motorhome to justify the cost " Leaving a caravan at the side of the house untouched for months at a time does not seem such a waste
Absolutely. (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As I said ours is 180kg. Which for us is not an issue.
I carry nearly that in tools & spares:laughing:
" Leaving a caravan at the side of the house untouched for months at a time does not seem such a waste
but really wants a complete mechanical check up before it even moves.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
If you want to see more of France keep the MoHo, nearly all the campsites will only be open for about 2 months so you will need the Aires and there are very few that will allow a Caravan.
that's rubbish , many french campsites are open for a lot longer than 2 months
ACSI list multiple camping sites open for at least 6 months of the year usually from the end April onwards and there are some open all year round

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
We’ve had both,towed with 17 plate l200 and swift twin axle,but it’s the ease of getting away and moving quicker, we tow a small car sometimes usually in the winter if staying a few days in the uk,but never in the summer and definitely not abroad,I usually if we stay a week or more abroad we will hire a car for a few days.we prefer the motorhome generally.cost wise it’s cheaper owning the motorhome,ved is £165 for mh, ved for pickup was £265, insurance for pickup £600 mh£400,insurance for caravan £360, towing caravan 22-26mpg mh 30+mpg it soon adds up,fortunately no finance on anything.

CB13FFDA-B74B-47E2-AEE4-0A8D711A0665.jpeg

1D106A20-3EF0-4631-9928-AC7860809E52.jpeg

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I run my Motorhome with 200 to 300 kg of spare payload. :LOL:

Yes motorhomes are often over but not like caravans most owners don't have a clue they don't run with just a bit over, often 2 or 3 times their payload.
Personally, I think you are being a little disingenuous to caravan owners.
Some maybe a little confused or ignore such restrictions, but not most.
And the same can be said for motorhomers.
Who hasn't run whilst unwittingly being overweight?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Reading this thread and noting the number of members who have swapped between one and another method of 'camping', some several times, I am thankful that I went first time for a MH and in 14 years have been very happy with the choice and not had to go through all the thought processes demonstrated on here.

It is a 'no brainer' for aires/wildcamping.

Chacq'un a son gout

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Actually, this is a brilliant thread and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
We are at a crossroads in our personal outdoor method of holidaying/ day trips etc and this thread has thrown up some very salient points.
One thing I am confused over though is this.

What is a PVC ( panel van conversion). Is this not a campervan?

What is a 'pop-top 'van ( is this a panel van conversion)VW transporter type or T4/T5/T6 etc ?

What is a Campervan (is this also a van conversion)?

Sorry if this sets off a can of worms but I am getting confused with what actually means what and what equipment each actually needs to have to be classed as such.
Our coachbuilt motorhome is v5 classed as Motorised Caravan, to cause even further muddying of the waters.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Reading this thread and noting the number of members who have swapped between one and another method of 'camping', some several times, I am thankful that I went first time for a MH and in 14 years have been very happy with the choice and not had to go through all the thought processes demonstrated on here.

It is a 'no brainer' for aires/wildcamping.

Chacq'un a son gout
But you don't know what you are missing Geoff ;) you know you want to really :unsure:

Sep 24, 2013
swansea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
3 years
On this trip are assessing if Motorhoming is what we want out of a holiday/passtime.
Last couple of trips we have/are towing a twin axle trailer with a car on.
We don't/won't do bikes, peddle or part peddle electric.
We don't, try not to do buses/trains and the like.
We do walk a good bit (country/mountain roads with no pavements are nerve racking).
We do like the camp site life/vibe.
I do like the driving to and from countries/places. The more miles the better.
At the mo on this trip we think it's 51% give up motorhoming and 49% continue. By the end of this trip who knows.
Then we got to thinking and talking last night why don't we give a CARAVAN a go for a year to give it a sample.
Thinking again pros v cons. We have come up with a few in favour that would SUIT US.
So may i ask..........................i know it's a motorhome forum.............thoughts from your goodselfs that have gone either way MH to Caravan visa versa.
If we were to go the other way i promise from the bottom of my heart i will not mention the C word again.
We had caravans for about 25 years and always said eventually we would have a mh. Before we bought we hired one twice for two weeks both times to see if it was for us. We've had a moho now about ten years and love it. Most peple would probably agree there are pros and cons to them both and I would strongly advise hiring before buying. We've just down sized our mh are planning our first trip to France in it. It's about adapting again, this time to a smaller space and prioritising what we REALLY need. Give it a go a couple of times and then see how you feel before you commit a helluva lot of money. Happy camping whatever you decide!

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We had two motorhomes then went on to have two caravans. Mr Gina M hated towing the caravan and the mornings of our first day off was a bloody nightmare he used to get so stressed it made me miserable and dreading going away. We have now had this MH for 7 years, the longest we have had one. I agree with some of you that towing a car is a faff but he likes the faff so I leave him to it. He just tells me to sit in the van out of the way. I would love a PVC but he won't change Frankie for anything. If I had my way I would sell the van and the tow car and use the PVC as my run around at home. But then he reminds me how I moan if he walks past me when I am cooking and in a PVC he wouldn't be walking past me, he would be squeezing past me:giggle:(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What is a PVC ( panel van conversion). Is this not a campervan?
Yes but can be up to 7,5m long & getting on for well over 2,5m in height so not any use if you wish to use car parks with height barriers
What is a 'pop-top 'van ( is this a panel van conversion)VW transporter type or
The normal used to be a normal roofed (H1) van ( T4,5 & 6 etc) with an elevating roof which means it would enter under height barriers in to car parks. Now days you can get H2, 3 & 4 height vans & with 'pop' tops= elevating roofs which will not enter car parks

What is a Campervan (is this also a van conversion)?
It encompasses everything from factory built to self converted

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Yes but can be up to 7,5m long & getting on for well over 2,5m in height so not any use if you wish to use car parks with height barriers

The normal used to be a normal roofed (H1) van ( T4,5 & 6 etc) with an elevating roof which means it would enter under height barriers in to car parks. Now days you can get H2, 3 & 4 height vans & with 'pop' tops= elevating roofs which will not enter car parks

It encompasses everything from factory built to self converted
Thanks for the clarity.
That's interesting as did not know that ' pop top ' roofs would struggle under normal height barriers, but I suppose it makes sense, as they have in effect , heightened the normal roof.
In that case, may as well look at a
" true" pvc. Not too long, and may even get an onboard loo.
But will it be too big for daily use??
I shall investigate further.
Thanks for the heads up.
Was/ am? originally looking at T4/T5/T6 'pop-top' conversions.
Search starts again. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back