bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Am i wrong in thinking that what one would normally carry in the garage of a MH you would carry in the back of your F-off big 4x4 that tows the caravan.
I know for sure what we carry now in our MH would certainly go in our Range Rover with space to spare.
We would leave the washing machine, dish washer, dryer, air fryer, full size vacume, air bed, surf boards, paddle boards, blah blah that we don't wouldn't use at home anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why some campsites ban twin axle caravans.
yes, some French sites do have that ruling.. simply so they can refuse travellers arriving with twin axle vans legally ..

but when they see you are not one of the travelling community, they don't bother ..

traveled all over France with a twin axle and was never refused.

4x4 Pick-up trucks are now favourite for towing with.. plenty of space and payload for all sorts of stuff and toys ..

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Am i wrong in thinking that what one would normally carry in the garage of a MH you would carry in the back of your F-off big 4x4 that tows the caravan.
I know for sure what we carry now in our MH would certainly go in our Range Rover with space to spare.
We would leave the washing machine, dish washer, dryer, air fryer, full size vacume, air bed, surf boards, paddle boards, blah blah that we don't wouldn't use at home anyway.

It's not difficult if you choose the correct type and size of tow vehicle which generally tend to be larger vehicles anyway. Even easier if there is only two of you and a small dog because we have at least part of the back seat to utilise for storage too..

One other problem of carrying too much in the caravan is access to the interior when 'enroute' - much easier if the floor and seats and access to the fridge and cupboards are kept as clear as poss for that lunch/tea break during the journey.

More difficult but still not impossible if travelling with a family and even then that is what roof boxes are for (ensuring of course you remain with respective weight limits. (roof/axle/train).

It seems to me the lack of a garage because you have a caravan is truly a 'none' issue. (After all it's better than having a MH that's sans garage I would think).

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
yes, some French sites do have that ruling.. simply so they can refuse travellers arriving with twin axle vans legally ..

but when they see you are not one of the travelling community, they don't bother ..

traveled all over France with a twin axle and was never refused.

4x4 Pick-up trucks are now favourite for towing with.. plenty of space and payload for all sorts of stuff and toys ..

Ditto when we had twins also, even on sites which on booking we noted the no T/A rule. I've even seen that in the UK but can't recall which site it was.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
that comes close to a Tabbart caravan.
Lovely kit ,just a pity that you can't buy one without everyone thinking you are an itinerant.
Why some campsites ban twin axle caravans.
& twin axle is basically the only safe way to have any type of trailer unless it is 3 axle. Single axle is just a disaster waiting a blow out & turnover.
It seems to me the lack of a garage because you have a caravan is truly a 'none' issue. (After all it's better than having a MH that's sans garage I would think).
On my last coachbuilt without a garage I loaded everything in the overcab.

A drawback to any type of trailer/caravan towing here in Spain is the 50mph (80kph) limit when towing. Admittedly many go far faster, usually horse boxes & loaded. but The use of the pegasus system for speeding on helicopters is enough deterrent for me not to go much above 100kph these days.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Lovely kit ,just a pity that you can't buy one without everyone thinking you are an itinerant.

& twin axle is basically the only safe way to have any type of trailer unless it is 3 axle. Single axle is just a disaster waiting a blow out & turnover.

On my last coachbuilt without a garage I loaded everything in the overcab.

A drawback to any type of trailer/caravan towing here in Spain is the 50mph (80kph) limit when towing. Admittedly many go far faster, usually horse boxes & loaded. but The use of the pegasus system for speeding on helicopters is enough deterrent for me not to go much above 100kph these days.
I've been doing 90/100kph towing the trailer on many Spainish road. Regulary i am passed by Spanish registered vehicles towing doing 120kph and much more.

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
I’m aware of that hence my reply contradicting shrimp’s post stating that most sites in France only had a 2 month season
Opps sorry wrong post to reply on, it’s the wife’s fault she was giving me a good thump for insinuating she’s fat!

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
I've been doing 90/100kph towing the trailer on many Spainish road. Regulary i am passed by Spanish registered vehicles towing doing 120kph and much more.
I was doing 83 mph in my car on the motorway down towards the Millau bridge heading to Spain, a few years ago and a Dutch towing a caravan over took me so after Dutch got 1/4 of a mile ahead I put my toe down to keep same distance and my odo read 96 mph. I slowed and I came off at Millau services for a cuppa. I didn’t want to see a really bad accident. Don’t like blood and guts.
Never saw the caravan again. What crazy things some people do..

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Agreed , I’ve had my fill of the "crammed in like sardines because it free" aires .
Far rather have some space on a site with EHU and a grass pitch irrespective of the cost .
We use aires as overnight stops on the long drive to Spain, ideal for that. Only once we stopped a bit longer and that was to see Oradour-sur-Glane

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
We use aires as overnight stops on the long drive to Spain, ideal for that. Only once we stopped a bit longer and that was to see Oradour-sur-Glane
That was one sad place, how could a group of people stoop to such depravity. Not many things sour me but this place was Nazi almost at their worst. The holocaust obviously was the worst but this senseless violence was something else. I hope it remains as it is for hundreds of years.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
90 is the speed limit for Caravans on motorways
Only for the very few that are under 750kgs. twin axle stuff & over 750kgs is 80kph.Under 750 kgs is 90kph & over is 80kph

En autopistas y autovías, automóviles con remolque de hasta 750kg, límite de 90 km/h; automóviles con remolque de más de 750 kg, límite de 80 km/h.
a few years ago and a Dutch towing a caravan over took me so after Dutch got 1/4 of a mile ahead I put my toe down to
the towing limit in France is 130 kph.110 if raining

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I was doing 83 mph in my car on the motorway down towards the Millau bridge heading to Spain, a few years ago and a Dutch towing a caravan over took me so after Dutch got 1/4 of a mile ahead I put my toe down to keep same distance and my odo read 96 mph. I slowed and I came off at Millau services for a cuppa. I didn’t want to see a really bad accident. Don’t like blood and guts.
Never saw the caravan again. What crazy things some people do..
he was probably at his destination supping a G&T whilst you were plodding along.

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
But if you are planning to stay on a site for 90 days

🥶

The mere thought of that would make me sell my van tomorrow. And if I had a caravan I'd just set fire to it.

Surely vans - even caravans - are meant for touring.

If you're planning to stay somewhere for the months on end (although for the life of me I couldn't understand why) fly there and do self catering. If you need transport, hire a car/scooter/bike.

There's a big wide world out there. Surely that's why we have vans?

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.

Fascinating place, everybody should visit at least once.

Screenshot_20240318-204823.png

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
We are 7.5m and are downsizing to a 6.67m Carthago Compactline only 2.12m wide so hardly any bigger than PVC. Huge garage loads of under floor storage far more than our 7.5m Hymer and being an A Class plenty of room inside.
Thanks will have a look at that, must say I like look of Carthago.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We bought a caravan November 2021. Due to time, other commitments and health issue. We have only used it 3 times.

Need to get around to trying it out properly at some point this year. I hate towing it. I wouldn’t mind so much on the continent. But it’s expensive to get a caravan over the water (though Stena to Holland can be cheap).

The other restriction is Schengen days. We use most of them staying at our house in Spain.

I have a strong feeling, unless I can find a seasonal pitch for weekend use, it will be going up for sale.

I have posted a photo a few times .

E384BEE0-1FBC-46E3-8EAA-DD78DD30B274.jpeg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Fascinating place, everybody should visit at least once.

View attachment 877014

I take different view, in that I have read enough about such atrocities that I do not need to visit, as I find that ghoulish.

We live a few kms from Auschwitz but I have no wish to go there as I have seen pictures in books published soon after the war, which depict horrors worse than those on display at Auschwitz in what is a sanitised museum.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
🥶

If you're planning to stay somewhere for the months on end (although for the life of me I couldn't understand why) fly there and do self catering. If you need transport, hire a car/scooter/bike.

Good job we’re all different , Loads of Brits are more than happy to spend 3 months over the winter on Spanish campsites
Cheaper long term rate’s for starters
Only reason I go is for the warmer weather , better than staying at home in the cold Scottish Winter

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
I take different view, in that I have read enough about such atrocities that I do not need to visit, as I find that ghoulish.

We live a few kms from Auschwitz but I have no wish to go there as I have seen pictures in books published soon after the war, which depict horrors worse than those on display at Auschwitz in what is a sanitised museum.

When I visited I'd not heard much of it previously and found the site and the research done subsequently very informative. Not ghoulish but a reminder of the terrible things that man can inflict on his fellow man. Quite topical now really.

Good that we all don't find the same things interesting.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
🥶

The mere thought of that would make me sell my van tomorrow. And if I had a caravan I'd just set fire to it.

Good job we’re all different , Loads of Brits are more than happy to spend 3 months over the winter on Spanish campsites
Cheaper long term rate’s for starters
Only reason I go is for the warmer weather , better than staying at home in the cold Scottish Winter
Everyone is different .

You can hire apartments, villas homes.

But some people are very sociable and prefer the company of others around them. Others may not like to be alone in a villa etc.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Everyone is different .

You can hire apartments, villas homes.

But some people are very sociable and prefer the company of others around them. Others may not like to be alone in a villa etc.
Tried the renting an apartment , didn't like it as it was far to quiet , very few people to interact with
And we also rented a car for 2 months which was very expensive .

Jun 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 275
🥶

Are you for real?

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Tried the renting an apartment , didn't like it as it was far to quiet , very few people to interact with
And we also rented a car for 2 months which was very expensive .
There you go !

I know Simone who has hired a remote hilltop house for 2024/25.

It will be cold and isolated. But if that’s what they want ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back