Morocco 2019

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by River gypsys, Sep 19, 2018.

1. River gypsys

River gypsys Funster

Ratings:
    +232
    Hi all, is it too early to ask if anyone's going to Morocco in January, we nearly made it last year but not quite,
    We want to go this winter but would prefer to travel with other people at least in the beginning ,
    Thanks
    Sue

2. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

Ratings:
    +2,452
    We are aiming to to go and it will be our first time so a bit nervous of the unknown.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,558
    @TerryL are you planning on going again 2019. :)

4. StephandJohn

StephandJohn Funster

Ratings:
    +604
    We're thinking about Morocco too, maybe next year. Its also the unknown for us - exciting and a bit scary. I suppose its better to go in the winter because of temps etc but we would have to be back by the end of March because of MOTs and various other things. This would probably mean going in November.

5. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +894
    We are planning to cross over sometime in January and I was waiting to see if @TerryL started a thread as the past ones have been so useful with information and developing confidence.
    Little bit nervous, but my main concerns are about LPG and alcohol...................not necessarily in that order.
    We hope to stay for the 90 days so will certainly run out of gas (and alcohol) so any ideas to share about filling up with both would be very welcome.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Nik

Nik Funster

Ratings:
    +365
    We are planning our 1st trip there too, probably going over in the 3rd week in Jan for approx 3 weeks after a meander down through France and Spain.

We would be happy to join with other Funsters especially those with the experience of the crossing and border procedures.

Our current loose plan is after crossing, Chefchaouen Fes, Azrou, Errachidia, Ouarzazate, Marrakesh, Agadir/Essaouira, and then backup the coast to Tangier.. Is this too much for 3 weeks? I know that what it looks like on a map is much different from the reality when driving it.

Any ideas on 'must visit' places gratefully accepted.

Very best regards
    Nik.

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. abforfun

abforfun Funster

Ratings:
    +662
    We went 2015 and the following 2 yrs going again this yr hoping to cross to moroc around mid jan

• Like it Like it x 3
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +35,747
    We went in 2007 with our RV .. and spent two months touring.. .. it is a very different and well worth visiting, but, it is a third world country.. so don't expect nice clean toilets, European style camping sites and facilities.

Bear in mind it is a Muslim country and respect their code of conduct.

Keep an eye on the FO Travel advice https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco

Would we go again.. ? Yes.. definitely..

Highlights were

The Sahara Dessert and Source Blue
    The High Atlas Mountains..
    Todra Gorge
    The Atlantic coast

Only place I wouldn't go back to was Marrakech .. no thanks, it's a tourist trap, busy and smelly .. full of beggars and street sellers who never leave you alone..

Just some of the things you need to sort out .

• Insurance Green Card, essential.. you won't get entry without it . you can buy 1/3 party insurance cover at the border, it makes you legal, but I wouldn't risk that
    • Health insurance .. very advisable, (Morocco is not a signatory to the EHIC card system )
    • Breakdown cover .. advisable
    • Van in tip top condition and fully serviced, tyres in top condition..
    • Carry a spare wheel and the tools to change it, practice at home.
    • Carry basic spares, bulbs, drive belts etc
    • I also carried a puncture repair kit and 12v tyre inflator

won't go on as Terrry wrote an informative article, .. download from resources
    https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/taking-a-motorhome-to-morocco.88/updates

enjoy your trip.. but plan on never having a sand free van again.. ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. SpeedyDux

SpeedyDux Funster

Ratings:
    +7,228
    Recent news is that the EU is paying the Moroccan government 200 million Euros to reduce migration from morocco into Spain. As a result the Moroccan authorities are demolishing migrant encampments and homes near the north coast, forcibly bussing the migrants up to 800 km further south, and just dumping them with no shelter or support. There are hundreds if not thousands of desperate Senegalese and Malian migrants wandering around places like Tiznit near Agadir hoping to smuggle themselves into lorries and other vehicles heading back north towards Tangier or Ceuta. This article may be under-reporting the scale of this new development:

https://www.news24.com/Africa/News/...ce-hundreds-of-migrants-out-of-north-20180812

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. StephandJohn

StephandJohn Funster

Ratings:
    +604
    Its so sad. Its like they're not 'real'people' to the autthorities. Just 'things' to be moved around.

11. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,346
    Hi all intending Morocco travellers (and @Carol ). Hadn't intended to start/join a 2019 thread yet but as someone else has, I'll put in my threepennyworth.

Yes we have full intentions of going again but I've got to sort out the insurance first, Comfort appear to be asking for both arms and half a leg for a Green Card! Our intention is to cross mid to late January, a little later than before as we would like to include the Tafraoute Almond Festival which we have missed in the past. Crossing again from Algeciras to Tangier Med but after that who knows? Whatever, it will be south! As before we'll be happy for any fully paid up members to accompany us across and as far as they wish.

As far as I know the information in my article is still current, although I suspect prices may have changed a little. If anyone knows different perhaps they'll post on here and I'll do an update. As regards places to visit I'd recommend reading the 2015, 2016 and 2017 threads; lots of good photos there too.

@Nik yes, IMO you're expecting to do too much. Despite there being many good roads you should really only expect your average day driving to be half of the UK or Europe - it is possible but you'll miss so much. Why not "meander down" a little quicker and go for a bit longer? The weather's better anyway than in Europe!

@webby1 download the article from resources, I think everything is pretty well covered but reference to the Morocco 2017 thread would probably help too.

And finally, the dreaded B word - yes Brexit. Remember nobody yet knows, despite lots of postings, what the situation is going to be. Just remember that after March 29th 2019 we'll be non-Europeans entering the EEC!

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +8,849
    Also planning to return in January and will post confirmation nearer the time and once the Moroc.2019 thread is established. Will be heading down through Agadir and Tiznet and will compare against last visit.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +894
    I think many of us were waiting for @TerryL to start the thread and thank you so much for the information in all the previous years threads (and to the other posters). Loads of advice which helps to boost confidence in a new destination.

We are hoping to cross over in early January and I hope mention of your name will get us a little discount with Carlos. We have just received our Green Card from Comfort and although it was £250 it was still cheaper overall with them, than taking a policy with a company like Safeguard who still offer a free card.............( I guess that won't last when they hear people are prepared to pay so much for a card)

As mentioned before I am concerned about availability of alcohol and LPG..................we'll fill up with both before leaving Spain but not enough to last us the 90 days we plan to stay.

So focusing on gas, which may help others decide,the options seem to be....

1. Hope to find a refill place or someone to take the cylinder away and bring it back full.

2. Get the hose from Gaslow which attaches to the refill point and then people have suggested it should fit directly to a Moroccan bottle. Downside is you have to wait until the tank is empty and keep connecting it up at each stop. Gaslow also do a regulator to connect to a 907 Camping Gas

3. Reserve the gas for heating and buy a complete gas bottle and cooking hob in Morocco.

4. Take a single gas burner and some of the small cartridges.Which seems my favourite at the moment at least as a back up for cooking.
    Any observations welcome and we'll deal with alcohol next time:drinks:

14. Nik

Nik Funster

Ratings:
    +365
    Thanks @TerryL, @scotjimland , @webby1 and everyone for your info and advice. All valuable stuff to consider.
    @webby1 regarding the gas. I have refillable LPG and have thought about this issue. I thought I would get a Moroccan bottle and regulator and attach it to my external BBQ point when I need gas for cooking/heating. I would turn off my lpg so there couldn't be any 'contamination '. Can't see any reason why this wouldn't work.
    Thanks all again for your help.
    See you on the sunny side hopefully.
    Cheers Nik

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +35,747
    Good plan, that is what I did.. bottled gas in Morocco is very cheap, available just about everywhere, and you can buy the regulator when you get your first bottle.. I kept my main LPG tank for emergencies and just used the local bottles. On our first campsite I spoke to the site guard and he went off and brought back an 11kg bottle back with regulator..

There is no Autogas in Morocco, although some have found LPG depots that would refill ..

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +894
    We don't have a barbecue point so can't use a local bottle at the same time as the main LPG.As I understand it I would have to fit the Moroccan bottle directly to the refill point with the gaslow hose and this only works when the main tank is empty letting the gas pass through.
    It seems that if you have a separate BB point then the local bottle is an ideal solution.

As for problem number 2 it might be helpful if people could post locations where they have purchased alcohol and get a list together.......................90 days is a long time without:hugs:

17. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +8,849
    [QUOTE
    We are hoping to cross over in early January and I hope mention of your name will get us a little discount with Carlos. We have just received our Green Card from Comfort and although it was £250 it was still cheaper overall with them, than taking a policy with a company like Safeguard who still offer a free card.............( I guess that won't last when they hear people are prepared to pay so much for a card)

:drinks:[/QUOTE]
    Quite surprised your insurance and green card with Comfort is cheaper than insurance alone with Safeguard. I too was with Comfort who qouted me £22.50 per week for the green card which I'm now told has increased further ? When I went to Safeguard I only had to pay £60.00 more for my insurance policy than I had with Comfort. How strange.
    On the Alcohol front, I would advise buying boxes of wine before you get down to Algeciras, on both our last trips there was only the 1 ltr boxes available and no decent stuff in 3 or 5 ltr. boxes. Beer is not a problem. Safe travels

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,346
    It's not MY name that will do you any good with Carlos, it's MotorhomeFun! Anyway his daughters run the outfit now although he still (as far as I am aware) gets involved. Better chance of a discount if you've a small group.

We get a Christmas card from him every year!

Thoughts. We all seem to use Voyages Normandie (Carlos) for our Morocco ferry tickets, but does anybody know what using the many kiosks you see along the Spanish roads would cost?

19. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

Ratings:
    +902

A very very good question but It appears that the French also buy from Carlos, I guess they would go else where if it was cheaper .

20. webby1

webby1 Funster

Ratings:
    +894
    Just an update on the gas situation.............................I was going to buy one of the reserve cylinder hoses from Gaslow but the very helpful lady clearly knew her stuff.

She advised that the Gaslow cylinders should connect directly to the Moroccan Cylinders (21.8 left hand thread) I believe Terry referred to trying this out last year.................that makes it much easier and cheaper to simply put in a Moroccan bottle, if and when we run out of gas.

No need for an extra hose, or to keep connecting up to the refill point everytime we stop.
    Can anyone confirm that this should be the case?