TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Marjane in Agadir closed their alcohol section couple of years ago. In fact I believe that Marjane has been taken over by the King and alcohol is no longer available at any of their places. Think Carrefour still do though. Local site guardians will know (and will be happy to get a "tip" too).

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Plenty of places in Agadir, which are close to the ‘camp site’ and you can can have a beer on the sea front.

In Marrakesh it’s best to get a local taxi and ask him.

There isn’t much choice and beer is about 1.80€ a can but when you are desperate.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
And on the gas thread, there is always a ‘little man’ who will always refill any type of gas bottle, not always cheap but it works.

Also buy a local cylinder and a screw in burner, available at any little shop, you can then do any cooking or reheating outside therefore reducing the usage on your ‘in van ‘ gas.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have 2 x 6 KG Gaslow bottles fitted with a manual changeover valve. Each bottle lasts for about 14 days when I run all my services from them. I also have 1 x 13KG Moroccan LPG bottle (I will dump this at the end of this trip). I will enter Morocco with both Gaslow bottles full and when at Tiznit purchase a propane refill for the 13 KG bottle which I will connect to the filler point with the Gaslow hose (posted on this thread), Once I run out of gas on my first bottle. As others have said the LPG in Morocco may not be of the same quality as you would buy in Europe so as an additional safeguard I have purchased this (link below) and attached it between the bottle and the Gaslow hose). That's me using the main bottle until I start my journey out of Morocco whereby I switch over to the other bottle. (There's a few days still in the first bottle sfter I disconnect the 13 KG bottle. Broken Link Removed
I don't rate the gas-it filte,r fitted them on my last van had no end of problems with leaks couldn't get them to seal very well on the connections. Took them off after a year, opened the filter bowl and the filters looked brand new I don't reckon the the gas ever passed through them.
If you are going to fit filters fit the more expensive Truma ones.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Also buy a local cylinder and a screw in burner, available at any little shop, you can then do any cooking or reheating outside therefore reducing the usage on your ‘in van ‘ gas.

Agree, we did.

And for those using the Gaslow extension hose, their Camping Gaz adapter fits the little bottles too. In fact I'm convinced they are old 907 bottles, having once bought a light blue one............

OP
OP
River gypsys

River gypsys

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Two questions, how do we find Carlos,s place and do you have to stay on sites ?
Oh no, third question, are there conventional supermarkets ?
Thanks

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
upload_2018-9-24_21-6-4.png

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Right next to carrefour at palmones.

You dont have to stay there, but a lot of people do - buy the ticket for ferry the following morning. Everyone used to stay in front of Lidls but the situation keeps changing, dont worry you will see where they are staying when you get there.

Marjanes are a lot like a leclerc but see previous notes about alcohol, there are also a few carrefours in tourist places. Take booze and Pork with you if possible.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I don't rate the gas-it filte,r fitted them on my last van had no end of problems with leaks couldn't get them to seal very well on the connections. Took them off after a year, opened the filter bowl and the filters looked brand new I don't reckon the the gas ever passed through them.
If you are going to fit filters fit the more expensive Truma ones.
I fitted the expensive Truma ones and Moroccan gas still killed the regulator.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Two questions, how do we find Carlos,s place and do you have to stay on sites ?
Oh no, third question, are there conventional supermarkets ?
Thanks
hopefully this will help .
sites what are them.
there is a pork butchers in agadir ,
plus shops in most big towns that sell beer /wine etc .
morocco do some nice wines and beers ,they do win beer festivals in eu with their drinks .
but the shops are tucked away and you may need a local to help you find them. tichalem arabia . might be spelt wrong, hee hee . speak arabic .

Attachments

• img107.jpg
    img107.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
and do you have to stay on sites ?

Sites? You mean campsites? Well you can if you must, there are actually some reasonable ones around but forget Caravan Club standard.
If you download my article from Resources there's a section about styles of camping which covers the subject.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
@scotjimland
The bbq point is designed to work in a particular direction, so to use it to work in the opposite direction is not recomended.
Makes sense to me.
as a gas engineer i cant see any difference

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
On the subject of using the Gaslow connection hose to refil from Moroccan bottles, can anyone tell me whether it would be possible to use it to refil Alugas cylinders from a Cepsa bottle? We already have a Cepsa light bottle, and I was thinking that Spanish propane might be cleaner than Moroccan. We could swap our empty bottle for a full one, before leaving Spain. Would there be any problem with doing this? Obviously, we’d make sure it was secured and upright when travelling.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I used a Cepsa bottle and the Gaslow jumbo connector which you'll need (or an equivalent) to fit to the bottle. Then it's just connected via the adapter hose. I might still do that, but it's a pain finding somewhere to store the bottle - at least using a Moroccan bottle I only need to stash it whilst in Morocco.

Although I use Gaslow connections I'm sure Alugas are the same or at least have equivalents.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I've read the excellent article in Resources. Thanks for that @TerryL . So, here's my next question.
Is there any point at all in taking bikes to Morocco (particularly, as the extra payload may be better used in accommodating our stash of alcohol?)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
IMO no - I took a couple of bikes on second visit, never came off the rack whilst there. Others may disagree however.

But you WILL be asked if you want to sell them! @Portland reckoned he got a good price for an old boneshaker!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that @TerryL . As I suspected.
Much as we like riding our bikes, we'll save the space for the booze (y). I'm OK because I can pack a few boxes of wine, but Graham only drinks beer - bulky and heavy o_O. If only he'd convert to something stronger :D2.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
1) read all of the Morocco threads over the last few years and make notes.
2) ignore all the bo locks
3) forget about gas, put a spare 13 kg propane in your boot, you’ll be cooking outside on a little bottle bought for about €5 which includes the burner ring.
4) forget about Terrorism, google terrorist attacks in GB and then in Morocco, it might surprise you!
5) see 2)
6) Just go, what a fantastic experience awaits you.

ENJOY

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I've read the excellent article in Resources. Thanks for that @TerryL . So, here's my next question.
Is there any point at all in taking bikes to Morocco (particularly, as the extra payload may be better used in accommodating our stash of alcohol?)

We no longer take bikes, the oportunities to use them are quite limited. Take a scooter instead or even better a quad bike!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is there any point at all in taking bikes to Morocco

we took our bikes and did quite a lot.. no different than when on mainland Europe.

we even did some when camped in the Sahara.. not on the dunes of course , but on the dirt road.. great fun.

We used them mainly for shopping and sightseeing in towns and along the coast.. you can go places where a motorhome can't..

so, if you normally enjoy cycling , yes, why not.. ?

DSC_1789.jpg

DSC_1791.jpg
DSC_1794.jpg
DSC_1796.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
A boy's toy :D:D:D! My husband would think he'd died and gone to heaven :D:D:D!

Yes I'm busy working on my wife - keep trying to sneak it into conversations etc.

Morocco is perfect for them, lots of tracks and endless empty beaches where nobody is going to be bothered by them. We ve seen plenty of couples disappearing for the day on them.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Yes I'm busy working on my wife - keep trying to sneak it into conversations etc.

Morocco is perfect for them, lots of tracks and endless empty beaches where nobody is going to be bothered by them. We ve seen plenty of couples disappearing for the day on them.

Can you hire them?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
@scotjimland - You're bikes are different from ours. We have road bikes. No way would I ride mine on the sand - although they would be useful for shopping :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back