Morocco 2019 (3 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@scotjimland - You're bikes are different from ours. We have road bikes. No way would I ride mine on the sand - although they would be useful for shopping :).

we also have road bikes now, and that was just for some fun.. the roads in Morocco are mostly tar-mac.. you only find sand roads in remote places or in the desert ..

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
On a serious note, we did take bikes the first time and only found one place where Sue was happy to use hers, and I didnt use mine much more. We took the scooter and put 1 small folder in for the second trip and I hardly used the bike.

You are better off taking booze, stick some air assisters on if you have nt already got them, and try and see if you can tolerate the Conde Noble because the cartons are lighter than bottles, and get the beer in small cans, pack it everywhere you can, spreading it around the van. Oops sounding like a real alcoholic here - busted maybe!

Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
On a serious note, we did take bikes the first time and only found one place where Sue was happy to use hers, and I didnt use mine much more. We took the scooter and put 1 small folder in for the second trip and I hardly used the bike.

You are better off taking booze, stick some air assisters on if you have nt already got them, and try and see if you can tolerate the Conde Noble because the cartons are lighter than bottles, and get the beer in small cans, pack it everywhere you can, spreading it around the van. Oops sounding like a real alcoholic here - busted maybe!

Jon
What are ‘small beer cans ‘ ?:D

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
You definitely sound like an expert, Jon ;) Obviously, the man to come to for advice on packing booze. (y) It's a topic which is dear to our hearts.
We've got some good underfloor lockers, that can hold plenty of cans and I'm planning on buying boxes of wine in France :D

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
No checks, could you imagine the ‘custom officials’ taking the wine from our French friends, :cry:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I remember a former member Kiwicoss had stacked a pile of wine boxes and bottles of lager in his shower cubicle when entering Morocco. A not insignificant quantity either.
Moroccan Customs man asked to see inside his van, looked inside the shower where he could not have failed to see the booze and just waved him through.
Customs man didnt even ask for a beer!
Its worth taking a stash of beer even if you dont drink as beer is acceptable to many Traffic police officers either in lieu of speeding fines or as a way to reduce the fine to much more manageable levels (as quite a few funsters have found in the past)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Further to my last post, the Moroccan Police are everywher with their hand held radar guns.
There is only one way to avoid expensive speeding fines - DO NOT EXCEED THE SPEED LIMITS!
The official fine is 800 dirhams (£60) and has to be paid on the spot and you will get an official receipt. The Police are open to haggling and a typical result is about 200 Dh plus or minus a couple of beers and you will not get any paperwork (wink, wink).
Speed limits are usually well signposted but can change several times in a short distance.
Also, when at one of the many Police roadblocks COME TO A COMPLETE STOP. do not roll slowly past the Gendarme as that is another reason to be stopped and fined.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Good Times.

IMG_6275.JPG
IMG_6278.JPG

Sep 8, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 2010
We are planning Morroco at the beginning of January for a couple of months. It will be our second time with the Motorhome. We went two years ago and had a great time despite not meeting up with any English en route. As we live in France our van is French registered. Hubby has now put GB stickers front and rear so hopefully we might get a few 'hellos' as well as 'bonjours' in future. Hope our paths cross this time.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Trust me. Having a French number plate will not put other Brits and particularly Funsters from befriending you. Just make sure you have a shed load of alcohol. Safe journey.

Sep 8, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Since 2010
Oh we are always well stocked! We met lots of French, Belgians, Germans, etc. but only saw one UK registered van which seemed abandoned, all the time we were there. Very strange.o_O

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
How we miss Tagazout, used to be hundreds there. I understand the economic argument but Campsites arent the same.

Jon

Have you tried Tafraoute? Much the same kind of idea but well up in the southern mountains. Spectacular scenery!

(Waits for @PhilandMena to post piccies!)

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Jon

where did you get the scooter insured for morocco , i still have not managed to get cover ,Aviva is looking into it for me ..

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
where did you get the scooter insured for morocco , i still have not managed to get cover ,Aviva is looking into it for me ..

1st time I got it insured over there but it was a hassle and it cost 1000 dh. second time I arranged it here and i think it was about £40 but can't remember who with, got to look it up for this time so will see if I can find the docs.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Lovely Pictures, thanks for posting, us newbies need to know all the ins & outs of planning and what to expect in Morocco. I envy your experience, wish someone would/could organise a Fun Rally Tour or Meet, I am sure it would be well supported, especially during the cold winter months.
Les

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back