Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
Ely
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all, is it too early to ask if anyone's going to Morocco in January, we nearly made it last year but not quite,
We want to go this winter but would prefer to travel with other people at least in the beginning ,
Thanks
Sue

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@TerryL are you planning on going again 2019. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We're thinking about Morocco too, maybe next year. Its also the unknown for us - exciting and a bit scary. I suppose its better to go in the winter because of temps etc but we would have to be back by the end of March because of MOTs and various other things. This would probably mean going in November.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
We are planning our 1st trip there too, probably going over in the 3rd week in Jan for approx 3 weeks after a meander down through France and Spain.

We would be happy to join with other Funsters especially those with the experience of the crossing and border procedures.

Our current loose plan is after crossing, Chefchaouen Fes, Azrou, Errachidia, Ouarzazate, Marrakesh, Agadir/Essaouira, and then backup the coast to Tangier.. Is this too much for 3 weeks? I know that what it looks like on a map is much different from the reality when driving it.

Any ideas on 'must visit' places gratefully accepted.

Very best regards
Nik.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We went in 2007 with our RV .. and spent two months touring.. .. it is a very different and well worth visiting, but, it is a third world country.. so don't expect nice clean toilets, European style camping sites and facilities.

Bear in mind it is a Muslim country and respect their code of conduct.

Keep an eye on the FO Travel advice https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/morocco

Would we go again.. ? Yes.. definitely..

Highlights were

The Sahara Dessert and Source Blue
The High Atlas Mountains..
Todra Gorge
The Atlantic coast

Only place I wouldn't go back to was Marrakech .. no thanks, it's a tourist trap, busy and smelly .. full of beggars and street sellers who never leave you alone..

Just some of the things you need to sort out .

• Insurance Green Card, essential.. you won't get entry without it . you can buy 1/3 party insurance cover at the border, it makes you legal, but I wouldn't risk that
  • Health insurance .. very advisable, (Morocco is not a signatory to the EHIC card system )
  • Breakdown cover .. advisable
  • Van in tip top condition and fully serviced, tyres in top condition..
  • Carry a spare wheel and the tools to change it, practice at home.
  • Carry basic spares, bulbs, drive belts etc
  • I also carried a puncture repair kit and 12v tyre inflator

won't go on as Terrry wrote an informative article, .. download from resources
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/taking-a-motorhome-to-morocco.88/updates

enjoy your trip.. but plan on never having a sand free van again.. ;)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Recent news is that the EU is paying the Moroccan government 200 million Euros to reduce migration from morocco into Spain. As a result the Moroccan authorities are demolishing migrant encampments and homes near the north coast, forcibly bussing the migrants up to 800 km further south, and just dumping them with no shelter or support. There are hundreds if not thousands of desperate Senegalese and Malian migrants wandering around places like Tiznit near Agadir hoping to smuggle themselves into lorries and other vehicles heading back north towards Tangier or Ceuta. This article may be under-reporting the scale of this new development:

https://www.news24.com/Africa/News/...ce-hundreds-of-migrants-out-of-north-20180812

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Recent news is that the EU is paying the Moroccan government 200 million Euros to reduce migration from morocco into Spain. As a result the Moroccan authorities are demolishing migrant encampments and homes near the north coast, forcibly bussing the migrants up to 800 km further south, and just dumping them with no shelter or support. There are hundreds if not thousands of desperate Senegalese and Malian migrants wandering around places like Tiznit near Agadir hoping to smuggle themselves into lorries and other vehicles heading back north towards Tangier or Ceuta. This article may be under-reporting the scale of this new development:

https://www.news24.com/Africa/News/...ce-hundreds-of-migrants-out-of-north-20180812
Its so sad. Its like they're not 'real'people' to the autthorities. Just 'things' to be moved around.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi all intending Morocco travellers (and @Carol ). Hadn't intended to start/join a 2019 thread yet but as someone else has, I'll put in my threepennyworth.

Yes we have full intentions of going again but I've got to sort out the insurance first, Comfort appear to be asking for both arms and half a leg for a Green Card! Our intention is to cross mid to late January, a little later than before as we would like to include the Tafraoute Almond Festival which we have missed in the past. Crossing again from Algeciras to Tangier Med but after that who knows? Whatever, it will be south! As before we'll be happy for any fully paid up members to accompany us across and as far as they wish.

As far as I know the information in my article is still current, although I suspect prices may have changed a little. If anyone knows different perhaps they'll post on here and I'll do an update. As regards places to visit I'd recommend reading the 2015, 2016 and 2017 threads; lots of good photos there too.

@Nik yes, IMO you're expecting to do too much. Despite there being many good roads you should really only expect your average day driving to be half of the UK or Europe - it is possible but you'll miss so much. Why not "meander down" a little quicker and go for a bit longer? The weather's better anyway than in Europe!

@webby1 download the article from resources, I think everything is pretty well covered but reference to the Morocco 2017 thread would probably help too.

And finally, the dreaded B word - yes Brexit. Remember nobody yet knows, despite lots of postings, what the situation is going to be. Just remember that after March 29th 2019 we'll be non-Europeans entering the EEC!

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Thanks @TerryL, @scotjimland , @webby1 and everyone for your info and advice. All valuable stuff to consider.
@webby1 regarding the gas. I have refillable LPG and have thought about this issue. I thought I would get a Moroccan bottle and regulator and attach it to my external BBQ point when I need gas for cooking/heating. I would turn off my lpg so there couldn't be any 'contamination '. Can't see any reason why this wouldn't work.
Thanks all again for your help.
See you on the sunny side hopefully.
Cheers Nik

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I thought I would get a Moroccan bottle and regulator and attach it to my external BBQ point when I need gas for cooking/heating. I would turn off my lpg so there couldn't be any 'contamination '. Can't see any reason why this wouldn't work.

Good plan, that is what I did.. bottled gas in Morocco is very cheap, available just about everywhere, and you can buy the regulator when you get your first bottle.. I kept my main LPG tank for emergencies and just used the local bottles. On our first campsite I spoke to the site guard and he went off and brought back an 11kg bottle back with regulator..

There is no Autogas in Morocco, although some have found LPG depots that would refill ..

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
[QUOTE
We are hoping to cross over in early January and I hope mention of your name will get us a little discount with Carlos. We have just received our Green Card from Comfort and although it was £250 it was still cheaper overall with them, than taking a policy with a company like Safeguard who still offer a free card.............( I guess that won't last when they hear people are prepared to pay so much for a card)

:drinks:[/QUOTE]
Quite surprised your insurance and green card with Comfort is cheaper than insurance alone with Safeguard. I too was with Comfort who qouted me £22.50 per week for the green card which I'm now told has increased further ? When I went to Safeguard I only had to pay £60.00 more for my insurance policy than I had with Comfort. How strange.
On the Alcohol front, I would advise buying boxes of wine before you get down to Algeciras, on both our last trips there was only the 1 ltr boxes available and no decent stuff in 3 or 5 ltr. boxes. Beer is not a problem. Safe travels

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's not MY name that will do you any good with Carlos, it's MotorhomeFun! Anyway his daughters run the outfit now although he still (as far as I am aware) gets involved. Better chance of a discount if you've a small group.

We get a Christmas card from him every year!

Thoughts. We all seem to use Voyages Normandie (Carlos) for our Morocco ferry tickets, but does anybody know what using the many kiosks you see along the Spanish roads would cost?

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
It's not MY name that will do you any good with Carlos, it's MotorhomeFun! Anyway his daughters run the outfit now although he still (as far as I am aware) gets involved. Better chance of a discount if you've a small group.

We get a Christmas card from him every year!

Thoughts. We all seem to use Voyages Normandie (Carlos) for our Morocco ferry tickets, but does anybody know what using the many kiosks you see along the Spanish roads would cost?

A very very good question but It appears that the French also buy from Carlos, I guess they would go else where if it was cheaper .

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We’re first-timers, planning on crossing over to France early/mid Jan. and taking about a week to drive down to Algeciras. We’d be happy to meet up with others for start of trip.
Really looking forward to the new experience! :):):)

Reactions: Nik

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_20180809-164052_Facebook.jpg
this is the hose that connects directly to fill point. Other end fits Moroccan bottle exactly. I just left outside in bag, and put in garage when traveling. Was easiest solution for me.
It uses your own regulator.
Have read that using bbq not recomended as gas flowing in opposite direction to what designed for.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Beware of Moroccan gas and secumotion regulators. Twice we have used moroccan gas and both times we ve ended up with a blocked regulator ( the second time I had the truma filters on and it still happened). I ve spoken to other people who have the same issue and carry a spare bottle regulator with them just in case.

The Morrocan gas is cheap and readily available but my advise would be to try and get a refill in spain before you go. Last time we were down there (2016) the marina at estopona was offering to refill standard UK bottles and there are quite a few autogas station in spain.

If you run out and need propane in Agadir province, Camping Bakanou near Tifnit will do it
https://www.campercontact.com/en/marocco/marokko/tifnit/23290/bakanou they refilled one of ours and it did seem better than the normal stuff, if you look on the reviews 3rd one down got a refill last year ( I think thats the only way he gets people to stop there though).

The french connector works with the Moroccan bottles

We re unable to plan too much in advance but expecting to make our fourth trip late January back for Easter. Happy to help people who are crossing at the same time with the paperwork, but it really isnt difficult - just a bit time consuming.

Hope to meet a few of you over there and re meet some of the people from previous trips.

Jon & Sue

btw, our tip is book an early crossing, it will probably not leave on time but it means you ve still got daylight to sort yourself out and get to the first night stop.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have 2 x 6 KG Gaslow bottles fitted with a manual changeover valve. Each bottle lasts for about 14 days when I run all my services from them. I also have 1 x 13KG Moroccan LPG bottle (I will dump this at the end of this trip). I will enter Morocco with both Gaslow bottles full and when at Tiznit purchase a propane refill for the 13 KG bottle which I will connect to the filler point with the Gaslow hose (posted on this thread), Once I run out of gas on my first bottle. As others have said the LPG in Morocco may not be of the same quality as you would buy in Europe so as an additional safeguard I have purchased this (link below) and attached it between the bottle and the Gaslow hose). That's me using the main bottle until I start my journey out of Morocco whereby I switch over to the other bottle. (There's a few days still in the first bottle sfter I disconnect the 13 KG bottle. Broken Link Removed

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I know Gaslow says their bottle has to be empty before an external bottle can be routed through it, but for the last two years if I was staying any longer than a night or two I connected up the spare (13kg Spanish bottle) anyway. All worked fine and of course the first refillable bottle lasted for ages............... In fact until the last night of our time in Maroc.

@webby1 you'd have to be careful about replacing a Gaslow bottle with a Moroccan bottle - Gaslow has two connections. Personally I'd just use the hose into the filler point, no shifting bottles about and disconnecting things that aren't meant to be.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@scotjimland
The bbq point is designed to work in a particular direction, so to use it to work in the opposite direction is not recomended.
Makes sense to me.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I believe if you buy a gas bottle at an Afrique station near the port you can take it back for a refund when you leave Morocco. I have been told Afrique gas is cleaner than others, we are Hoping to go late January for the last time (AGAIN). Funsters thinking of going should do it now as Morocco is changing fast!!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Appreciate your comments..............the lack of gas is becoming more of a problem than the alcohol :drinks:[/QUOTE]

It is possible to buy alcohol in Morocco some of tourist area Marjanes have bottle stores, the one in Essaouira definitely did in 2016 and I'm pretty sure the Agadir one does but its expensive and limited choice. The sensible thing is too stock up in Algeciras. Air suspension helps!

On a separate note you might be surprised how many locals would like a beer as a tip, but be careful because they can't be seen to be getting it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back