Is it customary to give other motorhomers a wave when driving (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Never do it, there are sooooo many on the road now you’d spend half your journey time waving to random strangers.

Absolutely and when you park up everyone ignores each other.

Plus looking at the News these days every other person we meet must be a Killer,Rapist,Conman,Poedophile,or god forbid a British politician, where have all the nice people gone.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Absolutely and when you park up everyone ignores each other.

Plus looking at the News these days every other person we meet must be a Killer,Rapist,Conman,Poedophile,or god forbid a British politician, where have all the nice people gone.

Being a (British) politician and one of those other categories is not mutually exclusive, I fear.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo EK
Exp
Since 2012
I wave, one handed to all MH's if I miss two or three on the trot or start waving at delivery vans I figure it's time to take a break

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I like waving and if I'm the passenger then I'm afraid it's very enthusiastic much to my other halfs dismay, I also wave on an motorway if I'm the passenger but soon realised they can't see me but it still doesn't stop me- you never there may be another passenger like me. Not sure if there is an issue with an A class waving at a non A class but I figure your either a waver or not. Hey if the Tesco man waves back also happy to wave at him

Upvote 0

Nonose

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Gloucester.
Funster No
MH
Cl Riviera 121 (Vandora)
Exp
1previous van. Not had one for 3 years.
I previously had a pvc so there wasn't any waving. Now I have a coach built vehicle (just recently,) and was surprised when others were waving at me. I didn't even know that this was the done thing. But now I'm happy to wave as when I'm driving in my moho life is good and the vibe is a happy one. As a biker, I always nod. It's tribal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Alienonboard

Free Member
Apr 22, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
MH
Exp
3 years
Been waving at every motor home during our tour of Dorset this autumn and had about 10% return a wave.

Almost got to the stage of raising a middle finger just to get a response. :)

LOL in my recent Scottish highland trip both my husband and myself waved at every MH but noticed zero return rate amongst the rental MH people ( says on their vehicle) and 100% return wave from real MH owners. Interesting!

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
I find size matters and I enter a meltdown when deciding at what size do I stop waving. I don't wave to camper vans. But this is more to do with me thinking they do not want a wave than the fact my toilet flushes. Open to waving at anyone If it makes the journey happier.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Try and wave generally.. but as a solo I'm quite often distracted by my satnav.. bloody awful radio reception..which drawer or locker have I forgotten to shut.. or whats that thats broken behind me ..

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Just came back from a 4 day trip to Lincolnshire. Now I know how the Queen feels waving all day long. Rumour has it that she isn't waving, but wafting Prince Phillips' flatulence problem:LOL:
Interestingly the only 'vans that didn't wave back were the very largest RVs:notworthy2::whistle2:

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2019
Basildon in Essex
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Since 2008
5A243A19-BAEC-4031-BE13-EDA03B15EAE9.jpeg
I get my Ex-Wife to Wave when she occupies the passenger seat. I pull on the Fishing Line and her right hand waves. Mind You ! Does bring a shocked look from some Motorhomers
:LOL:

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I really wanted a special sort of wave when I was behind a moho on the M5 today. They had left their rooflight fully open. I couldn't think of any sensible way to alert them.

...I'm assuming that driving with a rooflight fully open is not actually a good idea?

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
F
I really wanted a special sort of wave when I was behind a moho on the M5 today. They had left their rooflight fully open. I couldn't think of any sensible way to alert them.

...I'm assuming that driving with a rooflight fully open is not actually a good idea?

Funnily enough we had the same situation last week. We pulled along side in the middle lane when it was safe to do so and I pointed upwards. He understood and pulled over onto the hard shoulder.

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I thought I'd travel to Finland purely to get some feedback on the waving etiquette hear and it's time to report back...

The Finns bloody love a wave, bloody love it so they do. Usually driver and passenger but nearly always driver. Passed about 50 today and practically all waved apart from one couple who looked mid-domestic, I feel we should give them a pass.

I have tweeked my waving style though and unfortunately for A-class owners I've decided to put you on the banned list with PVC's ice cream trucks and home removal firms. It's nothing personal and I may even be joining your gang soon but from my travels in various countries I'd say A-classers are least likely to wave.

It's not like they can say they didn't see me, look at the size of their bloomin windows!

Upvote 0

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Is it customary to give other motorhomers a wave when driving ? In Australia its the done thing to give a little wave as you pass on the road.
We have only just started motor homing and we have been waived at by all but one fellow motorhomes. We were amazed by how many did it so now we wave all the time :welc:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We have only just started motor homing and we have been waived at by all but one fellow motorhomes. We were amazed by how many did it so now we wave all the time :welc:
£80 fine and 6 points if you dont. I tend to lift a finger to acknowledge and return complimentary waves and sometimes just raise a finger ?

Upvote 0

seakay22

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Malibu GT600
Exp
Since 2002
'Is it customary to give other motorhomers a wave when driving?'

I would say yes.. until I get ignored twice in a row at which point I switch to no.

So I stop waving which makes me feel guilty when waved at so I switch back to yes again.

When I've had enough of the above cycle I default to a small hand raise whenever I see another van approaching whilst maintaining 100% visual focus on the road ahead ensuring that I avoid both guilt and disappointment in equal measure.

Hope that helps ??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I find size matters and I enter a meltdown when deciding at what size do I stop waving. I don't wave to camper vans. But this is more to do with me thinking they do not want a wave than the fact my toilet flushes. Open to waving at anyone If it makes the journey happier.

I have a converted doblo, no waves ? am a waver in the coachbuilt. and really miss them. Getting a 'camper' decal for the front window (it's a high van) see if that helps
:giggler::giggler:

Upvote 0

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I thought I'd travel to Finland purely to get some feedback on the waving etiquette hear and it's time to report back...

The Finns bloody love a wave, bloody love it so they do. Usually driver and passenger but nearly always driver. Passed about 50 today and practically all waved apart from one couple who looked mid-domestic, I feel we should give them a pass.

I have tweeked my waving style though and unfortunately for A-class owners I've decided to put you on the banned list with PVC's ice cream trucks and home removal firms. It's nothing personal and I may even be joining your gang soon but from my travels in various countries I'd say A-classers are least likely to wave.

It's not like they can say they didn't see me, look at the size of their bloomin windows!

We have an A class and always wave - hubby even gets a bit carried away sometimes - tries to do it on motorways and dual carriageways which I think is a bit excessive the distance is too far - even with our large blooming window :giggle: but he’s happy which is the main thing

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I wave at all fellow motorhomers coming the other way on single carriageways even while waiting at a roundabout and will respond to those who initially wave at me on dual carriageways. I even had a French owner wave at me today as we came out of the Carrefour carpark in Ouistreham. It's a small friendly gesture which costs nothing.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong but over recent months I've noticed that the newer and posher the moho the less they wave.

Upvote 0

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I wave at all fellow motorhomers coming the other way on single carriageways even while waiting at a roundabout and will respond to those who initially wave at me on dual carriageways. I even had a French owner wave at me today as we came out of the Carrefour carpark in Ouistreham. It's a small friendly gesture which costs nothing.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong but over recent months I've noticed that the newer and posher the moho the less they wave.
They generally have the Butler in the back wave for them

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We may have a dirt great window in the A class but I still require glasses to see who you are waving at??

I wave to all and sundry and I figure I must be able to convert at least one in ten non wavers to the happy side of life. If not, the sodding miserable buggers will reflect later in life and realise what boring farts they were.

Keep on waving and the miserable sods will see that it’s better to be happy in a motor home than be grumpy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back