Is it customary to give other motorhomers a wave when driving (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
re: Hands off steering wheel: Some of us learnt
to do hand signals part of our driving test.
I guess that would be a challenge too far nowadays for Essex folk.
Essex Lion.jpg

Upvote 0

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
I like the idea if waving. It gives me an air of approachability and friendliness - and I did have a friend once.
Over in Togo (not in the moho), often the car in front will tip their off-side indicator on as a warning against overtaking if they see traffic ahead coming our way. Quaint.

Upvote 0

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We get as many waves now as we ever did. In fact, in my experience, it's rare to meet non-wavers,

Mind you that is likely because we'll probably wave first, I think you'd have to be a special type of miserable sod to see a wave and not return it. And the odd time this does happen; I'm sure I catch a glimpse of their motorhome facts stickers. :D

Agreed .. In UK we wave at every MH, if you dont wave back your either too miserable or didnt see us :LOL:

We are all part of the same club, lets have FUN.

When I owned a Subaru Impreza, we all waved to each other.

Its FUN, c'mon :cool:

Upvote 0

Grandyandy

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Darlington
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since July 2016
Started waving at other bikers in the seventies, then other reliant drivers in the eighties, strangely at other Suzuki Wagon R drivers in the nineties, then after something of a hiatus motor homes from 2016. Mind you I still have to stop the gaffer waving at Tesco "ambulances".

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2018
South Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 590 RL
Exp
Since 2015
We always wave first and very often get waves in return, though not so often from Tesco and Asda vans. Even get waves and a smile back from cyclists.

Enjoy, from Pauline and Roy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Having changed my motorhome for an auto sleeper, (still have a shower, toilet, fridge hob, oven, beds, storage) I am missing the waves, I have waved without thinking and have not had one back in return, I can only think that its because I look like a camper van, these do not have the facilities of an auto sleeper or a MH , other than that maybe it's a snob thing, either way I miss the waves. :(

Upvote 0

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
Is it customary to give other motorhomers a wave when driving ? In Australia its the done thing to give a little wave as you pass on the road.

In North Yorkshire and Essex the wave is a bit more restrained. In Nth Yorkshire the driver will briefly lift their index finger. Whereas in Essex it is usually the middle finger :eek:
:D2:D2

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Always wave mostly get return waves...except for PVCs...in our 6 week recent trip through France popping into Spain it was great fun lots of motorhomes of all types 99.9% waved apart from PVCs one 1 returned my wave. I shall not bother with PVCs in future.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Always wave mostly get return waves...except for PVCs...in our 6 week recent trip through France popping into Spain it was great fun lots of motorhomes of all types 99.9% waved apart from PVCs one 1 returned my wave. I shall not bother with PVCs in future.
I think that the problem with PVCs is that most drivers don't recognize them as MHs until they are almost past by which time it is too late for them to return the PVCs wave. In time PVC drivers simply don't wave as often as they have been p****d off by MHs not returning their wave :D2

Upvote 0

Downtontraveller

Free Member
Apr 18, 2018
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Elddis 2 berth
Exp
Just started
If you wave you might meet again and actually have to talk to them I can't think of anything worse

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
If you wave you might meet again and actually have to talk to them I can't think of anything worse

Absolutely !!! Albeit we are a friendly group, there are “them” people that you take an instant dislike to ???, but on the other hand there’s been them, at first impression, you think I don’t like him/her, but when you get to know them, they ain’t so bad after all, but that still leaves us in a quandary ??

Upvote 0

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I sometimes wave depending on how many others we have passed as it can get a bit tiresome

What I can't understand is people waving at me from the other side of the M5 personally I find that a bit ridiculous and I never wave back across a motorway nothing personal I just think that's a step too far

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I thought it was a legal requirement with records kept of waves received and waves given. The records have to be kept for 7 years and available for inspection at any time by any duly authorised individual. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
Does this apply to PVCs? I used to wave in the Autotrail and other coachbuilts would wave back but never had a return wave from a PVC.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Usually lift a couple of fingers to Brits, both PVC, coach and even tuggers, and I flash them back in when they overtake me (not trailer tents - filthy habit)
What does surprise me is how few lorries now flash us back in (i pull a toad now). When I first started tugging a caravan, there was headlights, indicators and spots going like a demented christmas tree. Not so now.

Make it a thing for 2019. Wave at each other and flash back in.

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Usually lift a couple of fingers to Brits, both PVC, coach and even tuggers, and I flash them back in when they overtake me (not trailer tents - filthy habit)
What does surprise me is how few lorries now flash us back in (i pull a toad now). When I first started tugging a caravan, there was headlights, indicators and spots going like a demented christmas tree. Not so now.

Make it a thing for 2019. Wave at each other and flash back in.

As you say it rarely happens now ?

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
As you say it rarely happens now ?
I find get flashed back in when overtaking pretty much every time in UK , not so much in Europe. I also return the favour .
Might be the bigger the vehicle the more they empathize ?

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
I do wave (not many replies ?) I do flash people in, tuggers (all types, caravans, lorries etc) and of course moho's, but very rarely get a response or a thank you.

I always find when we're abroad they are looking at my passenger seat, mine being a RHD

Upvote 0

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I do flash people in, tuggers (all types, caravans, lorries etc) and of course moho's, but very rarely get a response or a thank you.

Not sure if people are aware but when I was driving trucks the thank you code was simply 2 flashes of the vehicles left indicated as it was pulling back in

Some people think a flash of one then the other is a thank you and yes it can be but the main one is two left flashes

Just saying in case people were thinking they were not being acknowledged when they were

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back